vocab updates

pamela

Feb 13, 2012, 6:58:01 PM2/13/12
to PBCore Talk
Hello!
How does one suggest new PBCore vocabulary at http://metadataregistry.org?
Standards change so quickly! I have suggestions for
instantiationStandard and essencetrackStandard.

http://metadataregistry.org/concept/list/vocabulary_id/167.html
http://metadataregistry.org/concept/list/vocabulary_id/166.html

http://metadataregistry.org/concept/list/vocabulary_id/164.html
http://metadataregistry.org/concept/list/vocabulary_id/165.html

thanks,
Pamela

--

Pamela Jean Vadakan
California Light and Sound

Bruce Jacobs

Feb 13, 2012, 7:11:06 PM2/13/12
to pbcor...@googlegroups.com
We have a number of tapes with two shows on one tape.

instantiationIdentifier will be the same physical asset tape ID for both
records.

pbcoreIdentifier for each show is uniquely defined in our program DAM
system.

It seems like there should be a place in pbcore to put the "cut" number,
so someone would know what order the shows are on the single tape.

Where should this metadata go?

(Sorry if I've missed this. Everything else is coming together, but this
one still eludes me.)

Bruce

Kitty Dillingham

Feb 13, 2012, 7:30:00 PM2/13/12
to pbcor...@googlegroups.com
We solved the problem at WTVS, by adding an integer to the end of the unique identifier, such as WTVS000111.1, WTVS000111.2, WTVS000111.3 ect.

This is how we were able to work with the bluray assets.
--
Kitty Dillingham

Bruce Jacobs

Feb 13, 2012, 9:57:55 PM2/13/12
to pbcor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Kitty.

The thought had occurred to me, but then it is no longer literally a physical asset ID.

But if there is no better way identified, I'll be inclined to do the same.

Bruce

From: Kitty Dillingham <kedill...@gmail.com<mailto:kedill...@gmail.com>>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 19:30:00 -0500
To: <pbcor...@googlegroups.com<mailto:pbcor...@googlegroups.com>>
Subject: Re: [PBCore-talk] Cuts

We solved the problem at WTVS, by adding an integer to the end of the unique identifier, such as WTVS000111.1, WTVS000111.2, WTVS000111.3 ect.

This is how we were able to work with the bluray assets.

Bruce Jacobs

Feb 13, 2012, 10:11:25 PM2/13/12
to pbcor...@googlegroups.com
I might as well finish this outŠ

I was hoping there was a better home for "cut", thinking it might solve
another problem.

We have a bunch of other tapes that are edit masters over the years of
segments for our public affairs show. On these tapes, the cuts are
identified conveniently by time code rather than by cut number. This makes
it easy to find each cut when shuttling the tape. Where should the time
code go? I suppose I could make yet another "description" of the type
"timecode". But this seems kludgy.

I could instead add the timecode to the unique ID. Again, kludgy.

To make matters worse, we also have meta-data-only records providing tags
unique to each "chapter" of our web-published shows, where there is BOTH a
chapter number and a starting timecode. Do I add BOTH to the unique ID?
584357H.9.00:24:45

This is all data, longing for a good home in pbcoreland.

Will anyone take it in?

Bruce

Jack Brighton

Feb 14, 2012, 11:25:05 AM2/14/12
to pbcor...@googlegroups.com
Bruce, what you could do is create two instantiation records, one for each
show, and add startTime and stopTime attributes to the pbcoreInstantiation
element for each record. You could also add something to each
instantiationIdentifier to make it unique. Something like "tape_123008_a"
and "tape_123008_b" so you have the tape number the same, but something to
show a difference. What you choose to use for a UID convention is of
course what works best for your system.

I guess you wouldn't have to include startTime and stopTime attributes if
that's going to be too much work at this point, but it's an option that
gets more specific.

Jack

Dave MacCarn

Feb 14, 2012, 11:47:58 AM2/14/12
to pbcor...@googlegroups.com
instantiationPart was added to version 2.0 for those tricky multi-part instantiations.
One can use it for multi-part tape/DVD etc. where you have two or more physical items for an instantiation but it could also refer to multiple instantiations on one physical asset. The physical asset id would be the unique ID.

One could also use the pbcorePart to describe cuts.

Both of these allow for startEndTimeGroup.

Dave

Bruce Jacobs

Feb 14, 2012, 6:38:23 PM2/14/12
to pbcor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, guys.

I'm reminded to look deeper than the submission spreadsheet, for these
richer features. Long ago, I got pretty familiar with v 1.0. But I've yet
gotten as far with v 2.0! Thanks for steering me to the new stuff. I'll be
using it!

Bruce