FREE December Tool Trainings

Bissrat Melakeberhan

Nov 28, 2018, 7:51:47 AM11/28/18
FREE workshops with Parts and Crafts in Laser Cutting, CNC routing,  and Electronics using Arduino.
We are running a series of FREE workshops --  covering design, tool setup, and hands-on practice -- to introduce people to our basic toolset.  Drop in or take all three sessions to get your tool certification.

Intro to ShopBot:  3 sessions

The ShopBot is a CNC router that can be used for larger-scale woodworking projects such as sign-making and furniture design.  CNC routers can be used for a variety of carpentry work.  This is a three-session tool training designed to give people an introduction to use this tool safely for your own projects.
  • Design with VCarve Pro:  Tuesday Dec 4, 6:30-8 pm.  Learn how to design and set up a 2D file to cut with the ShopBot.  This workshop will focus on drawing and layout in VCarve Pro, including tool demos and workflow, with the goal of getting people set up with a file that they can cut.  REGISTER HERE
  • Setting up the Tool:  Tuesday Dec 11 6:30-8 pm.   Overview of toolpaths, router bit selection, and basic safety procedures for setting up the ShopBot to cut a file.  Import your file from VCarve to ShopBot control software and learn how to safely set up your workspace.   REGISTER HERE
  • Fun Stuff:  Design a Sign:  Tuesday Dec 18, 6:30-8 pm.   Use the ShopBot to make something practical or creative! Make a sign, cut it on the Shopbot, hang it up! Participants with independent projects will have an opportunity to design and cut their work.  Build something and take it home with you!  REGISTER HERE
Intro to Lasercutting:  3 sessions

Learn how to use a high-powered laser to cut and etch different types of materials, including acrylic, wood, and fabric.  This is a three-session tool training designed to give people an introduction to use this tool safely for your own projects.
  • Design with Inkscape: Wednesday Dec 5, 6:30-8 pm.  Whether your're creating ornaments, making your own signs, or etching a picture, the first step to using the lasercutter is being able to set up the file.  Our first class will be an introduction to Inkscape, an open source tool that is one of the main platforms we use to design for the lasercutter.  REGISTER HERE
  • Setting up the Tool: Wednesday Dec 12, 6:30-8 pm.   Set up a file and send it to cut!  We'll go over speed and power settings for etching glass, cutting plywood, etching acrylic, and more.   Participants will have an opportunity to experiment with different materials and go over basic safety practices that are required to use the lasercutter independently.   REGISTER HERE
  • Fun Stuff:  Lasercut Holiday Ornaments!:  Wednesday Dec 19 6:30-8pm.  Design an ornament for the lasercutter!  If you have an independent project that is ready to cut, we'll send it to the lasercutter and you can take it home with you.  REGISTER HERE

Intro to Arduino: 3 sessions
A short, three-session introduction to digital electronics using the Arduino -- a popular, open-source hobbyist electronics platform.  In this class we’ll learn the basics of writing software to control circuits using the C programming language and the Arduino IDE.  We will learn to connect and write code to control a variety of outputs -- lights, sounds, and motors -- and read data from a variety of inputs -- sensors, buttons, knobs -- and finally relate the two.

  • Intro to Arduino Session 1:  What is Arduino?:  Thursday Dec 6, 6:30-8:00.  In this class we learn to build simple circuits on a breadboard -- a popular tool for prototyping electronics -- and write code to control these circuits.  We will build an array of flashing lights and program a few different patterns for them to blink in. REGISTER HERE
  • Intro to Arduino Session 2:  What is Taking Input?:  Thursday Dec 13, 6:30-8:00.   In this class we will experiment with a number of different kinds of inputs and sensors, including buttons, kobs, and light sensors.  We will write code to read input from our circuits and learn to calibrate this input to make it more useful.REGISTER HERE
  • Intro to Arduino Session 3:  Putting it all together:  Thursday Dec 20, 6:30-8:00.  We will experiment with a wider variety of inputs and outputs and built  different ways to relate them -- a light-controlled, electronic musical instrument, a motor that waves when it feels vibration, a light that turns on when it gets dark.  REGISTER HERE

Fabville Open Shop!
Monday - Thursday

The Fab Lab is open to the public Monday through Thursday.  It is FREE and anyone is allowed to come!   You do not have to be a Somerville Public School student or even live in Somerville.  Open shop hours are as follows:
  • Monday3-5:30
  • Tuesday:  3-5:30
  • Wednesday:  3-8 pm
  • Thursday:  3-8 pm
Where are you located?   FabVille is located on the far east side of the Somerville High school campus  (library side).  To get to the Fab Lab, enter near the gym and go down the stairs to your right, turn left and head to the end of the hallway.  We're at the very end of the Voc Ed department, last door on the right.

Who can come?  Anyone is welcome, but the Fab Lab is primarily geared toward late middle schoolers, high schoolers, and adults.  It's a professional toolset, and there's less of the "pull something out and build it!" that we have at Parts and Crafts.  Kids 13 and under should plan to come with a grown-up.

Does it cost anything?  All classes and workshops are offered free of charge.  This includes advanced classes like Arduino robotics, lasercutting and 3D printing, and materials for small-scale manufacturing.

Who runs the Fab Lab?  The Fab Lab is run by the City of Somerville in partnership with Parts and Crafts, a kid workshop and community  makerspace located at 577 Somerville Ave.   To find out more about our programs, visit www.partsandcrafts.org

Stop by Saturday Open Shop!

Every Saturday from 12-2 pm
@ Parts and Crafts, 577 Somerville Ave

Every Saturday we open up our shop, from 12:00 p.m. to 2 p.m. to families and other curious folks who want to come in, look around, and make something (or make something happen!)  People are encouraged to bring projects they’d like to work on and explore, but we’ll always have something in mind to get you started if you’re suffering from maker’s block.  Participation is free / by donation.

Skill Up Somerville (2).png