Play 2.5.0 is released!

Greg Methvin

Mar 4, 2016, 10:04:16 AM3/4/16
to play-framework, Play framework dev
Hi all,

The Play team is proud to announce the final release of Play 2.5.0!

Play 2.5 comes with several new features and enhancements, including:
  • Switched reactive streaming APIs from iteratees to Akka streams.  Iteratees are still supported but will likely be split to a separate library in the future. See the Streams Migration Guide to learn how to migrate to these.
  • Introduced equivalent Java APIs for features that previously only existing in the Scala API, such as implementing filters and custom body parsers.
  • Replaced Play functional types such as Promise and Option with Java 8 functional types such as CompletionStage and Optional. See the Java Migration Guide for more information.
  • Deprecated Global and many more of the old APIs that use global state. Created new dependency-injected APIs for Java forms. Removed the plugins API.
  • Deprecated Crypto. We plan to phase out our general crypto utilities in the future. See the Crypto Migration Guide for more info.
  • Improved performance by up to 20%.
Learn more about what's new in Play 2.5, or see the Play 2.5 Migration Guide to learn how to update your application.

The 2.5.0 release has has 135 total contributors, 94 of whom were first time contributors, bringing our total number of contributors to 588.

Thank you to everyone in the community who helped make this release possible. We encourage people to test this release out and report problems in the Play issue tracker.

Thanks,

Greg

--
Greg Methvin
Senior Software Engineer

Loic

Mar 4, 2016, 10:55:11 AM3/4/16
to play-framework, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Great release, thanks for the hard work!

Christian Schmitt

Mar 4, 2016, 11:03:52 AM3/4/16
to Play framework dev, play-fr...@googlegroups.com
It's odd that nobody checked that: https://github.com/playframework/playframework/issues/5751 before releasing. multipart/form body's should work.

laguiz

Mar 4, 2016, 11:34:07 AM3/4/16
to play-framework, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the article about Crypto Migration : https://www.playframework.com/documentation/2.5.x/CryptoMigration25

Christopher Hunt

Mar 4, 2016, 11:48:55 AM3/4/16
to Greg Methvin, play-framework, Play framework dev
This is an awesome release. Well done to everyone involved!
Message has been deleted

juan....@reduc.edu.cu

Mar 4, 2016, 12:46:24 PM3/4/16
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Great news! Congratulations play team!

4 de marzo del 2016 10:07, "Greg Methvin" <gr...@lightbend.com> escribió:
> Hi all,
>
> The Play team is proud to announce the final release of Play 2.5.0!
>
> Play 2.5 comes with several new features and enhancements, including:
>

> * Switched reactive streaming APIs from iteratees to Akka streams. Iteratees are still supported

> but will likely be split to a separate library in the future. See the Streams Migration Guide to
> learn how to migrate to these.

> * Introduced equivalent Java APIs for features that previously only existing in the Scala API, such

> as implementing filters and custom body parsers.

> * Replaced Play functional types such as Promise and Option with Java 8 functional types such as

> CompletionStage and Optional. See the Java Migration Guide for more information.

> * Deprecated Global and many more of the old APIs that use global state. Created new

> dependency-injected APIs for Java forms. Removed the plugins API.

> * Deprecated Crypto. We plan to phase out our general crypto utilities in the future. See the

> Crypto Migration Guide for more info.

> * Improved performance by up to 20%.

> Learn more about what's new in Play 2.5, or see the Play 2.5 Migration Guide to learn how to update
> your application.
>
> The 2.5.0 release has has 135 total contributors, 94 of whom were first time contributors, bringing
> our total number of contributors to 588.
>
> Thank you to everyone in the community who helped make this release possible. We encourage people
> to test this release out and report problems in the Play issue tracker.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg
>

> --Greg Methvin

> Senior Software Engineer
> Lightbend, Inc.
>

> --

> play-framewor...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/play-framework/CAA%3D11Hxccfaa-g%2BiJg7wVp%3DZ1Q%3D3V0bhiYwahzSnHW
> -NmfuJg%40mail.gmail.com.

Denis Kalinin

Mar 4, 2016, 3:11:24 PM3/4/16
to play-framework, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the release.

One observation about migration, though.

The migration guide mentions Logback changes, but it also makes sense to say that instead of

Logger.configure(context.environment)

people with compile-time DI need to use:

LoggerConfigurator(context.environment.classLoader).foreach { _.configure(context.environment) }

These changes are reflected in ScalaCompileTimeDependencyInjection but by reading the migration guide, it's not that obvious ))

Will Sargent

Mar 4, 2016, 4:14:00 PM3/4/16
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
"Note that some initialization is done per default in the GuiceApplicationBuilder that is not provided by BuiltInComponentsFromContext so that the loading can be fully customized."

That is... not my best documentation.  It should read something along the lines of "call LoggerConfigurator before you return an application, otherwise logging won't work."

Will.

Will Sargent

Mar 4, 2016, 4:29:01 PM3/4/16
to play-framework, play-fram...@googlegroups.com

juan....@reduc.edu.cu

Mar 4, 2016, 4:53:33 PM3/4/16
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
4 de marzo del 2016 10:07, "Greg Methvin" <gr...@lightbend.com> escribió:
> Hi all,
>
> The Play team is proud to announce the final release of Play 2.5.0!
>
> Play 2.5 comes with several new features and enhancements, including:
>
> * Switched reactive streaming APIs from iteratees to Akka streams. Iteratees are still supported

> but will likely be split to a separate library in the future. See the Streams Migration Guide to
> learn how to migrate to these.
> * Introduced equivalent Java APIs for features that previously only existing in the Scala API, such

> as implementing filters and custom body parsers.
> * Replaced Play functional types such as Promise and Option with Java 8 functional types such as

> CompletionStage and Optional. See the Java Migration Guide for more information.
> * Deprecated Global and many more of the old APIs that use global state. Created new

> dependency-injected APIs for Java forms. Removed the plugins API.
> * Deprecated Crypto. We plan to phase out our general crypto utilities in the future. See the

> Crypto Migration Guide for more info.
> * Improved performance by up to 20%.

> Learn more about what's new in Play 2.5, or see the Play 2.5 Migration Guide to learn how to update
> your application.
>
> The 2.5.0 release has has 135 total contributors, 94 of whom were first time contributors, bringing
> our total number of contributors to 588.
>
> Thank you to everyone in the community who helped make this release possible. We encourage people
> to test this release out and report problems in the Play issue tracker.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg
>
> --Greg Methvin

> Senior Software Engineer
> Lightbend, Inc.
>
> --

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/play-framework/CAA%3D11Hxccfaa-g%2BiJg7wVp%3DZ1Q%3D3V0bhiYwahzSnHW
> -NmfuJg%40mail.gmail.com.

I have been trying to upgrade for long hours, but I get a connection timeout from bintray. Sadly, some websites (like adobe.com and angularjs.org) block incoming connections from Cuba (my country) and it looks like a connection timeout too. Do you know if bintray.com is doing the same? I can enter JFrog's website, but can't get into *.bintray.com, where play sbt plugin releases are. Or maybe there is another repo where I can get them from?

Regards,
Juan Carlos

MojoJojo

Mar 6, 2016, 10:23:36 AM3/6/16
to play-framework, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Great news! Well done everyone!

Just wondering if any progress has been made on Akka HTTP integration?

Best Regards,
Sanket

Jochen

Mar 6, 2016, 5:16:38 PM3/6/16
to play-framework, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Great stuff!

Currently my scalatest tests are failing with play 2.5. (see https://github.com/nemoo/play-slick3-example/blob/master/test/models/ModelScalaTestSpec.scala)
When will the matching scalatestplus 1.5 be available via mavenrepository?

Thanks!

---------
[error] Uncaught exception when running models.ModelScalaTestSpec: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: play.api.test.FakeApplication$.$lessinit$greater$default$3()Lscala/collection/Seq;
sbt.ForkMain$ForkError: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: play.api.test.FakeApplication$.$lessinit$greater$default$3()Lscala/collection/Seq;
        at org.scalatestplus.play.OneAppPerTest$class.newAppForTest(OneAppPerTest.scala:69)
        at models.ModelScalaTestSpec.newAppForTest(ModelScalaTestSpec.scala:14)
        at org.scalatestplus.play.OneAppPerTest$class.withFixture(OneAppPerTest.scala:86)
        at models.ModelScalaTestSpec.withFixture(ModelScalaTestSpec.scala:14)

Tianhao Li

Mar 7, 2016, 12:59:53 AM3/7/16
to play-framework, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
I got so many broken changes for my project :-(

Mike Bryant

Mar 7, 2016, 4:24:54 AM3/7/16
to play-framework, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Great job guys. For my Scala-based project I found this was by far the most straightforward migration since 2.0.

Adam Lane

Mar 9, 2016, 8:05:08 PM3/9/16
to play-framework, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
"Improved performance by up to 20%" *
* offer does not include multipart forms. Friendly reminder not to upgrade to 2.5.0 if you have multipart forms!

Stevenson Cunanan Lee

Mar 10, 2016, 3:21:34 AM3/10/16
to play-framework, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if this is related but I tried to create a new play-scala project and as it compiles it gets this error.

  • Examining project/play.sbt
  • Examining project/plugins.sbt
  • Examining project/play-fork-run.sbt
  • Using unsupported version of Play: 2.5.0
How do I fix this?

Best Regards,
Stevenson Leee

Naftoli Gugenheim

Mar 10, 2016, 6:30:53 AM3/10/16
to play-framework, play-fram...@googlegroups.com

It's a bug in Activator that was fixed, dunno if the fix was released.

Naftoli Gugenheim

Mar 10, 2016, 6:32:15 AM3/10/16
to play-framework, play-fram...@googlegroups.com

BTW I hope next time (2.6) activator is updated in advance. Is there some release process doc where this should be mentioned?

Will Sargent

Mar 11, 2016, 12:07:06 AM3/11/16
to Naftoli Gugenheim, play-framework, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Added it.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Play framework dev" group.

Stevenson Cunanan

Mar 14, 2016, 1:55:49 AM3/14/16
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, Naftoli Gugenheim, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

Sorry to ask but what play version should I used then?
How do I get the changes? (I think I should just change the plugin.sbt in the projects folder but I'm not sure)

Best Regards,
Stevenson Lee

Stevenson Cunanan Lee

Mar 17, 2016, 12:15:02 AM3/17/16
to play-framework, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Is there a way we can fix our project?

Best Regards,
Stevenson Lee

Will Sargent

Mar 17, 2016, 11:24:43 AM3/17/16
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, Naftoli Gugenheim, play-fram...@googlegroups.com
Good point -- the migration guide does not actually cover upgrading the SBT plugin!

It is covered in the new application section, so if you have all of the following it should work fine:

Will.