Compiler producing executable ?

dreplaceelette...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2013, 4:37:47 AM12/12/13
to parasail-progr...@googlegroups.com
I wish the result of compilation could run as an independent process without the virtual machine you distribute.

You succeeded in doing thinks withoug GC, so this is doable.

Tucker Taft

Dec 13, 2013, 9:53:23 AM12/13/13
to parasail-progr...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 4:37 AM,
<dreplaceelette...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wish the result of compilation could run as an independent process without
> the virtual machine you distribute.

Once we generate "real" code, the compiler will be separate.
Alternatively, we could create a disk representation of the ParaSail
Virtual Machine instructions, much like the ".class" files created for
Java.

> You succeeded in doing thinks withoug GC, so this is doable.

Agreed, this is certainly doable, and we are headed that direction.

-Tuck

dreplaceelette...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2013, 6:22:05 PM12/16/13
to parasail-progr...@googlegroups.com, tuc...@yaletaft.com

Once we generate "real" code, the compiler will be separate.
Alternatively, we could create a disk representation of the ParaSail
Virtual Machine instructions, much like the ".class" files created for
Java.

The Java Virtual Machines takes at least a few megabytes, and in some application for Parasail that I have in mind (phones, ...) this is just too much. I would prefer "real" code.