play 2.1-RC2 is out!

peter hausel

Jan 10, 2013, 9:24:13 AM1/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

we are very pleased to announce the availability of play 2.1-RC2.

highlights:
--------------
- dependency updates (scala 2.10 final, akka 2.1 final etc.)
- new HTML encoding
- running tests in forked mode by default (no more permgen leaks)
- finalizing thread pool/ExecutionContext design
- improvements to iteratee IO lib
- improvements to JSON API
- improvements to Evolutions
- improvements to validation

how to install:
-----------------
2) or change the play version in project/plugins.sbt to "2.1-RC2"

important! this release comes with an sbt update, so please change your sbt version in project/build.properties to 0.12.2-RC2

Let us know what you think.

Play Team

mirkoadari

Jan 10, 2013, 9:29:32 AM1/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Good job!

Nico

Jan 10, 2013, 9:39:05 AM1/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Cool !

I just downloaded it, but the "play" and "framework/build" scripts were not executable, I had to "chmod +x" on MacOS.

Nico

Jan 10, 2013, 10:01:24 AM1/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
oups, nevermind, the executable bits are ok.

sorry !

And I just updated my 2.1-RC1, it works like a charm, thanks again !

mirkoadari

Jan 10, 2013, 10:07:39 AM1/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Still seeing two issues:
- Page loads in development mode are slow, assets take forever to load. No such issue in production.
- Exceptions on shutdown, both in dev and prod mode

Nilanjan Raychaudhuri

Jan 10, 2013, 10:44:46 AM1/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
What kind of exception?

Thanks
Nilanjan, Developer & Consultant
Typesafe Inc.

Daryl

Jan 10, 2013, 11:02:45 AM1/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I was hoping RC2 would fix some of the subproject/routes issues I have been seeing in this post:

Unfortunately these still exist.

Can anybody help with this?

thanks

Daryl.

mirkoadari

Jan 10, 2013, 11:27:59 AM1/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

Caoilte O'Connor

Jan 10, 2013, 11:53:34 AM1/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
- running tests in forked mode by default (no more permgen leaks)

Awesome!

Luis Ángel Vicente Sánchez

Jan 10, 2013, 12:00:25 PM1/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I would say that you are not cancelling the tasks you have scheduled... but I'm just guessing. Have you tried to override the onStop method on your Global object and to cancel your taks there?

Kind regards,

Luis

2013/1/10 mirkoadari <mirko...@gmail.com>

mirkoadari

Jan 10, 2013, 12:05:45 PM1/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
No, I'm not cancelling my tasks. They get canceled once Akka system shuts down. The problem is that database is stopped before Akka.

Ben McCann

Jan 10, 2013, 1:38:00 PM1/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Woohoo!

virtualeyes

Jan 10, 2013, 3:54:22 PM1/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Slow assets generation has been an issue all along with 2.1 AFAIK.

Would love to decouple .coffee and .less assets generation from the framework -- that is the single biggest development time waster -- change a file, sbt compiles in 1 second, but it takes 3-5 seconds to run it in a browser, doh.

Obviously gets worse the more assets you have.

Perhaps this is possible? Have not yet looked into it, just assumed Play's goal to be a 1-stop-shop framework meant the nuts & bolts (routing, assets, controllers, etc.) are built-in/fixed.

Ben McCann

Jan 10, 2013, 5:56:34 PM1/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
For asset generation, the thing that I think works well for compiling JavaScript at least is to have two modes. For the Closure Compiler integration that I created, in development mode it loads the JS with some error checking but without all the minimization so that it's much faster and more readable for developers. Then when you run "play dist" it creates a fully optimized version. It might be possible to do something with the CSS if you're having a problem with it.

-Ben

about.me/benmccann

Laurent Marchal

Jan 10, 2013, 6:12:42 PM1/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Great jobs guys !

FYI I highly recommend doing a 'play clean-all' after updating your projects to this version. A 'play clean' was not enough for me and I had a bunch of compilation problems.

Regards,
Laurent.

Guillaume Bort

Jan 10, 2013, 6:26:53 PM1/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Not really. 0.12.2 just fix an important problem about forkInTest. If you don't plan to run tests on heroku, it's ok to stay with 0.12.1

On 10 janv. 2013, at 19:59, Peter Rakhunov <prak...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is there an issue on still continuing to use sbt 0.12.1 instead of 0.12.2-RC 2? Heroku won't let you deploy on an unstable build of SBT.

peter hausel

Jan 10, 2013, 7:16:11 PM1/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
you can configure to use the native, node.js based coffescript compiler instead of the rhino one:

mirkoadari

Jan 11, 2013, 2:07:35 AM1/11/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I don't mind the asset compilation speed itself. The problem is that we haven't changed the asset files and page still loads assets slowly. We will try to gather more data and create an issue in lighthouse.

Alex Jarvis

Jan 11, 2013, 5:24:22 AM1/11/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

- running tests in forked mode by default (no more permgen leaks)

Thanks for this Peter!

Jason Pearson

Jan 10, 2013, 4:20:27 PM1/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Handling coffee / less compilation outside of Play does speed it up a lot.  That said, the only way I've seen to do it is have custom shell scripts, which feels very hacked together.

--

Message has been deleted

Julien Richard-Foy

Jan 11, 2013, 10:02:28 AM1/11/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Sometimes you need to clear your sbt cache (in ~/.sbt/).

Cristian Duicu

Jan 11, 2013, 10:17:39 AM1/11/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Good tip, Laurent!
Does anyone know why running 'play clean-all' works but running 'clean-all' command from inside the play console does not? Why is there a discrepancy between available commands? And where can I get a full list of commands available? I apologize if the questions are too trivial.
Btw - this is on Windows.

Laurent

Jan 11, 2013, 10:27:28 AM1/11/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Looks like  'play clean-all' cleans the sbt-cache which is good when upgrading to a new version:
    If something goes wrong and you think that the sbt cache is corrupted, use the clean-all command for your OS command line to clean all generated directories.
http://www.playframework.org/documentation/2.0/PlayConsole

Regards,
Laurent.

virtualeyes

Jan 11, 2013, 10:58:36 AM1/11/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
"the only way I've seen to do it is have custom shell scripts"

Care to share? ;-) I could care less (no pun intended) about hacked solutions, just looking for more rapid fire code-change-browser-refresh cycles -- current setup really slows down UI development end of things.

Thanks
Message has been deleted

Mirko Adari

Jan 11, 2013, 12:07:41 PM1/11/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
This means that your play command (in play distribution) is of version
2.1-RC1, while your application requires 2.1-RC2

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Alex <pa...@studioliddell.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Cleaned .sbt
>
> run play and I get:
>

> This project uses Play 2.1-RC2!
> Update the Play sbt-plugin version to 2.1-RC1 (usually in
> project/plugins.sbt)
>
> :(

Julien Richard-Foy

Jan 11, 2013, 2:32:52 PM1/11/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Use sbt instead of the play command.

Michael Slinn

Jan 12, 2013, 8:52:43 AM1/12/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
The Play Framework site is still showing 2.1-RC1, without any mention of RC2

Michael Slinn

Jan 12, 2013, 9:23:57 AM1/12/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Message has been deleted

MG

Jan 12, 2013, 12:07:59 PM1/12/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Check your $PATH variable and make sure that you have Play 2.1-RC2 in your path.

HTH,
Mohammed

On Friday, January 11, 2013 8:53:42 AM UTC-8, Alex wrote:
Hi

Cleaned .sbt

run play and I get:

This project uses Play 2.1-RC2!
Update the Play sbt-plugin version to 2.1-RC1 (usually in project/plugins.sbt)

:(

On Friday, January 11, 2013 3:58:36 PM UTC, virtualeyes wrote:
Message has been deleted

MG

Jan 12, 2013, 12:29:54 PM1/12/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Peter,

one of the things you listed for 2.1 RC2 is
- improvements to JSON API

Where can I find the documentation for the improvements made to JSON API in RC2? In general, where can I find the docs for all the improvements in RC2?

Thanks,
Mohammed

Will Sargent

Jan 12, 2013, 7:24:51 PM1/12/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
New problem for me on 2.1 RC2 -- I keep running out of PermGen space
after making many small changes to a web pages. I have to kill -9 the
JVM before I can get it running again.

Not a huge deal, but noticable.

Will.

Marcos Pereira

Jan 13, 2013, 1:36:39 PM1/13/13
to play-framework
Hi, what is the new way to reference minified assets? Given the following structure:

app/
|__assets/
   |__ javascripts/
      |__ custom.js
   |__ stylesheets/
      |__ custom.less

If I try to access /assets/javascripts/custom.min.js I get a 404 status, but custom.min.css works fine. In other words, minification of javascript is not working. Not sure if this is an issue, but 2.1-RC1 is working fine.

Kind Regards,

adel alfar

Jan 14, 2013, 9:53:37 AM1/14/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Awesome job!  Thank you all for your extraordinary effort!

FYI:
 I noticed the following test failure when I run the test SBT task (after publish-local of the build  against master):
info] ConcurrentSpec
[info]
info] Concurrent.buffer should
[error] x not slow down the enumerator if the iteratee is slow
[error]    9492 is not less than 1000 (ConcurrentSpec.scala:36)

mirkoadari

Jan 14, 2013, 11:51:17 AM1/14/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Any idea how to get minified javascript files back to play-copy-assets?

Ben McCann

Jan 15, 2013, 6:24:02 PM1/15/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
My experience is that this happens with Play 2.0 and Play 2.1.  A bit part of the problem is that nearly every single file depends on the routes, so when you change the routes it ends up recompiling the whole project:

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 11:28 AM, Paweł Real <pwozniak...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I changed today for RC2

BUT

when i make some changes (only one file ) and reload
from time to time it happens to recompile whole project
[info] Compiling 141 Scala sources and 143 Java sources to .....................

what is annoying - it takes ages to compile it -  really, almost 5 minutes :( :(
cpu load is about 30%, hdd almost not used (from 0KB/s to 100KB/s)
WTF ? :(

I feel that in 2.0 it was much much much more faster

about.me/benmccann

virtualeyes

Jan 15, 2013, 8:42:45 PM1/15/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Not ideal, but I've started to refactor some routes to be query string based in an attempt to reduce the dreaded change-a-route-compile-the-universe scenario; i.e. reduce total number of routes.

Of course, RESTful path based routing is far more convenient; all my CRUD routes (80% of the app) are still path based, so slow it will be for now.

Is Play 2.1 with Scala 2.10 actually slower than Play 2.1 on Scala 2.9.x?

I'm still on 2.1 snapshot + 2.9.2 (which is very good, solid, 2 apps in production, rips). Sitting on the fence though, wondering if upgrading is going to cause more headaches than highlights...

Dave Lee

Jan 16, 2013, 2:45:43 PM1/16/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Our team has stopped relying on Play for assets compilation. It was slowing UI development down way too much. It's certainly more work this way, but relatively straightforward.

For coffeescript we use the Node.js coffee compiler with the --watch option for coffee asset compilation.

For less we simply compile the files in the browser during development.

The only downside is that we need to build our own deployment scripts for the assets. Since we're using require.js this proved to be pretty straightforward. Less files are dead simple to manage. This is certainly less convenient but honestly, it took less than a day to set up the deployment scripts. We also have to keep track of asset filepaths in a configuration file (probably the biggest drawback) that can be overwritten during deployment, not at all elegant but gets the job done.

Also, in development we run play with the "~run" command which compiles scala files preemptively. With this setup we never notice any lag from changes to coffeescript files. The Node.js compiler is fast enough that we turn it on and forget it. The less files take about .5s to compile in the browser when working locally, barely noticeable.

While developing locally, the average "compilation" time whenever we refresh the browser has gone down from 20+ seconds to under 2 seconds. We don't use any scripts during development, but you will need to figure out a way to handle deployment either manually or automated through custom scripts.

virtualeyes

Jan 16, 2013, 6:26:07 PM1/16/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Wow, 20 seconds to 2 seconds, nice.

Going to give this a try, assets lag is painful.

Thanks

beardysquatch

Jan 17, 2013, 2:22:59 PM1/17/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I'm getting 404's for the Play 2.1 Java documentation (http://www.playframework.org/documentation/api/2.1-RC2/java/index.html). Is this just a link issue or is that documentation not yet available? This also happens for my local play app when I try to view the Java documentation.

Guillaume Bort

Jan 18, 2013, 3:42:03 AM1/18/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
It's a build issue I'm currently looking at.

Gulsharan Goraya

Jan 20, 2013, 10:04:03 AM1/20/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking for brew formula for Play 2.1-RC2. Is there one?

Rok Gerželj

Jan 20, 2013, 11:31:35 AM1/20/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

virtualeyes

Jan 21, 2013, 7:14:07 PM1/21/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Where do you keep your .less files and how does Play load them in development?

If I turn off .less compilation (by setting a bogus lessEntryPoints path), then page loads are indeed much snappier in development, but then again .less files aren't found when testing in the browser, fast pointlessness ;-)

So, they can't live in /assets but must exist in /public, no?

coffeescriptOptions := Seq("native", "/path/to/node/bin/coffee -p") does the trick for fast(er) coffee compilation, not seeing a need to change that unless somehow having node watch coffee directory apart from Play is faster still.

Less compilation is a constant, subtle waste of time (i.e. grow to accept 5+ second delays on code change).

Mike Slinn

Jan 21, 2013, 8:29:39 PM1/21/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, virtualeyes
Noah,

I was intrigued by your coffescriptOptions setting, so I looked for
coffee. I only found
play-2.1-RC2/framework/src/sbt-plugin/src/main/scala/coffeescript

Are you using Node.js instead?

Thanks,

Mike

virtualeyes

Jan 21, 2013, 8:42:33 PM1/21/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, virtualeyes
Mike, well yeah, that's what I meant by "/path/to/node/bin/coffee -p" ;-)

Maybe should have called it node-js to be more explicit, anyway, it's at bottom of this page in the docs:

Guillaume Bort

Jan 22, 2013, 1:43:16 AM1/22/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I agree that currently all that server side javascript processing is a bit slow.

I hope that Java8 and Nashorn will help to have something as fast as with using Node.

Mike Slinn

Jan 22, 2013, 7:27:28 AM1/22/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, Guillaume Bort
Guillaume,

You are looking into the future 6-12 months. Is it not possible to write
up something more concrete with respect to this statement in the docs,
so this statement becomes immediately actionable by the reader?

coffeescriptOptions := Seq("native", "/path/to/node/bin/coffee -p"

Thanks,

Mike

Paul Smith

Jan 24, 2013, 10:09:33 AM1/24/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, Guillaume Bort
Hi All,

Just downloaded Play 2.1-RC2 and added it to the environment path.  But when I try to run the play command I get:

Getting play console_2.9.2 2.1-RC2 ...
:: retrieving :: org.scala-sbt#boot-app
        confs: [default]
        29 artifacts copied, 0 already retrieved (5976kB/631ms)
Getting Scala 2.9.2 (for console)...
:: retrieving :: org.scala-sbt#boot-scala
        confs: [default]
        0 artifacts copied, 4 already retrieved (0kB/7ms)
Error: Could not retrieve Scala 2.9.2: missing scala.tools.nsc.Global

I have had previous versions but the path is correct, when running "where play" I get:

C:\lib\play-2.1-RC2\play
:\lib\play-2.1-RC2\play.bat

Tried play clean-all, but still same outcome.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul

blackbox

Jan 24, 2013, 10:43:33 AM1/24/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

Hi!

Thanks for the great work!

However, we are currently stuck with 2 problems :
- play run does NOT cause the modified files to be recompiled when they are modified
- play ~run causes the modified scala files to be recompiled when they are modified, but not the javascript : when they are modified, we need to restart the application to be able to see the changes.

This does not seem to be such a big troubles, but it slows the development for the team quite a lot... (we have a fairly big part of our application client side, with MVC in js...)

Your help is welcome!

Best,
Sébastien

Nilanjan Raychaudhuri

Jan 24, 2013, 3:33:08 PM1/24/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, Guillaume Bort
I am confused about the scala 2.9.2, RC2 is on scala 2.10 Do you have the scala version set somewhere in the project?

Nilanjan, Developer & Consultant
Typesafe Inc.
Twitter: @nraychaudhuri

Paul Smith

Jan 24, 2013, 3:40:46 PM1/24/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thats what I thought too, so did a search in the RC2 code and found this:

val previousScalaVersion = "2.9.1"
val buildScalaVersion = "2.10.0"
val buildScalaVersionForSbt = "2.9.2"
val buildSbtVersion   = "0.12.2-RC2"
val buildSbtMajorVersion = "0.12"

So maybe its needed for SBT?

Seems to work fine on my mac, but on windows I consistently get this :(

/Paul

mateusz.ma...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2013, 4:33:27 PM1/24/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I've some weird problems with compilation stuff because
I am getting an error with message "cannot find symbol"
with both 2.1-RC1 and 2.1-RC2 versions of Play! framework
but not with 2.0.4.
Pesel is a class from models' package but I add to Application class 'import models.*;'.
Imports seems ok in my opinion.
Has anyone can account for this issue?

Guillaume Bort

Jan 24, 2013, 4:39:26 PM1/24/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
You need to import the form static method explicitely in 2.1.

import static play.data.Form.*;

Nilanjan Raychaudhuri

Jan 24, 2013, 8:45:19 PM1/24/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. Could create a ticket for this.

Nilanjan, Developer & Consultant
Typesafe Inc.
Twitter: @nraychaudhuri

Eduardo M. Cavalcanti

Jan 25, 2013, 8:20:21 AM1/25/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I also use Windows (7 64). I could migrate a project to 2.1 RC2 without this problem.
Some ideas:
- Have you by chance set Scala version to use (2.9.2) in one of your project SBT files (project folder)? Or on the default SBT config (\.sbt folder)?
- Try to install SBT 0.12.2, already available. Then modify project/build.properties accordingly (sbt.version=0.12.2)
- If you have Scala on your Windows path, install version 2.10.0 put it in the path instead.
Regards.

Paul Smith

Jan 25, 2013, 8:31:52 AM1/25/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks,  will try these out.  I also tested the same setup on a different machine and had no problems, so it is particular to just this one.

Will report back if I manage to solve it.

/Paul

Henrik

Jan 25, 2013, 9:10:15 AM1/25/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi!
I have a problem compiling my project after trying to migrate to play 2.1-RC2 together with akka 2.1.0
and changed accordingly, amongst other things:
import play.api.libs.concurrent.Execution.Implicits._
import scala.concurrent.duration._

still I cant get it to compile:

not found: value Timeout
[error]             implicit val timeout = Timeout(60 seconds)

Some details of my setup below.:

from build.properties: sbt.version=0.12.2-RC2
from plugins.sbt: addSbtPlugin("play" % "sbt-plugin" % "2.1-RC2")
from Build.scala: scalaVersion := "2.10.0"

    val appDependencies = Seq(
      "com.typesafe.akka" % "akka-actor_2.10" % "2.1.0" ,
      "com.typesafe.akka" % "akka-remote_2.10" % "2.1.0" ,
      "com.typesafe.akka" % "akka-kernel_2.10" % "2.1.0",
      "com.typesafe.akka" % "akka-transactor_2.10" % "2.1.0",
      "com.typesafe.akka" % "akka-testkit_2.10" % "2.1.0",
      "commons-codec" % "commons-codec" % "1.7"
    )

Anyone, has any idea what I have been missing?

Cheers,
Henrik

Christian Papauschek

Jan 28, 2013, 6:35:45 AM1/28/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I've got the same problem: Accessing the minified JS doesnt work, even though the Google Clojure Compiler successfully creates those minified files.

Is there already a bug report /solution?

David Maple

Jan 29, 2013, 5:11:57 PM1/29/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Same here. I just posted on the 2.1-RC3 thread as I hadn't seen this previously. Was anyone able to find an open bug for this issue or does one need to be created?

Christian Papauschek

Jan 30, 2013, 11:28:52 AM1/30/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

Peter Ingulli

Mar 5, 2013, 1:05:09 PM3/5/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Did you ever manage to fix this?  I have the same problem with no suggested fixes accomplishing it :(

Nilanjan Raychaudhuri

Mar 5, 2013, 1:46:38 PM3/5/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
This is fixed in 2.1 final release.