Waypoint navigation testing

peabody124

Apr 15, 2013, 12:57:54 PM4/15/13
to phoeni...@googlegroups.com

So there was a stiller day yesterday so I had the chance to test waypoint navigation a bit better.

https://vimeo.com/64079883

The flight plan is to fly a 10m box.  Full disclosure: I had throttle control in this in case anything went wrong.  From the video it seems like the quad was overtuned and thus kept overshooting at the 90 degree corners.  This is actually partly just a bad flight plan for a quad - a 90 degree turn at constant velocity is physically impossible so I should redo it with rounded corners.  However, the overo logging makes it really nice to see what happened, and clearly it is underdamped as it's oscillating pretty heavily around the desired path.

Still, reproducible and fixable limitations so I consider that a pretty successful test.

metRo_

Apr 16, 2013, 6:16:17 AM4/16/13
to phoeni...@googlegroups.com
This is awesome :) I'm waiting to get the F3 shield to start testing and learn about it:)

Stefan Cenkov

Apr 18, 2013, 8:41:07 AM4/18/13
to phoeni...@googlegroups.com
Today I tried to fly to WP 10m Box and looks good, I have noticed a difference of 1 m from WP2 to WP3, but I need to try some more.
 I'm use "james/development' branch.

@ peabody124 is normal WP0 that always gets in 0,0,0?

metRo_

Apr 18, 2013, 9:20:03 AM4/18/13
to phoeni...@googlegroups.com
That looks great:)
Can you share your quad setup?

peabody124

Apr 18, 2013, 9:39:48 AM4/18/13
to phoeni...@googlegroups.com
Wow, awesome.  Was that simulation or real flying?  It the later you got me beat!

WP0 should be (0,0,-10) not (0,0,)

Roberto Navoni

Apr 18, 2013, 10:52:22 AM4/18/13
to peabody124, phoeni...@googlegroups.com
Great Work Stefan :)
@ peabody124
what need for accept Stefan pull request  ?
There are some VRBRAIN user that use windows that wait official revision of Ground Station that would join to doing beta testing .
Now working only on Arducopter32 but could be work also on Taulab
Best
Roberto

2013/4/18 peabody124 <peabo...@gmail.com>
Wow, awesome.  Was that simulation or real flying?  It the later you got me beat!

WP0 should be (0,0,-10) not (0,0,)

peabody124

Apr 18, 2013, 11:18:52 AM4/18/13
to phoeni...@googlegroups.com, peabody124
I posted some comments in the PR previously https://github.com/TauLabs/TauLabs/pull/416 about refactoring out a few of the components.  I haven't seen follow up on that.

Stefan Cenkov

Apr 18, 2013, 11:34:30 AM4/18/13
to phoeni...@googlegroups.com

@ peabody124 this is real flight, the Waypoint instance(0) is 0,0,-10 , I'm wondering about WP editor. Read WP's I get 0,0,0 for WP1,
also if you change altitude and saving, reading always gives altitude 0.

hexa_3.uav
TauLabs-2013-04-18_11-22-33.tll

peabody124

Apr 18, 2013, 11:44:06 AM4/18/13
to phoeni...@googlegroups.com
Wow, then congrats on a really clean flight!  I'll have to look into your settings.  I need to look at that waypoint editor issue - looks like a bug.

I also found yesterday over RF telemetry that uploading waypoints wasn't reliable - which was odd because I'd made it reliable in the past.

peabody124

Jan 14, 2014, 9:57:08 PM1/14/14
to phoeni...@googlegroups.com
Little bit more testing https://vimeo.com/84184234

Reddog

Jan 14, 2014, 11:07:02 PM1/14/14
to phoeni...@googlegroups.com
Is this for Multirotor or Fixed Wing?

BTW: Fantastic video!

Reddog

Jan 14, 2014, 11:10:38 PM1/14/14
to phoeni...@googlegroups.com
What units are the altitude and velocity figures you changed, measured in?

peabody124

Jan 15, 2014, 12:58:58 AM1/15/14
to phoeni...@googlegroups.com
This was testing with multirotor. I think the fixed wing code probably still works and it did last time I simulated it. However, it has been a while since anyone has flown it practically so ...

The velocity is m/s between the waypoints. I actually thought there was a bug because my first test I had that at 0 m/s and it seemed to be in position hold :)

The altitude is a bit odd and I want to modify it. There is altitude (higher is positive) and relative down (further column to the right). I need to dig into the code because they weren't identical and were off by .2 meters. It's been forever since I worked on the waypoint editor so I don't recall.

peabody124

Jan 20, 2014, 3:44:05 PM1/20/14
to phoeni...@googlegroups.com
More testing with a more complicated path: http://buildandcrash.blogspot.com/2014/01/navigation-testing-and-post-crash.html and a pretty amusing crash with an important lesson.

Do NOT fly waypoints with the throttle in the low position.

José Eduardo S. C. Xavier

Jan 20, 2014, 7:37:11 PM1/20/14
to peabody124, phoeni...@googlegroups.com
the weather here is not so good but I hope to be able to fly the quad in a few days and really want to test again PH and AH to try to get good results. Is f3 able to do waypoint navigation?

peabody124

Jan 20, 2014, 10:02:55 PM1/20/14
to phoeni...@googlegroups.com, peabody124
Well this is some testing on Sparky (F3) I did https://vimeo.com/84639710 but I dont' think it will do waypoints. There is a lot of memory that isn't efficiently allocated amongst the tasks so it might still be possible...
Message has been deleted

VArcht

Jan 20, 2014, 10:44:53 PM1/20/14
to phoeni...@googlegroups.com
Really hope you can get waypoints running on Sparky, just got mine flying this weekend and really looking forward to autonomous flight :)

peabody124

Jan 20, 2014, 11:05:33 PM1/20/14
to phoeni...@googlegroups.com
Your timing for that question was perfect. I was just tweaking things while working on https://github.com/TauLabs/TauLabs/issues/1071 . Since I already had settings adjusted I checked and it is possible to run GPS, Path Follower and Path Planner on Sparky. Now you probably won't be able to run lots of extra goodies like mavlink etc.

However, my first priority is to get https://github.com/TauLabs/TauLabs/pull/1054 merged and get people doing simple PH and RTH reproducibly and reliably.

VArcht

Jan 21, 2014, 12:30:38 AM1/21/14
to phoeni...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good, better I get acquainted with ph and rth first too. I see next is building for Win32 again so I'll update and see how it goes.