Fwd: Re: [phig] Fwd: [pdxfunc] MEETING: Monday, June 13, 7pm

Igal Koshevoy

Jun 13, 2011, 5:34:59 PM6/13/11
to pdxfunc

Also tonight, Sergio Antoy will present "Curry: a Functional Language with Non-determinism":

 Curry is a functional logic programming language.  As such it joins strongly-type, non-strict functional evaluation with logic variables and non-determinism.  For an introduction to the language consult http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1721654.1721675.

 This talk, which will be 15-30 minutes long, will present two very simple examples intended to show the virtues of non-determinism.

 Sergio Antoy is a professor of computer science at Portland State which he joined in 1990.  His interest is narrowing strategies and the implementation of functional logic languages. More info at http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~antoy/

Igal Koshevoy

Jun 14, 2011, 6:19:59 AM6/14/11
to pdxfunc
We had a great pdxfunc meeting last night with ~3 hours of intense FP
content and ~25 attendees.

I'm sorry for not confirming the building address in advance and for
not being there early enough to put up maps to guide you towards the
room. I'm glad that everyone seemed to find the room.

Sergio Antoy presented "Curry: a Functional Language with
Non-determinism". You can learn more about Curry at
http://www-ps.informatik.uni-kiel.de/currywiki/ . Also many thanks to
Sergio for helping by getting us access to the venue with little
notice.

Michael Hanus presented details about "KiCS2: A New Compiler from
Curry to Haskell". Among many benefits, it's much faster than the
older Prolog implementation. You can learn more about his work at
http://www.informatik.uni-kiel.de/~mh/papers/WFLP11_KiCS2.pdf

Jamey Sharp gave us an in-depth look into the new Yesod web framework
for Haskell. He also walked us through a Yesod application that he and
Josh Triplett wrote recently, a smart git http-backend. You can learn
more about Yesod at http://www.yesodweb.com/

I'd also like to thank PSU for sponsoring the venue, Warren Harrison
and Bart Massey for making this possible, and the meeting's attendees
for all the stimulating discussion.

Lastly, we'll have a free-to-the-public functional programming
birds-of-a-feather session at Open Source Bridge next week, which will
bring a bunch of new people into town and into our discussions. If you
have a short talk you'd like to give, please start preparing. I'll
send you further information on this in the next day or so.

See you again soon,

-igal