Play 2.0 beta and Typesafe collaboration

Guillaume Bort

Nov 16, 2011, 3:03:19 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,
This is an awesome day for Play framework, and I’m really proud of
this moment. We have two great announcements today.
To start, we are happy to present the first public release of Play 2.0
in the form of a beta package. We have worked hard to achieve this
beta version and we are half way to the final 2.0 version.
Here it is: http://download.playframework.org/releases/play-2.0-beta.zip
This beta will give you an almost complete preview of the Play 2.0
experience, including the native Scala support, the new possibilities
provided by the sbt integration, and all the new APIs. It comes with
several Java and Scala sample applications you can start experimenting
with. And following the first documentation draft at
http://github.com/playframework/Play20/wiki you can start creating
your first applications as well. Please give it a run around the block
and report back any issues you find.
The second exciting news is that Play 2.0 will be part of the upcoming
Typesafe Stack 2.0, to be released in early 2012. Typesafe is the
Scala company, founded by the creators of the Scala programming
language and Akka middleware. Our vision for Play framework and
especially for this 2.0 version is completely aligned with Typesafe’s
focus on creating a modern software platform for the era of multicore
hardware and cloud computing.

You can read the official typesafe announcement and Jonas Boner
(Typesafe CTO) post on the typesafe blog.

- http://typesafe.com/company/news/15856
- http://blog.typesafe.com/typesafe-stack-adds-play-framework

Play 2.0 is already built on key pieces of the Typesafe Stack,
including Scala, Akka, and Simple Build Tool (sbt), making Typesafe a
very natural choice for the Play framework future.
This Typesafe collaboration is really a good news for all Play users,
as the company will contribute new development resources to the open
source project, new key components like the integration with the Scala
IDE for eclipse, and will provide commercial support and maintenance
services for Play 2.0.
Peter Hausel, a long time contributor on Play framework who worked
with me on the first Scala module experiments has joined Typesafe to
synchronize the Play framework efforts on their side. The current
contributors, and particularly Zenexity will continue working on the
open source project, and I will keep leading the project.
Zenexity and Typesafe will work together on Play framework and the
future of Web Oriented Architectures in general. To go forth in this
tight-knit collaboration, I'm honored to join the Typesafe advisory
board next to James Gosling, Doug Lea and Willy Zwaenepoel, while
keeping my current position at Zenexity.
Additionally, although Typesafe is a Scala company it doesn't mean
that Play 2.0 will become a Scala-only web framework. All components
of the Typesafe stack provide seamless integration with Java; Scala
being natively compatible with Java libraries, sbt providing build
system for both Java and Scala projects, and Akka having a Java API as
well.
If you happen to be at Devoxx this year, I’ll present Play 2.0 on
Wednesday with Sadek Drobi, CTO of Zenexity, who works on the
architecture of Play2.0, including the new awesome asynchronous and
fully reactive core engine. Also we will both join the Typesafe booth
where we will demonstrate the new features and talk about all these
exciting changes.
Play 2.0, and the new collaboration with Typesafe opens up incredible
prospects for the project’s future. It is the beginning of a new era
for Play framework -- get started today by trying out the beta
package!
Have fun.
--
Guillaume Bort

smallufo

Nov 16, 2011, 3:19:54 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations!

Morten Kjetland

Nov 16, 2011, 3:25:34 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations +1 !

-morten

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 9:19 AM, smallufo <smal...@gmail.com> wrote:
Congratulations!

Pascal Voitot Dev

Nov 16, 2011, 3:28:44 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Great news! Lots of perspectives and promising stuff!

Congrats!
Pascal

Erik Bakker

Nov 16, 2011, 3:45:41 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
That's great Guillaume :)

Isak Rickyanto

Nov 16, 2011, 3:54:58 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Bravo, this is a really good news. Congratulations for all people in Zenexity and Typesafe!

I have faith that Playframework will have brightest future in scala & web technology world because I already researched all scala web frameworks (all that i can find) and at the end I have the conclusion: Play 2.0 is THE BEST!

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Erik Bakker <eame...@gmx.net> wrote:
That's great Guillaume :)

Best regards,
Isak Rickyanto

Steve Chaloner

Nov 16, 2011, 4:06:14 AM11/16/11
to play-framework
Superb - congratulations to all of you!

On Nov 16, 9:54 am, Isak Rickyanto <isak.rickya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bravo, this is a really good news. Congratulations for all people in
> Zenexity and Typesafe!
>
> I have faith that Playframework will have brightest future in scala & web
> technology world because I already researched all scala web frameworks (all
> that i can find) and at the end I have the conclusion: Play 2.0 is THE BEST!

Mihály Köles

Nov 16, 2011, 4:39:41 AM11/16/11
to play-framework
My commitment to the Play! Framework is strengthened right now. Thanks
for these really great news.

Mihaly Koles

Khaled Essghaier

Nov 16, 2011, 4:39:51 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
niiice congrats !

--Khaled
http://about.me/khaled

alt

Nov 16, 2011, 5:09:38 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Good job. Scala support is awesome. Upcoming migration from hibernate to ebean is wonderful.

Tex

Nov 16, 2011, 6:00:59 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Great news !!!

Many thanks and keep up the good work !

BTW: I like the ebean's integration !!!

sas

Nov 16, 2011, 6:10:18 AM11/16/11
to play-framework
Congrats to the whole team!!!

this is really a game-changer new

I think this decision is absolutely coherent with play's philosophy,
typesafe is clearly the finest home for play!

saludos

sas

Claudiu

Nov 16, 2011, 6:14:15 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
This is a brilliant news for all the guy behind play!!!

maybe this will be the next RoR for java dev

On 16 November 2011 12:09, alt <alt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Good job. Scala support is awesome. Upcoming migration from hibernate to ebean is wonderful.

Claudiu

jbtbnl

Nov 16, 2011, 6:18:46 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
While I am generally positive about play 2.0, I don't understand why this is called a beta release.
As the Play 2.0 Status page states, there are some important features missing, most of them being available in predecessor play 1.2.
Therefore I really feel like this being an alpha release and currently not a real successor of play 1.2.

Espen Schulstad

Nov 16, 2011, 6:32:53 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations, and congratulations to all of us as well that gets to use and abuse it :)

Jorge Aliss

Nov 16, 2011, 7:00:51 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Awesome news Guillaume!!
Congrats to all the team!

Jorge

> --
> "play-framework" group.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/play-framework/-/XLG9oIwHFW0J.

ikeike443

Nov 16, 2011, 7:10:50 AM11/16/11
to play-framework
Congratulations!!!!!

On 11月16日, 午後5:03, Guillaume Bort <guillaume.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> This is an awesome day for Play framework, and I’m really proud of
> this moment. We have two great announcements today.
> To start, we are happy to present the first public release of Play 2.0
> in the form of a beta package. We have worked hard to achieve this
> beta version and we are half way to the final 2.0 version.
> Here it is:http://download.playframework.org/releases/play-2.0-beta.zip
> This beta will give you an almost complete preview of the Play 2.0
> experience, including the native Scala support, the new possibilities
> provided by the sbt integration, and all the new APIs. It comes with
> several Java and Scala sample applications you can start experimenting
> with. And following the first documentation draft athttp://github.com/playframework/Play20/wikiyou can start creating
> your first applications as well. Please give it a run around the block
> and report back any issues you find.
> The second exciting news is that Play 2.0 will be part of the upcoming
> Typesafe Stack 2.0, to be released in early 2012. Typesafe is the
> Scala company, founded by the creators of the Scala programming
> language and Akka middleware. Our vision for Play framework and
> especially for this 2.0 version is completely aligned with Typesafe’s
> focus on creating a modern software platform for the era of multicore
> hardware and cloud computing.
>
> You can read the official typesafe announcement and Jonas Boner
> (Typesafe CTO) post on the typesafe blog.
>
> -http://typesafe.com/company/news/15856
> -http://blog.typesafe.com/typesafe-stack-adds-play-framework

si

Nov 16, 2011, 7:13:58 AM11/16/11
to play-framework
perfect

On Nov 16, 10:03 am, Guillaume Bort <guillaume.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> This is an awesome day for Play framework, and I’m really proud of
> this moment. We have two great announcements today.
> To start, we are happy to present the first public release of Play 2.0
> in the form of a beta package. We have worked hard to achieve this
> beta version and we are half way to the final 2.0 version.
> Here it is:http://download.playframework.org/releases/play-2.0-beta.zip
> This beta will give you an almost complete preview of the Play 2.0
> experience, including the native Scala support, the new possibilities
> provided by the sbt integration, and all the new APIs. It comes with
> several Java and Scala sample applications you can start experimenting
> with. And following the first documentation draft athttp://github.com/playframework/Play20/wikiyou can start creating
> your first applications as well. Please give it a run around the block
> and report back any issues you find.
> The second exciting news is that Play 2.0 will be part of the upcoming
> Typesafe Stack 2.0, to be released in early 2012. Typesafe is the
> Scala company, founded by the creators of the Scala programming
> language and Akka middleware. Our vision for Play framework and
> especially for this 2.0 version is completely aligned with Typesafe’s
> focus on creating a modern software platform for the era of multicore
> hardware and cloud computing.
>
> You can read the official typesafe announcement and Jonas Boner
> (Typesafe CTO) post on the typesafe blog.
>
> -http://typesafe.com/company/news/15856
> -http://blog.typesafe.com/typesafe-stack-adds-play-framework
Message has been deleted

ogregras

Nov 16, 2011, 7:17:36 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Wow... I have to say that the Typesafe Stack seems very interesting with Play! I guess I'll may even be tempted to try Scala again.

Congratulations!

Matt Raible

Nov 16, 2011, 8:16:22 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Very nice! Congrats to all the Players involved. I attended Guillaume's Play 2.0 talk at Devoxx a couple of hours ago and wrote about it on my blog:

http://raibledesigns.com/rd/entry/play_2_0_a_web

The example applications look really nice, as well as the native LESS and CoffeeScript support.

Cheers,

Matt

peter hausel

Nov 16, 2011, 9:16:44 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi jbtbnl,

1.x will be supported for a long time, we have a ton of projects ourselves that are using it

We called it a beta because the current API-s are stable enough that users can now start building apps or just explore the new version. Personally, I do not think any of the missing features are blockers as far as the actual development is concerned.

Naming is always tricky since different people have different ideas about when a software is ready (see for example google's beta tags)

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Peter

Tom Bruggeman

Nov 16, 2011, 9:32:42 AM11/16/11
to play-framework
Nice to see Play! being recognized more widely! Congratulations.

At this rate, I really am going to have to finish that Scala book in
fear of being left behind as the only Java developer that doesn't know
Scala :-)

Praveen

Nov 16, 2011, 9:33:36 AM11/16/11
to play-framework

Congrats! for well deserved place along with "James Gosling, Doug Lea
and Willy Zwaenepoel" for brilliant effort.
Hope type safe stack beats all the competitors hands down in coming
days.

jbtbnl

Nov 16, 2011, 9:54:44 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hello Peter,

Yes, there will always be discussion about version numbering and naming conventions. (i.e. Firefox and the Linux kernel recently)

The only thing I really miss right now is play eclipsify. I've tried sbt-eclipse and it generates a project but there are a couple of issues.
For example it doesn't know where scala.ScalaObject is located and me neither :-)

Regards, Jan

Guillaume Bort

Nov 16, 2011, 10:00:20 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
You can use 'classpath' in the console to list the exct list of
required jars. Btw scala.ScalaObject is located into the
scala-library.jar.

And yes, we will add eclipsify/netbeansify/idealize soon. Next thing
on my todo list.

--
Guillaume Bort

Rakesh Waghela

Nov 16, 2011, 10:14:27 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
+1 ! for Play Alpha !

Francisco Canedo

Nov 16, 2011, 10:21:37 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 04:00:20PM +0100, Guillaume Bort wrote:
> You can use 'classpath' in the console to list the exct list of
> required jars. Btw scala.ScalaObject is located into the
> scala-library.jar.
>
> And yes, we will add eclipsify/netbeansify/idealize soon. Next thing
> on my todo list.

Guillaume, just checking, will you be using the already existing
sbt-idea and sbteclipse plugins for that?

https://github.com/mpeltonen/sbt-idea
https://github.com/typesafehub/sbteclipse

Regards,

--
Francisco Canedo

-----

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There
are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full,
say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this
glass is half empty.
The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and
say: 'What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my
glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!"

Terry Pratchett, The Truth

Ike

Nov 16, 2011, 10:31:24 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations to all the teams involved! It does feel like a very natural fit and I'm very happy to see great minds come together to create even greater things.

Looking forward to the near future!

Vik

Nov 16, 2011, 10:49:11 AM11/16/11
to play-framework
Congrats, awesome! Guillaume thanks for providing us with a framework
we look forward to using every day.

Vikram

On Nov 16, 12:03 am, Guillaume Bort <guillaume.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> This is an awesome day for Play framework, and I’m really proud of
> this moment. We have two great announcements today.
> To start, we are happy to present the first public release of Play 2.0
> in the form of a beta package. We have worked hard to achieve this
> beta version and we are half way to the final 2.0 version.
> Here it is:http://download.playframework.org/releases/play-2.0-beta.zip
> This beta will give you an almost complete preview of the Play 2.0
> experience, including the native Scala support, the new possibilities
> provided by the sbt integration, and all the new APIs. It comes with
> several Java and Scala sample applications you can start experimenting
> with. And following the first documentation draft athttp://github.com/playframework/Play20/wikiyou can start creating
> your first applications as well. Please give it a run around the block
> and report back any issues you find.
> The second exciting news is that Play 2.0 will be part of the upcoming
> Typesafe Stack 2.0, to be released in early 2012. Typesafe is the
> Scala company, founded by the creators of the Scala programming
> language and Akka middleware. Our vision for Play framework and
> especially for this 2.0 version is completely aligned with Typesafe’s
> focus on creating a modern software platform for the era of multicore
> hardware and cloud computing.
>
> You can read the official typesafe announcement and Jonas Boner
> (Typesafe CTO) post on the typesafe blog.
>
> -http://typesafe.com/company/news/15856
> -http://blog.typesafe.com/typesafe-stack-adds-play-framework

中村真人

Nov 16, 2011, 10:57:43 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congrats!

2011/11/17 Vik <vikra...@gmail.com>:

Olivier Refalo

Nov 16, 2011, 11:41:16 AM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
congrats

Benjamin F. Wirtz

Nov 16, 2011, 12:46:49 PM11/16/11
to play-framework
Awesome news !

Christophe

Nov 16, 2011, 1:33:17 PM11/16/11
to play-framework
Good news :) Congratulations !

Marc Deschamps

Nov 16, 2011, 3:38:04 PM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations to you and Zenexity, that's really great news!

Engin Tekin

Nov 16, 2011, 4:37:52 PM11/16/11
to play-framework
bravo:))

I am glad to hear

Xuefeng Wu

Nov 16, 2011, 8:57:08 PM11/16/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations!!!!!

You are brilliant and open mind who push the web and scala development forward!

hyder

Nov 17, 2011, 2:02:30 AM11/17/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations!

MonTarO

Nov 18, 2011, 2:57:15 PM11/18/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Congrats!

Gp P

Nov 19, 2011, 1:49:40 AM11/19/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
congrats !

I have a question though , will adding scala to core will slow down play performance ? how is play 2.0 performance compared to play 1.2.3 ?

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Guillaume Bort <guillau...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Isak Rickyanto

Nov 19, 2011, 1:53:51 AM11/19/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Adding scala will make it faster not slow down in production runtime, but may slow down in development mode.

Play 2.0 is definitely much faster, especially Play 1.2.3 + groovy base template vs Play 2.0 with scala template which is the new default template.
I run ab (apache benchmark) to compare and Play 2.0 is really fast and faster than 1.2.

--
Best regards,
Isak Rickyanto

Mathias Bogaert

Nov 19, 2011, 5:15:54 AM11/19/11
to play-framework
Congratulations, that's really good news! Keep up the good work!
Thanks for picking BoneCP and Logback!

On Nov 16, 8:03 am, Guillaume Bort <guillaume.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> This is an awesome day for Play framework, and I’m really proud of
> this moment. We have two great announcements today.
> To start, we are happy to present the first public release of Play 2.0
> in the form of a beta package. We have worked hard to achieve this
> beta version and we are half way to the final 2.0 version.
> Here it is:http://download.playframework.org/releases/play-2.0-beta.zip
> This beta will give you an almost complete preview of the Play 2.0
> experience, including the native Scala support, the new possibilities
> provided by the sbt integration, and all the new APIs. It comes with
> several Java and Scala sample applications you can start experimenting
> with. And following the first documentation draft athttp://github.com/playframework/Play20/wikiyou can start creating

> your first applications as well. Please give it a run around the block
> and report back any issues you find.
> The second exciting news is that Play 2.0 will be part of the upcoming
> Typesafe Stack 2.0, to be released in early 2012. Typesafe is the
> Scala company, founded by the creators of the Scala programming
> language and Akka middleware. Our vision for Play framework and
> especially for this 2.0 version is completely aligned with Typesafe’s
> focus on creating a modern software platform for the era of multicore
> hardware and cloud computing.
>
> You can read the official typesafe announcement and Jonas Boner
> (Typesafe CTO) post on the typesafe blog.
>
> -http://typesafe.com/company/news/15856
> -http://blog.typesafe.com/typesafe-stack-adds-play-framework

José Santos

Nov 20, 2011, 2:53:56 AM11/20/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
$ play félicitations
~        _            _
~  _ __ | | __ _ _  _| |
~
~
~ Félicitations and keep up the good work!

rason

Nov 21, 2011, 8:04:46 PM11/21/11
to play-framework
Congratulations++ ! O(∩_∩)O哈哈~