How hot IS it? Would love some Public Lab contributions

Julia Kumari Drapkin

Jul 23, 2016, 3:34:23 PM7/23/16
to plots-barnraising
Hi all,

It's Julia from iSeeChange in New Orleans.

We are running an extreme heat experiment in Harlem with sensors this summer and bunch of awesome partners. But we're looking for any and all comments and photos from anyone in NYC or around the country about how the heat is impacting you. We're all about the conversation and we'd love to hear from you.

We're especially interested to hear if you think it's impacting your health, your habits, your work day, your home, or the way you think. Extreme heat - and night time temperatures especially- impact us in ways we don't expect.

We're on your phone or computer at www.iSeeChange.org as well as iTunes.
Just sign up for the Extreme Heat investigation and stay cool!

Thanks super much and will look forward to seeing many of ya'll down here in New Orleans soon.

Cheers, Julia
--
-----
Julia Kumari Drapkin

Willie Shubert

Jul 23, 2016, 7:10:47 PM7/23/16
to plots-ba...@googlegroups.com
Hey Julia,

Great timing on this investigation! It's the hottest year on record again and iSeeChange is poised to be really useful this hot season.

Did anyone see last month's New York Time article on how to survive a heatwave: http://nyti.ms/28KpcVw

Stay cool!

Eymund Diegel

Jul 23, 2016, 9:48:57 PM7/23/16
to plots-ba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julia

Cool study !

Am attaching a New York City map showing NASA Heat Map data from 10:30 an on 14 August 2002, a historical heat wave period.

In Orange are the areas of the City that were over a 116 degrees Fahrenheit.

Most of the worst areas are industrial zones with large amounts of black asphalt and few trees.

Manhattan gets off relatively easy because of a lot of cross shading by tall buildings. There is a lot to be learnt from islamic architecture techniques for natural ventilation and cooling here, as we replan cities for increasing heat events.

A data surprise is that a lot of the "hot spots" are in parks, which one would expect to be cooler.

Some of the hottest spots in the entire city are the new synthetic astroturf parks.

Astroturf is being used as a more "sustainable" alternative than traditional grass, but can reach temperatures as high as 130 Fahrenheit on Heat Dome days. A technical report on the debate is attached.

Astroturf: what are better alternatives ?

​Clearly as people consider cranking up their air conditioners (and making outside even hotter) your study will spark some useful debates about what local citizens can do to advocate for "cool" land use planning and more intelligent use of materials.

Eymund

Old fashioned community survival technique :)

1910 - Licking Blocks of Ice on a hot day

courtesy of the US Library of Congress

2006_Astroturf vs lawns debate_or-newturfwar-06.pdf

Julia Kumari Drapkin

Jul 24, 2016, 10:41:25 AM7/24/16
to plots-barnraising
Thanks Willie! Thanks Eymund! Will send these to the team - and yes, have been paying attention to the turf choices on playgrounds lately. Really important stuff to monitor with kids on hot days!

We are hoping/planning to bring more remote sensing data to sync with people's posts so thank you for this map, Eymund--can you send us the instrument/sourcing?

And any and all thoughts or feedback on the app or web app experience is appreciated. We're piloting in Harlem with heat sensors, New Orleans with standing water, and drought and tree monitoring with some of our partners and trying to figure out how to be of service to monitor weather and climate in our communities.

Ya'll are the best. Thanks again, Julia

Klie Kliebert

Jul 28, 2016, 11:22:47 AM7/28/16
to plots-ba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julia,

It was nice to meet you briefly last week! I work with Public Lab but also do social media for Water Works, where we partner with many local organizations and water projects.  Let me know if you have any panels or workshops in New Orleans coming up, or if you're just looking for local participants for the flood investigation - I'd love to help you spread the word through Water Works if you think that'd be beneficial.

Best,
Klie
R. Kliebert
Operations Manager
Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science

Liz Barry

Jul 28, 2016, 11:24:31 AM7/28/16
to plots-ba...@googlegroups.com
I heard the iSeeChange story about heat in east harlem on the radio this AM! WNYC

Julia Kumari Drapkin

Jul 28, 2016, 12:27:17 PM7/28/16
to plots-barnraising
We'd LOVE that Klie. Lets tag up this week.

Cheers, Julia

Eric Kugler

Jul 28, 2016, 12:32:51 PM7/28/16
to plots-ba...@googlegroups.com, Maria Brodine
I'm sure Groundwork Nola would be interested with their work in the L9 and the Earth Lab, check with Maria Brodine Cc'd on this email.

   Also, as a soccer player and referee I know those artificial turf fields get beaucoup hot!   I'd be interested in helping to do a little investigating.

     Keep up the good work and stay cool!

       Eric

Julia Kumari Drapkin

Jul 28, 2016, 12:32:58 PM7/28/16
to plots-barnraising
And yes, LIz--it's pretty amazing what we're finding out about life without AC in NYC public housing.  Ya'll can check out the story here. More soon on the sensor data- it's telling so far.

But you don't have to live in Harlem to participate.  We'd like to hear from any one any where about how extreme heat impacts you- the way you feel, think, your daily habits. Any and all contributions to extreme heat investigations can contribute to more stories and more insights.

Cheers, J

Julia Kumari Drapkin

Jul 28, 2016, 12:35:23 PM7/28/16
to plots-barnraising
That's awesome Eric and Maria- definitely let's talk. And yes, tell us how hot those soccer turf fields get/feel. We can rock a soccer investigation. : ) xxj