Thursday Photo Tip #1: Rule of Thirds

Larry Workman QIN

Sep 20, 2007, 1:37:11 AM9/20/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I do a lot of photography in my work and spare time and would like to share a few tips with anyone willing to tune in. If there is much interest in this post, I’ll start posting a Thursday photo tip each week.

One of the aspects of creating successful photos is the use of composition. One of the easiest to use is called the “Rule of Thirds”. This rule dates back to the ancient Greeks, who studied forms in art to discover what is pleasant to the human eye.

So, take any photo and divided it up into three equal parts, vertically and horizontally so it looks like a tic-tac-toe pattern. Notice that there are four points in the photo where the lines intersect. Now if you place you major subject of interest at or near any of these four points, you are using rules of thirds. You can use several of the points in a photo that has multiple subjects. It makes photos much more dynamic rather than placing your subject right in the center. When the subject is in the center, the photo is static and it does not force your eye to move around in the photo. BUT place it at one of the intersections and your eye is forced to move around in the picture and explore it. This is one of the most natural forms of composition.

Do you have a photo to share which uses the “Rule of Thirds”?

Matthew Walters

Sep 20, 2007, 12:30:26 PM9/20/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Larry, I look forward to seeing your future tips!

I tried to place the main part of the rose roughly at the 'thirds' point:

Here, the tower is off to one side:

And another flower:

Finally, a landscape:

I think it is worth pointing out that this is a 'rule', not a 'law', so is there to be broken. You can get great photos that don't follow the rule of thirds but have some other composition trick... I expect we'll hear more about these later :)

Matthew

Andrea Marchisio

Sep 20, 2007, 4:06:35 PM9/20/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the tip, its good even for a newbie like me :)

knijtert

Sep 20, 2007, 4:35:28 PM9/20/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
I think this is a usefull tip for me. Most of my pictures I didnt make use of your tip in most of my photo's. Is this also a good axample of the "rule of thirds"?

By the way, I dont really see the rule of thirds in your fist picture. Can you help me find it?

I am looking forward to your next tips!

Marco
http://www.panoramio.com/tags/knijtert/

magic surf bus

Sep 20, 2007, 4:55:06 PM9/20/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Fascinating. I've only ever been vaguely aware of something called the rule of thirds, have never understood it and have never consciously used it.

Can anyone point to an example where I've unconsciously used it in any of my photos? No need to post the thumbnail, just tell me the photo number.

http://www.panoramio.com/user/73989

I have a private theory that an eye for composition can be inherited - My great grandad was a professional photographer, my dad was a keen watercolour painter, I'm a keen amateur photographer, and both my kids have a good eye for framing and composition without any coaching from me.

Nawitka

Sep 20, 2007, 5:50:25 PM9/20/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Here is an example from MSB. The hat is 1/3 from the top of the photo, and nearly 1/3 from the right of the photo. The hat is the first thing your eye is drawn to.

To see if the rule of thirds really makes a difference, try cropping off some of the right hand side -- that will move the hat more into the right third of the photo. And crop just a little off the top, so the hat is positioned just a little higher (not too much so you don't lose the paddle, which is in an excellent position). --- Hope I don't sound presumptuous, but you did ask.

Larry Workman QIN

Sep 20, 2007, 8:54:48 PM9/20/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Quote Matthew Walters:
I think it is worth pointing out that this is a 'rule', not a 'law', so is there to be broken. You can get great photos that don't follow the rule of thirds but have some other composition trick... I expect we'll hear more about these later :)

Matthew

You are right; this is not a law. But the way "Rule" is used here is to mean 'measurement', not 'law'. You could say "Measurement of Thirds".
There are many techniques one can use and in the coming weeks I will be posting more compositional and other photo tips.

Larry

Larry Workman QIN

Sep 20, 2007, 8:58:12 PM9/20/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Quote knijtert:

By the way, I dont really see the rule of thirds in your fist picture. Can you help me find it?

I am looking forward to your next tips!

Marco
http://www.panoramio.com/tags/knijtert/

Your photo does use the rule of thirds.

The grouping of the yellow flowers is near the upper left point in the Rule of Thirds.

Larry Workman QIN

Sep 20, 2007, 9:07:15 PM9/20/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Quote magic surf bus:

Can anyone point to an example where I've unconsciously used it in any of my photos? No need to post the thumbnail, just tell me the photo number.

You have several. #399423 is a good example. The canoe is the subject, but your eye moves from there to many other parts of the photo.

Larry

Larry Workman QIN

Sep 20, 2007, 9:10:53 PM9/20/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Quote Nawitka:
Here is an example from MSB. The hat is 1/3 from the top of the photo, and nearly 1/3 from the right of the photo. The hat is the first thing your eye is drawn to.

To see if the rule of thirds really makes a difference, try cropping off some of the right hand side -- that will move the hat more into the right third of the photo. And crop just a little off the top, so the hat is positioned just a little higher (not too much so you don't lose the paddle, which is in an excellent position). --- Hope I don't sound presumptuous, but you did ask.

Cropping is a great way to improve many photos. Some people who I know take photos and use what they get. With just a little cropping, their photos whould be much improved.

Larry Workman QIN

Sep 20, 2007, 9:32:11 PM9/20/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Here are a few more photos using the Rule of Thirds. Note that you can have several subjects that appear at several of the points.

NAGY Albert

Sep 21, 2007, 3:02:08 AM9/21/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Hi! I knew this "rule of thirds" as "golden ratio". Once upon a time I wrote a post about it in the How to make great pictures thread, but it sank in the Share your photos forum.

Don Albonico

Sep 21, 2007, 4:08:04 AM9/21/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
I do use the rule of thirds a lot. Over time it becomes a habit you don't really think about. Just for the heck of it take a look a the first page of the World Map. How many of the photos their use the rule of thirds? :wink:

magic surf bus

Sep 21, 2007, 7:39:58 AM9/21/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
The gondolier photo was fired off rapidly as he went under the bridge, so my only composition consideration was to get the full length of the pole/oar in shot. I subsequently cropped it using a technique (that maybe has a name that I'm not aware of) where I try to get diagonal lines running into the corners. The oar and the bridge stonework both point into corners. In the original there was more water at the top and more bridge at the bottom.

Nawitka's suggestion for cropping the right makes sense - I would probably use the junction of the two lines of ironwork in the bottom right as a starting point then move up and take the corner off the shadow on the water.

I suppose the rule of thirds explains why many digital cameras have a 3x3 grid option on the LCD, though I have to say I never use it.

Matthew Walters

Sep 22, 2007, 4:23:40 AM9/22/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Next time you watch a film, really watch it. Look at the positions of people, and the framing of scenery. It's easier to spot in widescreen, but you will regularly be able to see the rule of thirds at work.

Matthew

oh1qk

Sep 22, 2007, 3:26:31 PM9/22/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Quote NAGY Albert:
Hi! I knew this "rule of thirds" as "golden ratio".

real golden ratio is near 3/8 or5/8 meaning a little more towards the center (compared with 1/3 or 2/3 [3/9 or 6/9])

NAGY Albert

Sep 22, 2007, 4:14:47 PM9/22/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
0,618
Thank you for the lesson.
If you follow the link in my post, you will see, what I meant.

gregpphoto

Sep 24, 2007, 11:44:28 PM9/24/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
The Ro3 (abbreviated, sucka!) is a great tip to keep in mind, or if when youve done it enough, in your subconscious. But like any rule, once youve learned it, dont be afraid to break it. I have a photo where the bottom 4/5 are mountain and lake and the top 1/5 is sky and it works perfectly. Likewise, I have a photo thats roughly 1/2 sky 1/2 mountain and it works.

That should be a rule: The Rule of Whatever Works

.iznogud

Sep 26, 2007, 2:40:08 PM9/26/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
So what do we do now, to DO or NOt to do Ro3?

And I am really curious now - how would you rate photos I posted? I posted just a selection - perhaps one in 50 from shots I've saved - and I think I can definitely see that I did use this rule, and on the other hand - there certainly are some of my photos where I did not employ this Ro3 thingie...

I've also read, on the Kenrockwell.com (Rockwell's site) that all one should care about is - getting a good shot, and pay attention to no rules... but than, your explanation of the rule does sound logical, if you observe it rather as a recommendation or measurement, than taking it as a "must"...

hmmmmm. :roll:

gregpphoto

Sep 26, 2007, 10:56:16 PM9/26/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
well yes, getting a good photograph is the goal and it doesnt matter what you did to get to that point. But the rule of thirds, or any other tip or rule, will help you get there. And yes, it more a recommendation, something to keep in mind while photographing.

Larry Workman QIN

Sep 27, 2007, 1:38:18 AM9/27/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
You are mistaking this for a "rule" in photography. The word is used to mean a measurement (like a ruler). It is one of many compositional tools to consider in photography. It is not a rule or law so there is nothing to break.

gregpphoto

Sep 27, 2007, 1:47:52 AM9/27/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
i guess thats true, but it is something that should be learned and used, but also "broken" when the scene calls for it.

© Gerry

Sep 27, 2007, 4:26:07 PM9/27/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Keep the tips coming Larry. I'm a novice so the basic stuff is easy to understand. I really liked the reasoning you offered in the 'horizon' tip. When I look back at my older posts I see some really basic errors that ruin an otherwise lovely photo, but I hate to correct them because of the high hit count. :( I think I got the third rule fairly ok in this one though:

Will be checking back for tips from the master again :wink:

So Cynical

Sep 29, 2007, 1:25:16 AM9/29/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
When i take a pic i just "frame" it...look at the whole.

ive never heard off the thirds thing before.

Nawitka

Oct 1, 2007, 11:52:32 PM10/1/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
It is usually helpful, especially for beginners, to give this 1/3 horizon rule a try when first framing your shot. At the very least, try to avoid the horizon bang in the middle. And of course there are situations where you try that old 1/3 thing and it doesn't help, so you try something else. But it is a very good starting point.

© Mazen Hezbor

Oct 5, 2007, 11:12:22 AM10/5/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
my english isnt very good so im not sure if understund everything right .....
should i place the objeckt in the middle of the picture or at one of the 4 points ?

Larry Workman QIN

Oct 5, 2007, 11:19:01 AM10/5/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Quote Mazen Hezbor:
my english isnt very good so im not sure if understund everything right .....
should i place the objeckt in the middle of the picture or at one of the 4 points ?

At one of the four points. This is a guide only. The idea is to not center the subject. You want to create eye movement in the photo.

Larry Workman QIN

Oct 5, 2007, 11:21:29 AM10/5/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Quote So Cynical:
When i take a pic i just "frame" it...look at the whole.

ive never heard off the thirds thing before.

This is one of many compositional techniques which come from the art world.

© L K Kelley

Oct 5, 2007, 11:41:29 AM10/5/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Larry, both of my cameras have "grids" that can be used. And, they resemble what you have said about the "tic tac toe" pattern.

I'm assuming that the camera, itself, can help with the "rule of thirds"?

Nawitka

Oct 17, 2007, 2:20:47 PM10/17/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
I just wanted to share this perfect example of the Rule of Thirds in action: (not mine). Each goose is exactly placed on two of the four RoT hot-spots.

and the horizon is also 1/3 down from the top of the photo.

♫ Swissmay

Nov 22, 2007, 7:40:37 AM11/22/07
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com

IvanPalafox

Apr 16, 2008, 1:31:09 AM4/16/08
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the tip. I will use it to correct my starter technique.

AndrewPaulCooper

Oct 9, 2008, 10:13:04 AM10/9/08
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com

Galatas ©

Oct 9, 2008, 10:40:10 AM10/9/08
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
That , if it really works , would take away all the satisfaction of occasionally finding just the right angle and composition that lifts one of your photos to something to be proud of . and would take away much of the pleasure to be obtained from photography as a hobby.

I spend many enjoyable days taking photos but more often than not I come home with very little to show for my efforts. On rare occasions I get one that I am really pleased with and that more than makes up for the hundreds of mediocre ones I have taken.

Larry Workman QIN

Oct 26, 2008, 10:02:06 PM10/26/08
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Quote Galatas:
That , if it really works , would take away all the satisfaction of occasionally finding just the right angle and composition that lifts one of your photos to something to be proud of . and would take away much of the pleasure to be obtained from photography as a hobby.

This is only one of many composition techniques that have worked for artist for thousands of years. Do not let the names of any particular one make you feel that "this is the way to do it"; it is not. The mere fact that you take the time to line up elements in your photos is composition. What makes you feel good about a photograph it what is important.

Larry

Ferry Zuljanna

Sep 16, 2009, 10:23:17 PM9/16/09
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Larry,
Thank you for your tips. It is very inspiring. Surely I will practice more and more with it. Thanks.

QuentinUK

Apr 15, 2010, 8:29:02 AM4/15/10
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
.
There is nothing in the middle the crane and spike are at 1/3rd positions.

.
The duck is in 1/3 position. The photo is square to show you don't always have to have a 4:3 image size. It makes it stiller as does the horizon in the middle.

™Ken Kruse™

Jun 10, 2011, 12:42:20 AM6/10/11
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
I like to think of tips like tools, use the right tool for the job. A toaster is a nice tool but you wouldn't wan't to bake a cake in it. The more tools you have available the more likely you are to find one that's right for the job. Thanks Larry for posting.

Ken

P.S. are there any more tips coming soon?

siddhant misra

Sep 23, 2011, 11:20:01 PM9/23/11
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Quote Larry Workman QIN:
[...]

I feel a lot of gratitude and respect for the community and am obliged to get tips. I hope a green horn like me would be able to put some colour in canvass by using the guide lines like these. Also, thanks a lot for clarifying that 'rule' is 'measurement' and not 'law'. An imbecile like me would have thought otherwise.

saif3221

May 17, 2012, 4:15:01 AM5/17/12
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Larry,
I am keen to learn from your public or exclusive tips if you may.

Jessica G.

May 30, 2012, 1:31:58 AM5/30/12
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Just feeling a little reminiscent. Larry Workman's Thursday photo tips were posted when I was very new to Panoramio and new to photography as well. Each week I read them with interest and took them to heart, looking for opportunities to try out each new idea in my own photos. Even now I still think of these tips when I'm considering how to frame a shot, and I think they have helped improve my photography a lot over the last several years.

All I'm saying is, these Thursday tips are a must-read for any beginning photographer, and even for experienced ones! And if Larry Workman is still around, I just want to say thank you again for the pointers - they're just as helpful today as they were back in 2007.

Jessica G.

EYE

Nov 1, 2012, 11:10:29 AM11/1/12
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
Its very informative and desire to learn more from you in simple words as you described Rule of Thirds

hvbemmel

Nov 1, 2012, 12:31:18 PM11/1/12
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
You find the list of all tips here

Keg River

Mar 29, 2013, 10:39:07 PM3/29/13
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com
  Finally an explanation that makes sense to me.
I've been hearing about this rule of thirds for a few years now, but it never made sense to me.

  Thanks.

  Now, if i could just figure out what is a good subject and what is not.  I've no artistic feel at all.  Sigh!

hvbemmel

Mar 30, 2013, 1:19:08 AM3/30/13
On Saturday, March 30, 2013 3:39:07 AM UTC+1, Keg River wrote:

  Now, if i could just figure out what is a good subject and what is not.  I've no artistic feel at all.  Sigh!

hint:

- read all the Thursday photo tips
- Enjoy making pictures. Sometimes even I make a beautiful photo. My bad ones make those users with lots of artistry look even better, so mine have a function too ;-)

connodado

Sep 2, 2016, 10:27:03 AM9/2/16
to panoramio-...@googlegroups.com