Create New User

Robert Ross

May 16, 2017, 8:58:59 AM5/16/17
to pinnacle3-users
Hi List

I'm looking at creating individual log ins for Pinnacle.  This is easy to do, but I want to copy all the p3rtp preferences to the new user.  I could write something to do this using shell commands and Python, but if anyone has an extant solution they would be willing to share, I'd be grateful.

Kind regards
Robert

Gary Bee

May 17, 2017, 1:58:59 AM5/17/17
to pinnacle3-users
Hi Robert
We have a generic user (p3rtp) with restricted access. This user owns the preference files in their home directory, they are set read only for the pinnacle group.

Then when setting up a new user we use these lines in a bash script (which is fed with $1 as the new users login name):
ln -s /home/p3rtp/Pinnacle.SimPreferences_14.0 /home/$1/
ln -s /home/p3rtp/Pinnacle.AtlasPreferences_14.0 /home/$1/
ln -s /home/p3rtp/Pinnacle.Preferences_14.0 /home/$1/
ln -s /home/p3rtp/Pinnacle.IMRTPreferences_14.0 /home/$1/

This way Preferences are identical for all users and are locked down.

Kind regards
Gary

Zane Buller

May 17, 2017, 4:32:11 AM5/17/17
to pinnacle3-users
Hi Robert,

We use softlinks to p3rtp the same as Gary, with admin managing their own accounts. I've attached a non bsh script I run from p3rtp, in case that helps. Only downside is you need to repeat for new Pinnacle versions. Also include Launchpadinit and Pinnicleinit if you have customised those.

Ta
Zane

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 1:58:59 PM UTC+1, Robert Ross wrote:
NewUser.Master

Robert Ross

May 19, 2017, 5:00:01 AM5/19/17
to pinnacle3-users
Hi All

Thanks for all the replies on and off list.  I particularly like Gary and Zane's softlinks, those should make updating parameters much easier across all users.

Kind regards
Robert