[VOTE][Accept] PSR-16: Simple Cache

Jordi Boggiano

Dec 18, 2016, 10:25:54 AM12/18/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
After a fruitful month of review and final tweaks (thanks to all
involved), I think we are ready for a vote here at the PSR-16 headquarters.

Please find the specification here:

-
https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/blob/1d4f586d0bbe7e30cf8972268be8cef9d321fdcc/proposed/simplecache.md

And the meta document:

-
https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/blob/1d4f586d0bbe7e30cf8972268be8cef9d321fdcc/proposed/simplecache-meta.md

There are currently 37 voting member projects, which means we must
have 13 votes to pass quorum, with half or more of all votes cast in
favor, in order to approve acceptance of PSR-16.

Voting starts now (Dec 18th 15:25 UTC) and will therefore run until
January 1st, 15:25 UTC - so we can hopefully start the year on a good
note ;)

Best Regards and Merry Christmas while I am at it,
Jordi

--
Jordi Boggiano
@seldaek - http://seld.be

Jordi Boggiano

Dec 18, 2016, 10:26:29 AM12/18/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
Before I forget, +1 for Composer :)

Paul Dragoonis

Dec 19, 2016, 9:40:40 AM12/19/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

+1 for PPI Framework Engine

Can the rest of the group please get behind this, and vote?

Many thanks,
Paul

Larry Garfield

Dec 19, 2016, 10:15:04 AM12/19/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
The spec was non-trivially altered just recently, wasn't it? That means
the 2 week review period needs to be reset, so people have a chance to
review the latest changes and give feedback if necessary.

For instance, it looks like getMultiple() Is still taking an iterable
for $keys, whereas PSR-6 wants a straight array there. That's something
a few people had pushed back on before, but doesn't appear to have been
corrected. (*Returning* iterable is fine; asking for an iterable on
keys is just unnecessary complexity.)

I look forward to voting +1 on this spec, but I don't believe we can
yet. It needs another review period, just like every other recent spec.
(There's still enough time to do so before FIG 3 takes over, don't worry.)

--Larry Garfield

Jordi Boggiano

Dec 19, 2016, 10:25:07 AM12/19/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
On 19/12/2016 16:14, Larry Garfield wrote:
> The spec was non-trivially altered just recently, wasn't it? That means
> the 2 week review period needs to be reset, so people have a chance to
> review the latest changes and give feedback if necessary.

No it wasn't non-trivially altered. I did two changes recently which you
suggested a long time ago and were anyway kinda trivial, namely:

- Add Data section from PSR-6 (which was implicit before I guess)
- Use `iterable` type hint (which replaces array|Traversable, and is
100% equivalent, just phpdoc sugar).

> For instance, it looks like getMultiple() Is still taking an iterable
> for $keys, whereas PSR-6 wants a straight array there. That's something
> a few people had pushed back on before, but doesn't appear to have been
> corrected. (*Returning* iterable is fine; asking for an iterable on
> keys is just unnecessary complexity.)

That you disagree, or even a few people disagree, doesn't mean it has to
lead to a spec change IMO. This "unnecessary complexity" means PSR-6
adapters have to call iterator_to_array() on the $keys arg before
passing it downstream, it's like 1-2 lines of code times 3 functions.
It's kind of a nitpick, and I would personally not call this complexity.
It allows for a few more use cases at very little cost for implementors.

And finally this isn't trying to push the vote quickly before FIG 3,
this is trying to finally pass it so I can move on to other things,
because it has been implemented by a few projects already and they gave
feedback and we updated a few things and now it's been two weeks without
much of anything happening.

Best,

Leo Feyer

Dec 23, 2016, 10:38:25 AM12/23/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
+1 from Contao

Cees-Jan Kiewiet

Dec 23, 2016, 2:42:15 PM12/23/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
+1 from ReactPHP

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 4:38 PM, Leo Feyer <l...@contao.org> wrote:
+1 from Contao

Fabien Potencier

Dec 23, 2016, 3:24:35 PM12/23/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
+1 Symfony

On 12/23/16 20:42, Cees-Jan Kiewiet wrote:
> +1 from ReactPHP
>
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 4:38 PM, Leo Feyer <l...@contao.org
> <mailto:l...@contao.org>> wrote:
>
> +1 from Contao
>
> --
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/CAPY1sU-C9qfFcbu%3DmNZ5_0YzuVLPomc9Q2Q-7Lj%3DgXAL3wsXxw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/CAPY1sU-C9qfFcbu%3DmNZ5_0YzuVLPomc9Q2Q-7Lj%3DgXAL3wsXxw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Karsten Dambekalns

Dec 23, 2016, 5:53:18 PM12/23/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

> Am 18.12.2016 um 17:25 schrieb Jordi Boggiano <j.bog...@seld.be>:
>
> After a fruitful month of review and final tweaks (thanks to all involved), I think we are ready for a vote here at the PSR-16 headquarters.

+1 from Neos.

Regards,
Karsten

Lukas Kahwe Smith

Dec 24, 2016, 5:06:49 AM12/24/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
+1 from Jackalope

regards,
Lukas
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to php-fig+u...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/66a68821-61f9-80c9-c2cd-f2ed33f97130%40gmail.com.

Marc Alexander

Dec 24, 2016, 4:58:49 PM12/24/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
+1 from phpBB

Amanda Folson

Dec 25, 2016, 4:32:30 PM12/25/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to comment on the post above regarding process. Larry is correct in that modifications (beyond typos) during review require the spec to go back into draft status. However, at the time, neither the sponsor nor the coordinator decided to pull the spec from review and return it to draft status. As a result we're at a bit of an impasse. Since the vote is currently under way, and in the interest of keeping things moving forward, it makes sense to let the vote continue unless anyone has any strong objections to this deviation from process. If there are outstanding technical issues that need to be addressed, the vote can be pulled.

This should have been handled as soon as Larry posted about it, before people started investing time in reviewing and voting, but with the holidays there was a bit of a delay for which we’re very sorry.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out.

-Amanda

Alexander Makarov

Dec 29, 2016, 7:30:06 AM12/29/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
+1 from Yii.

Dracony

Dec 29, 2016, 10:44:10 AM12/29/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
+1 from PHPixie
Already implemented in todays php/cache =)

Chris Tankersley

Dec 29, 2016, 11:23:16 AM12/29/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
+1 from Sculpin,

-Chris

Chris Tankersley
http://ctankersley.com

Ryan Thompson

Dec 29, 2016, 11:26:13 AM12/29/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
+1 from Pyro

Chuck Burgess

Dec 29, 2016, 11:33:36 AM12/29/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
+1 from PEAR

Michiel Rook

Dec 29, 2016, 11:35:36 AM12/29/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
+1 from Phing!

Matteo Beccati

Dec 29, 2016, 1:04:54 PM12/29/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
+1 from Revive Adserver
Matteo Beccati

Development & Consulting - http://www.beccati.com/

Jason Coward

Dec 29, 2016, 3:27:16 PM12/29/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
+1 from Slim Framework

Adam Culp

Dec 29, 2016, 4:52:51 PM12/29/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
-1

IBMiToolkit

Regards,
Adam Culp

Nate Abele

Dec 29, 2016, 6:18:47 PM12/29/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
-1 Lithium

Aaron Piotrowski

Dec 29, 2016, 9:56:30 PM12/29/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
+1 from Icicle.

Robert Deutz

Dec 30, 2016, 5:07:48 AM12/30/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
+1 for Joomla

Robert

Damian Mooyman

Dec 30, 2016, 5:39:38 AM12/30/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
+1 SilverStripe

Jeroen De Dauw

Dec 30, 2016, 7:00:51 AM12/30/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

+1 from Wikibase and SMW

Cheers
Software craftsmanship advocate | Developer at Wikimedia Germany
~=[,,_,,]:3

Ben Marks

Dec 30, 2016, 4:43:52 PM12/30/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
+1 Magento

Matthew Weier O'Phinney

Dec 30, 2016, 5:58:42 PM12/30/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
-1 from Zend Framework

I'm missing a few details in the meta document and the spec for which I cannot find discussions:

- I've seen a number of libraries allow a callback for the "default" value, which allows deferring calculation of such a value until it's needed. Was this ever considered? If so, why was it rejected? If not, could this be important?

- The spec mentions compatibility with psr-6, and mentions that each instance should be considered a logical pool instance. What I fail to see in the meta document is any indication of examples of how the two relate at an operational level. Examples, I feel, are required here.

- I've seen discussion of why hasMultiple was omitted, but those are not captured in the meta document.

As such, the spec feels incomplete.

Korvin Szanto

André R.

Dec 31, 2016, 12:55:29 PM12/31/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
+1 from eZ

But we really need to make the distinction between this and psr-6 clear, including stating psr-6 will be the one getting user facing features like pherhaps tagging in the future.

Shefik

Dec 31, 2016, 1:37:13 PM12/31/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
+1 from Zikula

Rémi Gaillard

Jan 2, 2017, 4:28:51 AM1/2/17
to php...@googlegroups.com
+1 from PrestaShop

Jordi Boggiano

Jan 2, 2017, 8:44:48 AM1/2/17
to php...@googlegroups.com
Happy new year everyone!

The vote ended yesterday, and passed! Thanks all for taking the time to
review.

Here are the stats:

Number of Non-Voters 10
Positive Votes 24
Negative Votes 3
Abstain Votes 0
Voters 27
Total Number of Members 37
Quorum Number 13
Quorum Met Yes
Percentage Voted 73%

List of voters:

+1

Composer
PPI
Contao
ReactPHP
Symfony
Jackalope
Neos
phpBB
Yii
PHPixie
Sculpin
Phing
Pyro
PEAR
Revive Adserver
Slim
Icicle
Joomla
SilverStripe
Zikula
Wikibase
Magento
Concrete5
eZ
PrestaShop (late vote, not counted above, just for reference)

-1

IBMiToolkit
Lithium
Zend Framework

Cheers

Paul Dragoonis

Jan 3, 2017, 5:45:23 AM1/3/17
to php...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Jordi Boggiano <j.bog...@seld.be> wrote:
Happy new year everyone!

The vote ended yesterday, and passed! Thanks all for taking the time to review.

What Jordi said :-)

Upon putting together the initial version of PSR-16, I set up some Docker environments against real backends with implementations & tests for Redis. I will see how I can apply these into a simplecache-utils library so that other may benefit from it too. I'm wanting it to be more of a "checker" for your implementation, so basically you inject your PSR-16 compliant class into it, and it will call the public interface methods on it to check it's behaving as it should.