Picochess 2.01 reloaded with buster lite, SF11, LC0 for standalone Pi3 and Pi4 (link included)

Henri Spijkerman

Mar 18, 2020, 6:49:54 PM3/18/20
to PicoChess

With thanks to Al and Randy here's Picochess 2.01 reloaded, the original 2.01 version with original, but updated engines.

The image is for stand alone Pi3 and Pi4, connected to a DGT board with USB-cable and with a DGT3000 clock connected to the DGT board as well. The idea is that you do not need to have much Pi-knowledge and don't need linux-knowledge at all, and that it will simply work out of the box. Just burn the image on a SD-card of 16gb (or more) and stick it into your Pi. All selections can be made by using the display on the clock.
Hopefully it will persuade a lot of people with a DGT-board to buy a Pi, a proper power supply, a usb-cable, a small speaker with audio jack and a SD-card to use Picochess, which is the best (and cheapest) chesscomputer around! :)

This version is NOT meant for DGT-pi, I do not have the device so please do not ask me about it.

So what's on this version:

- Original engines updates:
a-stockf (Stockfish 11)
b-texel (1.08a8)
c-arasan (v. 22.0.0-30)
h-sayuri (2018.05.23)
l-laser (1.8 beta)
v-vajolet (2.8.0)

Extra: The latest leela version (Lc0 v0.25.0-dev+git.b4a0690) with Little Demon 2 weight, which is considered the strongest network for slow computers (although the new 700xxx networks are getting close!). I had to reinstall dependencies in order to make it work for both Pi-versions.

- Books
All books are on the image (afaik), including an updated cerebellum book.

- Tablebases
5 pieces Syzygy instead of 4 pieces

- Corrected display.pi file

There are no MAME engines on this version. It is not possible to simply switch from PICO to MAME engines and back again without touching the program, and that's against my principles. Hopefully Al or someone else can build a clock- or boardoption to switch between MAME and PICO engines easily.

It would be nice to build a simular version for the DGT-Pi. Somehow we need to get back to standard versions, otherwise it will be hard to spread the good word without a lot of confusion.

Compared to pi-wizards like Al I consider myself an absolute amateur. I have tested the image on Pi3, Pi4 and even Pi Zero. Should you find grave errors, excuse me and let me know.

And finally, the link for download:

Have fun.

Henri

liam luty

Mar 19, 2020, 8:37:28 AM3/19/20
to PicoChess
I'll try it tonight.

Thanks

Liam

RandyR

Mar 19, 2020, 9:20:52 AM3/19/20
to PicoChess
That's great, Henri. Thanks for sharing.

Randy

liam luty

Mar 19, 2020, 1:08:10 PM3/19/20
to PicoChess