Announcing Play 2.1.0

James Roper

Feb 6, 2013, 6:03:19 AM2/6/13
to play-framework
The Play team is proud to announce the release of Play 2.1.0!

Major highlights of this release include:

* Migration to Scala 2.10
* Migration to Scala concurrent Futures
* Modularisation of Play itself
* Modularisation of routes files
* Better thread management and HTTP context propagation in Java projects
* Managed controller instantiation
* New Scala JSON API
* New Filter API with built in CSRF protection
* RequireJS support
* Content negotiation
* Improved Iteratee API
* 182 resolved bugs and improvements in our issue tracker:

https://play.lighthouseapp.com/projects/82401-play-20/milestones/137248-21

For more details on the major highlights in this release, see here:

http://playframework.com/documentation/2.1.0/Highlights

The latest release can be downloaded from here:

http://downloads.typesafe.com/play/2.1.0/play-2.1.0.zip

For details on migrating from Play 2.0 to Play 2.1, please read the migration guide:

http://playframework.com/documentation/2.1.0/Migration

A big thankyou to everyone that helped make this release happen, especially to our community contributors, who are listed here:

http://playframework.com/code

Enjoy!

--
James Roper
Software Engineer

Typesafe - The software stack for applications that scale
Twitter: @jroper

Julien Richard-Foy

Feb 6, 2013, 6:07:09 AM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations!

durre

Feb 6, 2013, 6:16:46 AM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! Love the new website. I also think you will benefit greatly from having the getting started video as with play 1.x.

Emilio González

Feb 6, 2013, 6:27:27 AM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations! the new front page is great!

Chris Webb

Feb 6, 2013, 6:32:26 AM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations to the Play team!!

ldenardo

Feb 6, 2013, 6:51:10 AM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Is there any stable documentation on new features?

Especially
  • HTTPS configuration
  • Routes modularization
  • Filters API

don't seem included in http://www.playframework.org/documentation, which is still very close to documentation for 2.0.x

Regards
Lorenzo

William Billingsley

Feb 6, 2013, 7:39:25 AM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations, great news.

The new site styling looks very swish too.

Adis

Feb 6, 2013, 8:15:48 AM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Great!!! Now let's play!!

The new site layout looks polished! Nice

Jonas Bonér

Feb 6, 2013, 8:01:34 AM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Awesome job team. This is a great release.
> --

Jonas Bonér
Phone: +46 733 777 123
Home: http://jonasboner.com
Twitter: @jboner

J. O. Meyer

Feb 6, 2013, 9:05:16 AM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

Congrats!
The new page layout looks great !

Just got an error message though when I tried to access the highlights: (which is kind of funny ... I hope that's not an omen ;-)

Guillaume Bort

Feb 6, 2013, 9:08:17 AM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Yes there is some random errors on the documentation pages. Not sure why exactly but it looks like a race condition in the Markdown parser. We are checking.

Guillaume Bort, http://guillaume.bort.fr

Eran Medan

Feb 6, 2013, 9:24:21 AM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Very good news, happy to hear, been using the RCs for a while, glad it's finally out

Note: few links on the new site are giving an error like this (sporadically, inconsistent)
Could be due to the load from hacker news front page post?

Oops, an error occured

This exception has been logged with id 6d909cbmn.

Oops, an error occured

This exception has been logged with id 6d909ig1j.

These links for example trigger it (refreshing sometimes helps)

Guillaume Bort

Feb 6, 2013, 9:32:30 AM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, we just fixed this problem.

Eran Medan

Feb 6, 2013, 9:38:43 AM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Great. thanks, may I wonder what it was? e.g. was the fix something relevant for a play user to know / avoid?

James Ward

Feb 6, 2013, 9:40:56 AM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy to report this wasn't a Play problem. :) We were running out
of file handles on the Linux system. We've increased the number and now
everything seems to be working smoothly.

-James

sas

Feb 6, 2013, 9:52:36 AM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
congrats on this new release!

and the site indeed look great!

Sarvesh Kumar Singh

Feb 6, 2013, 10:19:21 AM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Great new website and better documentation.. :)

regards,
Sarvesh

Nilanjan Raychaudhuri

Feb 6, 2013, 10:28:39 AM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
The documentation includes the Routes modularization and Filters. Look into sub projects and intercepting request section

Nilanjan, Developer & Consultant
Typesafe Inc.
Twitter: @nraychaudhuri

Marc Siegel

Feb 6, 2013, 10:40:11 AM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations! Now to start figuring out what it will take to migrate three applications...

Pere Villega

Feb 6, 2013, 11:23:22 AM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Great job, thanks a million!

Otto

Feb 6, 2013, 11:24:58 AM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Nice! Great work.

adel alfar

Feb 6, 2013, 12:51:09 PM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations for all your BEAUTIFUL hard work!  Looking forward to have more Play! fun!

Marcio PL

Feb 6, 2013, 2:11:32 PM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I've been using it for a while with the RCs, and the only complain I have is about the eclipse command. It's only generating project files for the subproject. I can generate the main project's file if I remove the dependencies on the Build.scala, but once I add the dependencies, it doesn't work.

Vikram

Feb 6, 2013, 2:16:02 PM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congrats! Thanks a ton! Your framework makes work seem like Play! everyday ;)

Kahli Burke

Feb 6, 2013, 2:28:06 PM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations on the release! Great job, the new site looks great and I'm excited to be using Play!

m e

Feb 6, 2013, 2:42:32 PM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Congrats great site!

Just a note; its now says "Java and Scala" and the video is all Java!

Is this framework marketed more now to Java peeps?

Thanks

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 7:16 PM, Vikram <vikra...@gmail.com> wrote:
Congrats! Thanks a ton! Your framework makes work seem like Play! everyday ;)

antoine....@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2013, 2:49:36 PM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for your work !
Bravo !
Message has been deleted

Myyk

Feb 6, 2013, 3:40:06 PM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congrats on the release!  I look forward to migrating my company's production to Play 2.1 either this week or next week!

El Softwarerero (the player formerly known as sun)

Feb 6, 2013, 4:06:04 PM2/6/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. I migrated two applications successfully to 2.1.0 today.

Vladimir Stanković

Feb 7, 2013, 3:07:31 AM2/7/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I am planning to evaluate play! on some small projects. Does anyone knows what are pros/cons using play with java/scala?

Mike

Feb 7, 2013, 6:56:07 AM2/7/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I wanted to try an upgrade to 2.1.0 to see if some bugs were solved.

I download the framework, ok.

I was still very confident in spite of my previous bad experiences with play, so I expected to be able to give a try but keep the option to go back to 2.0.4 in case of some new issues...

I start to read the migration documentation: 8 pages of changes in various places, from module versions to code changes.

Starting from the API of play.Project which not only changes the class name, but removes an argument from the constructor.
Then all other class name changes, etc.

Never heard of upward compatibility ?

What will I do ? probably just give up.

Yann Simon

Feb 7, 2013, 7:15:11 AM2/7/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

2013/2/7 Mike <miche...@gmail.com>
A new major version means API changes, and that can break compatibility (although these breaks are kept as small as possible)

And for a typical project, the breaks for the 2.1 are very minimal.

Check my changes to migrate one little application:
"9 additions and 5 deletions"

It is still manageable :)

ldenardo

Feb 7, 2013, 11:38:57 AM2/7/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Nilanjan for the pointers (hard to find though, even if you know they're there...maybe a better TOC will help).

Marcio, I guess you have to add the "eclipse skipParents" property to your build and set it to false to get the correct build, like:

override def settings = super.settings ++ Seq(EclipseKeys.skipParents in ThisBuild := false, scalaVersion :="2.10.0")

It's due to the way SBT works with subprojects, I can't find the exact pointer right now (was well hidden) but should be in the SBT docs.

Regards
Lorenzo

James Ward

Feb 7, 2013, 11:57:03 AM2/7/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! We will get a Scala video recorded and added to the site. Play
is certainly for Java and Scala developers. :)

Ike

Feb 7, 2013, 12:52:32 PM2/7/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congrats to the Play! team and contributors. Keep them coming!

Peec

Feb 7, 2013, 1:26:06 PM2/7/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I have been waiting for this release for some months now!

Awesome work!!!

Thanks for the best framework ever made in history.

Steven Elliott

Feb 7, 2013, 8:55:28 PM2/7/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! Thank you so much for all of your very hard work!

A. Morris

Feb 9, 2013, 10:48:16 PM2/9/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Great to see that Play 2.1 has finally been released, and congrats on all the hard work!

I was wondering if the next step would be a Play 2.1 plugin directory to keep track of available modules, plugins, sample apps, and such.  Someone tried to build one last year ( http://www.playmodules.net/ ), and even released the play app code for the site on github ( https://github.com/pvillega/Play-Modules ), but it really seems that it should be part of the playframework.org website.  WordPress.com also has a great plugin directory that may be worth modeling after, allowing the community to vote on the best and most useful plugins ( http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/ ) .

James Ward

Feb 10, 2013, 1:25:29 PM2/10/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! The plugin & sample directories are something we are working
on. Stay tuned!

-James

Guillaume Bort

Feb 14, 2013, 5:47:33 AM2/14/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
javaCore contains the Java API.

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Neha Choudhary <ch.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
why do we have to need javaCore as dependency? As I tried out the sample project without it, it worked fine. It doesn't give me any error.

Guillaume Bort, http://guillaume.bort.fr

Neha Choudhary

Feb 14, 2013, 6:13:26 AM2/14/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
that I understood from the highlights of 2.1. But is that really necessary to be included in Build.scala?

Guillaume Bort

Feb 14, 2013, 6:48:12 AM2/14/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Only if you want to use the Java API.

Erem Boto

Feb 14, 2013, 10:24:37 PM2/14/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Wanted to jump in on a belated congrats to the team! After some harrowing compiler NPEs and a turbulent see of compilation errors, our dev in charge of our 2.1 migration (Myyk Seok, also on this thread) is finally finishing our transition!

Thank you guys for the wonderful framework, thank you for the support, and thank you for the shout-out to Egraphs on your awesome-looking new page.

Erem