API Display Policy question

Bruno Vellutini

Oct 19, 2013, 5:48:52 AM10/19/13
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Martin,

I created a plugin to the search engine DuckDuckGo using the PLOS Search API. It uses the api to return the top 5 research articles from PLOS that match the user query. Results are shown in an "instant answer" box above more general results (their goodies page shows more examples). This is a demo snapshot of the functionality:

I included the line "Data Provided by PLOS" on the top of the results as described in the API Display Policy. However, to make the instant box as clean as possible they suggested removing the attribution line and discussing an alternative way of attributing the data provision (the "More at PLOS" at the bottom is always displayed and links to the remaining articles related to the query).

You can check the whole discussion on this pull request. I think they tried to contact PLOS about it, but I don't know the outcome.

So, I wanted to ask you if removing the attribution line from the top is acceptable for PLOS policies. Maybe you can join the discussion directly there?

It has moved from #153 to the pull request #265, so you can comment on the latter.

Thank you for your attention!

Bruno

ps: I'm not affiliated to DuckDuckGo in any manner

Martin Fenner

Oct 22, 2013, 5:41:37 PM10/22/13
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com, Bruno Vellutini
Bruno,

thanks for your interest in the PLOS Search API. I'm responsible for the PLOS ALM API, so I leave it up to Rich Cave or Joe Osowski to answer your questions.

Best,

Martin

Am 19.10.2013 um 11:48 schrieb Bruno Vellutini <orga...@gmail.com<mailto:orga...@gmail.com>>:

Dear Martin,

I created a plugin to the search engine DuckDuckGo<https://duckduckgo.com/> using the PLOS Search API. It uses the api to return the top 5 research articles from PLOS that match the user query. Results are shown in an "instant answer" box above more general results (their goodies page<https://duckduckgo.com/goodies> shows more examples). This is a demo snapshot of the functionality:

[https://f.cloud.github.com/assets/361179/521483/2c675f18-bfab-11e2-8b54-1a9f2670bf4a.png]<https://f.cloud.github.com/assets/361179/521483/2c675f18-bfab-11e2-8b54-1a9f2670bf4a.png>

I included the line "Data Provided by PLOS" on the top of the results as described in the API Display Policy<http://api.plos.org/api-display-policy/>. However, to make the instant box as clean as possible they suggested removing the attribution line and discussing an alternative way of attributing the data provision (the "More at PLOS" at the bottom is always displayed and links to the remaining articles related to the query).

You can check the whole discussion on this pull request<https://github.com/duckduckgo/zeroclickinfo-spice/pull/153>. I think they tried to contact PLOS about it, but I don't know the outcome.

It has moved from #153<https://github.com/duckduckgo/zeroclickinfo-spice/pull/153> to the pull request #265<https://github.com/duckduckgo/zeroclickinfo-spice/pull/265>, so you can comment on the latter.

Thank you for your attention!

Bruno

ps: I'm not affiliated to DuckDuckGo in any manner

________________________________
Confidentiality Notice: This email and any attachments are solely for the use of the intended recipient, contain confidential and proprietary information, and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive messages for, or deliver them to, the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute this email and any attachments. If you think you received this email in error, please notify the sender by return email or by telephone, and delete this email and any attachments from your system.

Disclaimer/Virus Notice: The views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender and do not necessarily represent those of Public Library of Science unless otherwise specifically stated. Neither PLOS nor any of its agents accept any responsibility for any viruses that may be contained in this email or any attachments, and it is your responsibility to scan the email and any attachments.

Rich

Oct 29, 2013, 4:33:51 PM10/29/13
to plos-api-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruno,

I've reviewed your request with others at PLOS. Short answer: It's ok to remove the attribution line in your use case.

Long answer:  Search isn’t really use (and so attribution is not really necessary and/or is obvious since the results all come up PLOS). Also, the "more" line points the searcher to PLOS, but that isn’t attribution. And in any case, the use of the actual content (v. the title or DDG results headlines) would require attribution.

Best
Rich