[Announcement] Stepping down as maintainer

Vitaly Slobodin

Apr 13, 2017, 5:14:37 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs, Ariya Hidayat, James Greene, Ivan De Marino
Hi,

I want to make an announcement.

I think people will switch to it, eventually. Chrome is faster and more stable than PhantomJS. And it doesn't eat memory like crazy.

I don't see any future in developing PhantomJS. Developing PhantomJS 2 and 2.5 as a single developer is a bloody hell.
Even with recently released 2.5 Beta version with new and shiny QtWebKit, I can't physically support all 3 platforms at once (I even bought the Mac for that!). We have no support.
From now, I am stepping down as maintainer. If someone wants to continue - feel free to reach me.

I want to give credits to Ariya, James and Ivan! It was the pleasure to work with you. Cheers!
I also want to say thanks to all people who supported and tried to help us. Thank you!

With regards,
Vitaly.

Nikolai Longolius

Apr 13, 2017, 6:24:49 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Hey Vitaly,

thank you for your awesome work!

Best,
Nikolai

Yuren Ju

Apr 13, 2017, 6:42:55 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Hi Vitaly,

I just wanna say thank you.
PhantomJS is a project I use it everyday for headless js testing, It is awesome!!

- Yuren

Vitaly Slobodin於 2017年4月13日星期四 UTC+8下午5時14分37秒寫道:

John Hunt

Apr 13, 2017, 7:07:14 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Vitaly,

Thank you for an awesome tool! I've not been using it long but it's fantastic. Thank you for all your hard work. It does indeed make sense to step down with headless Chrome.

Cheers, and all the best,
John.

carlo.d...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2017, 7:11:46 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Chrome is fast and fairly good with memory because it's busy hogging your CPU 😋 I have used Phantom on so many projects over the years. It's a solid, useful tool. Thanks for all of your work!

Dmitriy Budnik

Apr 13, 2017, 7:17:11 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs
Спасибо, Виталий!

Gerson Felipe Schwinn

Apr 13, 2017, 7:24:41 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Vitaly,

Thanks for the great work done on this project. PhantonJS has been and continues to be very important in my work. It's a fantastic tool!

Sai Gudigundla

Apr 13, 2017, 8:13:26 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Vitaly,

Thanks for the awesome work on PhantomJS.

Valentin Demeusy

Apr 13, 2017, 8:17:05 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
PhantomJS was a great solution to one of the problems I had to deal with in the past. Thank you for your amazing work, I hope your next projects will be as amazing.

Kris Meister

Apr 13, 2017, 8:21:42 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs
Thanks for the work. You're a Celebrity.
I joined google groups just to say that.

matt.jere...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2017, 8:37:13 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Thank you so much for all your hard work!  Phantomjs was a game-changer for me when it comes to testing.

Michael Camden

Apr 13, 2017, 8:44:08 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs
Vitaly,

Thanks for all of your hard work over the years. I've been using PhantomJS for headless testing for some time now, it is an amazing tool.

Best of luck in all your endeavors.

em...@genesis.re

Apr 13, 2017, 9:02:01 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com

If I was to guess, the total value of the companies using WWW, JavaScript, testing automation and PhantomJS = as high as it gets, pretty much every company on this planet.

Come and visit us in Wales - we have a chapel that we convert into environment to faciliate #flowstate and #peakperformance

PS. https://github.com/ariya/phantomjs/graphs/contributors  8,826,054 ++ / 11,769,536 -- (that's a lot of code)

Justin Coyne

Apr 13, 2017, 9:02:37 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Thank you so much for your work Vitaly.  PhantomJS has been instrumental in improving our code quality.  👏

-Justin

Saroj Maharjan

Apr 13, 2017, 9:03:01 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Thank you for the awesome work on PhantomJS !!
Message has been deleted

James Van Dyke

Apr 13, 2017, 9:32:43 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Thank you so much for your awesome project. I'm sure it will live on in some form, but it has been a huge help for me ever since switching from Rhino years ago when Phantom was in beta. Your hard work has made the rest of our lives easier and improved the products and services we've worked on. Thanks again.

Be well,
James

zeph....@cloverhealth.com

Apr 13, 2017, 10:00:09 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs
Vitaly & Team - It's been a few years since I used PhantomJS, but I've always been impressed with what you accomplished.

I want to say *thank you* for creating such a valuable, innovative library - your work filled an important need in our industry, and led the way for many amazing improvements in front-end test automation.

Thank you for your hard work!

I'm glad you get to spend time on other endeavors - I hope you find your next projects fulfilling, and I hope you don't have to toil heroically alone in the future.

Cheers,
Zeph

Carlos Ravelo

Apr 13, 2017, 10:04:36 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Vitaly, Thank you so much for all your work on phantomJS, I've used it a lot in several projects.

Matt Belisle

Apr 13, 2017, 10:19:05 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs
Thanks so much for your work Vitaly. What you've done over the years is truly appreciated.

On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 5:14:37 AM UTC-4, Vitaly Slobodin wrote:
Message has been deleted

Joilson Cisne

Apr 13, 2017, 10:31:26 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Hi Vitaly,

I just want to say thank you for your good work on Phantom.

Best,
Joilson

Heiko Mamerow

Apr 13, 2017, 10:42:56 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Just want to say: DANKE !!! :-)

Peter Bray

Apr 13, 2017, 10:46:05 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com

Thanks Vitaly! Definitely agree with you that Phantom is going the way of the dodo given it's basically just you. It would have been great if Ariya or others could have helped you shepherd this project to continuing success given the huge investment many have made in this project, including you. It's sad to see such a vital project wither on the vine without better strategic guidance and contributor motivation.

adama...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2017, 10:56:04 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Vitaly,

thank you for your immense contribution to the open source community and development world.

were it not for phantomjs I would have not gotten as competent and comfortable working with javascript learning to automate the web with it.

thank you,

--Adam

tinny w

Apr 13, 2017, 11:39:51 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
This project is awesome and saved me tons of headache at work.  Thanks so much for all of your hard work!

Lars Karlsson

Apr 13, 2017, 11:55:44 AM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Hi Vitaly,

Many thanks for your effort. PhantomJS have served me will in my personal work and at corporate.

Much appreciated,
Lars

Arman Mkrtchyan

Apr 13, 2017, 12:23:47 PM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Hi Vitaly,

Thanks for awesome work done.
Phantomjs is a great tool, giving solutions for many problems.
You have been part of this, and it is fantastic.
Thank you again.

Arman Mkrtchyan.
Vmware

Michael El-Jiz

Apr 13, 2017, 12:42:39 PM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Thank you!

Craig Waterman

Apr 13, 2017, 12:50:09 PM4/13/17
to phantomjs
Thanks for all your hard work Vitaly, you're one of the unsung heroes of the development community at large.

All the best,
-Craig

Shobhit Jain

Apr 13, 2017, 1:27:52 PM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Hi Vitaly.

PhantomJS is an amazing piece of software and i have been using it since many years in small and very large projects and i just love it.
I would like to thank you for awesome work and keep innovating these kind of softwares.

Vivin Paliath

Apr 13, 2017, 1:33:36 PM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Thank you for this great product. I can't count the number of times it has helped me out! Thank you for your amazing work!
Message has been deleted

Sheridon Ali

Apr 13, 2017, 1:59:14 PM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Thank you for all the effort and hard work you and others put into PhantomJS.

cil...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2017, 2:01:28 PM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Thank you for your time spent working on this useful tool and best of luck in future endeavors.

Karim Ratib

Apr 13, 2017, 2:01:54 PM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Thank you for this very useful tool. It took Google many years to catch up :-)

Jules C

Apr 13, 2017, 3:01:26 PM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
big thanks for all your work on phantomjs - it is an excellent, incredibly useful development and production tool.  good luck on your future projects!

~j

TonyQ Wang

Apr 13, 2017, 3:12:38 PM4/13/17
to phantomjs

Just want to say thank you for the best headless browser, it really save my life for million times. Really appreciate for your work.

TonyQ

jordan addison

Apr 13, 2017, 3:33:51 PM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Thank you for the awesome work Vitaly!!!! we use it every day!

Rabea AbdelWahab

Apr 13, 2017, 3:38:16 PM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Awesome work, and a very nice tool that we use everyday also, thank you for all the nice work.

Paul Smith

Apr 13, 2017, 3:47:14 PM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Thank you so much for all your work. You've provided a wonderful tool over these years. Congrats on building and maintaining something so useful for so long! Good luck with whatever you decide to tackle next.

Rahul Bali

Apr 13, 2017, 3:51:07 PM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Hello Vitaly,

I am an avid user of PhantomJS. I love working with this. Thank you for making such an awesome tool. Good Luck. Phantom.

Regards,
Rahul Bali

Philip Blyth

Apr 13, 2017, 4:35:06 PM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
I can't imagine the past years in JS without it... Thank you for all the hard work, and I wish I had contributed...!!

Michael King

Apr 13, 2017, 4:59:36 PM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Thanks for making an amazing library. I've gotten a ton of value out of it over the years.

-Mike

Rick B

Apr 13, 2017, 5:27:32 PM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Everyone stands on the shoulders of others in the open source community, often for quiet thanks (if at all).

THANK YOU for helping us get over some hurdles!

Walter Zheng

Apr 13, 2017, 9:03:41 PM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
thank you for your awesome work!

Fred Chu

Apr 13, 2017, 9:54:24 PM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Just wanna say thank you, our team use PhantomJS every day in our CI test, and it saved us so many times. Thank you for your awesome work.

Walter Zheng於 2017年4月14日星期五 UTC+8上午9時03分41秒寫道:

Afiq Hamid

Apr 13, 2017, 10:49:28 PM4/13/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com

Gentlemen, it was a pleasure to have haunted the interwebs with you all. Despite my newness to the whole endeavour PhantomJS was my truly powerful programming tool that I ever had to come to grips with.

Cheers and Happy Web Scraping.

​Gandharv Kumar

Apr 14, 2017, 1:48:13 AM4/14/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Hey Vitaly,

Thank you for your amazing work!!

Todd Morrison

Apr 14, 2017, 7:26:05 AM4/14/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
You have made such a large impact to the global code community.
Please rest well in the peace that these little, accessible steps you took widen out to so many.

Sebastian Meier

Apr 14, 2017, 9:54:42 AM4/14/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Thanks a lot to you and your colleagues for all the work. I have used PhantomJS in many of my research and arts projects.
Great job!

Ariya Hidayat

Apr 14, 2017, 1:21:27 PM4/14/17
to Vitaly Slobodin, phantomjs, James Greene, Ivan De Marino

Vitaly, thank you so much for your enormous and extremely valuable contribution to PhantomJS! It will be forever remembered as an incredible chapter in history of PhantomJS (and perhaps even FOSS project in general).

All the best to whatever you're planning for your next adventure!

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 2:14 AM, Vitaly Slobodin <vitaliy....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I want to make an announcement.

I think people will switch to it, eventually. Chrome is faster and more stable than PhantomJS. And it doesn't eat memory like crazy.

I don't see any future in developing PhantomJS. Developing PhantomJS 2 and 2.5 as a single developer is a bloody hell.
Even with recently released 2.5 Beta version with new and shiny QtWebKit, I can't physically support all 3 platforms at once (I even bought the Mac for that!). We have no support.
From now, I am stepping down as maintainer. If someone wants to continue - feel free to reach me.

--
Ariya Hidayat, https://ariya.io

Sujeet Pillai

Apr 16, 2017, 1:12:40 AM4/16/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Thank you for your efforts! PhantomJS was a boon when I found it. Solved so many issues.

Masahiro Minami

Apr 16, 2017, 7:24:20 PM4/16/17
to phan...@googlegroups.com, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
hi, just to join others to say thank you, with phantomjs we could manage our project for years.

thank you indeed!

iPhoneから送信

陳建辰

Apr 17, 2017, 2:39:43 AM4/17/17
to phantomjs
Thanks for creating this awesome thing, used a lot for test usage <(_  _)>

Masahiro Minami於 2017年4月17日星期一 UTC+8上午7時24分20秒寫道:

p.g....@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2017, 5:38:55 AM4/19/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Thanks for the great work on PhantomJs and good luck with your next project!

Aflext Yang

Apr 24, 2017, 11:26:36 PM4/24/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Thanks a lot for ur wrok!

Emidio Stani

May 2, 2017, 4:26:39 AM5/2/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Thanks a lot for your work !

I have been using PhantomJS to test quickly my web applications and it is super easy.

Good luck with the rest !

Emidio

Kota Ouchi

May 3, 2017, 3:55:34 AM5/3/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Hey Vitaly,

I just want to say thank you for such a great work!!
Your work helped my life.

Best,
Kota

2017年4月13日木曜日 18時14分37秒 UTC+9 Vitaly Slobodin:

张驰清

May 3, 2017, 1:20:36 PM5/3/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Thank you so much for the great work!

long nguyen

May 4, 2017, 5:31:00 AM5/4/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
PhantomJs is great! Thank you so much!

RIP phantom.

Vijayanand Nandam

May 6, 2017, 10:18:57 AM5/6/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Hi Vitaly,
Thank You for maintaining this awesome tool till now.

Joseph Orbegoso Pea

May 11, 2017, 1:34:18 PM5/11/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
But what about the JavaScript API? Chrome headless is just Chrome headless right? Maybe PhantomJS can simply be the JavaScript API (the most used parts) on top of Chrome headless). That would be much easier to maintain.

Ain Tohvri

May 30, 2017, 4:05:25 AM5/30/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Thanks Vitaly for your great work. I've used PhantomJS in so many projects, and still am. My test-driven stack would have never been that seamless wtihout it.

Thanks again,
Ain

Micheal Gardner

May 31, 2017, 3:47:34 AM5/31/17
to phantomjs
Thank You For your great Work

Martin Madsen

Jun 23, 2017, 12:01:41 PM6/23/17
to phantomjs
Thank you for spending years of your time building a great tool!

Kind Regards,
Martin Madsen

https://github.com/merlinthemagic/MTS

Meng Yang

Aug 5, 2017, 5:06:16 PM8/5/17
to phantomjs, ariya....@gmail.com, james.m...@gmail.com, detron...@gmail.com
Hi Vitaly,

I have been using phantomjs for about 2 years, it helped a lot in multiple projects. You are a worthy hero, thank you so much for your great work.

It's reasonable to draw back from my perspective as I'm switching to chrome headless mode actually, but your work and your generosity will be remembered.

I join this group only in the purpose to say a sincere "Thank you man!"

杨猛

Trần Đức Tâm

Dec 11, 2017, 7:29:06 PM12/11/17
to phantomjs
Hi Vitaly,

I just wanna say thank you. I so surprised that you make this project for free. That's so crazy for me now.

Vào 19:42:55 UTC+9 Thứ Năm, ngày 13 tháng 4 năm 2017, Yuren Ju đã viết:
Hi Vitaly,

I just wanna say thank you.
PhantomJS is a project I use it everyday for headless js testing, It is awesome!!

- Yuren

Vitaly Slobodin於 2017年4月13日星期四 UTC+8下午5時14分37秒寫道:

Kavi Subbu

May 31, 2018, 5:54:28 AM5/31/18
to phantomjs
Hi Vitaly,

I want to generate PDF of my HTML file using Java with the help of Phantom JS.  Kindly provide me some solution.

Regards
  • Kavitha

sanjay jaiswal

Jun 1, 2018, 1:08:11 AM6/1/18