[play-framework] [2.0] Cloud Service Providers which support Play 2.0 apps

Bill

Apr 30, 2012, 5:14:45 PM4/30/12
to play-framework
Hello All,

I've written a play 2.0 service app which exposes a websocket
controller action. I'm planning to deploy/host it on a cloud service
but i have a little knowledge which cloud service support play 2.0
app. Could you tell me any Cloud Service providers which support Play
2.0 apps hosting ? Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Ivan Meredith

Apr 30, 2012, 5:38:07 PM4/30/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Cloudbees and Jelastic with https://github.com/dlecan/play2-war-plugin

Heroku using plays built in netty

Bill

Apr 30, 2012, 7:21:42 PM4/30/12
to play-framework
Hello Ivan,

Thanks for responding my query. I also want to add a link about how to
deploy a Play 2.0 app into Heroku, in case anyone need it:
https://github.com/playframework/Play20/wiki/ProductionHeroku

Cheers.

On May 1, 5:38 am, Ivan Meredith <i...@ivan.net.nz> wrote:
> Cloudbees and Jelastic withhttps://github.com/dlecan/play2-war-plugin
>
> Heroku using plays built in netty

sas

May 1, 2012, 4:07:45 PM5/1/12
to play-framework
Using the do-it-yourself application, it's relatively easy to have
your play2 apps running on openshift, red hat's PaaS

here's a quickstart that will help you get started

https://github.com/opensas/play2-openshift-quickstart#readme

we did a webinar showing the whole process, in a couple of days will
put it online

saludos

sas

Bill

May 1, 2012, 6:50:14 PM5/1/12
to play-framework
Hello Sas,

That's awesome!. I'm looking forward for the online material of PLay 2
in OpenShift. Meanwhile, i have deployed a play 2.0 web app sample
into Heroku successfully (http://sharp-sword-3552.herokuapp.com).
However, i still felt uneasy when seeing that the Playframework's
opening page didn't show up on the screen ( it only showed a plain
HTML with 'Your new application is ready.' string rendered on it).
Seemed like heroku is unable to render the scala HTML view pages. Does
it an expected behaviour which happen with everyone whom deploying
their play 2.0 app in Heroku ? or is there any settings that i miss
with the play 2.0 app in heroku ?

Cheer.

On May 2, 4:07 am, sas <open...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Using the do-it-yourself application, it's relatively easy to have
> your play2 apps running on openshift, red hat's PaaS
>
> here's a quickstart that will help you get started
>
> https://github.com/opensas/play2-openshift-quickstart#readme
>
> we did a webinar showing the whole process, in a couple of days will
> put it online
>
> saludos
>
> sas
>
> On 30 abr, 20:21,Bill<saintc0...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hello Ivan,
>
> > Thanks for responding my query. I also want to add a link about how to
> > deploy a Play 2.0 app into Heroku, in case anyone need it:https://github.com/playframework/Play20/wiki/ProductionHeroku
>
> > Cheers.
>
> > On May 1, 5:38 am, Ivan Meredith <i...@ivan.net.nz> wrote:
>
> > > Cloudbees and Jelastic withhttps://github.com/dlecan/play2-war-plugin
>
> > > Heroku using plays built in netty

Ivan Meredith

May 1, 2012, 9:32:22 PM5/1/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
That is the default production page. That is a scala html view page probably.

Bill

May 2, 2012, 7:45:43 AM5/2/12
to play-framework
Hello Ivan,

Thanks for responding my latest query. I've just realised that once
the app is deployed into heroku, it is compiled as a production app.
I'm curious whether anyone have ever run play 2.0 web apps in heroku
which expose websocket controller actions before. Did anyone try it
before ?

Thanks.

On May 2, 9:32 am, Ivan Meredith <i...@ivan.net.nz> wrote:
> That is the default production page. That is a scala html view page probably

Nico

May 2, 2012, 11:11:04 AM5/2/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I tried it but Heroku does not (yet ?) support Websockets for the moment (https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/play-framework/QaTzF7Fau8Q), neither OpenShift (https://openshift.redhat.com/community/content/websockets-support)

On Wednesday, May 2, 2012 1:45:43 PM UTC+2, Bill wrote:
Hello Ivan,

Ben McCann

May 2, 2012, 11:53:36 AM5/2/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I've just been using a VPS (e.g. EC2, Linode, etc.) with supervisord and fabric.

Bill

May 3, 2012, 12:55:04 AM5/3/12
to play-framework
Hello Nico & Ben,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about Play 2.0 web apps in cloud
services. When i was googling about it, i've found that dotcloud host
websockets web apps. Please have looks to this link:
http://docs.dotcloud.com/guides/websockets/. Have anyone tried
deploying play 2.0 websocket app in dotcloud lately ? how was it
going ? Many thanks in advance, folks.

Cheers.

On 2 Mei, 23:53, Ben McCann <benjamin.j.mcc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just been using a VPS (e.g. EC2, Linode, etc.) with supervisord<http://supervisord.org/>and
> fabric <http://docs.fabfile.org/en/1.4.1/index.html>.
>

> On Wednesday, May 2, 2012 11:11:04 AM UTC-4, Nico wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > I tried it but Heroku does not (yet ?) support Websockets for the moment (
> >https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/play-framework/QaT...),
> > neither OpenShift (

Mariot Chauvin

May 3, 2012, 4:04:51 AM5/3/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I did not try with a websocket app, but if you would like to test have a look to:

According to their documentation, there is noting specific to configure if you are are not using a custom domain.

Cheers,

Mariot

Nico

May 3, 2012, 6:23:28 AM5/3/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Big thanks for the info !

I just tried to deploy my Websocket Play app (http://goo.gl/fapsG) and it works like a charm (just had to make some customization on the Mariot's scripts). You can see the result here: http://maptracker-ndeverge.dotcloud.com/map
See the attached screenshot.
websocket.png

sas

May 3, 2012, 3:32:18 PM5/3/12
to play-framework
yes, most cloud providers run play apps on production mode, and for
security reasons when running on prod mode play doesn't show the
welcome page, that leaks lot's of information

if you run your app locally on production mode you'll see the same
message

saludos

sas

sas

May 3, 2012, 3:33:58 PM5/3/12
to play-framework
yea, I talked to openshift devs and it seems it's not so eays to keep
a sokect connection open on a cloud environmente, they are working on
it though

On 2 mayo, 12:11, Nico <ndeve...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried it but Heroku does not (yet ?) support Websockets for the moment (https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/play-framework/QaT...),

Bill

May 3, 2012, 3:47:12 PM5/3/12
to play-framework
Hello Nico, Mariot & Sas,

Thanks all for your great responses. I would try out to test the
dotcloud and see how it goes with websocket in play2.0, in this
weekend.

Cheers.

On May 4, 3:33 am, sas <open...@gmail.com> wrote:
> yea, I talked to openshift devs and it seems it's not so eays to keep
> a sokect connection open on acloudenvironmente, they are working on

Nico

May 3, 2012, 3:49:58 PM5/3/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sas !
Yeah, sure, it may be hard to implement since Websocket brings some kind of statefull state, which is hard to scale in a cloud env...

Nico

May 3, 2012, 3:52:33 PM5/3/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Bill,

if you want to take a look, I updated a Websocket demo  of mine with the config files needed to deploy on dotcloud, the files are available here (in the 'dotcloud' branch): https://github.com/Ekito/MapTracker/tree/dotcloud
I followed the hints given by Mariot.

Bill

May 4, 2012, 7:50:32 AM5/4/12
to play-framework
That's awesome, Nico ! Thanks for sharing your sample app to us. I'll
workout my apps later.

Cheers.