Random Segmentation Fault

Tom Wardrop

Mar 15, 2013, 12:26:22 AM3/15/13
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
I'm getting a random segmentation fault when running Passenger 4.0.0-rc4 on Ruby 2.0.0. I can reproduce the problem by loading the same page 3 - 20 times - eventually I'll get a segmentation fault. I've tried both Apache and Nginx and both suffer from the problem, so it's obviously not web server issue. It doesn't coincide with any particular library. Sometimes it'll bomb out in ERB while processing a template, sometimes in SASS, sometimes in Nokogiri, etc. I've managed to work around the problem by setting the spawn method to direct rather than smart, but I'd really like to make using of smart spawning if possible. It's obviously a threading problem, but have no idea at what level: Ruby, Passenger, or some other library.

Does anyone know what I should do to try and get to the bottom of what's causing this? I've attached a dump of the passenger debug log file containing numerous segmentation faults.

Hongli Lai

Mar 15, 2013, 7:02:17 AM3/15/13
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com

Your attachments are missing. :)

But if it's the Ruby process crashing then there's nothing Phusion Passenger can do about it. Most likely it's a bug in Ruby 2.0. In our tests we've also found a number of Ruby 2.0 bugs that indicate it's better to wait for the next patchlevel.

Sent from my Android phone.

Op 15 mrt. 2013 05:26 schreef "Tom Wardrop" <t...@tomwardrop.com> het volgende:
[...]

Tom Wardrop

Mar 16, 2013, 10:55:47 PM3/16/13
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
I'm having trouble attaching the file. Maybe it's too big?

I'm assuming it is a Ruby 2.0.0 issue also. I found one other report of an issue that seemed to resemble what I'm experiencing, and the poster said going back to 1.9.3 fixed it. I can't do that as my framework uses Ruby 2.0.0 features.

Tom Wardrop

Mar 16, 2013, 11:07:28 PM3/16/13
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
Attachments do not seem to work on Google Groups these days. Keep getting errors "communicating with the server" on submit. Anyway, here's a copy as a gist:

Hongli Lai

Mar 18, 2013, 10:45:47 AM3/18/13
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
Yes that definitely looks like a Ruby interpreter crash. Unfortunately
I don't have a better answer for you than to tell you to downgrade to
1.9, or wait until the Ruby team fixes this.

--
Phusion | Ruby & Rails deployment, scaling and tuning solutions

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 08173483 (The Netherlands)

Tom Wardrop

Mar 25, 2013, 9:21:58 AM3/25/13
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to let you know that said issue has been patched in case anyone else asks. Bug report can be found here: https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/8100