Kicking off session ideas

Stevie Lewis

Oct 20, 2016, 12:00:25 PM10/20/16
to plots-ba...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,
The Barnraising is coming up quickly and things are getting exciting! Each year we open up this group as a way to connect before the event. It's a great space to share ideas and questions with others who are coming.

I wanted to kick off this thread to brainstorm ideas for Barnraising sessions. While the event is hosted in an unconference style, and we'll set the schedule together in person, it's good to get ideas flowing on what people are interested in doing/sharing/learning. Reply here with ideas or post them on the Barnraising page under session ideas.

Looking forward to it, and if you haven't registered be sure to do so before the end of the month!!

Best,
Stevie

Maria del C Lamadrid

Oct 20, 2016, 1:37:07 PM10/20/16
to plots-ba...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I propose this: Delight and horizontal collaboration are strategies often overlooked when designers (or makers, take your pic!) try to bring innovation to dire civic problems such as environmental issues. During the Barnraising I wish to collaborate on about decolonizing making at the very early stages. Also collaboratively explore how to build projects where design avoids being complicit with structural inequalities by embracing horizontalism.

This is somewhat vague, but I think sometimes I am way more interested in how we can create a process to propose "new tools" than the approach of someone submitting a note on something they have already started and then people crowdsource "improvements" on it.

Best,

María del C. Lamadrid
diseñadora gráfico
(787)308-6459
purple....@gmail.com
Esta dirección de correo-e es privada. Favor de no incluirla en listas privadas o públicas, como tampoco dársela a otros. Este correo electrónico y, en su caso, cualquier fichero anexo al mismo,contiene información de carácter confidencial exclusivamente dirigida a su
destinatario o destinatarios. Queda prohibida su divulgación, copia o distribución a terceros sin la previa autorización escrita.

Jeffrey Warren

Oct 20, 2016, 1:43:40 PM10/20/16
to plots-ba...@googlegroups.com
Really interesting idea, Maria -- also, you'll be at the BR? Awesome!

For my part, i'd like to propose something along the lines of:

> Shape/improve our website without having to write code

And maybe a related, but not specific to coding -- community-wide:

> First contact and newcomer engagement brainstorm (activities, Q&A, outreach, etc etc)

Liz Barry

Nov 1, 2016, 2:36:35 PM11/1/16
to plots-ba...@googlegroups.com
Alright, i added these three ideas to https://publiclab.org/barnraising#Post+session+ideas+below!

Really great. Does anyone have others that they were thinking about?

Liz Barry

Nov 2, 2016, 1:47:44 PM11/2/16
to plots-ba...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to suggest a session on translating publiclab.org into other languages. The platform we're using, Transifex, is pretty fun i think. Here's translation progress so far, on whatever languages people have requested:

Inline image 1

Jeffrey Warren

Nov 2, 2016, 2:27:02 PM11/2/16
to plots-ba...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all!

I'd like to propose a table where people can post questions and answers on post-its, as a real-life version of our new Q&A feature; we can have a laptop open there too so they can be posted online as well if folks like. Yellow post-its for questions, green for answers, just like on the website?

Also, what about a "replication science fair" -- maybe based on SpinachCon, an event where people try following each others' documentation to help refine it (i.e. point out overlooked steps or ask for clarification). Or maybe named "workshopping your docs" or something? Yeah, that's a better name.

Oh, and Lightning talks, again! Last year people said they'd be better prepared if we asked in advance with an example. Did anyone get a video of one of the talks we could link to?

Exciting!