iOS Localstorage issue when app update is issued

brandon obrien

Mar 31, 2012, 11:21:41 AM3/31/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar issue to mine.  I built and successfully launched an iOS app using PhoneGap 1.4.1.  After a week or so I made some bug fixes and slight graphical changes and issued an update to the App Store.  When the app got approved and people started downloading it, I had many people email me and tell me their localstorage was clearing out every time they closed the app.

In my case, I'm using localstorage to store a username and password that logs them into the app.  When this data clears out each time it forces them to log in every time they open the app which is very frustrating.

I cannot seem to figure out what is causing this issue.  If people delete and then re-install the app it fixes it and it works just fine, but if they do a standard update it seems to cause the issue.

If anyone else has experienced anything like this or has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

I'm using PhoneGap 1.4.1 with jQuery Mobile

relluf

Apr 1, 2012, 7:36:23 AM4/1/12
to phonegap
We are faced with a similar problem, although it has to do with the
Web SQL Database API. We have issued two updates for our app and with
each update our customers were forced to delete and reinstall the app,
as "a normal update" renders the app useless. After the update, an
exception occurs while opening the database through the Web SQL
Database API.

Ralph

Justin Harrison

Apr 1, 2012, 10:57:33 PM4/1/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com

Bug in iOS 5.1. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-347 for workaround.

For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com

Pete

Apr 2, 2012, 3:41:03 AM4/2/12
to phonegap
I got lots of users complaining about this. I read the report and
please tell me if I understand this correctly:

a) A user who installed my app while running <iOS5.1, then upgrades to
iOS 5.1, then upgrades my app, runs into the localstorage issue, and
does not see any error message.

b) A user who installs my app for the first time while running iOS
5.1, then upgrades my app, does NOT run into that problem ?

c) Is it correct to tell the user to do a fresh install of my app from
iTunes will fix the localstorage problem ?

thanks

On Apr 1, 7:57 pm, Justin Harrison <Justin.Harri...@microsoft.com>
> I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar issue to mine.  I built and successfully launched an iOS app using PhoneGap 1.4.1.  After a week or so I made some bug fixes and slight graphical changes and issued an update to the App Store.  When the app got approved and people started downloading it, I had many people email me and tell me their localstorage was clearing out every time they closed the app.
>
> In my case, I'm using localstorage to store a username and password that logs them into the app.  When this data clears out each time it forces them to log in every time they open the app which is very frustrating.
>
> I cannot seem to figure out what is causing this issue.  If people delete and then re-install the app it fixes it and it works just fine, but if they do a standard update it seems to cause the issue.
>
> If anyone else has experienced anything like this or has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.
>
> I'm using PhoneGap 1.4.1 with jQuery Mobile
> --
>
> For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go towww.phonegap.com<http://www.phonegap.com>

Luther Goh Lu Feng

Apr 2, 2012, 5:59:49 AM4/2/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
I am also curious as to when PhoneGap 1.6.0 will be released since it will contain the fix.

>________________________________

brandon obrien

Apr 2, 2012, 10:07:38 AM4/2/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Justin,

Thank you for posting this.  This is the exact issue that my users are experiencing.  Being pretty amateur at iOS development (which is why I went with PhoneGap in the first place) I'm not sure how to go about executing the fix proposed in that thread.  Is there a block of code I need to insert into my AppDelegate or MainController to get it to change the storage path in the plist file?

On Sunday, April 1, 2012 8:57:33 PM UTC-6, Justin wrote:

Bug in iOS 5.1. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-347 for workaround.

Justin Harrison

Apr 2, 2012, 11:21:07 AM4/2/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Any user who updates your app while running iOS 5.1 will hit this bug. So this means,

A) User installs your app while running < iOS 5.1, then updates to iOS 5.1, then updates your app

B) User who installs your app for the first time on iOS 5.1, then updates your app

And as you surmise the only workaround for the user (until you publish another update with the workaround) is to do a fresh install..

Justin

thanks

> phonegap+legro ups.com>

> For more options, visit this group
> athttp://groups.google.com/group/phonegap?hl=en?hl=en
>
> For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go
> towww.phonegap.com<http://www.phonegap.com>

Justin Harrison

Apr 2, 2012, 11:19:24 AM4/2/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com

The fix is very easy to apply. Look at the attachments on that bug, one is the source code from Shaz. He included a readme with instructions on how to merge the code into your AppDelegate for both old PhoneGap 0.9.6, and newer versions.

Justin

Thank you for posting this.  This is the exact issue that my users are experiencing.  Being pretty amateur at iOS development (which is why I went with PhoneGap in the first place) I'm not sure how to go about executing the fix proposed in that thread.  Is there a block of code I need to insert into my AppDelegate or MainController to get it to change the storage path in the plist file?

On Sunday, April 1, 2012 8:57:33 PM UTC-6, Justin wrote:

Bug in iOS 5.1. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-347 for workaround.

Phil Mitchell

Apr 2, 2012, 12:50:31 PM4/2/12
to phonegap
Just to avoid confusion, the attachments are on the original bug:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-330 not the one mentioned in
this thread.

On Apr 2, 8:19 am, Justin Harrison <Justin.Harri...@microsoft.com>
wrote:
> The fix is very easy to apply. Look at the attachments on that bug, one is the source code from Shaz. He included a readme with instructions on how to merge the code into your AppDelegate for both old PhoneGap 0.9.6, and newer versions.
>
> Justin

Justin Harrison

Apr 2, 2012, 5:43:26 PM4/2/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Oops, apologies for the confusion, you are right, the fixes are on CB-330.

> For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go
> towww.phonegap.com<http://www.phonegap.com>
> --

> phonegap+legro ups.com>

> For more options, visit this group
> athttp://groups.google.com/group/phonegap?hl=en?hl=en
>
> For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go
> towww.phonegap.com<http://www.phonegap.com>

Pete

Apr 2, 2012, 7:21:07 PM4/2/12
to phonegap
I wish I had known about this issue a week ago.
My latest app release came out March 28 and now I am flooded with
emails and bad reviews, this sucks

We need something that screams at us when a major issue like this is
happening, maybe something like CRITICAL topic here on this board or a
dedicated page on phonegap.com

On Apr 2, 2:43 pm, Justin Harrison <Justin.Harri...@microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Oops, apologies for the confusion, you are right, the fixes are on CB-330.

Shazron

Apr 2, 2012, 7:30:33 PM4/2/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Pete - will do next time, this hit us hard by surprise since it
was hard to figure out what was going on in the first place, but now
it's an Apple confirmed bug in iOS 5.1. The "fix" is mainly a
workaround - it is unknown at this point of course if Apple's fix for
their bug (5.2? 5.3?) will unravel this workaround, or introduce new
ones.

Horst

Apr 3, 2012, 1:15:14 PM4/3/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hello Pete,

I can confirm. All my users have lost their data, too. But i have hacked my ad system to show a warning message. And i had a fallback, because i used UDID for security reasons. So i was able to bring lost data back to users. This was many hours additional work, but in result i got lot 5 star ratings and many donations.

Funny, that UDID has saved my ass and now the next update will cause again a problem. When i cant use it, the users can't access their data.

I love the mobile world... ;-)

best regards
Horst

Pete

Apr 4, 2012, 5:33:51 AM4/4/12
to phonegap
that's a good idea, I posted a message to the user discussion board,
but I should post my warning instead of ads
what a mess
> > <http://towww.phonegap.com>

Pete

Apr 7, 2012, 8:59:25 PM4/7/12
to phonegap
Shazron
just downloaded your attachment files.
Is this Readme still correct https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12519748/README.txt
I see lots of messages dating after the README with other possible
instructions.
thanks

On Apr 2, 4:30 pm, Shazron <shaz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Pete - will do next time, this hit us hard by surprise since it
> was hard to figure out what was going on in the first place, but now
> it's an Apple confirmed bug in iOS 5.1. The "fix" is mainly a
> workaround - it is unknown at this point of course if Apple's fix for
> their bug (5.2? 5.3?) will unravel this workaround, or introduce new
> ones.
>

> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Pete <helpv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I wish I had known about this issue a week ago.
> > My latest app release came out March 28 and now I am flooded with
> > emails and bad reviews, this sucks
>
> > We need something that screams at us when a major issue like this is
> > happening, maybe something like CRITICAL topic here on this board or a
> > dedicated page on phonegap.com
>
> > On Apr 2, 2:43 pm, Justin Harrison <Justin.Harri...@microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> >> Oops, apologies for the confusion, you are right, the fixes are onCB-330.

Shazron Abdullah

Apr 7, 2012, 9:04:45 PM4/7/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
It should - that Readme is the latest. Post any problems.

Pete

Apr 7, 2012, 9:11:18 PM4/7/12
to phonegap
Ok, just ran my app with the fix and my app didn't crash, but I see
this error in the log, any ideas ?

Fix applied for database locations?: YES
-[AppDelegate webViewDidStartLoad:]: unrecognized selector sent to
instance 0x851f320
*** WebKit discarded an uncaught exception in the
webView:didStartProvisionalLoadForFrame: delegate:
<NSInvalidArgumentException> -[AppDelegate webViewDidStartLoad:]:

On Apr 7, 6:04 pm, Shazron Abdullah <shaz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It should - that Readme is the latest. Post any problems.
>

> On Saturday, 7 April, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Pete wrote:
> > Shazron
> > just downloaded your attachment files.
> > Is this Readme still correcthttps://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12519748/README.txt

Pete

Apr 9, 2012, 3:14:50 PM4/9/12
to phonegap
Hi Guys
can someone please help me with the error I am getting after applying
the CB-330 patch ( I followed the Readme ):

> Fix applied for database locations?: YES
> -[AppDelegate webViewDidStartLoad:]: unrecognized selector sent to
> instance 0x851f320
> *** WebKit discarded an uncaught exception in the
> webView:didStartProvisionalLoadForFrame: delegate:
> <NSInvalidArgumentException> -[AppDelegate webViewDidStartLoad:]:
> unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x851f320

Pete

Apr 9, 2012, 8:13:34 PM4/9/12
to phonegap
Everyone who applied this patch:
If you app is live with it, please post if it worked or not for you.
Since this is such a major issue, would be great to be sure its fixed
with that workaround.

Thanks Shazron for coming up with the fix.

brandon obrien

Apr 9, 2012, 11:47:31 PM4/9/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
My update that included this fix was approved today.  I haven't heard anything one way or another yet so I'm going to assume it's working.  Last time I updated (previous to this fix) I was getting a few emails a day about the localstorage issue.

brandon obrien

Apr 11, 2012, 10:02:49 AM4/11/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
I just wanted to say that this fix seemingly worked for my update that was approved by the app store on April 9, 2012.  Users who were experiencing the localstorage issue are no longer experiencing it using the update described in this thread.

Jeff Schwartz

Apr 12, 2012, 6:25:20 PM4/12/12
to phonegap
The readme file only specifies instructions for cordova version 1.5.
I'm on the newly released cordova 1.6 using a sencha touch 2
application.

On Apr 11, 10:02 am, brandon obrien <brandon.s.obr...@gmail.com>

Shazron

Apr 12, 2012, 6:27:48 PM4/12/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
cordova 1.6 does not need this patch, it's built in