Extracting and merging redacted PDF content

Support

May 10, 2013, 12:59:41 PM5/10/13
to pdfne...@googlegroups.com
Q:

I am working with PDF SDK (.net)  and am specifically looking into redaction. I am able to redact regions just fine with a rectangle and that seems to work great, what I need to be able to do is before redacting, get the information from that rectangular region and save it elsewhere and then be able to put that data back later. Is this possible to do with your product?

please see this forum posting: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/pdfnet-sdk/extract$20region/pdfnet-sdk/9XGLPm3lYPM/btNPytpS0S0J

alternatively, doing the opposite, redacting everything outside the area, and saving the remaining (soon to be redacted content) might be easier? Simply set the Redaction objects 'negative' parameter to true. and then copy the page to another document.

In case you are just interested in extracting text from a given region using TextExtractor.Begin(page, extract_from_rect, …) would produce more structured text than using lower-level ElementReader.

You could merge PDF content (e.g. place content from one page on another) as shown in Imposition sample        (http://www.pdftron.com/pdfnet/samplecode.html#Imposition).

Alternatively you can copy individual graphical elements from one page to another using ElementReader/Writer (for an example please take a look at ElementEdit sample  - http://www.pdftron.com/pdfnet/samplecode.html#ElementEdit).