Sr. Ruby Developer

Shannon Peters

Sep 15, 2011, 6:34:43 PM9/15/11
to pdxruby
Hi All,

I have a new opportunity for a Sr. Ruby Developer for a company in
downtown Portland. It's a full-time/direct-hire opportunity. Let me
know if you would be interested.

Responsibilities:
-Serve as key member of the development team
-Participate in all phases of the system development lifecycle
-Assist in translating business and functional requirements into
technical design
-Code core components of applications and databases
-Communicate technical and implementation status and issues to
management
-Assist in maintaining the development, test and production
environment

Required Skills:
-3+ years of web application experience
-2+ years of Ruby on Rails development experience
-Knowledge of behavior-/test-driven development practices
-Good experience with all basics like HTML, CSS and JavaScript
-Good experience with standard source control systems (git,…)

Desired Skills:
-Start-up/small company experience. We are three years old and well-
funded, but still scrappy. You should be too.
-Experience building high-performance, highly-available and scalable
distributed systems

Thank you!
Shannon Malcom Peters
sha...@edgelink.com

Sam Livingston-Gray

Sep 15, 2011, 6:55:54 PM9/15/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
I continue to be amused at how easy it is to find out which company a
recruiter is working with, just by searching phrases from their email.
-Sam

Shannon Peters

Sep 15, 2011, 7:06:52 PM9/15/11
to pdxruby
I wasn't trying to be secretive. Just trying all avenues. :)
> > shan...@edgelink.com

Sam Livingston-Gray

Sep 15, 2011, 7:19:12 PM9/15/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
I should probably mention that, even when that information is so
readily available, I do respect the work that recruiters do. (I've
been partially involved in a few hiring cycles at this point, and I
find writing code much easier.)

It's interesting to think about how the Internet has changed the field
-- some aspects of the job are surely easier, but the
disintermediation effect means recruiters have to work to find
different ways of adding value.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled whatever. (=

-Sam

Shannon Peters

Sep 15, 2011, 7:22:15 PM9/15/11
to pdxruby
Well, thank you! It’s not the easiest job at times, but it’s
certainly fun and fun to work in the ever changing technology space!

Bill Burcham

Sep 16, 2011, 1:49:17 PM9/16/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
If recruiters wanted to hide their sources better then they should eliminate all interesting and unusual phrases from their job posts. For instance I found the job on Silicon Florist by Googling:

"company experience.  We are three years old and well-
funded, but still scrappy"

Scrappy indeed!

Then again I hope recruiters do not follow my advice. Job descriptions are boring enough already what with all the repetitive junk. Senior this and agile that. Ugh.

John Wilger

Sep 16, 2011, 2:22:13 PM9/16/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, September 16, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Bill Burcham wrote:
> Then again I hope recruiters do not follow my advice. Job descriptions are boring enough already what with all the repetitive junk. Senior this and agile that. Ugh.
I'm looking for a Sr. Agile Programmer. Responsibilites include writing code, being agile, having seniority. Must have experience with both programming and agile methodologies. Oh, and must be a toothbrush-weilding scrappy ninja rockstar on a scooter. With laser eyes.

;-)

--
Regards,

John Wilger

Sam Livingston-Gray

Sep 16, 2011, 2:26:24 PM9/16/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com

You forgot the latest software hipster term: craftsman. ;>

Oh, and brogrammer.

-Sam

Tim Krajcar

Sep 16, 2011, 2:25:04 PM9/16/11
to pdxruby
And HTML5.

Liene V.

Sep 16, 2011, 2:24:14 PM9/16/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Oh man; synergy dynamism buzzword opportunity!

- Liene

Jason LaPier

Sep 16, 2011, 2:30:20 PM9/16/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com

If the health care plan consists entirely of a Wii and the promise of disc-golf, I'm in.

Cameron Thomas

Sep 16, 2011, 4:02:17 PM9/16/11
to pdxruby
I avoid any postings that use the term 'rockstar' in its description.
Are they looking for the 'Kurt Cobain' type (death by shotgun
inhalation) or the 'Brian May' type (PhD in AstroPhysics, currently
Chancellor of Liverpool John Moores University)?

On Sep 16, 11:30 am, Jason LaPier <jason.lap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Sam Livingston-Gray <geek...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 11:22 AM, John Wilger <johnwil...@gmail.com>

Adron Hall

Sep 16, 2011, 5:36:25 PM9/16/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Ya know, rock star is pretty ambiguous.

;)   There is three chord rock, then there is the intricacies of the orchestrations of progressive rock.

-Adron

Sam Livingston-Gray

Sep 16, 2011, 5:50:04 PM9/16/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
As a list manager, I've approved more first-time posters today than in
the past month.

Maybe we could talk about, y'know, Ruby or something. (=

-Sam

John Wilger

Sep 16, 2011, 5:54:24 PM9/16/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, September 16, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Sam Livingston-Gray wrote:
> Maybe we could talk about, y'know, Ruby or something. (=
Ok, how about "...toothbrush-weilding scrappy ninja rockstar on a scooter. With rubies that shoot lasers for eyes." :-P

--
Regards,

John Wilger (who clearly didn't get enough sleep last night)

George Feil

Sep 16, 2011, 7:13:51 PM9/16/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
My coworkers and I had a bit of a discussion about the term "rock star", and we agreed that it's an anti-agile metaphor. After all rock stars tend to have big egos, and insist on doing things "their way".

So no, we don't want to have rock stars on our team -- just smart folks who are excellent collaborators and communicators.

My two pennies...
George

Bill Kayser

Sep 19, 2011, 12:50:29 PM9/19/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Collaborator, communicator, smart... sounds like a Rap Star.

Erik Hollensbe

Sep 19, 2011, 12:57:08 PM9/19/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 19, 2011, at 9:50 AM, Bill Kayser wrote:

> Collaborator, communicator, smart... sounds like a Rap Star.

He's back with the brand new invention.

-Erik

robert_clark

Sep 19, 2011, 1:07:16 PM9/19/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com

Sleep until noon. Arrive at the venue a few minutes before the show...

Following that metaphor, network and system admins would be the roadies?

And the recruiters are groupies?

[RC]

Sam Livingston-Gray

Sep 19, 2011, 1:55:46 PM9/19/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
UNSUBSCRIBE

--
(Sent from a mobile device with a tiny onscreen keyboard.  As such, my email may be more terse than you've come to expect from me.)

mharper

Sep 20, 2011, 3:23:08 PM9/20/11
to pdxruby
I've been a "senior <insert title here>" since I had them put it on my
business card over 20 years ago. Oh, and my latest title is "Software
Craftsmithitectant." Trying to cover all bases.

<Obligatory Ruby Content> In other news, will be hooking up my iOS app
to a new Rails 3.1 back end this week.

Michael
www.standalonecode.com

Bill Burcham

Sep 20, 2011, 4:39:40 PM9/20/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 12:23 PM, mharper <doktah...@gmail.com> wrote:
Craftsmithitectant

Sounds like something you'd take for a cough.

Kerri Miller

Sep 20, 2011, 4:54:47 PM9/20/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Yeah. You have to show 2 forms of ID when you hire one of those.

-k-