Good guides on doing a photo survey of a site?

Jeffrey Warren

Mar 14, 2017, 3:01:12 PM3/14/17
to publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, plots-airquality, organ...@publiclab.org, plots-gulfcoast, publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all! I've heard from both community groups and environmental lawyers that doing a basic photographic survey of a place is a really good first step in documenting almost any environmental problem. There are some great comments on this [in the June 2016 OpenHour on "Proof"](https://publiclab.org/wiki/openhour-archive#June+6th:+Exploring+Proof), for example.

I'm hoping we can include this as [part of our Methods page](/methods), and am looking for a good existing guide we can point people at. Does anyone know of some, hopefully illustrated or with photos (and example photos) for the kinds of photos and other information that make up a good basic description of an environmental problem's effect on a site?

But please chime in here or in the comments on the site -- I know they're out there!

Thanks, all!
Jeff

Julia Kumari Drapkin

Mar 14, 2017, 5:37:49 PM3/14/17
to plots-g...@googlegroups.com, publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, plots-airquality, organ...@publiclab.org, publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

We did this video on how to do it for weather and climate related photo surveys. Hope it helps. Cheers, J

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdaFXg6Roo0

-----
Julia Kumari Drapkin
 ISeeChange, CEO and Founder
+1 (917) 720-7327
julia...@gmail.com; ju...@iseechange.org
www.ISeeChange.org
Twitter: @juliakumari; #iseechange; @iseechange
Skype: juliekumari
Facebook: www.facebook.com/iSeeChange

--
Public Lab mailing lists (http://publiclab.org/lists) are great for discussion, but to get attribution, open source your work, and make it easy for others to find and cite your contributions, please publish your work at http://publiclab.org
---

Jeffrey Warren

Mar 14, 2017, 6:08:52 PM3/14/17
to plots-gulfcoast, publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, plots-airquality, organ...@publiclab.org, publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-...@googlegroups.com
Oh, awesome, thanks!

I added that to the page, and also a bit about CameraV, which is designed for documenting human rights issues with good metadata:

To Capture Photographic Evidence of an Incident

The InformaCam system, and specifically the CameraV app, is well suited for capturing photographic evidence of an incident of any nature. This could range from the aftermath of a car accident, to the damage of property during a natural disaster. It could also be used to document violence between citizens, or between police or military forces and citizens.

The goal in any of these cases is to capture the state of some thing, at a specific point of time, and then share that media evidence with an authority that can use it for the application of justice or monetary compensation. In this case, the encrypted storage and verification features help prove that the evidence was not tampered with, and was captured at the time and place that matches the crime.

A secondary goal could be for advocacy and awareness. Using CameraV in this cases helps bolster your case, to provide proof to your broader public audience that what they are seeing is true, authentic and unmodified.

Liz Barry

Mar 14, 2017, 7:11:09 PM3/14/17
to publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-gulfcoast, publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, plots-airquality, organ...@publiclab.org, plots-...@googlegroups.com
These are fantastic links! Inspiring!
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "publiclab-midwest" group.

Castner, Jessica

Mar 15, 2017, 12:36:57 PM3/15/17
to Liz Barry, publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-gulfcoast, publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, plots-airquality, organ...@publiclab.org, plots-...@googlegroups.com

In an academic,  local government, faith community partnership, we engaged the community by hiring a musically gifted student to pilot a project using Photovoice to document grassroots environmental concerns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGJe-2nfUcU . Local policy-makers have continued several initiatives that build upon and parallel the concerns we addressed in the video, as well as continuing to use photos and youtube to gather data and communicate ongoing initiatives.

I have attached some of the draft documents used to guide the project as examples of anyone interested in replicating the methods. Please be sure to remove specific names, phone numbers, etc. Please also note the email address listed in this guide is no longer active.

Every community and workplace setting has its own unique identity as a unit, we found that information on health related to environmental exposures (my expertise) needed to be collected in a much more private matter to match the culture and norms of our participants. However, there are other examples in the references where specific health concerns are explored openly using this method.

Thank you for the interesting projects shared here.

Sincerely,

Jessica Castner, PhD, RN

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-GulfCoast" group.

Public Lab mailing lists (http://publiclab.org/wiki/mailing-lists) are great for discussion, but to get attribution, open source your work, and make it easy for others to find and cite your contributions, please publish your work at http://publiclab.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "publiclab-midwest" group.

Post to this group at plots-ai...@googlegroups.com

---

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-airquality" group.

Grand Island Photovoice Guide_Updated 6_9_2014.pdf

Castner, Jessica

Mar 15, 2017, 2:00:52 PM3/15/17
to Castner, Jessica, Liz Barry, publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-gulfcoast, publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, plots-airquality, organ...@publiclab.org, plots-...@googlegroups.com

Please forgive the cross-posting if this is a duplicate. This email has a modified word document attached for examples/templates for those interested.

In an academic,  local government, faith community partnership, we engaged the community by hiring a musically gifted student to pilot a project using Photovoice to document grassroots environmental concerns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGJe-2nfUcU . Local policy-makers have continued several initiatives that build upon and parallel the concerns we addressed in the video, as well as continuing to use photos and youtube to gather data and communicate ongoing initiatives.

I have attached some of the draft documents used to guide the project as examples of anyone interested in replicating the methods. If you do use these as an example or template for your own projects, please note areas where you’ll want to remove the dates, places, etc. specific to our Grand Island project and edit for your own.

Grand Island Photovoice Guide_Updated 6_2_2014_inforemoved.docx

Harry Simpson

Apr 9, 2017, 5:31:13 PM4/9/17
to The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, plots-ai...@googlegroups.com, organ...@publiclab.org, plots-g...@googlegroups.com, publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-...@googlegroups.com

Jeffrey Warren

Apr 10, 2017, 3:21:00 PM4/10/17
to plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science, plots-airquality, organ...@publiclab.org, plots-gulfcoast, publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic, thanks -- i added that as well.

--
Post to this group at plots-waterquality@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "plots-waterquality" group.

Harry Simpson

Apr 23, 2017, 8:05:50 AM4/23/17
to The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science, plots-wat...@googlegroups.com, plots-ai...@googlegroups.com, organ...@publiclab.org, plots-g...@googlegroups.com, publicla...@googlegroups.com, plots-...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 3:01:19 PM UTC-4, Jeffrey Warren wrote:
Operational Outline for the Collection of Evidence

After some thought it would make sense to place the do-it-yourself (DIY) 'photo survey' information in context with recommended procedures for a site survey/crime scene processing (evidence collection).

https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/forensics/Crime-Scene-Investigation.pdf

The above is a good guideline and can be 'civilized'. It is apparent that there will be those sections that can be disregarded depending on conditions (detaining or seeking emergency services for victims and subjects).