Information about hydrogen sulfide reactions?

1 view

Gretchen Gehrke

Sep 8, 2017, 4:12:25 PM9/8/17
to plots-airquality
Hi Air Quality Folks,

I'm interested in comparing a few hydrogen sulfide monitoring methods, including a couple of DIY methods involving silver halide photo paper (described here: https://publiclab.org/wiki/hydrogen-sulfide-sensor) and elemental copper rods (described here: https://publiclab.org/notes/sharon-wilson/3-21-2012/copper-rod-test-h2s). There are a lot of open questions regarding the sensitivity and selectivity of these methods, and I'm trying to do background research to get a sense for how quickly hydrogen sulfide oxidizes in the air under various environmental conditions (e.g. UV intensity, humidity, etc) and how quickly the silver halide and copper substrates may react under UV and/or with oxygen versus with hydrogen sulfide. I've posted a couple of questions about this on the Public Lab website:

It's been surprising to me how challenging it's been to find these reaction rates -- it seems like the vast majority of hydrogen sulfide research focuses on dissolved H2S gas in water or biogenic H2S in sulfidic sediments. If anyone has any resources regarding reaction rates in ambient air, I'd appreciate it! Please respond to this thread or as answers or comments on my posted questions. THANK YOU!

Also, if anyone has access to either of these papers, I would greatly appreciate a copy!

Thanks!
Gretchen