Heads-up: Google account to be required soon for using Panoramio

Adam Lasnik

Oct 31, 2013, 10:14:54 PM10/31/13
Hi there,

The vast majority of you are already signing into Panoramio with your Google account email address and password.  In mid-November 2013, we're going to require all Panoramio members to log in with their Google account as well.

Why?
  • Account recovery:  Panoramio members have more and easier options for recovering their account when they're using a Google account if they forget their password (backup email address, recovery info sent to phone, etc.)
  • Data security:  With a Google account, it's possible to add 2-step verification to greatly improve the security of all account data, including photos, email, etc. (in a nutshell, it makes it nearly impossible for an account to be hacked, since an attacker would need both the account password and access to the changing security code sent to the member's phone)
  • Service improvement:  Our team is spending a bunch of time supporting the old account login feature, both technically and otherwise... time that could be better spent on improving service quality for the majority of members.

How will this work?

For years now, we've put up an interstitial page asking members to upgrade to a Google account, and nearly every member has done so (thank you!).  Starting in a week or two, though, the next time any member using an old login tries to sign in to Panoramio, they'll be required to connect their Google account to Panoramio if they wish to continue using the service.  If they don't already have a Google account, they'll be invited to create one.  At the same time, we'll enable any member (with Google account or not) the opportunity to download all their photos, or even delete their Panoramio account if they wish, though of course we really hope everyone upgrades and stays with our community :-)

What will change when upgrading to a Google account?

Aside from the benefits noted above, there's no difference between logging in with a older Panoramio account vs. a Google account except for the email address and password used.  All the photos will stay the same, the displayed username will stay the same, and so on.

What if someone wants to have Panoramio notifications go to a non-Google email address?
  • If you haven't already created a Google account, you can do so at http://www.google.com/account, and if you prefer not to use a Gmail address, you can click on the link there that reads "I prefer to use my current email address."
  • If you have already created a Google account but you'd rather Panoramio notifications go to a different address, your best bet is to set up a simple filter rule in Gmail to forward such mail to whatever address you prefer.

Got questions?  Post here :-)

And in the meantime, if you have friends on Panoramio who are still using an old account, please point them to this post so they understand what's going on and why.  Thank you!

[Updated to note new timeline]

Adam Lasnik

Oct 6, 2013, 5:17:45 PM10/6/13
P.S. -- For regaining access to accounts (old or new), here are the links to use to get a new password:

And for those of you with Google accounts, make sure you've added in account recovery info!!!  We Googlers have no ability to look up passwords, so if you lose your password and haven't added any recovery options (backup email addresses, mobile phone numbers), you risk losing access to all your photos and email and everything :-(

Lady GooGoo La La

Oct 7, 2013, 2:27:55 AM10/7/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
This ought to be fun..........sparks shootin out of this thread title............the fireworks will begin soon.

Lady GooGoo La La

~Marlene~

Oct 7, 2013, 5:20:38 AM10/7/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam,
I have a google email account, but I don't want my Panoramio notifications going to that address. I use it for other specific mail. Will I still be able to use my current email address for those notifications?

On Sunday, October 6, 2013 5:08:48 PM UTC-4, Adam Lasnik wrote:
Hi there,

The vast majority of you are already signing into Panoramio with your Google account email address and password.  In the next week or two, we're going to require all Panoramio members to log in with their Google account as well.

[...]

Hans Sterkendries

Oct 7, 2013, 10:06:10 AM10/7/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Marlene, same here. I have a Google account that simply uses my regular mail address... Adam, I do believe this is the biggest concern about Google accounts and this should come forward in your communication.

hvbemmel

Oct 7, 2013, 10:38:15 AM10/7/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
In the beginning of G accounts it was possible to open it with a regular, non Gmail address, This has nothing to do with the Panoramio inlog and I think the answer will have to come from Google accounts. (something like: we prefer of course etc.)

Adam Lasnik

Oct 7, 2013, 3:22:22 PM10/7/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Panoramio notifications will go to whatever address is listed as the primary one at https://www.google.com/settings/account.  It's not possible to change that address.

1) If you haven't already created a Google account, you can do so at http://www.google.com/account, and if you prefer not to use a Gmail address, you can click on the link there that reads "I prefer to use my current email address."
2) If you have already created a Google account but you'd rather Panoramio notifications go to a different address, your best bet is to set up a simple filter rule in Gmail to forward such mail to whatever address you prefer.

I will edit my original post to note this; thanks for the input!

Jan Sognnes

Oct 7, 2013, 5:18:15 PM10/7/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam

I have a Google account that uses my regular mail address (not a gmail.com mail adress). Will it still be possible to use this Google account for Panoramio ?

Den søndag den 6. oktober 2013 23.08.48 UTC+2 skrev Adam Lasnik:
[...]

    Adam Lasnik

    Oct 7, 2013, 5:19:49 PM10/7/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    Absolutely, Jan!  We realize not everyone necessarily wants a Gmail account.  Thanks for checking.

    Pierre Mirosa

    Oct 13, 2013, 2:55:45 AM10/13/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    Yas Adam ! I notice that Google looks like more and more in big brother. What begins moreover to raise them problems with the European Commission....
    Thus it is necessary to understand that a Google globalization frightens people; we go to a shape of totalitarianism regarding internet communication..
    I am very a philosopher this morning... I need a little more coffee !

    Have A Nice Day !

    Iezhitsa

    Oct 15, 2013, 4:15:29 AM10/15/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

    Dear Sir

    I tried many times unsuccessfully to log in into my Panotamio account http://www.panoramio.com/user/2812287 that I have opened long time ago with my @yandex.ru e-mail. Now I have new Google account that would like to match with old. Function “If you forgot your password, you need to choose a new one by clicking here” didn’t help. It didn’t recognized my login or/and password. Please help me to match http://www.panoramio.com/user/2812287 and my newly created https://ssl.panoramio.com/user/7960868

    Best regards

    Igor

    RoarX

    Oct 15, 2013, 2:41:07 PM10/15/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

    Hi Lezhitsa.

    I think you should read this thread. It seem to be the same problem.
    Message has been deleted

    Adam Lasnik

    Oct 23, 2013, 2:26:04 PM10/23/13
    Pierre, I prefer to think of us as a friendly, medium-sized brother, but more seriously, I understand and respect the concerns (and I hope you got more coffee!)

    Igor, sorry you're having trouble logging in!  Please make sure you're using this reset password link:  https://ssl.panoramio.com/forgot_password/legacy (there are two different links, and only that one will work for you).  I confirmed that your 2812287 account is indeed connected to your yandex.ru address.

    And everyone, please note that we've delayed the Google-account-required date until November; sorry for the confusion.

    Oct 25, 2013, 7:08:29 AM10/25/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    Thanks for the concern google, it's appreciated, I really love the usefullness of having the choice to be forced to """upgrade""".

    Adam Lasnik

    Oct 28, 2013, 6:26:29 PM10/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    Ξ, we've held off requiring this for years, but decided firmly that we have to dedicate resources to the vast majority of active Panoramio members rather than split our resources supporting two different sign-in systems.

    With that said, we're actually going to delay this requirement 'til at least mid-November.

    merkdoolittle

    Oct 28, 2013, 8:41:51 PM10/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    i have an account that i now can't get into.  i should delete it but don't know how.  sorry for this trouble.  got caught napping.  what do i do?

    Curate

    Oct 29, 2013, 8:40:33 AM10/29/13

    On Sunday, October 6, 2013 10:08:48 PM UTC+1, Adam Lasnik wrote:
    Hi there,

    The vast majority of you are already signing into Panoramio with your Google account email address and password.  In the next week or two, we're going to require all Panoramio members to log in with their Google account as well.

    <snip>

    I've tried to be a good boy, and to comply withAdam's suggestion have attempted change from an old MS Live address to my current Gmail address..  However, whenever I try this, I am told that:
    Sorry, a Gmail address is not allowed to be the primary address of this account
    Huh? I am perhaps being stupid?

    David

    Boris Gjenero

    Oct 29, 2013, 5:10:07 PM10/29/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    I was unable to log in to my Panoramio account today. I don't think I forgot my password. I reset it via https://ssl.panoramio.com/forgot_password/legacy and I still couldn't log in. I know I wasn't typing in the wrong password, because I even tried copying and pasting it.

    Fortunately, after I logged in with my Google account I was able to link my Panoramio account using the password I set. So, everything is fine now for me.

    I hope there will be some attempt to notify people who still didn't link a Google account, so that they don't waste time wondering why they're unable to log in, and searching for a fix.

    hvbemmel

    Oct 30, 2013, 1:12:06 AM10/30/13
    Are you writing with from that account now? https://ssl.panoramio.com/user/4394791

    I guess that´s a yes, you can not use this forum without a G account, which means you already have a Google account with your ms live address as primary mail. You can change that to your gmail address at https://www.google.com/settings/account

    Lomno

    Oct 30, 2013, 4:14:26 AM10/30/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    @Curate;
    I know what you mean I have the problem myself. I could not change the primary address (from my provider). However the Google account (you use now writing this) uses your MS live address. Otherwise you could not be writing her. So I created a Ymail account and use that as secundary address. This way you always can sign in. To make everything more complicated I created a new Google account for everything else than Panoramio. This way I'm not dependent on my provider if I want to change.
    Now we only have to wait for a sollution where we can bundle everything we use and can sign in the way we choose our selves.

    hvbemmel

    Oct 30, 2013, 4:44:59 AM10/30/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

    Lomno

    Oct 30, 2013, 10:22:10 AM10/30/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    @hvbemmel;
    This is really a useful link. I'm not a + user (yet), but I guess it would work anyway.
    Enjoy your evening.

    Tomas K☼h☼ut

    Oct 30, 2013, 2:59:52 PM10/30/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    David, I guess your situation is:

    - You have Google Account based on MS Live email. (let's call it Account A and email A)
    - You have also Gmail email (let's call it email B).
    - You tried to change primary address of your Google Account A to email B. (You can see a link for changing primary address).
    - When you tried, you've got error message Gmail address is not allowed to be the primary address of this account

    I think problem is here:
    Very likely, your email B is already bound to another Google Account (let's call it Account B), as now you cannot create gmail address without creating Google account at the same time. So correct and self explanatory error message shall be: "You cannot change primary email address to this address, it is already used by another Google Account".

    If your MS Live email address is your private address, there is no real need to change it.
    Only problem are email addresses from exotic provider, which are likely to discontinue their service.
    Or business email addresses (from employers), which can be changed or you can lose access to it.

    Bayke de Vries

    Oct 30, 2013, 3:50:45 PM10/30/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    Why?
    • Account recovery:  Panoramio members have more and easier options for recovering their account when they're using a Google account if they forget their password (backup email address, recovery info sent to phone, etc.)

    It's shame that the account recovery procedure for Panoramio is flawed!

    Some time ago one of Google personal data gathering windows popped up on you tube.
    An annoyed person using my computer filled out some random birthday resulting in me being too young to have an Google account.
    Immediately everything was locked out and my Panoramio account disappeared into thin air.
    I know Google wants to try and keep children away from potentially harming content.
    Besides the fact that I doubt that there is any such content on Panoramio Google has no real way of verifying a persons age.
    Google has a procedure for reactivating the account, and I ended up sending them a copy of my drivers license. (They have now way of verifying that license)
    If it wasn't for me enjoining Panoramio I would have given up on Google. They really got under my skin!
    My restored account lost all of it's favorites and some profile setting.

    hvbemmel

    Oct 31, 2013, 1:27:49 AM10/31/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    With all due respect Bayke, when i give the keys of my car to someone else I can´t blame General Motors when I find my car wrecked.

    As far as I know it´s not Google "wanting" to remove galleries from people under 14, but they have to, according to American / Californian law. It will not come cheap when someone sues them so they are very careful there.

    Until not so long ago, somewhat more then a year I think, your Panoramio account would have been lost entirely. Since the recovery possibilities of Google, the Panoramio account also can be largely recovered (within a reasonable time, certainly not months)

    I think this is a reminder to everybody not letting your account, any account, not even your bank account :-),  in the hands of someone else. If it is for your grandchildren to play with, just make an extra Google account, where nothing is lost when it get´s deleted. We all are responsible for our own accounts!

    Patrick O'Connor

      theverbiage

      Nov 13, 2013, 8:46:00 PM11/13/13
      Sorry guys, have zero (subzero, even) interest in social media, don't have a Google+ account, and that is not changing. At least for now. It was good while it lasted (well, it was good until about a couple of years ago), so long and thanks for all the fish!

      I don't mind using my Google account to log on to Panoramio (I have been doing just that for some time now), it's just that I'm no longer able to find the "upload" button, which, I assume, implies that I have to log on to/create an account on Google+ to get that functionality back. And that's not happening.

      hvbemmel

      Nov 14, 2013, 12:38:10 AM11/14/13
      to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
      Did you try to click the camera in the right upper corner? The + there stands for adding photos BTW, not for G+ ;-)

      The Google+ account is just for expanding the range of people that will see your photos, if you don´t want that, you don´t have to upgrade. If you do upgrade nobody will be forcing you to use the "social" part of G+, which  I hate as much as, apparently, you do

      Evan Rapoport

      Nov 20, 2013, 4:36:04 PM11/20/13
      to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
      A Google+ account makes your *Google* experience better, so if you don't want to use it as a social network, then don't. I'm sad to hear that misunderstandings about what Google+ is and isn't would impact people's decision to contribute to Panoramio and Google Earth. Please let me know your concerns specifically here and I'll try to address them.

      Luud Old

      Nov 20, 2013, 5:15:03 PM11/20/13
      to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
      Evan ,
      give me one good reason why I should trust google.
      Until now they have proven to be a completely unreliable partner.
      Making inaccessible from my main account indicates a lack of respect for the hard work on our part. In order not to speak of ordinary theft.

      HikingMike, hikingmike.com

      Nov 20, 2013, 8:03:03 PM11/20/13
      to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
      @Luud Old
      In the end Google is a business. They make money from advertising due to user participation - also through lots of indirect means. Perhaps using our Panoramio pictures on Google Maps causes more people to use Google Maps, etc. This does require a partnership with users. They set up a neat place for us to upload photos, GPS tagged, and they show up in Google Earth and Maps. That's cool stuff and attracts users. There actually aren't any ads on Panoramio as well that I know of, and Google Earth geotagged images have no upload limits. It's up there in features with competing free services, and the Google Earth/Maps feature is something that isn't matched.

      The small cost to you right now is creating a Google account. It doesn't need to be Google+, though they do ask for more information than they have before. There are ways to sign up without making your account a Google+ account, and you can always remove the Google+ later as well. You don't have to like it but Google can choose to do this for business reasons. As a developer myself I know that cleaning up old stuff to work the better new way is often important, especially for future work.

      Now we'll have another argument if they force everyone to use Google+.

      Pierre Mirosa

      Nov 21, 2013, 1:35:41 PM11/21/13
      to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
      As I have already said it in a discussion; it is similar to the totalitarianism: remind you the book 1984...

      Luud Old

      Nov 21, 2013, 5:37:33 PM11/21/13
      to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
      Nice effort for a relatively new user.
      I am a member since 2007 and I know a bit of history.
      The discussions were at the time give an completely different picture!
      Unfortunately, I can no longer find these discussion  threads in the forum
      I have a Google account, but there is no room for my second account !
      They have make it my problem !
      The remark of Pierre speaks more to me.
      That is precisely why my question was directed to Evan.

      Evan Rapoport

      Nov 21, 2013, 7:30:52 PM11/21/13
      to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
      Hi everyone,

      We appreciate all your help as we try our best to make Panoramio even better. On other threads I've written some updates about improvements we're making based on your feedback. Since this thread is about Google accounts, I won't address them here.

      Luud Old:
      Thanks for being such a long-time member. I just checked out your gallery and you have some beautiful photos! I particularly love the one of the elephants. Please help me understand here, what do you mean by, "I have a Google account, but there is no room for my second account!"? I'd like to help here as much as possible.

      Thanks everyone for your patience as we work through all this.

      Cheers,
      Evan

      Pierre Mirosa

      Nov 21, 2013, 9:45:47 PM11/21/13
      to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

      hi everybody !

      To protect and divide up our life (and yes, some of us are not followers of networks such as FB), it will be necessary to create several Google accounts.
       For example  : pierre.panoramio@gmail  for   panoramio

                             pierre.drive@gmail          for   drive
                             pierre.youtube@gmail     for YouTube

      It's just an example

      But if everybody makes it, how googles is going to manage this massive arrival of accounts??

      in france we said " on ne met pas tous les oeufs dans le même panier" ; good proverb

      Good night Pano's friends !

      Pierre

      Tomas K☼h☼ut

      Nov 21, 2013, 9:59:11 PM11/21/13

      On Friday, November 22, 2013 3:45:47 AM UTC+1, Pierre Mirosa wrote:

      hi everybody !

      To protect and divide up our life (and yes, some of us are not followers of networks such as FB), it will be necessary to create several Google accounts.

      For those who don't want to have their Panoramio activity and profile connected with other Google services (for whatever reason), this is absolutely valid and recommended solution. Google is fine about it. ;-)

      But if everybody makes it, how googles is going to manage this massive arrival of accounts??

      I think Google will handle this without problems.
      Unless you mean some "abusive" creation of accounts, not for real purpose... and I guess, this will Google handle without problems too. ;-)))

      in france we said " on ne met pas tous les oeufs dans le même panier" ; good proverb

      Yeah, true...  "Don't put all the eggs into one basket!". Good practice for real life, not only for Panoramio.

      ~Marlene~

      Lady GooGoo La La

      Nov 22, 2013, 4:32:21 AM11/22/13
      to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
      Good idea Marlene, one of the ramifications of one password for all of Google is security.....if there is a security leak anywhere in the Google family of services all your private information is now exposed.

      The most secure systems are compartmentalized and isolated.

      Lady GooGoo LaLa

      Luud Old

      Nov 22, 2013, 3:42:12 PM11/22/13
      to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

      Evan, thanks for your kind and prompt response.

      In panoramio I have / had  two accounts .

      With my  ( Luud Old ) account  I have no problems because of my Google Account .

      My main account (Luud Riphagen)   http://www.panoramio.com/user/523564     is publicly visible but not to manage by myself.

      Evan Rapoport

      Nov 22, 2013, 5:07:34 PM11/22/13
      to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
      Luud Old (or should I call you "Luud"?):
      For your "Luud Riphagen" account, are you saying that you can't login? Or that someone else manages it as well? You've got quite a diversity of interesting images in this account :)

      Luud Old

      Nov 22, 2013, 5:30:08 PM11/22/13
      Thank you Evan ,

      I can't login
      cheers, Luud

      G.Iaria

      Nov 24, 2013, 2:25:45 PM11/24/13
      Hi there,
      I had an old (non google) panoramio account, this one: http://www.panoramio.com/user/380787 but now I'm no longer able to log in with it.
      I had also a google account, this one: http://www.panoramio.com/user/7937957
      Given that is no longer possible to log in with the old (non-google) account, I want to unify the two panoramio accounts, in order to log in and use only the google account.
      Is it possible?
      Thanks for your help.
      Best wishes,
      G. Iaria

      Draken

      Nov 24, 2013, 3:30:06 PM11/24/13
      to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
      If you still have the email account for the original Panoramio account and still remember the password you should proceed as explained in the FAQ. That is to say: delete the 7937957 account (in settings), try logging in with your email account and password.

      To avoid problems please empty the cache and delete the cookies prior to logging in.

      ing.giuse...@gmail.com

      Nov 25, 2013, 10:52:20 AM11/25/13
      Hi Draken,
      I did as you suggested, in details:
      1. deleted the new panoramio-google account http://www.panoramio.com/user/7937957
      2. tried to make a new panoramio-google account selecting the option "I'm already a panoramio user"
      3. wrote in email and password of old panoramio account http://www.panoramio.com/user/380787
      4. pressed the button "Connect accounts".
      The result is this message: "Failed Signup or Upgrade. You cannot use a Google Account that has been previously used with Panoramio."

      At the moment there is still no way for me to log-in with the old panoramio account http://www.panoramio.com/user/380787, as I try to log-in it appears this message: "You can only use this function if you have a non-upgraded account."

      Is there any possibility to gain access to my old account and to eventually link them to a new panoramio-google account?
      I do not have the slightest intention to upload all my photos again.

      I don't know how to define this situation: comic or foolish.
      I'm the owner of the account but I can't have access to it anymore, can't manage it and all my photos already uploaded.

      hvbemmel

      Nov 25, 2013, 11:02:07 AM11/25/13
      to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
      make sure you are signed in to a Goolge account which is not connected with Panoramio

      go to https://ssl.panoramio.com/signin/legacy
      sign in with the email and password you normally use for Panoramio
      you will be asked to upgrade to your Google account
      follow the steps.

      ing.giuse...@gmail.com

      Nov 25, 2013, 11:22:02 AM11/25/13
      Hi Herman,
      At the moment I have a Google account not connected to panoramio, because I just deleted the last one (this: http://www.panoramio.com/user/7937957)
      I followed the steps you wrote, trying to sign in in this page with email and password of my old panoramio account (this: http://www.panoramio.com/user/380787) and the results, as I wrote before, is this message:

      Legacy account required

      You can only use this function if you have a non-upgraded account.

      Pfirti :-)

      hvbemmel

      Nov 25, 2013, 11:24:39 AM11/25/13
      So this means your account is already upgraded to a Google account. Try to sign in with your "old" email address and password on a Google account. If you cannot retrieve the email you used to attach the Panoramio account (because you used an other one), we can ask the team which email address is attached to this Panoramio account. So if it works please let me know here, otherwise write me a PM so we can exchange email addresses and try to solve the problem outside the public space.

      ing.giuse...@gmail.com

      Nov 25, 2013, 11:52:29 AM11/25/13
      First of all thanks for your willingness Herman,
      I can not retrieve the "old email" I used to attach the Panoramio account, it was such a long time ago...
      I don't know how to send PM, so I give you my current email address: -edit-hvb- in order to fix the problem privately.
      Greetings,
      G. Iaria

      cee cee mohazin

      Nov 25, 2013, 9:11:25 PM11/25/13
      to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
      Dear Adam,

      Thanks for your information.

      Why Panoramio Photo nos are not shown now a days??

      One of my photo not entering in Google Earth; where can I approach to how can send again my request
      On Monday, October 7, 2013 12:08:48 AM UTC+3, Adam Lasnik wrote:
[...]

      Draken

      Nov 26, 2013, 5:12:52 AM11/26/13

      El lunes, 25 de noviembre de 2013 23:11:25 UTC-3, cee cee mohazin escribió:
      Dear Adam,

      Thanks for your information.

      Why Panoramio Photo nos are not shown now a days??

      cee cee mohazin

      Please stick to the subject. If you need to pose a question unrelated to the subject of this thread please browse the forum to check whether the question has been asked before and if it hasn't open a new thread. Thanks

      normand richard

      Jan 17, 2014, 9:30:57 AM1/17/14
      to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
      Hello Adam

      How do I get my GMail?

      Can't find the link to it.

      Norm

      df3vi

      Jan 17, 2014, 3:32:54 PM1/17/14
      to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
      Click on the icon with the nine small squares in the upper right of this menu bar.
      A balloon window opens, and Gmail is in the bottom left.

      Geniene Prater

      Jan 25, 2014, 10:08:32 AM1/25/14
      to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
      so they buggered up Youtube by forcing us to sign in with a Google Plus profile, making commenting on videos nothing short of a nightmare, and  now they are doing it to Panoramio.  NOT GOOD GOOGLE not good at all.

      I uploaded many photos for Google to use on Google Earth I had no problem with that, as I believe it helps people get an idea of the area they may want to travel to. but this is just too complicated now. photos I have on panoramio are now harder for me to see,  IT IS A MESS If I wanted my photos to be seen on Google + I would have uploaded them there.  so tempted now to remove all of my photos

      hvbemmel

      Jan 25, 2014, 10:22:01 AM1/25/14
      to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
      This thread is about mandatory upgrading to a Google account. Most active users already have that, because without it certain features, like groups or this forum, do not work.

      Upgrading Panoramio to a Google+ account is promoted by the team, but not mandatory (yet?). Until now nobody was able to tell me the positive effects of such an upgrade though.

      we are talking about three accounts here, Panoramio, Google and Google+, which can make it rather confusing. So if you don´t want to connect Panoramio with Google+, just don´t.

      davidcmc58

      Feb 3, 2014, 11:22:49 PM2/3/14
      to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
      I have two Panoramio accounts. This main one I am using now has always been associated with my Gmail and Google account and thus is no problem. My second account davidcmc58-1, however, with opened with my Yahoo email. I can no longer access it at this point. There must be many many "locked" accounts within Panoramio such as my second account. What's the team's approach regarding them? Will all the non-Google Pano accounts be deleted at a later time?

      hvbemmel

      Feb 4, 2014, 12:23:39 AM2/4/14
      to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
      For there moment the policy for not upgraded accounts is not clear yet, the team still is discussing that according to my latest info. So for the time being they certainly will be safe.

      Having said that, there are also many users that have a second PA account attached to a second Google account, I know I do. Just make an other Google account and open it . (for the signing up you´d better use an other browser, so nothing can get mixed up (not technically, but just at your side). You can use the yahoo mail, but be sure this is still functional, they normally get closed after a year not being used. You can use it to sign in to Panoramio though.
      be sure that you are signed in to this new Google account.
      Go to https://ssl.panoramio.com/signin/legacy and sign in to your Panoramio account using your yahoo email. follow the steps to attach this account to your new Google account and Bob´s your uncle.

      davidcmc58

      Feb 4, 2014, 1:39:20 AM2/4/14
      to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
      Herman, I appreciate your very fast response and the tips regarding legacy accounts. If opening a second Google account is the only way to gain access to my legacy account, I will choose to just stand by for now. It seems that a second Google account that I will barely use is a waste of resources for Google and waste of my efforts. Luckily my second account is tiny (only 2 pages), The smart thing to do might just be letting it fade away............

      Hours.ahmedhousein

      May 1, 2016, 4:05:15 PM5/1/16
      to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
      I have the same problem my ahmeds...@gmail.com Username ahmedhousein http://www.panoramio.com/user/7936322

      hvbemmel

      May 1, 2016, 11:59:00 PM5/1/16
      to Panoramio Help Forum (Support & feedback)
      please don´t repeat messages, 1 is enough