Membership Request Vote Processing: Sponsor Model

Paul Jones

Dec 5, 2012, 7:36:41 PM12/5/12
to php...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Flattering though it is to be considered such, I am not the official membership request vote-couting person. :-)

I cannot be counted on (ha!) to tally votes in a timely manner. Probably no single person on this list can be. As such, we need a more sustainable rule to make sure people are encouraged to vote on membership requests, and that the votes get tallied in a timely manner.

I suggest a "sponsor" model. In this approach, the applicant seeks out a sponsor; that is, a current voting member. That can happen on the list, or off. Then when the applicant makes his request, he names his sponsor as part of the application email.

The sponsor, for his part, is in charge of the voting process. He notes the starting and ending dates, the number of voting members at the start of the vote, and the quorum count needed. He sends out reminders by whatever means he feels appropriate to drive the vote. At the end of the voting period, he tallies the votes, notes if quorum was established, and whether or not the application was accepted.

This approach distributes the workload so that we're not dependent on any one person, and nothing gets left "to the group" (or to me ;-) to be handled appropriately.

What do we think of that idea?

* * *

Having said all that, I will tally up the current membership vote threads and follow through on updating any accepted members.

-- pmj

Ryan Parman

Dec 6, 2012, 12:35:23 AM12/6/12
to php...@googlegroups.com
I'm game. Let's document the process on the site somewhere so that we can all easily find it, and can then know what needs to be done. IMO, this doesn't need a vote or anything. JFDI.

Larry Garfield

Dec 6, 2012, 1:24:31 AM12/6/12
to php...@googlegroups.com
Makes complete sense to me. +1.

(And if someone can't find anyone to sponsor them, that's probably an
indication they wouldn't be accepted anyway.)

--Larry Garfield

Mike van Riel

Dec 6, 2012, 1:53:35 AM12/6/12
to php...@googlegroups.com
Nothing to add, sounds good. +1

Paul Dragoonis

Dec 6, 2012, 8:32:33 AM12/6/12
to php...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good to me paul. It solves an obvious problem.

Brett Bieber

Dec 6, 2012, 9:13:21 AM12/6/12
to php...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Paul Jones <pmjo...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Sounds good to me.

--
Brett Bieber

William Durand

Dec 6, 2012, 11:30:51 AM12/6/12
to php...@googlegroups.com
+1

--
William Durand | http://www.williamdurand.fr

Devon H. O'Dell

Dec 6, 2012, 12:38:03 PM12/6/12
to php...@googlegroups.com
2012/12/5 Paul Jones <pmjo...@gmail.com>:
<...>
> What do we think of that idea?

It sounds like a great idea to this non-member.

One (at least tangentially) related question is whether new members
can vote in an overlapping time period. That is: person A starts the
process at T1, person B at T2. A becomes a member at T3, B becomes a
member at T4. (These times are sequential.) Is A eligible to vote on
B? Is the quorum value inclusive of A or is it determined at the time
the vote began?

I realize that this is inconsequential for me; I seem to recall some
of these questions coming up in other voting threads and I don't know
whether they were answered (or at least, I didn't see the answers).
Apologies if this is already well-defined.

--dho

> * * *
>
> Having said all that, I will tally up the current membership vote threads and follow through on updating any accepted members.
>

> -- pmj

justin

Dec 6, 2012, 12:58:45 PM12/6/12
to php...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Devon H. O'Dell <devon...@gmail.com> wrote:
One (at least tangentially) related question is whether new members
can vote in an overlapping time period. That is: person A starts the
process at T1, person B at T2. A becomes a member at T3, B becomes a
member at T4. (These times are sequential.) Is A eligible to vote on
B? Is the quorum value inclusive of A or is it determined at the time
the vote began?

A fair approach might be: if A chooses to vote on B, the quorum value would be inclusive of A. If A abstains, the quorum value should not include A.

--j

Phil Sturgeon

Jun 21, 2013, 9:36:00 AM6/21/13
to php...@googlegroups.com
As a heads up, the new Review Workflow bylaw forces a "Coordinator" to take the role of "vote counter person" for any PSR-related votes, so a similar deal should be set up for membership voting.

I say the sponsor should be in charge of counting? That's how I've done it in the past.

Larry Garfield

Jun 21, 2013, 11:14:51 AM6/21/13
to php...@googlegroups.com
I thought that was already the idea of the membership application
process; a sponsor is responsible for endorsing, calling a vote,
counting, and if it passes filing a pull request to add the
project/person to the site.

--Larry Garfield
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/8aa0160d-2caa-4937-82f2-2f9627ad670a%40googlegroups.com.

Donald Gilbert

Jun 22, 2013, 11:39:06 PM6/22/13
to php...@googlegroups.com
+1 - the sponsor should be the point of contact for the applicant to the FIG, and as such take responsibility for initiating and counting votes.