Lord Carrington Dead

marquess

Jul 10, 2018, 9:49:25 AM7/10/18
to Peerage News

Richard R

Jul 10, 2018, 10:11:16 AM7/10/18
to Peerage News
Very sad although a good age. I met him a few times. A perfect and polite gent, wore his honours and kinship to The QUEEN very lightly. His son and successor will be 70 in Dec and the new apparent (and only) heir is the latter's son Hon Robert CARINGTON (b 1990), who is unmarried.

marquess

Jul 10, 2018, 10:36:12 AM7/10/18
to Peerage News
On Tuesday, 10 July 2018 20:49:25 UTC+7, marquess wrote:
> https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/lord-carrington-dead-peter-foreign-secretary-falklands-conservative-cabinet-churchill-thatcher-nato-a8440151.html

70, that must be one of the oldest heirs to succeed to peerage in terms of father to son?

hopewell

Jul 10, 2018, 2:01:23 PM7/10/18
to Peerage News

On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 10:11:16 AM UTC-4, Richard R wrote:
Very sad although a good age. I met him a few times. A perfect and polite gent, wore his honours and kinship to The QUEEN very lightly. His son and successor will be 70 in Dec and the new apparent (and only) heir is the latter's son Hon Robert CARINGTON (b 1990), who is unmarried.

I've looked thru the.peerage.com (all that I have at hand right now)--what is his "kinship" to the Queen?

richard hill

Jul 10, 2018, 3:31:20 PM7/10/18
to Peerage News
Abel Smith (1717-1788) was father of Robert, 1st Baron Carrington (1752-1838), grt grt grandfather of Peter Carrington, 6th Baron and George (1765-1836), grt grt grandfather of HM Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother.

Peter Carrington and HM The Queen are fourth cousins once removed.

hopewell

Jul 10, 2018, 5:35:30 PM7/10/18
to Peerage News
Thanks

uwe...@web.de

Jul 10, 2018, 6:15:10 PM7/10/18
to Peerage News
70, that must be one of the oldest heirs to succeed to peerage in terms of father to son?

The heir to the Duke of Edinburgh will be 70 later this year in November.

uwe...@web.de

Jul 10, 2018, 6:31:51 PM7/10/18
to Peerage News
70, that must be one of the oldest heirs to succeed to peerage in terms of father to son

If mother to son is also of any interest, then the heir apparent to the Countess of Sutherland, Lord Strathnaver, at currently 71 should be mentioned.

I wish that Oliver Rost‘s list on the peerage would make it possible to sort this list according to the age of the heir ...

bx...@yahoo.com

Jul 10, 2018, 6:58:48 PM7/10/18
to Peerage News
He was also a life peer, holding the title Lord Carington of Upton.

Per Wikipedia, he died July 9th.

John B-H

Jul 11, 2018, 3:51:03 AM7/11/18
to Peerage News
The Lord Rochester succeeded to the barony at the age of 72, when his father died in 2017.

Dennis Cunniff

Jul 11, 2018, 9:33:55 AM7/11/18
to peerag...@googlegroups.com
They are fourth cousins once removed via that descent, but I believe they are also both descendants of Abel Smith’s grandson Oswald Smith (1794-1863) and his wife Henrietta Mildred Hodgson (1805-1891) and so are third cousins.

(1) Oswald Smith (7 July 1794 - 18 June 1863) & Henrietta Mildred Hodgson (1805 - 1891)

|  (2) Marion Henrietta Smith ( - 1897) & Col. Henry Dorrien Streatfeild (2 August 1825 - 27 March 1889)

|  |  (3) Ruby Streatfeild (10 November 1866 - 14 December 1943) & Charles Robert William Colville (26 April 1854 - 25 March 1928)

|  |  |  (4) Sybil Colville ( - 1946) & Rupert Victor John Carington (20 December 1891 - 19 November 1938)

|  |  |  |  (5) Peter Alexander Rupert Carington (6 June 1919 - 9 July 2018) & Iona McClean ( - 7 June 2009)

|  (2) Frances Dora Smith (29 July 1832 - 5 February 1922) & Claude Bowes-Lyon (21 July 1824 - 16 February 1904)

|  |  (3) Claude George Bowes-Lyon (14 March 1855 - 7 November 1944) & Nina Cecelia Cavendish-Bentinck (11 September 1862 - 23 June 1938)

|  |  |  (4) Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon (4 August 1900 - 30 March 2002) & George VI of the United Kingdom (14 December 1895 - 6 February 1952)

|  |  |  |  (5) Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom (21 April 1926 - ) & Philip Mountbatten (10 June 1921 - )

(I’d be happy to hear of corrections or additions).

On Jul 10, 2018, at 3:31 PM, 'richard hill' via Peerage News <peerag...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Abel Smith (1717-1788) was father of Robert, 1st Baron Carrington (1752-1838), grt grt grandfather of Peter Carrington, 6th Baron and George (1765-1836), grt grt grandfather of HM Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother.

Peter Carrington and HM The Queen are fourth cousins once removed.

Jelena JS

Jul 11, 2018, 9:54:28 AM7/11/18
to Peerage News
From the Telegraph: Carrington (6th Baron)

Peter Alexander Rupert KG,GCMG,CH,MC,PC,DL Peacefully at home on 9th July aged 99. Family funeral. Memorial service to be announced later. Enquiries to: lo...@carington.co.uk

Harry Merritt

Jul 11, 2018, 10:42:51 AM7/11/18
to peerag...@googlegroups.com
I can add these dates: Henrietta Mildred Hodgson (6 January 1805-19 November 1891), wife of Oswald Smith;
Marion Henrietta Smith (25 February 1835-11 July 1897), wife of Henry Streatfeild.
Sybil Marion Colville (21 July 1897-30 September 1946), Lady Carrington

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 9:54 AM, Jelena JS <gorgo...@gmail.com> wrote:
From the Telegraph: Carrington (6th Baron)

Peter Alexander Rupert KG,GCMG,CH,MC,PC,DL Peacefully at home on 9th July aged 99. Family funeral. Memorial service to be announced later. Enquiries to: lo...@carington.co.uk

colinp

Jul 11, 2018, 4:16:20 PM7/11/18
to Peerage News
He was the senior Knight Companion of the Order of the Garter

colinp

Jul 11, 2018, 4:31:45 PM7/11/18
to Peerage News

Dennis Cunniff

Jul 11, 2018, 5:09:08 PM7/11/18
to peerag...@googlegroups.com

> On Jul 11, 2018, at 10:42 AM, Harry Merritt <harryw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I can add these dates: Henrietta Mildred Hodgson (6 January 1805-19 November 1891), wife of Oswald Smith;
> Marion Henrietta Smith (25 February 1835-11 July 1897), wife of Henry Streatfeild.
> Sybil Marion Colville (21 July 1897-30 September 1946), Lady Carrington

Many thanks.

- DJC.

Richard R

Jul 12, 2018, 6:46:34 AM7/12/18
to Peerage News

colinp

Jul 14, 2018, 4:30:57 PM7/14/18
to Peerage News
Lord Carrington held his hereditary peerages for 79 years and 232 days making him the 16th longest holder of a peerage

colinp

Sep 28, 2018, 4:13:58 PM9/28/18
to Peerage News
Lord Carrington's memorial service has been announced - Thursday 31 January 2019 noon in Westminster Abbey

Jelena JS

Jan 31, 2019, 11:58:26 AM1/31/19
to Peerage News
Duchess of Cornwall and Henry Kissinger arrive at Westminster Abbey memorial service for Lord Carrington - the last surviving member of Churchill's post-war government - following his death aged 99

Many of the most influential politicians of recent decades attended today's event and were joined by the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duke of Kent, who represented the royal family.
US politician and Nobel Peace Prize winner Henry Kissinger, 95, was at the service - who Lord Carrington would lovingly tell friends was 'an old mate of mine'.

Princess Alexandra of Kent also attended.

ThomasFoolery

Jan 31, 2019, 4:07:07 PM1/31/19
to Peerage News
Thanks for that information and a reminder about the service. From the Westminster Abbey website:

https://www.westminster-abbey.org/abbey-news/lord-carrington-remembered

Her Majesty The Queen was represented by HRH The Duke of Kent at a Service of Thanksgiving for the Life and Work of the Right Honourable the Lord Carrington KG GCMG CH MC at Westminster Abbey at Noon on Thursday 31st January 2019.

HRH The Duke of Edinburgh was represented by the Right Reverend David Conner KCVO, Dean of Windsor. HRH The Duchess of Cornwall, also representing HRH The Prince of Wales, attended the service. HRH The Duke of York was represented by The Duke of Abercorn KG; HRH The Princess Royal was represented by Admiral of the Fleet the Lord Boyce KG GCB OBE KStJ DL; and TRH The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester were represented by the Right Honourable Sir John Major KG CH. The service was also attended by HRH Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy.

Also named are other participants, including nobility and Garter Knights.