pt-table-checksum for selective slaves

Abhijit Buchake

May 4, 2012, 8:00:30 AM5/4/12
to percona-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Team,

I have installed Percona Toolkit for using pt-table-checksum utility. We have a master and 4 slaves. 'pt-table-checksum' utility when executed on master checks on all slaves for discrepancies.
My requirement is to checksum selective slave (as and when free) and not all slaves at a time.

After going through the documentation, I found that this can be achieved using --recursion-method=dsn option. Hence, I created a table 'dsns' in 'some_database' as per the documentation.
I entered the host name that I wanted to check in 'dsns' table like 'h=10.10.12.21' (i.e., Slave).
Then I tried the following command:
shell]# pt-table-checksum --lock-wait-time=50 --nocheck-replication-filters --replicate-check --recursion-method=dsn=D=some_database,t=dsns --user=username --password=password --databases=some_database --tables=some_table
But the above command executes check on all 4 slaves.

If I execute command with h=10.10.12.21 on command line, it executes considering given server as Master server which is not the case.

Please suggest the correct method for checksuming selective slaves out of four.

Thanks in advance.

Bryan O'Neal

May 5, 2012, 8:49:23 AM5/5/12
to percona-d...@googlegroups.com

I too would very much like a way to exclude certain slaves but have not had time to look at the code. For many of my applications I have masters of rather marginal power and dozens of slaves around the world. I quite frequently want to check certain slaves during their regional off hours - not all slaved at once.

Baron Schwartz

May 8, 2012, 2:37:31 PM5/8/12
to percona-d...@googlegroups.com
It is possible to make the tool examine the results of the checksum queries on only some servers. But the tool cannot influence which servers execute the checksum queries. That is controlled by replication, not the tool.

Chief Performance Architect at Percona <http://www.percona.com/>
+1 (888) 401-3401 x507
Calendar: <https://tungle.me/percona_baron>
Percona Live New York, Oct 1-2 <http://www.percona.com/live>