Could we have a "Meet the team" page for playframework.org?

T.J. Crowder

Oct 4, 2011, 6:28:01 AM10/4/11
to play-framework
Hi,

It would be _really useful_ to have a page on the playframework.org
site listing who the core Play! framework team are. From the outside,
it's really hard to tell who, other than Guillaume of course, speaks
for the project. The contributor's list[1] just tells us who
contributes, not who's driving and/or who speaks for the project. This
causes confusion, because apparently Zenexity people who do speak for
the project post to this group using non-Zenexity email addresses and
without listing their affiliation, making it hard to figure out that
they have any standing for what they say.

For example, recently Nicolas Leroux said[2] "Play 1.x will still be
actively maintained for at least the next 8 months." and later Sadache
Aldrobi (the name listed on the messages here) posted[3] saying "Play
1.x will be supported and maintained, period. I don't know were the '8
months' comes from." Neither posted from a playframework.org or
Zenexity email address, but searching for those names on the
playframework.org site gives the impression Nicolas is closer to the
project (as neither "Sadache" nor "Aldrobi" appears anywhere on
playframework.org or zenexity.com). You have to figure out that
Sadache Aldrobi is Sadek Drobi to find out that he, too, is close to
the project (and even seems to have a zenexity.fr email address).

That's an example of the confusion. When I first started looking at
Play! and reading the list, it was really hard to tell who was who.
Having a list of "core" team members who speak for the direction of
the project would be really useful for figuring out the gravitas of
statements by various people. And hey, Play! is really cool, I'd think
the people responsible would want to shout about it. :-)

[1] https://github.com/playframework/play/contributors
[2] http://groups.google.com/group/play-framework/msg/ea344146bb18ae14
[3] http://groups.google.com/group/play-framework/msg/7678393a559bfade
--
T.J. Crowder
Independent Software Engineer

Pascal Voitot Dev

Oct 4, 2011, 6:28:45 AM10/4/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
+1

Fehmi Can SAĞLAM

Oct 4, 2011, 6:34:38 AM10/4/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com, Pascal Voitot Dev
+1000

On Tue Oct 4 13:28:45 2011, Pascal Voitot Dev wrote:
> +1
>
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 12:28 PM, T.J. Crowder <t...@crowdersoftware.com
> <mailto:t...@crowdersoftware.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> It would be _really useful_ to have a page on the

> playframework.org <http://playframework.org>

> site listing who the core Play! framework team are. From the outside,
> it's really hard to tell who, other than Guillaume of course, speaks
> for the project. The contributor's list[1] just tells us who
> contributes, not who's driving and/or who speaks for the project. This
> causes confusion, because apparently Zenexity people who do speak for
> the project post to this group using non-Zenexity email addresses and
> without listing their affiliation, making it hard to figure out that
> they have any standing for what they say.
>
> For example, recently Nicolas Leroux said[2] "Play 1.x will still be
> actively maintained for at least the next 8 months." and later Sadache
> Aldrobi (the name listed on the messages here) posted[3] saying "Play
> 1.x will be supported and maintained, period. I don't know were the '8
> months' comes from." Neither posted from a playframework.org

> <http://playframework.org> or

> Zenexity email address, but searching for those names on the

> playframework.org <http://playframework.org> site gives the

> impression Nicolas is closer to the
> project (as neither "Sadache" nor "Aldrobi" appears anywhere on

> playframework.org <http://playframework.org> or zenexity.com
> <http://zenexity.com>). You have to figure out that

> Sadache Aldrobi is Sadek Drobi to find out that he, too, is close to
> the project (and even seems to have a zenexity.fr

> <http://zenexity.fr> email address).

> That's an example of the confusion. When I first started looking at
> Play! and reading the list, it was really hard to tell who was who.
> Having a list of "core" team members who speak for the direction of
> the project would be really useful for figuring out the gravitas of
> statements by various people. And hey, Play! is really cool, I'd think
> the people responsible would want to shout about it. :-)
>
> [1] https://github.com/playframework/play/contributors
> [2] http://groups.google.com/group/play-framework/msg/ea344146bb18ae14
> [3] http://groups.google.com/group/play-framework/msg/7678393a559bfade
> --
> T.J. Crowder
> Independent Software Engineer
> tj / crowder software / com
> www / crowder software / com
>
> --

> <mailto:play-fr...@googlegroups.com>.

> play-framewor...@googlegroups.com

> <mailto:play-framework%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.

arac...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2011, 7:35:19 AM10/4/11
to play-framework
+lots

This is important and easy to do :)

On Oct 4, 11:34 am, Fehmi Can SAĞLAM <fehmican.sag...@gmail.com>

Johan Vosloo

Oct 4, 2011, 7:55:32 AM10/4/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
+1

Jose Luis Manrique Cabana

Oct 4, 2011, 10:03:13 AM10/4/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
+1

2011/10/4 T.J. Crowder <t...@crowdersoftware.com>

Saludos cordiales,
Jose Luis Manrique Cabana

Peter Hilton - committer (Lunatech)

Oct 4, 2011, 2:04:26 PM10/4/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Here are some details for the committers, as listed at https://github.com/playframework/
  • Guillaume Bort, CTO at Zenexity (Paris, France)
  • Erwan LoisantWeb Architect at Zenexity (Paris, France)
  • Sadek DrobiTech Lead at Zenexity (Paris, France)
  • Nicolas Leroux, CTO and senior developer at Lunatech Research (Rotterdam, the Netherlands)
  • Peter Hilton, Operations Director and senior developer at Lunatech Research (Rotterdam, the Netherlands)
  • Morten KjetlandSenior Consultant at Webstep (Bergen, Norway)
  • Peter HauselSenior Software Engineer at Bookish.com (New York, USA)
In addition, there are many more contributors, including several at both Zenexity and Lunatech.

Rakesh Waghela

Oct 4, 2011, 2:13:01 PM10/4/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
It took Mr. Hilton just 2 mins to post on mail list ;) Hopefully detailed team/core committers'  page comes in a week or so :)

T.J. Crowder

Oct 4, 2011, 5:33:52 PM10/4/11
to play-framework
On Oct 4, 7:04 pm, "Peter Hilton - committer (Lunatech)"
<peter.hil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here are some details for the committers, as listed
> athttps://github.com/playframework/

Thanks Peter. The GitHub list is, of course, not necessarily
indicative of who can speak for the project, your run-down is much
more useful. Looking forward to a page on playframework.org doing this
going forward.

Thanks again,

Peter Hilton - committer (Lunatech)

Oct 5, 2011, 3:13:56 AM10/5/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Who can speak for the project depends on the question. Guillaume sets the project direction, but some issues are also dependent on individual committers’ interests, which vary.

Tomas

Oct 5, 2011, 5:16:20 AM10/5/11
to play-framework
On a similar note, I would like to know how many of the contributors
will be focusing on supporting Play 1. It worries me a bit that there
are so many open bug reports and pull requests. How can we - the
community help bring these numbers down?

On Oct 5, 9:13 am, "Peter Hilton - committer (Lunatech)"

sas

Oct 5, 2011, 8:22:44 PM10/5/11
to play-framework
Pretty good question, indeed, how can we better contribute to the
project

I think that one area that can be improved, and that would be in my
play 2.0 wish list, is to better organize in modules the test suite of
the framework, and to give more accurate guidelines on how to develop
test cases.

Right now there's a pretty extensive test suit in the samples-and-
tests directory, but it's not very clear where and how one should add
tests. More over starting the app in test mode takes a lot of time.

I think with a clear tutorial on how to develop test cases, and
specially what to test, it would be easier for the community to test
and document bugs and new features...

saludos

sas