Play 2.2.0 is released!

James Roper

Sep 20, 2013, 12:49:48 AM9/20/13
to play-framework
The Play team is proud to announce the release of Play 2.2.0!

This is a huge release with contributions from 140 people in the Play community. The highlights from this release include:
  • New results structure for Java and Scala
  • Better control over buffering and keep alive
  • New action composition and action builder methods
  • Improved Java Promise API
  • Iteratee library execution context passing
  • SBT 0.13 support
  • New stage and dist tasks
  • Built in gzip support
For more details on the highlights, visit:

For a migration guide for upgrading from Play 2.1 to 2.2, visit:

You can download this release from:

Or, if you're interested in getting started with new Play projects with templates and tutorials to give you a head start, check out Typesafe Activator:

A big thankyou to everyone in the community that made this release happen, particularly the earlier adopters who tested our milestone and RC releases.

Enjoy!

--
James Roper
Software Engineer

Typesafe – Build reactive apps!
Twitter: @jroper

Yann Simon

Sep 20, 2013, 2:43:37 AM9/20/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
congrats!

The new API design is a good example of API evolution with minimal impacts on applications code.
Congrats for this!

Fayimora Femi-Balogun

Sep 20, 2013, 4:49:16 AM9/20/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congrats and thanks!

廖师虎

Sep 20, 2013, 10:27:20 AM9/20/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congrats and thank you very much!

在 2013年9月20日星期五UTC+8下午12时49分48秒,James Roper写道:

adel alfar

Sep 20, 2013, 11:31:57 AM9/20/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your hard work.  Please keep up the awesome work you all do!

Ryan Means

Sep 20, 2013, 11:47:37 AM9/20/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Just made the overhaul to switch over our app based on the migration guide. Everything compiles just fine and I can run the application.
Two items however:
  • Test cases are not running. They were running just fine under Play 2.1.5 (running by calling sbt test)
    • Play 2.2 reports: [info] No tests to run for test:test
  • With the Akka 2.2 upgrade, users should be aware of the deprecated 'event-handlers' call if you set up customized thread pool configuration per the documentation (i.e. for highly-synchronous applications). The new recommended configuration for highly synchronous should be:
    play {
      akka
    {
        akka
    .loggers = ["akka.event.slf4j.Slf4jLogger"]
        loglevel
    = WARNING
        actor
    {

    default-dispatcher = {
            fork
    -join-executor {
              parallelism
    -min = 300
              parallelism
    -max = 300

    }

    }

    }

    }
    }Enter code here...

I have submitted a pull request for the documentation change.

Ryan Means

Sep 20, 2013, 12:25:40 PM9/20/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
False alarm. Not sure what I did, but now my tests are running. Perhaps it was the clean-files or clean call?

Additionally - for the http://www.playframework.com/documentation/2.2.x/GzipEncoding, it's worth noting that the Java option does not work unless you also add a 'filters' option to your appDependencies. That is required so you can import the
play.filters.gzip.GzipFilter
class.

Jason Pearson

Sep 20, 2013, 12:56:20 PM9/20/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, and thanks to the Play! devs!

Eric Jain

Sep 20, 2013, 1:12:32 PM9/20/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Just ran into the same issue; can you elaborate what you mean by "add the filters option"?

Ryan Means

Sep 20, 2013, 1:35:34 PM9/20/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
In your Build.scala file where you specify your appDependencies... i.e. this is mine:

  val appDependencies = Seq(
    javaCore

,javaJdbc

,javaJpa

,cache

,filters //PLAY 2.2 to work with GZIP

,"mysql" % "mysql-connector-java" % "5.1.21"

,"org.eclipse.persistence" % "eclipselink" % "2.5.0"

,"com.jolbox" % "bonecp" % "0.8.0-rc1"

,"com.h2database" % "h2" % "1.3.172"

)

Eric Jain

Sep 20, 2013, 1:59:15 PM9/20/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, that works for me!

Michael Slinn

Sep 21, 2013, 6:56:54 AM9/21/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I have a Build.scala file that I have used since Play 2.0. It is totally broken with Play 2.2.0, and there are now zero docs on how to work with Build.scala for Play 2.2.0. There is also very little on the build.sbt format, BTW. I am quite familiar with both formats of build files, but the recent Play docs are overly terse in this respect. My Build.scala is totally broken. Almost every line shows as an error. A sample non-trivial Build.scala file for Play 2.2.0 would be most helpful.
  1. playScalaSettings is undefined for my Build.scala. Where should the statement go, or is that only for build.sbt?
  2. Which of the following imports are recommended for Build.scala, if any?
    1. import sbt._
    2. import sbt.Keys._
    3. import play.Project._
    4. import play._
  3. What are the default resolvers for Play 2.2.0?
  4. How to specify play-json, anorm, cache and jdbc dependencies in Build.scala? These are not resolved, and I do not see them in http://repo.typesafe.com/typesafe/releases/com.typesafe.play/. Perhaps I need to use a different resolver?
    val appDependencies = Seq(
      // many dependencies not shown
      "org.webjars"     %  "bootstrap" % "2.3.2",
      "com.typesafe.play" %% "anorm"      % "2.2.0",
      "com.typesafe.play" %% "cache"      % "2.2.0",
      "com.typesafe.play" %% "play-json"  % "2.2.0",
"com.typesafe.play" %% "play-jdbc" % "2.2.0" )
    resolvers ++= Seq(
      "webjars" at "http://webjars.github.com/m2",
      Resolver.url("play-plugin-releases", new URL("http://repo.scala-sbt.org/scalasbt/sbt-plugin-releases/"))(Resolver.ivyStylePatterns)
   )

James Ward

Sep 21, 2013, 11:34:35 AM9/21/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I just took a Build.scala from a Play 2.1.5 app and copied it into a
Play 2.2.0 app. I removed the build.sbt from the Play 2.2.0 app.
Everything worked fine. So I'm not sure why this isn't working for you.
Did you upgrade to sbt 0.13.0? Maybe your IDE is wrongly telling you
that your Build.scala isn't valid when it actually is.

I hope that helps.

-James

On 09/21/2013 04:56 AM, Michael Slinn wrote:
> I have a Build.scala file that I have used since Play 2.0. It is totally
> broken with Play 2.2.0, and there are now zero docs on how to work with
> Build.scala for Play 2.2.0. There is also very little on the build.sbt
> format, BTW. I am quite familiar with both formats of build files, but
> the recent Play docs are overly terse in this respect. My Build.scala is
> totally broken. Almost every line shows as an error. A sample
> non-trivial Build.scala file for Play 2.2.0 would be most helpful.
>
> 1. playScalaSettings is undefined for my Build.scala. Where should the
> statement go, or is that only for build.sbt?
> 2. Which of the following imports are recommended for Build.scala, if any?
> 1. import sbt._
> 2. import sbt.Keys._
> 3. import play.Project._
> 4. import play._
> 3. What are the default resolvers for Play 2.2.0?
> 4. How to specify play-json, anorm, cache and jdbc dependencies in
> Build.scala? These are not resolved, and I do not see them
> in http://repo.typesafe.com/typesafe/releases/com.typesafe.play/.
> Perhaps I need to use a different resolver?
>
> val appDependencies = Seq(
>
> // many dependencies not shown
> "org.webjars" % "bootstrap" % "2.3.2",
>
> "com.typesafe.play" %% "anorm" % "2.2.0",
>
> "com.typesafe.play" %% "cache" % "2.2.0",
>
> "com.typesafe.play" %% "play-json" % "2.2.0",
>
> "com.typesafe.play" %% "play-jdbc" % "2.2.0"
> )
>
> resolvers ++= Seq(
> "webjars" at "http://webjars.github.com/m2",
>
> //"Mandubian snapshots" at "https://raw.github.com/mandubian/mandubian-mvn/master/snapshots/",
>
> Resolver.url("play-plugin-releases", new URL("http://repo.scala-sbt.org/scalasbt/sbt-plugin-releases/"))(Resolver.ivyStylePatterns)
>
> )

Eric Jain

Sep 21, 2013, 11:54:58 AM9/21/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 8:34 AM, James Ward <james...@typesafe.com> wrote:
> I just took a Build.scala from a Play 2.1.5 app and copied it into a Play
> 2.2.0 app. I removed the build.sbt from the Play 2.2.0 app. Everything
> worked fine. So I'm not sure why this isn't working for you. Did you
> upgrade to sbt 0.13.0? Maybe your IDE is wrongly telling you that your
> Build.scala isn't valid when it actually is.

That's not my experience, either:

- playPackageEverything task is no longer defined (I use this to plug
in a custom gzipping task)
- lessEntryPoints appears to be ignored
- no docs on how to disable RequireJS and use closureCompilerSettings?

Ben McCann

Sep 21, 2013, 3:27:06 PM9/21/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
  • Play now includes gzip support, so perhaps you will no longer need to plug into playPackageEverything?
  • lessEntryPoints being ignored sounds like a bug. You should be sure to file one for that
  • I disabled Play's JavaScript compilation with play.Project.javascriptEntryPoints := Seq(). If you use the Play Plovr Plugin then it will do this automatically for you and allow you to set the closure compiler settings with a plovr configuration file.
Hope that helps at least some

Eric Jain

Sep 21, 2013, 6:52:36 PM9/21/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Ben McCann
<benjamin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Play now includes gzip support, so perhaps you will no longer need to plug
> into playPackageEverything?

If Play's gzip support included caching gzipped copies of static
assets (rather than re-gzipping them for each request), then yes, but
is this the case?

> lessEntryPoints being ignored sounds like a bug. You should be sure to file
> one for that

Can't reproduce this after doing a `play clean-all`, strange...

> I disabled Play's JavaScript compilation with
> play.Project.javascriptEntryPoints := Seq(). If you use the Play Plovr
> Plugin then it will do this automatically for you and allow you to set the
> closure compiler settings with a plovr configuration file.
>
> Hope that helps at least some

Thanks; I'll have a look at the Plovr plugin.

Balázs Mária Németh

Sep 23, 2013, 6:03:27 AM9/23/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hey there,

I tried to upgrade from 2.1.4-RC2 to 2.2.0, and now I cannot start the app:

[error] Modules were resolved with conflicting cross-version suffixes in {file:SOMEFILE:
[error]    org.scala-stm:scala-stm _2.10, _2.10.0
[trace] Stack trace suppressed: run last *:update for the full output.
[error] (*:update) Conflicting cross-version suffixes in: org.scala-stm:scala-stm
[error] Total time: 0 s, completed Sep 23, 2013 11:59:29 AM

I updated both the plugins.sbt and build.properties files.

Any idea?

Thanks,

Nguyen

Sep 23, 2013, 12:45:55 PM9/23/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
As per documentation regarding cache change:

Note that if you depend on plugins that depend on versions of Play prior to 2.2 then there will be a conflict within caching due to multiple caches being loaded. Update to a later plugin version or ensure that older Play versions are excluded if you see this issue

I'm using the TypeSafe Redis cache plugin (https://github.com/typesafehub/play-plugins/tree/master/redis), which only supports Play 2.1.1.  Is there a way to make it work with Play 2.2?

Niklas Nylund

Sep 23, 2013, 2:26:46 PM9/23/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Great work with the new release!

Unfortunately I am not getting anywhere with it, I followed the upgrade guide but my project doesn't seem to compile anything anymore, for example:

Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 9999
[info] Loading project definition from /Users/corrupt/gomob/cmsapi2/cmsapi/project
[info] Set current project to cmsapi (in build file:/Users/corrupt/gomob/cmsapi2/cmsapi/)
       _
 _ __
| | __ _ _  _
| '_ \| |/ _' | || |
|  __/|_|\____|\__ /
|_|            |__/

play
2.2.0 built with Scala 2.10.2 (running Java 1.6.0_51), http://www.playframework.com

> Type "help play" or "license" for more information.
> Type "exit" or use Ctrl+D to leave this console.

[cmsapi] $ compile
[success] Total time: 0 s, completed Sep 23, 2013 9:23:32 PM
[cmsapi] $ test
[info] Passed: Total 0, Failed 0, Errors 0, Passed 0
[info] No tests to run for test:test
[success] Total time: 0 s, completed Sep 23, 2013 9:23:54 PM

This is my Build.scala,

import sbt._
import Keys._
import play.Project._
import de.johoop.jacoco4sbt._
import JacocoPlugin._

object ApplicationBuild extends Build {
    val appName
= "cmsapi"
    val appVersion
= "1.0-SNAPSHOT"

    lazy val s
= Defaults.defaultSettings ++ Seq(jacoco.settings:_*)

    val appDependencies
= Seq(
      javaCore
, javaJdbc, javaEbean, cache,

"mysql" % "mysql-connector-java" % "5.1.18",

"com.typesafe" %% "play-plugins-mailer" % "2.1-RC2",

"commons-collections" % "commons-collections" % "2.1.1",

"org.jdom" % "jdom" % "2.0.2",

"commons-io" % "commons-io" % "2.4",

"commons-lang" % "commons-lang" % "2.6",

"commons-codec" % "commons-codec" % "1.8"

)

    val main
= play.Project(appName, appVersion, appDependencies, settings = s).settings(

// Add your own project settings here
      parallelExecution
in jacoco.Config := false

)
}

... and plugins.sbt
// Comment to get more information during initialization
logLevel
:= Level.Warn

// The Typesafe repository
resolvers
+= "Typesafe repository" at "http://repo.typesafe.com/typesafe/releases/"

// Use the Play sbt plugin for Play projects
addSbtPlugin
("com.typesafe.play" % "sbt-plugin" % "2.2.0")

//libraryDependencies ++= Seq(

//"org.jacoco" % "org.jacoco.core" % "0.5.9.201207300726" artifacts(Artifact("org.jacoco.core", "jar", "jar")),

//"org.jacoco" % "org.jacoco.report" % "0.5.9.201207300726" artifacts(Artifact("org.jacoco.report", "jar", "jar"))
//)

addSbtPlugin
("de.johoop" % "jacoco4sbt" % "2.1.0")

I've also set sbt.version to 0.13.0 in build.properties.

I've tried cleaning and compiling back and forth but Play doesn't do anything else than download dependencies. What could be wrong?

Niklas

Ben McCann

Sep 23, 2013, 2:39:59 PM9/23/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
sbt has really horrible caching when upgrading versions. it took me about half a day to get the projects cleaned for everyone i work with. If you're using git to track your own project then I've found that "git clean -xdf" works well (note that this deletes all files not tracked by git, so be careful you don't have any work that's not been checked in when you run this)

Niklas Nylund

Sep 23, 2013, 2:59:31 PM9/23/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the tip but unfortunately this doesn't seem to help. I tried to wipe out ~/.sbt also but that didn't help either. Has something else changed related to Build.scala? According to this thread it isn't used anymore, https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/play-framework/TaoFqHbwhxQ ?

Niklas

Ben McCann

Sep 23, 2013, 3:11:04 PM9/23/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
You can still use Build.scala. Play also added support for build.sbt, which is what the other post was referring to.

Niklas Nylund

Sep 23, 2013, 3:23:14 PM9/23/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
This seems to be some kind of regression, if I create a new project and move over my classes into app/ and test/ everything compiles.

Also, in a new project there seems to be no javaCore. I wonder why.

Niklas

Niklas Nylund

Sep 23, 2013, 3:55:57 PM9/23/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Has Ebean been upgraded? com.avaje.ebean.validation seems to have been removed.

Niklas

Pawan Kumar

Sep 24, 2013, 2:30:47 AM9/24/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hello Balazs,

I was too getting this error but adding exclude("org.scala-stm", "scala-stm_2.10.0") to the newly added library helped in excluding it till it is fixed.
e.g. "securesocial" %% "securesocial" % "master-SNAPSHOT" exclude("org.scala-stm", "scala-stm_2.10.0")

Thanks
Pawan

Fayimora Femi-Balogun

Sep 24, 2013, 2:59:05 AM9/24/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hey Pawan,
What do you mean by "to the newly added library" ? I'm having this problem too. Should we add that line to build.sbt?

Cheers,
Fayi

Sent from my iPad

Manuel Bernhardt

Sep 24, 2013, 3:22:16 AM9/24/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

for many modules / plugins that are compiled against play-2.1.x it is necessary to exclude both play and stm from my experience, by adding the exclude definitions after the library, like so:

exclude("org.scala-stm", "scala-stm_2.10.0") exclude("play", "*")

Hth,

Manuel

Christophe Marchal

Sep 24, 2013, 10:22:05 AM9/24/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

First, thanks for the great work you are doing in Play. It really rocks.

I am using Console2 and cygwin. I was using the play.bat in the previous versions of play. Unfortunately I have the following error message when running play.bat in the version 2.2.0

$ play.bat new test
Error during sbt execution: Could not find configuration file 'file:///C:/Users/Avell%20G1511/Documents/bin/play/framework/sbt/play.boot.properties'.  Searched:
        file:/C:/Users/Avell%20G1511/
        file:/C:/Users/Avell%20G1511/
        file:/C:/Users/Avell%20G1511/Documents/bin/play/framework/sbt/

Thanks
Christophe

Pawan Kumar

Sep 24, 2013, 2:18:28 PM9/24/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fayi

I was getting the error after adding securesocial (latest lib in my case). Therefore, added the exclude option. I think you should try what Manuel is saying in the thread below.

cheers
Pawan

Fayimora Femi-Balogun

Sep 24, 2013, 3:38:28 PM9/24/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pawan, Manuel,

I don't really know what library is causing this. I just tried to upgrade a sample app from 2.1.4 to 2.2 and started getting the error. I have included a screenshot of the error below incase that helps. By the way, I added that exclude statement to my build.sbt but sbt doesn't know what it is.

Inline images 1

Cheers,
Fayi
--
---------------------
Fayimora Femi-Balogun
Screen Shot 2013-09-24 at 20.34.44.png

James Roper

Sep 24, 2013, 9:36:33 PM9/24/13
to play-framework
You can get a detailed report on dependencies by opening:

target/resolution-cache/reports/yourprojectidetc-compile.xml

If you open it in a browser that supports XSLT stylesheets, eg Firefox or Safari, NOT Chrome, then it will be rendered nicely as an HTML table with hyperlinks allowing easy navigation through the tree.  This should allow you to easily work out where different versions of stm are coming from.

Screen Shot 2013-09-24 at 20.34.44.png

Cory Watson

Sep 24, 2013, 9:49:35 PM9/24/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Oooh, thanks for that tip, James. I'd been lurking waiting on some help here. Turned out it was a plugin!  The report you mentioned nailed it for me.
Cory 'G' Watson
http://www.onemogin.com
Screen Shot 2013-09-24 at 20.34.44.png

Fayimora Femi-Balogun

Sep 25, 2013, 2:31:36 AM9/25/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks James. It seems play-iteratees_2.10 is the culprit here. It's the only library requiring scala-stm 0.6. Everything else requires 0.7. Isn't play-iteratees built into the play framework?

Anyways, I included that exclude statement to my build.sbt but sbt complains about it. What do I do now? If it helps, I'm new to maven sbt and everything so please try not to make any assumptions :)

Cheers,
Fayi
Screen Shot 2013-09-24 at 20.34.44.png

Manuel Bernhardt

Sep 25, 2013, 2:54:48 AM9/25/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fayi,

the exclude statement should look like this:

libraryDependencies ++= Seq(
  "org.foo" %% "bar" % "1.0" exclude("org.scala-stm", "scala-stm_2.10.0") exclude("play", "*")
)

Hth,

Manuel
Screen Shot 2013-09-24 at 20.34.44.png

Michael Slinn

Sep 25, 2013, 3:06:41 AM9/25/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I see lots of older Play components showing up. For example, notice the play and com.typesafe.play dependencies. I find this throughout the dependency report:

My dependencies look kinda crazy now:

    val appDependencies = Seq(
      "com.github.tototoshi"    %% "slick-joda-mapper"           % "0.3.0" withSources,
      "com.librato.metrics"     %  "metrics-librato"             % "2.1.2.4" withSources,
      "com.micronautics"        %  "awss3"                       % "0.1.2-SNAPSHOT" withSources,
      "com.typesafe"            %  "config"                      % "1.0.1" withSources,
      "com.typesafe.slick"      %% "slick"                       % "1.0.1" withSources,
      //"com.typesafe.play"       %% "play-slick"                  % "0.5.0.3-SNAPSHOT" withSources,
      "com.codahale.metrics"    %  "metrics-core"                % "3.0.0" withSources,
      "nl.grons"                %  "metrics-scala_2.10.0"        % "2.2.0" withSources,
      "postgresql"              %  "postgresql"                  % "9.1-901-1.jdbc4" withSources,
      "org.apache.commons"      %  "commons-email"               % "1.2" withSources,
      "com.github.nscala-time"  %% "nscala-time"                 % "0.2.0" withSources,
      "org.scalatest"           %% "scalatest"                   % "2.0.M5b" % "test",
      "org.webjars"             %  "jquery-ui"                   % "1.10.2-1",
      "org.webjars"             %  "jquery-ui-themes"            % "1.10.0",
      "org.webjars"             %% "webjars-play"                % "2.2.0" exclude("org.scala-stm", "scala-stm_2.10.0")  exclude("play", "*") withSources,
      "org.webjars"             %  "bootstrap"                   % "2.3.2",
      "org.webjars"             %  "bootstrap-datepicker"        % "1.0.1",
      "com.typesafe.play"       %% "anorm"                       % "2.2.0" exclude("org.scala-stm", "scala-stm_2.10.0") exclude("play", "*"),
      "com.typesafe.play"       %% "play-jdbc"                   % "2.2.0" exclude("org.scala-stm", "scala-stm_2.10.0") exclude("play", "*"),
      "com.typesafe.play"       %% "play-json"                   % "2.2.0" exclude("org.scala-stm", "scala-stm_2.10.0") exclude("play", "*"),
      "com.micronautics"        % "securesocial"                % "2.2.0" exclude("org.scala-stm", "scala-stm_2.10.0") exclude("play", "*") withSources
    )

Still getting that error:

[error] Modules were resolved with conflicting cross-version suffixes in {file:/home/mslinn/work/training/mocc/}mocc:

[error] org.scala-stm:scala-stm _2.10, _2.10.0
java.lang.RuntimeException: Conflicting cross-version suffixes in: org.scala-stm:scala-stm

Michael Slinn

Sep 25, 2013, 3:38:47 AM9/25/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Found the problem ... it was a dependency of a dependency ... and one I had written ... can't keep track of all the 2nd order dependencies!

Michael Slinn

Sep 25, 2013, 2:28:01 PM9/25/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I got everything working with 2.2.0. Needed to wrap SimpleResult in a Future in a few places, and to return Promise.pure in others. The build.sbt format is essentially undocumented for Play Scala.

Also I see this message when I start up Play. Not a big deal, just thought it was something internal to Play that might need attention. I don't think any of my code is responsible for this:

[WARN] [09/25/2013 11:22:17.691] [play-internal-execution-context-1] [EventStream(akka://play)] [akka.event-handlers] config is deprecated, use [akka.loggers]

Armineh Nourbakhsh

Sep 25, 2013, 4:43:22 PM9/25/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
What were the conflicting dependencies? I'm getting the same error.

Mike Slinn

Sep 26, 2013, 12:13:33 PM9/26/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, Armineh Nourbakhsh
Highly unlikely they would be same as yours. You will need to examine
the report

Mike

Armineh Nourbakhsh

Sep 26, 2013, 12:18:51 PM9/26/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, Armineh Nourbakhsh
Git it, thanks. Slick plugin had to be updated.

Jari Pennanen

Sep 26, 2013, 12:48:47 PM9/26/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:36:33 AM UTC+3, James Roper wrote:
You can get a detailed report on dependencies by opening:

target/resolution-cache/reports/yourprojectidetc-compile.xml

I just run compile and I get "[error]    org.scala-stm:scala-stm _2.10, _2.10.0" but this XML file is old, from about 6 days ago. How can I generate a new report?

- Jari

Jari Pennanen

Sep 26, 2013, 12:53:34 PM9/26/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
never mind, I got it working by deleting the target directory. Have not figured out what to look from the report though.

Fayimora Femi-Balogun

Sep 26, 2013, 1:57:16 PM9/26/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
@
Armineh What did you update slick to? I'm running the latest(1.0.1).

@Jari were you also having the scala-stm problem? Removing my target folder didn't solve the problem

On 26 September 2013 17:53, Jari Pennanen <cia...@oksidi.com> wrote:
never mind, I got it working by deleting the target directory. Have not figured out what to look from the report though.

Michael Slinn

Sep 26, 2013, 2:51:28 PM9/26/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
The Play Framework documentation for the new build.sbt format is barely documented. Here is a complete sample file, taken from a production web app that I just converted:

Christopher Hunt

Sep 26, 2013, 11:18:51 PM9/26/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

http://www.playframework.com/documentation/2.2.x/SBTSettings introduces build.sbt and highlights that this is a feature of sbt - what specific documentation are you looking for?

Also I see this message when I start up Play. Not a big deal, just thought it was something internal to Play that might need attention. I don't think any of my code is responsible for this:

[WARN] [09/25/2013 11:22:17.691] [play-internal-execution-context-1] [EventStream(akka://play)] [akka.event-handlers] config is deprecated, use [akka.loggers]

Do you have akka configuration in your application.conf?

Reid Spencer

Sep 28, 2013, 7:57:53 AM9/28/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations and thank you !

Migration from 2.1.3 to 2.2.0 took me about two hours. Everything I needed to know was in the migration guide or easily found on google. There were two items that I thought I should point out that I didn't find easy to resolve. Both have to do with using project/Build.scala instead of the new build.sbt. For a variety of reasons, I have a non-simple build organization and find that build.sbt is too simple/limiting. So, if you're using a Build.scala, you might want to pay attention to these two items:
  1. When using Build.scala, I define my settings based on Default.defaultSettings which compiled fine, but apparently that doesn't have the necessary magic for 2.2. The symptom of this problem is that nothing compile and when you attempt to run it, you get a java.lang.RuntimeException: No main class detected error. Simply changing the settings to be based on playScalaSettings instead makes it work.
  2. play-test is required. None of my tests would compile because play.api.test was not found. Unfortunately, play.Keys doesn't define a "play-test" ModuleID so you have to add component("play-test") to your libraryDependencies. Once I did this, all my tests worked again.
All in all .. pretty smooth transition.

Thanks!

Reid.

Jari Pennanen

Sep 28, 2013, 1:01:31 PM9/28/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, September 26, 2013 8:57:16 PM UTC+3, Fayimora Femi-Balogun wrote:
@Jari were you also having the scala-stm problem? Removing my target folder didn't solve the problem

I meant by deleting the target folder it generated the report again (which could be useful to find out the scala-stm problem), but I didn't found it yet.

Instead I then tried to move all my stuff to new project, but unfortunately "play new project" also fails ( https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/play-framework/L9ZipC4Y3EM ) in play 2.2.0, so I'm stuck until I get more time to look on to this scala-stm problem.

- Jari

Fayimora Femi-Balogun

Sep 28, 2013, 2:09:54 PM9/28/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jari. Is anyone from the core team looking into this?

Manuel Bernhardt

Sep 29, 2013, 4:37:41 AM9/29/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

given the thread evolved into sharing how the migration went, I wanted to ask: is anyone running into trouble with sub-project builds and plugins? We ran into this one:

https://github.com/playframework/playframework/issues/1695

which is a real blocker for us.

Thanks,

Manuel

Christian Schmitt

Sep 30, 2013, 4:55:13 AM9/30/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Also there is an issue with play 2.2 and the sbt-native-package manager where you can't use the play project for sbt-native-package manager you need to create your own.

Jari Pennanen

Sep 30, 2013, 10:07:59 AM9/30/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, September 28, 2013 9:09:54 PM UTC+3, Fayimora Femi-Balogun wrote:
Thanks Jari. Is anyone from the core team looking into this?

Core team can't look in to scala-stm problem. It's varies depending on your dependencies. My scala-stm problem was fixed by using this:

  "org.reactivemongo" %% "play2-reactivemongo" % "0.10.0-SNAPSHOT" withSources

(Notice 0.10.0-SNAPSHOT, the 0.10-SNAPSHOT didn't work)

Fayimora Femi-Balogun

Sep 30, 2013, 10:55:09 AM9/30/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jari, here is my build.sbt(just 7 dependencies) => https://gist.github.com/4419531fa41f94f58aa4

Any ideas what might be causing the stm issue in my situation?

Cheers
Fayi

diwa

Sep 30, 2013, 11:03:11 AM9/30/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
webjars-play is the culprit

Try switching it to "org.webjars" %% "webjars-play" % "2.2.0"

Fayimora Femi-Balogun

Sep 30, 2013, 12:44:22 PM9/30/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot Diwa!!! That solved the problem

Fayi

Christian Papauschek

Oct 1, 2013, 7:49:01 AM10/1/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this release!

Definitely like the switch to Slick and BoneCP 0.8.0.

Just a quick question @James Roper:
"Play 2.2.0 is being released with 0.8.0-rc3" (http://jolbox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=522)
In this recent forum post you said Play 2.2 would include bonecp-0.8.0-rc3. Now it seems we have the older rc1 included. Was there a reason for this?

James Roper

Oct 1, 2013, 9:09:18 AM10/1/13
to play-framework
Ha.  You're right.  I have no idea what was going through my mind when I wrote that, maybe I thought it was on rc3, or was planning to upgrade but forgot?

Anyway, we're waiting either for rc4 or a final release, which we'll upgrade to in Play 2.2.1 if it's released in time (haven't checked if it's already released), since there's a performance regression regarding prepared statement caching in 0.8.0-rc1.

Anyway, you can always add an explicit dependency on bonecp in your Build.scala if you want a later version sooner.

Regards,

James

Armineh Nourbakhsh

Oct 1, 2013, 10:52:05 AM10/1/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the late response. I just upgraded the play-slick plugin: https://github.com/freekh/play-slick

Christian Papauschek

Oct 1, 2013, 1:45:24 PM10/1/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
thanks for the quick response. just wanted to know if there were any problems with rc3.

yes, adding the dependency manually works fine :)

yllantw .

Oct 2, 2013, 12:26:18 AM10/2/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I updated my little play project to play 2.2 from 2.1.4 and noticed that it failed to compile due to out of memory error:

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded

My sbt heap memory setting was 1GB, which is enough for 2.1.4. Of course I could set it to 2GB or more. However, my project is very small, only 11 scala files and 2 dependencies declared in Build.sbt. Draining half of my laptop's ram just for such a small project isn't really a pleasing experience.

Is there any trick to reduce the memory footprint to build for play 2.2?

Regards,
yllan

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 12:49 PM, James Roper <james...@typesafe.com> wrote:
[...]

James Roper

Oct 2, 2013, 4:09:23 AM10/2/13
to play-framework
On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM, yllantw . <yung...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I updated my little play project to play 2.2 from 2.1.4 and noticed that it failed to compile due to out of memory error:

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded

My sbt heap memory setting was 1GB, which is enough for 2.1.4. Of course I could set it to 2GB or more. However, my project is very small, only 11 scala files and 2 dependencies declared in Build.sbt. Draining half of my laptop's ram just for such a small project isn't really a pleasing experience.

Is there any trick to reduce the memory footprint to build for play 2.2?

You definitely shouldn't run out of memory.  Have you tried doing a clean compile?  Sometimes the incremental compiler can have issues, especially when many things have changed.

yllantw .

Oct 2, 2013, 9:44:35 AM10/2/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Clean compile doesn't work in my case. Finally I've found the cause of slow compilation: deprecated Async method.

Here is my toy play 2.2 project, which consumes HUGE memory and time to compile:

If you use the new Action.async builder to fix the deprecated warning in app/controllers/OrderController, it compiles well.

I'm not sure taking so long to compile a deprecated method is a bug or expected behaviour.

Kevin Bowling

Oct 2, 2013, 3:30:24 PM10/2/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Interesting, I'm hitting the same thing with 2.2.0.

Regards,
Kevin
Message has been deleted

Niels Boldt

Oct 3, 2013, 9:51:43 AM10/3/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

After upgrading to play 2.2.0 the filter example  at http://www.playframework.com/documentation/2.2.x/ScalaHttpFilters cannot compile

code is

import play.api.mvc._

object LoggingFilter extends Filter {
  def apply(next: (RequestHeader) => Result)(rh: RequestHeader) = {
    val start = System.currentTimeMillis

    def logTime(result: PlainResult): Result = {
      val time = System.currentTimeMillis - start
      Logger.info(s"${rh.method} ${rh.uri} took ${time}ms and returned ${result.header.status}")
      result.withHeaders("Request-Time" -> time.toString)
    }

    next(rh) match {
      case plain: PlainResult => logTime(plain)
      case async: AsyncResult => async.transform(logTime)
    }
  }
}

Problem is that apply should return a Future[SimpleResult] instead of previously a SimpleResult

However I canot figure out how to rewrite the code so it works

Any suggestions

Thanks
Niels

--
BinaryConstructors ApS
Vestergade 10a, 4th

virtualeyes

Oct 4, 2013, 4:42:44 AM10/4/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Play 2.2 Scala in dev mode is absurdly fast loading browser pages, zero lag.

Not sure what changed between 2.1 and 2.2, a change for the better apparently ;-)

As for 2.2 performance in production, will find that out next week...

Mike Slinn

Oct 4, 2013, 9:02:39 AM10/4/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I also found a noticeable speedup with Play 2.2.0 in dev mode,
unfortunately have not been able to get it working in production yet.

Christopher Hunt

Oct 4, 2013, 9:31:25 AM10/4/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback - we've done a lot to make things faster in general.

On 04/10/2013, at 10:42 AM, virtualeyes <sit...@gmail.com> wrote:

Play 2.2 Scala in dev mode is absurdly fast loading browser pages, zero lag.

--
Christopher Hunt
Senior Engineer
Typesafe – Build Reactive Apps on the JVM!

Twitter: @huntchr

René Grüner Vangsgaard

Oct 11, 2013, 9:32:14 AM10/11/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I got a filter working. I use it like this

object Global extends WithFilter(MyFilter)

MyFilter:
object MyFilter extends Filter {

import play.api.libs.concurrent.Execution.Implicits._

def apply(next: (RequestHeader) => Future[SimpleResult])(rh: RequestHeader): Future[SimpleResult] = {
    val isSessionStarted
: Boolean = ...

if (isSessionStarted) {

next(rh)

} else {

next(rh).map(_.withSession(rh.session + SessionStarted))

}

}
}

I do not think you can match on next(rh) - I think you should match inside next(rh).map{} or match on Future[]

Vikash Dat

Oct 11, 2013, 3:16:03 PM10/11/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
congrats! Any news on web socket testing ? It would be great if there was an easy to test web sockets.

Martin Jöhren

Oct 15, 2013, 5:54:07 PM10/15/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have a somehow confusing error: i am not even able to start play 2.2 from command line on my mac. When I manually download 2.1.5 and run ./play in that directory everything's fine, i see the ascii art and the 'this is not a p,ay app' msg. However, when I download play 2.2 and start ./play then I get

lutterome:play-2.2.0 m.joehren$ ./play
[ERROR] Terminal initialization failed; falling back to unsupported
java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: Found class jline.Terminal, but interface was expected
at jline.TerminalFactory.create(TerminalFactory.java:101)
at jline.TerminalFactory.get(TerminalFactory.java:159)
at jline.console.ConsoleReader.<init>(ConsoleReader.java:227)
at jline.console.ConsoleReader.<init>(ConsoleReader.java:219)
at jline.console.ConsoleReader.<init>(ConsoleReader.java:207)
at play.console.Console$.<init>(Console.scala:14)
at play.console.Console$.<clinit>(Console.scala)
at play.console.Console.run(Console.scala:201)
at play.console.Console.run(Console.scala:198)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$$anonfun$run$1.apply(Launch.scala:57)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$.withContextLoader(Launch.scala:77)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$.run(Launch.scala:57)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$$anonfun$explicit$1.apply(Launch.scala:45)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$.launch(Launch.scala:65)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$.apply(Launch.scala:16)
at xsbt.boot.Boot$.runImpl(Boot.scala:32)
at xsbt.boot.Boot$.main(Boot.scala:21)
at xsbt.boot.Boot.main(Boot.scala)

java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: Found class jline.Terminal, but interface was expected
at jline.console.ConsoleReader.<init>(ConsoleReader.java:228)
at jline.console.ConsoleReader.<init>(ConsoleReader.java:219)
at jline.console.ConsoleReader.<init>(ConsoleReader.java:207)
at play.console.Console$.<init>(Console.scala:14)
at play.console.Console$.<clinit>(Console.scala)
at play.console.Console.run(Console.scala:201)
at play.console.Console.run(Console.scala:198)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$$anonfun$run$1.apply(Launch.scala:57)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$.withContextLoader(Launch.scala:77)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$.run(Launch.scala:57)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$$anonfun$explicit$1.apply(Launch.scala:45)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$.launch(Launch.scala:65)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$.apply(Launch.scala:16)
at xsbt.boot.Boot$.runImpl(Boot.scala:32)
at xsbt.boot.Boot$.main(Boot.scala:21)
at xsbt.boot.Boot.main(Boot.scala)
Error during sbt execution: java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: Found class jline.Terminal, but interface was expected

Any hints? Must be a small detail that I'm missing. Btw using brew didn't do the trick either.

Thx

Venkat Sudheer Reddy Aedama

Oct 16, 2013, 2:36:02 PM10/16/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

Hi Martin,

I guess your SBT home is set to 0.12.0. You can check it by opening your sbt launch script (make sure you open the correct launcher script `which sbt`). You can change it to 0.13.0 or simply replace the contents of the file with Paul's script to do the work for you.

I recommend you to use Paul's script as it can download the SBT launcher that you specified in your build.properties.
Here is a link to the repo where you can find the script: https://github.com/paulp/sbt-extras

Thx,
Venkat Sudheer Reddy Aedama

Martin Jöhren

Oct 18, 2013, 5:17:18 PM10/18/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

thx for your help but sadly it doesn't work out for me as well. I took the mentioned script and got:

Downloading sbt launcher for 0.13.0:
    To  /Users/m.joehren/.sbt/launchers/0.13.0/sbt-launch.jar
[ERROR] Terminal initialization failed; falling back to unsupported
java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: Found class jline.Terminal, but interface was expected
at jline.TerminalFactory.create(TerminalFactory.java:101)
at jline.TerminalFactory.get(TerminalFactory.java:159)
at sbt.ConsoleLogger$.ansiSupported(ConsoleLogger.scala:85)
at sbt.ConsoleLogger$.<init>(ConsoleLogger.scala:79)
at sbt.ConsoleLogger$.<clinit>(ConsoleLogger.scala)
at sbt.GlobalLogging$.initial(GlobalLogging.scala:40)
at sbt.StandardMain$.initialGlobalLogging(Main.scala:54)
at sbt.StandardMain$.initialState(Main.scala:60)
at sbt.xMain.run(Main.scala:26)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$$anonfun$run$1.apply(Launch.scala:57)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$.withContextLoader(Launch.scala:77)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$.run(Launch.scala:57)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$$anonfun$explicit$1.apply(Launch.scala:45)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$.launch(Launch.scala:65)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$.apply(Launch.scala:16)
at xsbt.boot.Boot$.runImpl(Boot.scala:32)
at xsbt.boot.Boot$.main(Boot.scala:21)
at xsbt.boot.Boot.main(Boot.scala)

java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: JLine incompatibility detected.  Check that the sbt launcher is version 0.13.x or later.
at sbt.ConsoleLogger$.ansiSupported(ConsoleLogger.scala:96)
at sbt.ConsoleLogger$.<init>(ConsoleLogger.scala:79)
at sbt.ConsoleLogger$.<clinit>(ConsoleLogger.scala)
at sbt.GlobalLogging$.initial(GlobalLogging.scala:40)
at sbt.StandardMain$.initialGlobalLogging(Main.scala:54)
at sbt.StandardMain$.initialState(Main.scala:60)
at sbt.xMain.run(Main.scala:26)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$$anonfun$run$1.apply(Launch.scala:57)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$.withContextLoader(Launch.scala:77)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$.run(Launch.scala:57)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$$anonfun$explicit$1.apply(Launch.scala:45)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$.launch(Launch.scala:65)
at xsbt.boot.Launch$.apply(Launch.scala:16)
at xsbt.boot.Boot$.runImpl(Boot.scala:32)
at xsbt.boot.Boot$.main(Boot.scala:21)
at xsbt.boot.Boot.main(Boot.scala)
Error during sbt execution: java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: JLine incompatibility detected.  Check that the sbt launcher is version 0.13.x or later.

I don't get it....