Rose City Rebel Dharma Week of 9.12.16

Portland Rose City Rebel Dharma

Sep 14, 2016, 12:42:27 AM9/14/16
WEDNESDAYS:  7:00pm-9:00pm
Yoga Shala North - 3808 North Williams Room B! (a block north of Fremont)

Group Information
We have a 35-45 minute meditation - guided or silent depending on the pulse of the group each week. We then have a Dharma talk or reading and discussion. There is also time to share/discuss practice stuff or other desired topics.
We sit Wednesday nights at Yoga
Shala- 3808 North Williams (a block north of Fremont). The 44 bus line stops right in front. We meet from 7-9 PM. When you get to the Shala, just stop by the front counter and let them know that you are there for D-Punx (as always we are on a strict donation only system-never a cost to sit with us-but, because generosity is a part of the practice....) and come on back. They do have some cushions and chairs for us to use, but feel free to bring your own. If the front door is locked upon your arrival come in Suite A from the back hallway.
A big thank you to Jody and the good folks of Yoga Shala for their generosity of allowing us to sit in their beautiful space on a donation basis. We ask for a minimum donation of $2 or more, but no one ever turned away because of lack of funds! We start at 7 and end right at 9.

Tomorrow we will continue on with the ethical conduct section of the 8-fold path, also known as the sila basket, which basically includes the precepts with the addition of right/skillful livelihood. Tomorrow we will talk about Right/Skillful Action, which is the 4th element of the 8-fold path. As I shared the last couple of weeks, Bhikku Bodhi says, Right action is Right action means refraining from unwholesome deeds that occur with the body as their natural means of expression…The Buddha mentions three components of right action: abstaining from taking life, abstaining from taking what is not given, and abstaining from sexual misconduct.
Tomorrow we will talk about the third element, abstaining from sexual misconduct, which is also the third lay precept. We will talk about some of the intricacies of this one,which has an overarching intention of not causing harm to ourself or others with our sexuality.

As always, we will keep the content accessible for folks new to the practice and experienced people as well.
Come on out for some community time :)

Local Special Events:

Meditation Group for Queer Folks and Allies on the 1st Tuesday of every Month
Welcome! We are a meditation group for queer folks and allies that meets in Portland on the first Tuesday of every month in the evening. The group will be peer led and facilitated, although we occasionally have queer dharma teachers from the community come facilitate.

Our group is inclusive and welcoming to anyone who is interested in meditating with a community, whether you have a long-term meditation practice or whether you are new to sitting. The monthly sittings are free and open to all with an opportunity for dana (generosity) if you are interested.

Our meetings are held from 7pm-8:30pm at TaborSpace in SE Portland. The address is: 5441 SE Belmont St, at the corner of 55th and Belmont.

We want the sitting to be as accessible as possible, so please reach out if you need a ride or would like to carpool.

Any questions? please contact Julee at julee.g...@gmail.com
For more info join our FB group! "Queer Meditation Sangha Portland"

2016 Pah Bah Samakkee in September

Luang Por Pasanno and Luang Por Viradhammo Visit for Pacific Hermitage Pah Bah Samakkee

September 17 & 18 are the dates for this year’s annual alms-giving ceremony in support of the Pacific Hermitage! Luang Por Pasanno and Luang Por Viradhammo will lead a retreat, the ceremony, and other Hermitage and Portland Friends of the Dhamma (PFoD) events.

The “Main Event”

The actual Pah Bah Samakee is Sept. 18 at Mountain View Grange, 1085 N Main Avenue, White Salmon, WA.  In the morning, there will be a potluck/meal offering downstairs.  The ceremony (offering of various items to support the monks and the Hermitage), chanting and a Dhamma talk will be upstairs following the meal.   There is parking around the Grange, with additional parking available, courtesy of I.C.E., a company about one block north of the Grange.

The Schedule

While visiting, Luang Por Pasanno and Luang Por Viradhammo will lead these activities:

§  Tea, Q&A, meditation and Dhamma talk at PFoD, Sept. 16, 5:30 pm

§  Meditation retreat at Mt. View Grange, White Salmon, Sept. 17, 1-5 pm

§  Pah Bah Samakkee at Mt. View Grange, White Salmon, Sept. 18

§  10:30 am — Meal offering/potluck (enter from downstairs)

§  1:00 pm — Ceremony (enter from upstairs)

§  Meditation and Dhamma Talk, Yoga Samadhi, White Salmon, Sept. 20, 6:30 pm

Everyone is invited to attend all or just some of these free events.  No meditation experience is needed and chairs will be available.  Donations are welcome and may be given at any of the events.  The monks cannot accept or handle money.  All monetary donations should be made through the Sanghata, a board of stewards for the Pacific Hermitage.

A Pah Bah is an event organized by lay supporters to offer monetary support and needed material goods to a monastery.  Samakkee is a Thai word indicating that several people have joined together to sponsor a Pah Bah this year.  For more information, please click on the appropriate links included above or email Pah...@sanghata.net.

Opportunities to sit with Kate Dresher

Kate Dresher has been practicing meditation since 1998 and was authorized to teach by her root teacher, Michele McDonald, in 2010. She has studied with both Asian and Western meditation masters, most notably Venerables Chanmyay Myaing Sayadaw and Sayadaw U Vivekananda, and practiced for a time as a nun in Burma.  She has also trained to offer spiritual care, as a Buddhist chaplain, for those facing difficulty or loss. Kate is involved in teaching metta and vipassana retreats primarily in the Northwest U.S. and British Columbia, where she resides. She emphasizes practicing right where we are as a doorway to the natural unfolding of wisdom and love.

SEPTEMBER

Beginning Thursday, Sept 8th
Thursday Night Meditation w/ Kate Dresher
Cedarwood Waldorf School, 7-9 pm
(Weekly, except Sept 15. Sept dates: 8, 22, 28)

Sunday, Sept 11
2nd- Sunday Teaching & Sit AND Community Potluck
Cedarwood Waldorf School & adjacent Lair Hill Park
Teaching and Sit: 8:30 – 11:00 am
Community Potluck 11:00 am -1:00 pm

Wednesday, Sept 14th
Meditation and Dhamma Talk w/ guest Santikaro
Cedarwood Waldorf School, 7-9 pm

OCTOBER

Sat – Sunday, Oct 1-2
Non-Residential Retreat w/ Kate Dresher
Center for Contemplative Arts, Manzanita

Thursday Night Meditation (Weekly)
Cedarwood Waldorf School, 7-9 pm
(Oct dates: 6, 13, 20, 27)

Sunday, Oct 9
2nd- Sunday Teaching & Sit
Cedarwood Waldorf School, 8:30 – 11:00 am
Sangha fellowship ½-hour following the teaching, 11:00-11:30 am

For more info, please contact Lindy at sangha...@gmail.com

For ways to practice generosity, contribute and get involved through Dhamma community service, please contact Kate atkdre...@gmail.com

One House of Peace Events:

So often we struggle because we’re resisting, fixing, changing, or even transcending our experiences. What happens when instead of pushing our emotions away, we invite them closer in? Join Caverly Morgan from One House of Peace for an exploration of this rich topic.

Join Caverly Morgan for this free, live, online talk through Worldwide Insight, from 11-12:30pm Pacific Time on Sunday October 16thWorldwide Insight is a Dharma practice group that you can join from anywhere in the world. Each Saturday and Sunday, renowned Insight Meditation teachers offer meditation instruction, teachings, and live Q&A on video.

Awakening to the New Year 5-day Retreat - December 28th-January 2nd
Enter the New Year aware, peaceful, and from a place of love on this 5-day retreat with Caverly Morgan at Still Meadow Retreat Center in Damascus, OR. Activities include group discussion, guided exercises, journaling, visualization, and meditation. No experience required, all are welcome.

Awakening to the New Year Online Course - January 4th - January 29th
This new year, awaken to your true calling. Recognize yourself as the love and awareness that you are. Know the happiness and peace that you seek. In this four-week, online series Caverly Morgan will guide you to: create conscious intentions, drop resistance and fear, access effortless, awakened presence, and live from a place of unconditional love.

Local Retreat Centers:
Great Vow Monastery event calendar: http://www.zendust.org/eventlisting

Cloud Mountain  http://cloudmountain.org

For retreats in 2015 and 2016 at Cloud Mountain go here and here!

Other Supportive Groups/Classes:

Yoga Punx! See the up-to-date schedule by going to their website below
Donation based, all level, punk rock yoga in Portland, Oregon. Providing yoga to those who would normally not seek it out or who would not feel comfortable in a conventional yoga studio.  More info:yogi...@gmail.com  Website:  http://Yogapunx.com/

Heart of Wisdom Zen Temple has held a weekly Monday evening meeting since June 30th at 7:00 p.m. We use the meeting format found at www.refugerecovery.org which begins, "Welcome to the Refuge Recovery weekly group. All are welcome here."

Refuge Recovery is a community of people who are using the practices of mindfulness, compassion, forgiveness, and generosity to heal the pain and suffering that addiction has caused in our lives and the lives of our loved ones. The path of practice that we follow is called the Four Truths of Refuge Recovery.

Please contact Gensho if you have questions.

Heart of Wisdom Zen Temple
6401 NE 10th Avenue
97211 Portland

Book List-
As promised, here is a book list geared towards beginners, but way suitable for experienced practitioners. This is in no particular order! The ones that have hyperlinks are available for free distribution online.

Anything by Pema Chodron, Sharon Salzberg, Jack Kornfield, Tara Brach, Thich Nhat Hanh and many other.

Yoga for those Impacted by Addiction/in Recovery:
Heartsong Yoga 3841 SW Hall Blvd, Beaverton Living Recover Yoga Thursdays 7:30-8:30 PM a free recovery yoga class. This is a safe space and place to practice with others in recovery from addictions.
The People's Yoga 3016 NE Killingsworth Living Yoga Recovery Yoga - 8:30-9:30am Sundays Taught by Living Yoga volunteers, this class is specifically for individuals impacted by addiction and recovery. Donations are requested to cover the studio space, but no one is turned away.
Unfold Studios 3249 SE Division Living Yoga Recovery Yoga - 8:30-9:45am Saturdays Taught by Living Yoga volunteers, this class is specifically for individuals impacted by addiction and recovery. Donations are requested to cover the studio space, but no one is turned away.
Check out Living Yoga, an amazing non-profit that does incredible work for many communities. Go to this link for other free and donation-based yoga opportunities.

Awesome place and community in Portland!

Portland Friends of The Dhamma:
1404 SE 25th Ave, Portland, OR, 97214 (25th and Madison-a block off Hawthorne)
http://www.pdxdhamma.org/

Friday is a wonderful offering called "Investigations", led by Matthew Grad. We explore Dhamma suttas and teachings and explore how they impact and inform our lives.

Sunday has an offering of "Sunday Sila", with a morning puja, followed by a period of meditation and sharing.

Please check the calendar often for schedule updates.

The Pacific Hermitage has monastics living there full time! (Go to this link to learn all about it, it is quite exciting) If you would like to offer a meal and have conversation with monks you can offer meal dana from this link http://hermitage.abhayagiri.org/Support/meal-dana). If you have any questions about how any of this works talk to Heather or email the dana coordinator at: da...@pacifichermitage.or or go to this website: http://hermitage.abhayagiri.org/Support/meal-dana

Other Communities in Portland to Sit-Check out their schedules on their websites