PDXfunc meeting notes summary: July 13, 2009

Igal Koshevoy

Jul 14, 2009, 9:23:51 PM7/14/09
to pdxfunc
We had a great meeting at Lucky Lab SE. This was our first meeting since the unfortunate demise of CubeSpace, which hosted all of the group's meetings other than the initial meeting in November 2007.

VENUE

Reactions to the Lucky Lab venue were mixed. We liked having food and drink available, not needing to go to a separate venue after the meeting was convenient, and most of the attendees stayed long after the meeting was over. However, there were issues: We had 20-25 people, yet almost completely filled up the room; the event room's poor acoustics and the main room's noise made it hard to hear; it cost $100 to rent the room (thanks to those that donated to help cover the cost). Anyway, I'll keep searching for another venue.

PRESENTATIONS

1. Howard Lewis Ship presented Clojure

2. Howard Lewis Ship presented Cascade

For those interested in functional programming on the JVM, please also check out Scala and the brand new Scala user group: http://groups.google.com/group/pdxscala

Thanks to all that came to the meeting, and a huge thanks to Howard for his excellent presentations, cool software, and support of open source.

-igal