Re: Verify the consistency of Restored backup from XTRABACKUP

Ankit

Mar 21, 2013, 5:57:14 AM3/21/13
to percona-d...@googlegroups.com
I got through this one, here is what I did.

On our Staging environment, On a morning, I took a Full Hot Backup using XTRABACKUP then at night took a incremental backup.

Next I took a Cold Backup of Staging DB and restored it on another server lets say Server A.

I merged the Full and Incremental backup and restored it on a different server, Server B

Now I established a Master-Slave Replication with Server A as Master and Serve B as Slave and validated the data consistency using pt-table-checksum

On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:07:41 PM UTC+5:30, Ankit wrote:
Hi,

How can we verify that backup restored by XTRABACKUP has successfully restored the correct data and has not skipped/missed some data i.e. How can I be sure that restored backup is a 100% mirror copy of the original DB which was backed up ?

Regards,
Ankit

Alexey Kopytov

Mar 21, 2013, 7:19:54 AM3/21/13
to percona-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ankit,

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 02:57:14 -0700 (PDT), Ankit wrote:
> I got through this one, here is what I did.
>
> On our Staging environment, On a morning, I took a Full Hot Backup using
> XTRABACKUP then at night took a incremental backup.
>
> Next I took a Cold Backup of Staging DB and restored it on another server
> lets say Server A.
>
> I merged the Full and Incremental backup and restored it on a different
> server, Server B
>
> Now I established a Master-Slave Replication with Server A as Master and
> Serve B as Slave and validated the data consistency using pt-table-checksum

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I have created a bug report to
describe this verification approach in the XtraBackup manual:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/percona-xtrabackup/+bug/1158243

Best regards,
Alexey.