RVM missing environment file error

Tom Henderson

Jan 6, 2012, 1:47:45 AM1/6/12
to pdxruby-beginners
Hi, I'm Tom! Short-time rubyist, first-time caller...

The commands 'gem env' and 'irb' give me the error

ERROR: Missing RVM environment file: '/home/tom/.rvm/environments/
ruby-1.9.2-p180'

Of course that's an error, because after doing a reinstall of my OS
for unrelated reasons, I changed my home directory from 'tom' to
'thomas'. When I run an 'rvm' command, like 'rvm list' for example, I
get an infinite number of

/home/thomas/bin/rvm: line 49: /home/thomas/.rvm/scripts/rvm: No
such file or directory

I checked /home/thomas/bin, and found that many ruby-related files had
"home/tom" instead of the $HOME variable. I made that replacement; now
I get the same error, but with the correctly named home directory.
What can I try next?

-Tom

Matthew Boeh

Jan 6, 2012, 9:51:03 AM1/6/12
to pdxruby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

Have you tried reinstalling RVM after your OS reinstall? The errors
you're getting suggest to me that RVM is not installed correctly/at
all. I would suggest deleting/renaming your $HOME/.rvm and
reinstalling RVM and ruby-1.9.2-p180.

Matthew Boeh