PhantomJS 1.9.x, PhantomJS 2, GhostDriver 1.1.0: how do we do this?

Ivan De Marino

Jan 4, 2014, 7:52:15 AM1/4/14
to phan...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

given that PhantomJS 2 is still been worked on (and I swear - I hope we take our sweet time on it, no rush!), and I got quite few people asking for an updated WebDriver support in PhantomJS, I was wondering if there is a plan for a 1.9.x release.
I'm wrapping up a GhostDriver release 1.1.0, and will probably do an import PR against latest PhantomJS/master soon.

Opinions? Plans? Thoughts?

Ivan De Marino

Jan 4, 2014, 12:44:06 PM1/4/14
to phan...@googlegroups.com
I have just filed a PR, in case someone wants to test themselves.

I could merge myself, but I'd prefer at least a quick check by someone that isn't me :)

Vitaliy Slobodin

Jan 4, 2014, 1:12:27 PM1/4/14
to phan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ivan,

Nice to see the next release of GhostDriver!
I vote for the next minor version of PhantomJS - 1.9.3 with GhostDriver 1.1.0.
We are too far from a stable version of PhantomJS 2. And current master tree contains some important bug fixes.

Regards,
Vitaly.

James Greene

Jan 4, 2014, 1:13:53 PM1/4/14
to phan...@googlegroups.com

I concur with Vitaliy.

Sincerely,
    James Greene
    Sent from my [smart?]phone

Ivan De Marino

Jan 4, 2014, 1:15:23 PM1/4/14
to phan...@googlegroups.com
I agree too.

If you would like to test it out and make sure I don't cause regressions, that would be awesome :)

Ariya Hidayat

Jan 9, 2014, 8:50:14 PM1/9/14
to phan...@googlegroups.com
Consider that 2.x is still far away, I think we can make an exception
and bring GhostDriver 1.1 into 1.9.x.

I have two OS X fixes in 1.9 branch. How about tagging it as 1.9.3 as
is for now (regardless whether we want to build a binary or not)?
After that, I can cherry-pick GhostDriver 1.1 import from master to
1.9 branch and we can call it version 1.9.4 (or even 1.9.7, just to
signify a "bumpier" release) with the intention to release the
binaries.

Comments?
--
Ariya Hidayat, http://ariya.ofilabs.com
http://twitter.com/ariyahidayat

James Greene

Jan 9, 2014, 10:24:58 PM1/9/14
to phan...@googlegroups.com

+1 for a 1.9.3 and 1.9.4 pair.

If we want a "bumpier" version number, I'd say go to 1.10 to keep it legit semver.

Sincerely,
    James Greene
    Sent from my [smart?]phone

Ivan De Marino

Jan 12, 2014, 12:05:11 PM1/12/14
to phan...@googlegroups.com
Update on this: I plan to do a 1.1.1 to support multi-session in GhostDriver, using the new CookieJar API.

Given Ariya hasn't tagged yet 1.9.3 or 1.9.4, what's the timeline (even is just estimated) for next PhantomJS tagging?

Ivan De Marino

Jan 12, 2014, 3:54:24 PM1/12/14
to phan...@googlegroups.com
1.1.1 of GhostDriver is ready to go: https://github.com/detro/ghostdriver/releases/tag/1.1.1

I'll file a PR.

Ivan De Marino

Jan 12, 2014, 4:14:48 PM1/12/14
to phan...@googlegroups.com

Ariya Hidayat

Jan 18, 2014, 11:42:25 PM1/18/14
to phan...@googlegroups.com
Tracking bugs for the forthcoming

1.9.3 release: https://github.com/ariya/phantomjs/issues/11904
1.9.6 release: https://github.com/ariya/phantomjs/issues/11905

Thanks!

Ariya Hidayat

Jan 21, 2014, 11:03:41 AM1/21/14
to phan...@googlegroups.com
It seems that GhostDriver 1.1 requires a new feature, the CookieJar
module. Since I only cherry-picked GhostDriver 1.1 into 1.9 branch and
not the CookieJar module, now I believe 1.9.6's WebDriver is broken.
Let me know if this quick analysis is wrong!

For the solution, I'm thinking of an immediate 1.9.7 release where
GhostDriver 1.0 is back (reverting 1.1 import).

Of course it's also possible to import CookieJar module but now we're
crossing the line and start to introduce too much instability into a
simple patch release. In hindsight, we should probably not mess around
with a dot release like this and leave bleeding-edge stuff in the
master branch. The impatients can either build everything themselves
(only 30 minutes at most) OR wait for 2.0 technical preview.

Comments? Feedback?

Anand Chhatpar

Jan 23, 2014, 11:08:03 AM1/23/14
to phan...@googlegroups.com
Yes, webdriver is definitely broken in 1.9.6 and I'm getting "Error - Cannot find module 'cookiejar'" when launching phantomjs with --webdriver.

Is there a fix being released soon? That would help.

Otherwise, I'd love to know how to workaround this problem and use phantomjs in webdriver mode.

Thank you!
Regards,

- Anand

Ariya Hidayat

Jan 23, 2014, 11:10:02 AM1/23/14

Monitor https://github.com/ariya/phantomjs/issues/11915.

> Otherwise, I'd love to know how to workaround this problem and use phantomjs
> in webdriver mode.

Let me play Captain Obvious: use the previous release.

Anand Chhatpar

Jan 23, 2014, 12:51:34 PM1/23/14
to phan...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Ariya!

The webdriver in release 1.9.2 available from:
https://code.google.com/p/phantomjs/downloads/list
... works!

Regards,

- Anand

Ivan De Marino

Jan 26, 2014, 2:39:05 PM1/26/14
to phan...@googlegroups.com
With that you can use GhostDriver 1.1.0 as a script. Only GhostDriver 1.1.1 depends on PhantomJS master.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "phantomjs" group.

Ivan De Marino
Coder, Technologist, Cook, Italian

blog.ivandemarino.me | www.linkedin.com/in/ivandemarino | twitter.com/detronizator