Re: [plots-airquality] Fw: [plots-infrared] silica detection in the TIR

Liz Barry

Sep 25, 2014, 9:48:30 AM9/25/14
to Courtney Kearney, plots-ai...@googlegroups.com, plots-ba...@googlegroups.com
bumping this back up as I"m wondering if anyone is proposing a Barnraising session on particle detection?

--

Liz Barry
director of community development

Love our work? Become a Public Lab Sustaining Member today!

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Courtney Kearney <kearney....@yahoo.com> wrote:
This is probably more relevant to this group.

I also wanted to add that this absorption feature of silica is also used in dust storm detection using satellites.  The storms are typically too big for ground imaging so satellites are used but the theory is the same.  But for comparison purposes, I'd imagine the particle composition and size distribution would be similar to fracking sand (or at least more so compared to volcanic ash).

and it looks like cheap open source thermal cameras for phones are about to debut :).

cheers,
courtney

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. -Marcus Tullius Cicero

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:59 PM, kearney.courtney <kearney....@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if there's been much of a conversation concerning the silica monitoring but there's been a lot of work done on this for volcanic eruptions using remote sensing.  Volcanic ash is dominated by silica and is heavily monitored using TIR satellites due to the absorption features of silica in the 10-12 um range.  A variety of research groups have worked on using thermal cameras to image these plumes from the ground and air using a brightness temperature difference technique. Things that would have to be considered include the particle size distribution (which may be fairly constant if the sand is coming from a single source), atmospheric water vapor and the viewing angle.  This is a different approach to measuring the particles directly but thought it might be of interest down the line if a cheaper TIR camera can be built/bought.  Below is a paper describing some of the background theory and a camera based on this.

Enjoy!
Courtney

Mathew Lippincott

Sep 25, 2014, 12:25:38 PM9/25/14
to Liz Barry, Courtney Kearney, plots-ai...@googlegroups.com, plots-ba...@googlegroups.com
this sounds like something that could be picked up by the iSpex project:
http://spie.org/x91494.xml

--
Post to this group at plots-ai...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-airquality" group.