Volunteers for May meeting

Dave Revell

Apr 26, 2012, 12:42:17 AM4/26/12
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
We had two volunteers to give a ten minute presentation during May's meeting. If those two people could announce themselves on the mailing list and give us a quick description of their subject, that would be great.

We also need two more volunteers, since we're aiming for a total of four presentations. We're asking for a ten minute presentation on any topic that might be of interest to the group.

I'll conclude my facilitating duties here and leave things in David Price's capable hands.

Cheers,
Dave

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Apr 26, 2012, 2:02:06 AM4/26/12
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Dave Revell <dave....@gmail.com> wrote:
> We had two volunteers to give a ten minute presentation during May's
> meeting. If those two people could announce themselves on the mailing list
> and give us a quick description of their subject, that would be great.

I would be one of them. I'm planning to talk about doing computational
journalism in R, specifically "text mining" Twitter data.

Here are the PDFs I did three years ago on Linux I/O modeling -
they're a bit sketchy but I have the code stashed up on Github and can
help you get it up and running if you want to do some of this.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Server
http://j.mp/compjournoserver

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.
LinuxServerProfiling.pdf
ModelingTheBlockIOLayer.pdf