Pumpkin Pie design update

Adam Lasnik

Nov 27, 2013, 4:49:45 PM11/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Updated, based on your feedback...
  • New responsive design that adjusts to the width of the window
  • New row-based layout that better showcases panoramic / landscape photos
  • Photo titles now appear only on hover
  • Link from photos on groups pages now go to the photos page, instead of the photo explorer
  • A single click lets you add all your favorite photographers who have signed up to Google+ to a circle
Enjoy, and for those of you who celebrate it, Happy Thanksgiving!

Tucky

Nov 27, 2013, 5:51:57 PM11/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I've seen it, a good progress.

+1

phamhoanghai

Nov 27, 2013, 6:02:43 PM11/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
A pleasant surprise to visit panoramio today. Glad to see the response from our feedback. It's much better after the update.
Bravo to Adam and the developer team !
You're getting there.
Keep up the good work !

agracier

Nov 27, 2013, 6:09:02 PM11/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Why did you change to adjust to evenly spaced height for ll photos? The previous 'new' layout gave more variation to the look of the page. There was none of that rectangular sameness about the layout. No offense meant, but this newest layout is a step back. It looks old fashioned and far too clunky.

It may be asking a lot, but is it not possible to provide options for choosing different layouts? I've gone to great trouble posting vertical photos that alternate with square and horizontal and now the whole look is messed up.

And as a last aside - I see that still not all groups have an 'add' button next to them. Shouldn't this be fixed first before tinkering with the layout?

Shain Paiment

Nov 27, 2013, 6:09:59 PM11/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
unpleasant  surprise today  , I see half of the 1st page on anyone's account and I can't go to the 2nd, HELP  go back to the way it was. :(

Adam Lasnik

Nov 27, 2013, 6:13:22 PM11/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Tucky, phamhoanghai, thank you for the kind words and encouragement; much appreciated!

agracier, thank you for the feedback!  We'll see what we can do, though we're generally averse to adding more settings.

Shain, I'm sorry to hear of the troubles!  Could you please let us know what OS and browser you're using (e.g., Chrome Version 32.0.1700.19 beta for Mac)?  We tested this on a lot of different platforms, but definitely didn't come across something like that.

Roger Powell

Nov 27, 2013, 6:17:27 PM11/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
  • New responsive design that adjusts to the width of the window
The new look is a good response to all of the negative comments. It looks much smarter.
  • Photo titles now appear only on hover
I do not get this feature. I still see the titles as ribbons at the bottom of each image as before.

Wim Constant

Nov 27, 2013, 6:31:05 PM11/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Roger, I thought it was the same with me, but it seems only your OWN photos have the title and the Panoramio logo (if selected for GE) always visible. If you go to someone else's page the title only appears on hover.

agracier

Nov 27, 2013, 6:33:46 PM11/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
The new design would look at least somewhat better if a fixed height were used for every row ... as it now works, the height rows are apparently variable and many vertical and also square shaped photos become inappropriately small compared to other similarly orientated photos on other rows.

This makes the page look out of proportion somehow. Why not just use fixed heights for all rows? Sites like Flickr have their layout in that manner and while the horizontal layout of rows is not all that appealing, at least they keep their rows a constant height.

I've also noticed that with ctrl+ that the page expands beyond the screen width of a monitor. Shouldn't it be limited so that the map/tags/favorite photographers/groups always remain visible on the monitor, while only photos increase/decrease in size?

Wim Constant

Nov 27, 2013, 6:44:39 PM11/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Hi, agracier, You say: "Sites like Flickr have their layout in that manner and while the horizontal layout of rows is not all that appealing, at least they keep their rows a constant height."
Well, Flickr also has variable heights. Look at the middle of my Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/101861343@N04/ There is a panorama and two "normal" photos,
These three photos have a different height than all the others.
I must say I like the Panoramio layout better.

SteveT

Nov 28, 2013, 7:57:33 AM11/28/13
Sorry  Adam, this a further retrograde step for me. I have a lot of different aspect ration photos and it's just not working. On a 24" 1920x1200 monitor at times there are only two columns of landscape thumbnails. Sometimes some other pages of photos are scrunched up. For the various wide panorama shots tend to appear with mixed results. On an Android phone there is only a single column of thumbs. Admittedly it's nice to see large thumbs but for a photo page it just does not work. It's was better before this change, and for a wide screen monitor it just does not use the space properly at all.

As for the hover titles that only disappear when logged out. If that's the way it has to be then at least when hovering could we see the full title and not just a truncated version.

Cheers
Stephen
Will post screen shots tomorrow if wanted.

Shain Paiment

Nov 27, 2013, 6:51:18 PM11/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

Works good with Google chrome but not Internet Explorer. I don't like Chrome, still unhappy, but i'll make due of now.

Tucky

Nov 27, 2013, 7:00:19 PM11/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
But Flickr has a better algorithm to represent different width images.
(With not the same height, but almost the same image height).

Jacenty

Nov 27, 2013, 7:11:24 PM11/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Oh my, oh my,
What is this?  Each new version is worse than the previous one.
  • Now as I watch someone's page, to see the title, I have to hover mouse over each image.
  • Thumbnails of wide panoramas are pixelated.
  • In IE thumbnails are out of proportions, and the page looks terrible:

Shain Paiment

Nov 27, 2013, 7:26:59 PM11/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

Tags don't work and grouping pics on you groups still has some groups that have on ADD or REMOVE button.  I still would like to have a button to go back to the old Panoramio.

Adam Lasnik

Nov 27, 2013, 7:29:13 PM11/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Wim, thanks, exactly right! (that captions show on hover for everyone else's page but your own... intended behavior :)

Agracier, SteveT, appreciate the feedback.

Shain, Jacenty, could you please note which version of IE you're using?  Thanks!

Roger Powell

Nov 27, 2013, 7:49:15 PM11/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

OK, I understand the hovering is deliberately not included on the person's home page. Thanks, Wim, for the explanation.

However, I seem to have lost all ability to manipulate tags.

Roger Heath

Nov 27, 2013, 9:09:43 PM11/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Adam - I went to one of my Groups and clicked on an image which usually brings one to the slide show page. That then has arrows for forward and backward as a slide show. Now when clicking on the image one is taken to the individual image page, so no slide show of group images. What used to be one click is now three clicks to see a fullscreen image from a group page, then one must back out of it.
This in the Panoramio Classic. I find the new last version so distasteful I stay away from clicking on any link to the new versions.

Maybe I'll take a look at the Newest and see if that works.

Roger Heath

Nov 27, 2013, 9:22:06 PM11/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Nah! Now the verticals are half the size of the horizontals, two horizontals per line, four verticals. Still no slide show possible in groups and they are still out of sequence which destroys the fun and purpose of many groups where people associate or Domino images.

I have learned so much about culture and other countries through these group that it's a shame they will no longer work after the Classic is killed off for good.

Good about newest version white between images. Hovering over images to see the title is pointless for pages that have 24 images. I still can;t figure out why the titles can;t be outside the image area. Hovering is something that has been hoisted on the public and only serves programmers, all others must move their cursors all over web pages in a mission to discover hidden information. Personally I could live without hovering for the rest of my life. People on the Discussion Boards are constantly being told to click on things that are links but there's nothing intuitive about people finding those links. So it goes in the modern world of computer use. Hide the easy things and make it difficult to view and move between pages.

mbe21 - offline

Nov 27, 2013, 9:35:43 PM11/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Its true what they say about keeping all the people happy all the time :) As a fan of the original classic layout, I have to say that the latest layout is a vast improvement and would seem to address most of concerns expressed by members over the last few months.  I just hope classic view keep working in the background.  Mick

thinsing

Nov 27, 2013, 10:26:26 PM11/27/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
+1

~Marlene~

Nov 28, 2013, 1:30:58 AM11/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I'm still disappointed… Although it looks somewhat better to me, the vertical images are now way too small and seem lost on the page. You also can't get the title, GE & view info on an image this small. You have to open the page to read it. And my biggest disappointment is that the tags are not under each photo. I will forgo tags if this is permanent. It's too time consuming to tag each photo individually.  Also, the thumbnail photos in conversations may as well not be there. They are just small square blurs to me! A casual viewer on the website may do just fine, but for a user, it is still very hard to navigate & actually use.

hvbemmel

Nov 28, 2013, 1:51:03 AM11/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
On a first impression, I like it.

It looks a lot calmer to the eyes. I don´t mind the vertical photos being a little bit smaller as in the classic design. It are previews, I want people to look at the bigger picture (no pun intended).

Take it easy on the turkey!

davidcmc58

Nov 28, 2013, 3:47:19 AM11/28/13
A thumb up for the team from me. This "turkey version" of the redesigned Panoramio is actually better looking than not only the Rev1 & Rev2 new Pano but the classic Pano as well. However, the classic Pano still wins big in terms of features. The team ought to know which features are lacking with the new design better than anyone else (tags, look arounds, and many many others). I urge the team to bring back as many classic Pano features as possible sometime down the road. Not perfect yet but definitely a step in the right direction. Thanks to the team for listening to our complaints and suggestions.

Lady GooGoo La La

Nov 28, 2013, 4:22:57 AM11/28/13
Congratulations, Adem and Evan and the rest of the team for addressing issues raised by users. I happily accept my pessimism wasnt warranted.

One question, if I change my best, photos to accommodate the new design preference will the other photo sizes change to optimize the display?

No pleasing some people, is it feasible to allow a toggle between the two configurations, as they have preference for different aspect ratios.
Actually showing the larger thumbnails may mean lower view counts since viewers probably not bother to go to the photo page, unless to comment.

Good job, some faith restored to team Google.

Lady GooGoo LaLa

I appreciate the challenge of designing at interface that optimizes shapes and sizes for many different browsers and screen sizes and aspect ratios.

agracier

Nov 28, 2013, 3:48:53 AM11/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
I've also noticed that on some pages, there will be a white area/space underneath the bottom row of photos in which there is nothing to be seen. Then, with the height of 2 or even 3 rows of photos, more page information appears, the navigation between pages links and then conversations ...

I don't understand why there is such a large open area left white. It serves no purpose visually and for a casual browser, it appears as if the page is finished or as if the collection of photos is at an end.

Shouldn't the row of photos extend until the page links and conversations appear on the page? Visually it looks like a book being printed with too much of a page left blank.

sixten_imgs

Nov 28, 2013, 3:58:05 AM11/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Adam.

The IE issue: At least here the IE 10 and IE 11 both show the photos catastrophically stretched, only one or two photos per line.

On my favorite photographer's page some of the photos also are shown on the top of each other.

The new design: with the other browsers most of the photos look still better than they were in the classic design (or should we call it the ancient one...) .

IMO the best new thing is the linking from the group thumbnails straight to the photo page. That makes it easier to comment the photos. Nice.

The Man in the Maze™

Nov 28, 2013, 5:00:50 AM11/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Oh my, oh what happened this morning,
What is this?  THis new Panoramio version is worse than the previous one.

  • Thumbnails of pictures are deform and enlarged and out of proportions, and the page looks very bad
I use windows 8.1

what shall I do?

I attach here what I see on the screen

The Man in the Maze™

Nov 28, 2013, 5:35:40 AM11/28/13

Terrible surprise, this is how Panoramio appears on my screen this morning with deform images!

I use windows version 8.1

:-(

PS. Since the new version (now disappeared) started I no longer receive private messages and notifications when a Pano-user comment on my photos gallery so I cannot read private message unless you email me at viccleaf at gmail.com

I have no idea of what to do to enjoy Panoramio at the moment!

fl☃cke

Nov 28, 2013, 5:38:53 AM11/28/13
Hi Adam, it seems better than before but still I can-t find favorite photos and the comment pictures are TOO SMALL ;) !!  You need an xxl looking glass to see what they are  - that is a shame because they are or rather were a vital part of PA ... Also the arrows for the picture show don-t work - pictures keep jumping down ... Happy pumpkin & turkey day !!

PS - also no link to group invitations ?!  (Windows 7 & Mozilla)

sixten_imgs

Nov 28, 2013, 5:21:59 AM11/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Vic, it seems to be a severe Internet Explorer problem. Maybe so severe that the newest design should have been pulled back right away for some further design.

I'm afraid the users who do not use the IE should not be very happy either. Namely, it may be possible that every fifth of their possible "customers" are now seeing the Panoramio photos like your example shows.

That's kind of sad...

torstai, 28. marraskuuta 2013 12.05.04 UTC+2 The Man in the Maze™ kirjoitti:

Terrible surprise, this is how Panoramio appears on my screen this morning with deform images!

The Man in the Maze™

Nov 28, 2013, 5:33:08 AM11/28/13
I have the same horrible design view as Jacenty - here gives you an idea on how see my gallery right now

Any suggestion or help is appreciated

Vic

The Man in the Maze™

Nov 28, 2013, 6:09:22 AM11/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Vic, it seems to be a severe Internet Explorer problem. Maybe so severe that the newest design should have been pulled back right away for some further design. I'm afraid the users who do not use the IE should not be very happy either. Namely, it ma
Vic, it seems to be a severe Internet Explorer problem. Maybe so severe that the newest design should have been pulled back right away for some further design.

I'm afraid the users who do not use the IE should not be very happy either. Namely, it may be possible that every fifth of their possible "customers" are now seeing the Panoramio photos like your example shows.

That's kind of sad...
Thank you for the bad news, at least I know it may be not only me experiencing this problem, but so what the solution?  Shall I use a different search engine, like Google chrome or Mozilla?

sixten_imgs

Nov 28, 2013, 6:26:39 AM11/28/13
I think that at least Chrome ( for some reason :) and Opera browsers show the photos in their real size, not stretched.

Opera's trouble still is that in it this map based service Panoramio does not show the map at all...

GyurIca

Nov 28, 2013, 7:50:53 AM11/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
You are right! Opera Torch, Google OK! but IE11 terrible! When I step in first then OK but second step all terrible!

2013. november 28., csütörtök 12:22:42 UTC+1 időpontban sixten_imgs a következőt írta:
I think that at least Chrome ( for some reason :) and Opera browsers show the photos in their real size, not stretched.

Opera's trouble still is that in it this map based service Panoramio does not show the map at all...

starMAN

Nov 28, 2013, 7:53:55 AM11/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

Hi Adam, the new design looks good on Chrome, although I cannot see how many view my vertical pictures have. In this Chrome version 31.0.1650.57 m, the hover is not working.

On IE, I am having a bad experience... version 10.9200.16736, pictures are messed up. Take a look.

IE 10.9200.16736 -->

In the third and 7th row, there is a picture above the other.

Thanks
MAN

hvbemmel

Nov 28, 2013, 7:55:57 AM11/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
The team will be working on the IE (11 in my case) problem after the weekend (holidays in the US)
I tried Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari and Comodo Dragon (basically Chrome) and they all work fine. Only drawback on Opera is viewing the explorer.

SteveT

Nov 28, 2013, 11:24:05 AM11/28/13
Here are three pages of problems under Chrome with the latest update to Panoramio

A thumbnail is nearly squeezed out on the top row and distortion is happening to some of the wide Panoramas

To be limited to only two columns of thumbnails on a 24" Monitor is not exactly what is required

This shows a large gap between last thumbnail and page numbers

Cheers

Stephen

Draken

Nov 28, 2013, 8:52:19 AM11/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Adam

A big thanks for the listening and  the feedback.

It goes to show there is no point in taking a hiperaggressive stance when changes are rolled in. I hope those very few users who only come to the forum just to deliver attacks take some time to reflect on their posts.

axking77

Nov 28, 2013, 8:52:31 AM11/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Hello Adam, finally a great throw for the design of the new Panoramio pages. The work, programming our personal thanks for the new layout. It's fun to consider themselves their own pages. Keep it up.

Galatas ©

Nov 28, 2013, 9:08:27 AM11/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
A slight improvement on what we had last week but there are still too many issues not resolved. The profile box is remains a complete mess. Only two columns of photos ??? Pathetic design.
I am rapidly losing patience with Panoramio. Once the classic view goes , so do I

SteveT

Nov 28, 2013, 9:26:38 AM11/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Hi Herman
I'm seeing distortion in the form of jpeg artefacts in Chrome as well, see below on the second row Panorama

http://www.panoramio.com/user/183521?comment_page=1&photo_page=8

Cheers

Stephen

hvbemmel

Nov 28, 2013, 9:46:36 AM11/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Ok Stephen. I wrote my post about the problems IE shows. The quality of the images is an other issue. we already alerted the team to look in to that.

Richard Forster

Nov 28, 2013, 10:16:53 AM11/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
The new design has displayed perfectly on my screens for months, but for the past few days does not. My 28 pages of photos are now unviewable. Only two pages appear on the navigation buttons at the bottom of the screen. Photos and descriptions now overlap. Something has changed in the past few days!
Message has been deleted

haut medoc

Nov 28, 2013, 10:41:50 AM11/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

Apart from the comments I have read I have noticed on my user page that a number of photos are missing from each page. Is this a consequence of not using google chrome?

Panamon-Creel

Nov 28, 2013, 10:47:12 AM11/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
haut, it is much better to give information about the browser you are actually using instead of the browser you are not using :)

SteveT

Nov 28, 2013, 10:52:40 AM11/28/13
to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
Cheers Herman- Just had a look at IE and seen some of the problems there- still some work to be done.

Stephen

df3vi

Dec 4, 2013, 7:16:18 AM12/4/13

Am Mittwoch, 27. November 2013 22:49:45 UTC+1 schrieb Adam Lasnik:
Updated, based on your feedback...
  • New responsive design that adjusts to the width of the window
Fine. However if you decrease the window width to a certain extent, the side panels (map, tag list, groups) "disappear" to the bottom of the page. Is this really intended?
  • New row-based layout that better showcases panoramic / landscape photos
Great - looks much smarter than before.
There is a little downside when very narrow portrait photos are shown on your own user gallery: they are not wide enough to show all the symbols or much of the title.
    • Photo titles now appear only on hover
    That's ok, but the font size is quite small, so not easy to read. Also the contrast to the light gray background is not so good. Can you improve that?
    • Link from photos on groups pages now go to the photos page, instead of the photo explorer
    Not a good idea. I see no way to go to a group slide show anymore. When I click on the photo, I'll be on that user's slide show! Where where your thought here? Please go back to the original function.
    • A single click lets you add all your favorite photographers who have signed up to Google+ to a circle
     Enjoy, and for those of you who celebrate it, Happy Thanksgiving!

     Thanks, and the same to you!

    SteveT

    Akanna

    Nov 28, 2013, 11:29:27 AM11/28/13
    This new layout is horrible!! When I see photos in any gallery (mine included) they're squished, stretched and sometimes merged together. Terrible step backwards!!

    Richard Forster

    Nov 28, 2013, 11:30:32 AM11/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    I am using explorer 10 - and all of these problems have just appeared within the past few days. Until then the new design displayed and worked perfectly.  When the page first loads for a few seconds, it displays correctly, then changes to the problematic view!

    motorhand

    Nov 28, 2013, 11:32:07 AM11/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    Pictures in a row is better than the vertical order.
    Hovering the title is a good idea, but I think a title could be very important for a picture.

    So I would like to ask if the title can be put under the picture (only one row, rest cut off).

    And in the hover could be the information about GE accepted, GE places, nº of views and nº of comments.

    Another question:
    could it make sense having more than 24 pictures at one page, perhaps 32 or 48 ?

    Best regards !
    Matthias

    Tomas K☼h☼ut

    Nov 28, 2013, 12:42:18 PM11/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    Hard to please everyone...
    I am trying to convince the team to implement at least two options for layout:

    - One "compact view" (this can be exactly what we got now)
    - second "comprehensive view" - with complete titles and all tags below the photos, possibly organized in fixed size (3 x 8) grid with fixed reserved size for grid elements (photos) and free vertical flow of titles and tags (as it was in Panoramio classic).

    This personal preferences shall be either selected under user setting, or a tool for changing layout could be provided as "quick switch" at toolbar (the way like gmail or google doc has).

    Graham Davey

    Nov 28, 2013, 12:43:03 PM11/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    In fairness I rarely look at my photo's in Panoramio but I was surprised this evening when I looked and found most of the s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d in landscape mode so much so that they were obscuring others (the edges of which could be seen behind them).  It was awful!

    I last looked at the page a week or two back and I thought the new layout was quite good.  What has been done since then?

    I'm hoping the changes you mention in the post below have not yet been processed (because of Thanksgiving?).  If they have, it's now worse!

    Sorry to be so negative but what I saw tonight was really bad.

    ♠ c0l0gne1 ♣

    Nov 28, 2013, 1:00:51 PM11/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    +1 for that, Tom!

    I would greatly prefer the comprehensive view because all my uploads have been in matching groups of three same sized photos. With the pumpkin pie design update my pages have lost their order and look a mess. I will refrain from uploading any more photos until I know which look is here to stay.

    Jacenty

    Nov 28, 2013, 1:06:29 PM11/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    I like your idea! But I'm afraid that is just a pipe dream :-(

    IIIека

    Nov 28, 2013, 1:13:45 PM11/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    Every update make Panoramio worse and uncomfortably.

    For test I upload horizontal and few vertical panorams. Look at this.

    It's impossible to see anything on it! No photo, no name, no number of views! Where is indicator, which show, that photo attached to map?

    Please, return old Panoramio, do not change it! It would be better to spend time adding new features than deface what already exists.

    Richard Forster

    Nov 28, 2013, 1:28:28 PM11/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    Hello - I checked my page using Chrome and it appears as it should. I checked my page on the laptop using IE11 and its a mess, however the navigation buttons for access to all my photos appear.

    I am highly suspicious of something Microsoft in their latest updates is the cause here. All of this has happened after last weeks numerous updates.

    Help us please.

    hvbemmel

    Nov 28, 2013, 1:41:56 PM11/28/13
    There are severe problems with the display of potos in

    Internet Explorer,
    independent of the version.

    The team is aware of this

    Please discuss issues that are not known already!

    Lomno

    Nov 28, 2013, 1:59:37 PM11/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    A plus for first impression and a big plus the involvement/feedback/visibility of the TEAM.
    As I personally upload my pictures in three's and try to tell a story that way I prefere three
    pictures in a row.
    Keep up the good work.

    laurence_cox

    Nov 28, 2013, 2:04:46 PM11/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    I have to say that I like the new new format better than the last attempt at a new format. Unless you are going to allow everyone to specify the layout and sizes of each photo there will inevitably be compromises and this seems to be a pretty good one.

    Pom'

    Nov 28, 2013, 3:34:04 PM11/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    dear designers carrying out funny experiments with our beloved Panoramio, I have a few questions... and some answers too

    question 1 : do horizontal pictures have a better dignity than vertical or square ones ?

    my answer is : "definitely not".

    then, why should they treated better by the new new new Panoramio layout, which torments vertical ones, and trivializes square ones ? (still, it's not looking as messy as it did in the most recent former new Panoramio funny experiment, nice move)

    waiting for an answer. and hoping we'll eventually be back to a solution like in classic Panoramio, the one I used to like, where all pictures did get the same dignity... and space.

    question 2 : is the new new new Panoramio designed (among other unknown goals) in order to eradicate tags ? because it has become so uneasy to deal with tags, that I'm thinking about erasing all my tags instead of getting mad trying to update them blindly. Please get them back under the pictures...

    question 3 : why the conversation space should be kept ? since we can't see anymore which picture is commented (unrecognizable thumbnails), and hardly can read what's said and by who (too tiny text), why shouldn't we go all the way and get rid of the comments part ?

    regards, pom'

    Draken

    Nov 28, 2013, 3:39:01 PM11/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    pom'

    Please tell me you are joking. Or aren't you?

    Pom'

    Nov 28, 2013, 3:48:25 PM11/28/13
    no Draken I'm not, well at least not totally. using FF the conversations under my first page of pictures are way less easy to follow than they used to be with classic Panoramio, especially because of these tiny and misshapen thumbnails, it's hard to understand when one of my pictures is commented, I don't recognize it at first sight as I used to ; I can't get used to these unrecognizable thumbnails, therefore it's hard to keep on being interested by this part of the layout.

    Draken

    Nov 28, 2013, 3:49:55 PM11/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    Well, conversation (interaction of users) is of utmost importance on Panoramio. A feature so significant that part of the success of this website is owned to it. So, if one doesn't like the new layout regarding the exchange of comments what should ask for is an improvement, but not its removal. Fortunately, the Team are well aware your opinion represents a tiny, tiny minority on Panoramio.

    Pom'

    Nov 28, 2013, 4:01:25 PM11/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    Draken to make it clear, as it looks that I might have been misunderstood, what I'm hoping for is an improvement of the conversation zone... what I meant with my wording is that in the current experimental version, the conversation zone has become useless to me since I can't see when someone addresses to me, and that if it was removed it would just be the same (undesirable) result, for me...
     and yes, everyone of us, including yourself, and myself, is very very very tiny compared to all the users. still, a feedback to the experiments as been asked for, and even the tiny users should say their mind, even if they might not represent the majority - which remains to be proved anyway :)

    df3vi

    Nov 28, 2013, 4:08:44 PM11/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    Well, the readability of the text has improved, but still page some zoom is better to read than original size.
    But why is it made so hard to recognize the icons? They are just 25% the size of what they used to be! There must be a certain intention in doing so, or do you think the programmers are unable to produce a better design?
    Removal of comments wasn't asked for seriously, and I think everyone else understood that - and maybe you did, too.

    Pom'

    Nov 28, 2013, 4:13:01 PM11/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

    thank you df3vi I'm feeling a little less tiny now ;)

    Draken

    Nov 28, 2013, 4:30:07 PM11/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    In order to avoid semantic problems one has to be very clear and leave irony behind when expressing in a foreign language, don't you agree?

     "I don't know what you mean by 'glory,' " Alice said.
        Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. "Of course you don't—till I tell you. I meant 'there's a nice knock-down argument for you!' "
        "But 'glory' doesn't mean 'a nice knock-down argument'," Alice objected.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master—that's all."

    pom'

    You should know "tiny" was not meant as an aggression. Don't be defensive when no one is attacking you.

    Pom'

    Nov 28, 2013, 4:57:10 PM11/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    yes you're right Draken irony shouldn't be used when one is imprudent enough to think he will be understood,  and yes my English is far from good enough for that kind of presumption, I'll try to learn from this ; still I'm not sure a feedback would even be red by the designers if I had expressed it in any other language easier for me ; and if I might have used irony, it was probably to avoid a more aggressive and direct way to tell how bad I feel about the new Panoramio, especially about these dominating horizontal pictures, these gone away tags, and these so hard to follow conversations because of unrecognizable tiny thumbnails.

    Sorry too If I might have thought it was not a very kind answer when my opinion has been called tiny tiny, my poor English again.

    regards, pom',

    Draken

    Nov 28, 2013, 5:03:29 PM11/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    pom'

    Read again. Your opinion was not called tiny. I said your opinion represents a tiny minority, which is a completely different thing.

    Pom'

    Nov 28, 2013, 5:08:42 PM11/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

    alright Draken, what you said is that my opinion represents a tiny tiny minority.

    which, as I said before, is another opinion, and remains to be proved ; and I'll not try to quantify how much of a minority or a majority it represents : I've been imprudent enough for today, and in my remote country it's time for bed.

    kind regards, pom'

    phamhoanghai

    Nov 28, 2013, 5:45:40 PM11/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    Good idea, Pom'.
    Sleep tight. Don't let this tiny tiny thing bother you.
    I completely understood what you meant in your comment. I agree with your opinion. I thought it was well said.

    ®mene

    Nov 28, 2013, 6:56:34 PM11/28/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    Am Mittwoch, 27. November 2013 22:49:45 UTC+1 schrieb Adam Lasnik:
    Updated, based on your feedback...
    • New responsive design that adjusts to the width of the window
    • New row-based layout that better showcases panoramic / landscape photos
    • Photo titles now appear only on hover
    • Link from photos on groups pages now go to the photos page, instead of the photo explorer
    • A single click lets you add all your favorite photographers who have signed up to Google+ to a circle
    Enjoy, and for those of you who celebrate it, Happy Thanksgiving!

    Hi all,
    well that is definitely a step.... Yes. Absolutely not sure what to say after reading all these posts. Some I can relate with and some I can not follow with.

    As from my view things works fine. The outfit of the site is fine, compact and dynamic. That is maybe caused by the way I tend posting panoramic views as well as "triplets" in a specific mixture.
    What I really miss now is that typical flyout text showing the image's title when hoovering the mouse on it. That is helpfull when describing detailed the respective image. As well I miss the usual behavior of that "3 columns". What is caused in that above mentioned "triplets" before.

    Some things seems not work accurate with different browsers. As mentioned: using IE brings up "funny effects" that some users may not want to accept.

    But from this point: Have a great Thanksgiving, Adam and my congrats to that teamwork...

    alloah - mene :)

    motorhand

    Nov 29, 2013, 2:33:32 AM11/29/13

    It's very funny what the new horizontal order makes to the older pictures after uploading a new one.
    Always a surprise about becoming a big one small now, and inversely.
    A little improvement should be done at very extreme horizontal or vertical dimensions.

    By the way, in a very old version of panoramio we had a row with four pictures (when I remember well).
    And I don't think it is a very good concept to align images after an optical system, according to a website design.
    I see many galleries with three times the same sunset or mountain view, only to fill the row properly.
    This behavior reduces the picture quality altogether, but I think the new new design will act a tiny against that.

    - - - -

    The thumbnails at the conversations must become bigger (100px at long edge), I agree with that suggestion.

    And I still believe, it could be a good idea, having more than 24 pictures at one page (only when this will not burden the loading times too much).

    Best regards !
    Matthias

    ~Marlene~

    Nov 29, 2013, 3:08:24 AM11/29/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    I am with you for this solution, Tomas… then maybe you can please all of the people all of the time!

    ~Marlene~

    Nov 29, 2013, 3:15:55 AM11/29/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    I am also in this tiny, tiny minority! Can't distinguish the conversation pics at all. And I think more people than are realized feel the same. They just don't speak up in the right places, but I have told many people to please use the forum. You would be surprised how many people do not even know there is a forum!

    Fravanpa

    Nov 29, 2013, 4:21:32 AM11/29/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    Keer a.u.b. terug naar de oude weergave. De nieuwe lay-out trekt op niets. Foto's staan door elkaar, overlappen elkaar, zijn uitgerokken naar boven of naar onder, of worden zo klein weergegeven dat je nauwelijks ziet wat er op staat. Nogmaals, het trekt op niets. Ga terug naar de oude weergave met foto's van hetzelfde formaat. Iedereen zal u dankbaar zijn!!!

    Fravanpa

    Nov 29, 2013, 5:21:16 AM11/29/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    In English : Please go back to the old lay-out, and I mean to the very old lay-out!!! What I see now is horrible. My eyes don't accept it!!!

    Trintignant

    Nov 29, 2013, 6:21:21 AM11/29/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    I can't unterstand why You do not simply go back to the last good version when You experience severe problems which You can't fix instantly? There must be some decision rule when to go back or when to ride it out. Best regards.

    Mike Fowkes

    Nov 29, 2013, 6:26:52 AM11/29/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    All  see now is a mess - photos distorted and overlapping. Also it seems there are only two pages to tab through now instead of the original nine or ten. Is this situation going to be corrected or do we have to live with it?

    zerega

    Nov 29, 2013, 6:58:58 AM11/29/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

    • New responsive design that adjusts to the width of the window
    • New row-based layout that better showcases panoramic / landscape photos
    Looks much better now. This made me switch to the new Panoramio, at last.

    • Photo titles now appear only on hover
    Does not work in Firefox. Titles appear permanently, but that's fine with me.

    Pom'

    Nov 29, 2013, 7:10:50 AM11/29/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    Trintignant : 100% agreed, but what I understand even less is why they don't try their experimental new versions with a significant panel of real users, asking them what useful improvements should be done, using all possible browsers - even IE, despite the open war between  Google and Microsoft - to be in order to make welcomed changes without getting Panoramio into severe problems, and to present a ready to be used and appreciated new lay-out only the day they're 100% ready...  that would be a real methodological change, and a great improvement.

    about the new Panoramio the point that I  really didn't get - but maybe they told about it,  I've not read all the forums or blogs, too uneasy and long for me, is why a new version of Panoramio was absolutely needed.

    I've been trying to understand it by the new functions the new Panoramio allows, but I honestly can't see none, except bigger thumbnails of pictures (for smart-phones I guess ?) and this Google+ thing, which doesn't interest me at all, so far, but that they push so hard into us.

    on the opposite what I can actually see are lost or less easy to use functions, like ability to take care of tags or to follow conversations, because of too little thumbnails in the conversation zone. And a new display which gives advantage to horizontal pictures, and disadvantages vertical and square ones,  for no good reason, according to me.

    regards

    fl✵cke

    Nov 29, 2013, 7:43:49 AM11/29/13
    **Pom** - I think this is not so much about improving Panoramio as it is about getting new users for G+. That might be the reason for the new PA version and the ultimate goal might be to integrate PA into Google+ completely. Therefore useful improvements to Panoramio are not necessarily wanted  and our complaints might be a waste of time ... ;)

    Pom'

    Nov 29, 2013, 7:45:45 AM11/29/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    fl*cke, unfortunately, this is, so far, my last analysis too. I'm waiting for someone to prove it wrong.

    SteveT

    Lady GooGoo La La

    Nov 29, 2013, 7:59:11 AM11/29/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    fl*cke I agree the purpose is to attract new users to Google +, but not merge Panormio into Google+, this would not make sense to merge screened, geo-located photos with a open free for all photo database like Picasa/Google +

    Lady GooGoo LaLa

    CliveM

    Nov 29, 2013, 8:30:41 AM11/29/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    I think the design of the user page is a great improvement on the first phase of the redesign (except for IE users, of course).

    May we hope for similar improvements for groups? Others have already noted that the problem of no "add" or "remove" buttons for long group names still persists. Group photo pages still look a mess, with much of the user's name invisible on narrow pictures, which can make life very difficult for group moderators. In management mode even the "Remove" button gets truncated on narrow pictures, which means that, if some foolish person were to post a very narrow picture to a group it might be impossible for anyone to remove it because no part of the "Remove" button would be visible. Only the member who posted it would be able to remove it, using the individual photo page, but only if the group's name happened to be short enough for the "remove" button to be available. It also takes three clicks  (on "Explore", on "Groups" and on "invitation manager" to get to the group invitation manager from the user page when it used to take only one, and the removal of the group invitation manager link from the user page also means that, unless they happens to stumble upon it some way down the page after doing the first two clicks, a new user would have no idea that such a thing as an invitation manager even exists.

    motorhand

    Nov 29, 2013, 11:19:59 AM11/29/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    Please copy the navigation line on top of the photos (under the user infos).

    << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 12 13 14 Next >>

    This can hardly be find under the pictures.

    fl✵cke

    Nov 29, 2013, 11:57:16 AM11/29/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    @ Lady GooGoo LaLa -
    I am not sure - but this new PA restructuring seems to be taking forever & showing no real improvements - apart from that all links now lead directly to G+. ;)
    And Flickr - a free photo database - has integrated a worldmap function for geo-tagging into their site not too long ago.  Still I hope you are right !!

    magic surf bus

    Nov 29, 2013, 12:36:37 PM11/29/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    It's all well and good emphasising Panoramas (an issue I picked up on recently) but you're now stretching small thumbnail images across the page and they're appearing pixellated. For the resolution now required you need to be reducing medium images, not enlarging small ones.

    I have a second panorama-only account intended as a reference source for a specific travelling audience - it now looks awful, with a vertical stack of untitled similar-looking panoramas that are utterly meaningless on first viewing without any labelling.

    Why can't you display titles below the images so they're visible straight away? Why do they have to impose on the image space at all? Confident website design involves stretching out into the available space, not cramming it all together.

    I can't say I'm happy, and over here we don't celebrate Thanksgiving anyway. I'll give thanks when there's a reason, but so far this whole re-fit seems retrograde and unnecessary.

    df3vi

    Nov 29, 2013, 12:45:50 PM11/29/13

    Am Freitag, 29. November 2013 12:58:58 UTC+1 schrieb zerega:

    • Photo titles now appear only on hover
    Does not work in Firefox. Titles appear permanently, but that's fine with me.

    It does work on every gallery but your own. This behavior is intended.

    df3vi

    Nov 29, 2013, 12:49:14 PM11/29/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    Steve, it is a known problem (and had been mentioned several time before) that the new layout does not work yet on any MS IE.

    Stanimir Kunev

    Nov 29, 2013, 12:53:58 PM11/29/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    In the new view I do not see the number of my tagged photos when I choose one of my labels. So far, the number appears in parentheses after the name of the label after his election.
    Plus the problem of no "add" or "remove" buttons for long group names.

    I use Chrome Version 31.0.1650.57 and Firefox 25.0.1 for Windows.

    df3vi

    Nov 29, 2013, 1:02:23 PM11/29/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    +1 for that!

    Also the arrangement of photos in group pages needs to be revised urgently. It is a total mess if not all photos have landscape format.
    It makes no sense to order them vertically, when there is only a horizontal layout. So why place them complicatedly in this order:
    1st 4th 7th 10th
    2nd 5th 8th 11th
    3rd 6th 9th 12th
    when one single portrait photo can change this e.g. into:
    1st 4th 7th 10th 2nd
    5th 8th 11th 3rd
    6th 9th 12th
    and mess things up completely
    (same applies to any other pseudo-grip on various group pages).
    On the "photos" sub-page you cannot find newly added photos anymore because they are scattered all over the six rows (if there are six at all, enough portrait photos will use only 5 or less rows).

    What is worse than before is the "Remove" bar placed in the middle of photos, instead on the top where it was before. No reason for this change except to make photos less visible.

    The vertical "supersize" area of that forward/backward buttons (reaching from top to bottom over several rows) makes absolutely no sense. It even hinders portrait photos from being selected when they happen to be behind this button area.

    Photo selection is not always possible because when hovering with the mouse over a photo, it gets a red frame, which needs more space, and can make this photo move into the next row. As soon as it is shown there, the red frame goes away, and the photo moves back into the previous place. This repeats as fast as the browser can handle this insane game...

    Also removing the photo explorer link was no good idea, as there is no way to make a group photo show now anymore. Another nail in the coffin of groups...

    hvbemmel

    Nov 29, 2013, 1:26:17 PM11/29/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

    Also removing the photo explorer link was no good idea, as there is no way to make a group photo show now anymore. Another nail in the coffin of groups...

    there is a way, it´s not the way but well here it is:

    open any photo in the explorer

    change the red part in group=groupnumber

    now the explorer works for the group., in this case the group Österreich / Austria

    dusan majcin

    Nov 29, 2013, 1:54:23 PM11/29/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    very good idea with thumbnails layout,titles,.... thank you. it is necessary to improve the quality of separate thumbnail picture construction for very wide panoramas. thank you. dusan

    Dňa streda, 27. novembra 2013 22:49:45 UTC+1 Adam Lasnik napísal(-a):
    Updated, based on your feedback...
    • New responsive design that adjusts to the width of the window
    • New row-based layout that better showcases panoramic / landscape photos
    • Photo titles now appear only on hover
    • Link from photos on groups pages now go to the photos page, instead of the photo explorer
    • A single click lets you add all your favorite photographers who have signed up to Google+ to a circle

    Xonid

    Nov 29, 2013, 5:05:47 PM11/29/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com
    Mine is fouled up. I can't view all of my photos. Is there anyone to help with this?

    Julie Chorgo Gilson

    Nov 29, 2013, 5:56:12 PM11/29/13
    to panoramio-que...@googlegroups.com

    I'm not sure what the technical problem is, but the (NOV 2013) new "Layout Design" change does NOT work for me now.
    I'm not sure why there was any need for a yet another new design layout after only 2 months anyway? Who asked for it? Not me.
    Why was this new (NOV) design forced on everyone.
    Can I get back the previous Panoramio design layout that worked? If yes how?

    Problems: My page is now distorted due to this "new design" (See my image above).
    - Tall photos are now stretched wide.
    - Wide photos are  T     O     O        W      I       D      E
    - Some photos are overlapping OVER photos.

    The previous design change (around AUG 2013) at least gave you the option to "Try New Design" or keep old version.
    It's only November 2013 and the 2 month old design change is now outdated? Really?

    I understand many websites are changing to work with iPads and iPhone layouts but your previous design layout worked fine with that.

    If the design team at Panoramio has a constant need to change the design -- make it MORE user flexible. Specifically, the USER controls photo size and layout.

    I would prefer that I had more control with how I wanted to show photos (User adjusts how big or small, in custom layout groups, in custom albums, etc.) and user arrangement of layout. Consider these things for next big design change.

    On Wednesday, November 27, 2013 4:49:45 PM UTC-5, Adam Lasnik wrote:
    Updated, based on your feedback...
    • New responsive design that adjusts to the width of the window
    • New row-based layout that better showcases panoramic / landscape photos
    • Photo titles now appear only on hover
    • Link from photos on groups pages now go to the photos page, instead of the photo explorer
    • A single click lets you add all your favorite photographers who have signed up to Google+ to a circle
    Enjoy, and for those of you who celebrate it, Happy Thanksgiving!

    It is loading more messages.
    This conversation is locked