Ubuntu Precise 12.04 - TI OMAP Release PPA Update Announcement

Boudet, Xavier

Jul 13, 2012, 12:02:03 PM7/13/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I am glad to let you know that we released the 'Ubuntu extras' in the TI OMAP PPA on Launchpad.
If you already installed the meta package 'ubuntu-omap-extras', just go ahead and update+dist-upgrade+reboot your system and all the new packages will be installed! If you haven't installed it yet, see new installation section below.

The 'top-level' ubuntu-omap-extras will install the following packages:
 - ubuntu-omap-extras-multimedia: another meta package that installs all the requires packages for MM use case:
   * GST, a modified version still compatible with all Ubuntu apps such as totem
   * gst-ducati and libDCE the main components that bring MM h/w acceleration into the system
   * the ducati DCE firmware including the following codecs: MPEG4/H264 decode + VC1/MPEG2 decode (no encoders for now. it will come soon).
 - ubuntu-omap-extras-graphics: meta package that pulls in all GFX components including new X11 driver (binary blob) and SGX kernel module (source using DKMS to build)
 - ubuntu-omap-extras-config: some config scripts to set some permission issues, and to ensure that the Ducati firmware is loaded at boot time by upstart.

This release comes with the following major changes:
 - DCE interface for the h/w accelerated codecs - already there in 11.10
 - migration to rpmsg driver (aka syslink3, see http://lwn.net/Articles/448562/ and http://omappedia.org/wiki/Category:RPMsg)
 - DRI2 extension for Video support (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTgxOQ)
 - migration to a new open source X11 driver for OMAP (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-omap/ )
 - a new GST video-sink: dri2videosink to display video through the SGX (instead of v4l2sink). For more information, see https://wiki.linaro.org/OfficeofCTO/MemoryManagement?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=linux-video.pdf
 - Linux 3.4 kernel, Ubuntu kernel will be replaced. This kernel is largely based of Linaro kernel, and sources are available here: http://dev.omapzoom.org/?p=integration/kernel-ubuntu.git. Linux-image-<version> package version correspond to a tag ti-ubuntu-<kernel version>  in this tree.
 - ...

New installation procedure:
  1- Add TI OMAP release PPA:
    $ sudo su -
    # export http_proxy=<your proxy if any>
    # export https_proxy=<your proxy if any>
    # add-apt-repository ppa:tiomap-dev/release
  2- Perform the upgrade:
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    $ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-omap4-extras
  3- You can re-run a dist-upgrade for safety at the end, then reboot

Post Installation Important Information:
* It is advised to use Ubuntu 2D instead of Ubuntu (3D) default UI.
* You need to configure gstreamer settings in a way to be able to use totem, proceed as follow:
    - open a terminal and start "gstreamer-properties"
    - open tab "Video"
    - In section "Default Output", set "Plugin" as "Custom" and set "Pipeline" to "dri2videosink".
    - Test shall be working at this stage
  In a future update it will be done automatically
* New pvr dkms package requires new Headers in linux-headers packages that are available in TI kernel. As a consequence, dkms compilation will fail on the default Ubuntu kernel. apport will then complain on first re-boot, please ignore, no need to send a report.

Known Issues:
* Audio is only available on HDMI - Panda Headset Audio is currently broken
* BT is not supported

Support:
You can report issues on Launchpad directly, use https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-omap4-extras-multimedia or https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-omap4-extras-graphics. We will push
updates for bug fixes in the PPA, so make sure to keep your system up-to-date!

If someone wants to volunteer to give our wiki (http://omappedia.org/wiki/OMAP_Ubuntu_Main) a little bit of love, please go ahead and update with the latest references, otherwise we will try to do it in the coming days/weeks.

Next steps for us are:
 - integrate support for Camera
 - Bug Fixing Known Issues

Many thanks to all the folks involved in this release ... in no specific order: Rob Clark, Olivier Naudan, Xavier Boudet, Seb Jan, Herve Fache, Guillaume Aubertin, Nicolas Dechesne, Roger Quadros, Vincent Penquerc'h, Alessandro Decina, Fred Plourde, Luciana Fujii, Dave Long, Andy Green, Jassi Brar and of course the entire Ubuntu ARM team!!

Regards,

Xavier Boudet

Dan MacDonald

Jul 15, 2012, 6:13:18 AM7/15/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

Am I the first non-TI dev to try these new drivers or is everyone just having too much fun with them to comment?

I followed these instructions and it seemed to install OK but video playback is just as jerky as before I did the upgrade.

New installation procedure:
  1- Add TI OMAP release PPA:
    $ sudo su -
    # export http_proxy=<your proxy if any>
    # export https_proxy=<your proxy if any>
    # add-apt-repository ppa:tiomap-dev/release
  2- Perform the upgrade:
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    $ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-omap4-extras
  3- You can re-run a dist-upgrade for safety at the end, then reboot

That all seemed to go OK

Post Installation Important Information:
* It is advised to use Ubuntu 2D instead of Ubuntu (3D) default UI.
* You need to configure gstreamer settings in a way to be able to use totem, proceed as follow:
    - open a terminal and start "gstreamer-properties"
    - open tab "Video"
    - In section "Default Output", set "Plugin" as "Custom" and set "Pipeline" to "dri2videosink".
    - Test shall be working at this stage
  In a future update it will be done automatically

I changed the pipeline to dri2videosink but when I click on 'Test' it says:

No element "dri2videosink"

I tried playing videos with Totem after anyway but they are still very jerky so it looks like the dri2videosink isn't working here yet. What else can I check or try?

Thanks TI team!

Dan

Rob Clark

Jul 15, 2012, 10:19:51 AM7/15/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 5:13 AM, Dan MacDonald <all...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Post Installation Important Information:
>> * It is advised to use Ubuntu 2D instead of Ubuntu (3D) default UI.
>> * You need to configure gstreamer settings in a way to be able to use
>> totem, proceed as follow:
>> - open a terminal and start "gstreamer-properties"
>> - open tab "Video"
>> - In section "Default Output", set "Plugin" as "Custom" and set
>> "Pipeline" to "dri2videosink".
>> - Test shall be working at this stage
>> In a future update it will be done automatically
>

> I changed the pipeline to dri2videosink but when I click on 'Test' it says:
>
> No element "dri2videosink"
>
> I tried playing videos with Totem after anyway but they are still very jerky
> so it looks like the dri2videosink isn't working here yet. What else can I
> check or try?

hmm, I guess I'd try:

dpkg -l | grep gst

dri2videosink should be in gst-plugins-bad.. double check that the
version you have has 'ti" in the name

I've just kicked off a fresh install of 12.04 (upgrading my xbmc
panda), I'll let you know if I run into similar issues.

BR,
-R

Rob Clark

Jul 15, 2012, 12:52:40 PM7/15/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Boudet, Xavier <x-bo...@ti.com> wrote:
> New installation procedure:
> 1- Add TI OMAP release PPA:
> $ sudo su -
> # export http_proxy=<your proxy if any>
> # export https_proxy=<your proxy if any>
> # add-apt-repository ppa:tiomap-dev/release
> 2- Perform the upgrade:
> $ sudo apt-get update
> $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> $ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-omap4-extras
> 3- You can re-run a dist-upgrade for safety at the end, then reboot

btw, it does seem that you need to have universe and/or multiverse in
your sources.list, otherwise there will be some unmet dependencies..

BR,
-R

Tom Mitchell

Jul 16, 2012, 4:30:27 AM7/16/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
So far so good. The process works
well and the system boots. My syslog has
some messages I have not sorted out but the
system is running well enough to do that.

--
T o m M i t c h e l l

Dan MacDonald

Jul 16, 2012, 4:52:07 AM7/16/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob!

Thanks for giving me a couple more things to check - I had another look last night and realised where I'd gone wrong. I've not used my Panda for months until this weekend - I run it off SSD via USB and so I got caught out by / getting switched back to my SD card when I updated the kernel. I've not had time to get it set up again properly yet but I'll hopefully do that tonight. I should've noticed sooner with the drop in speed etc.

Still no-one has come forth with any answers to my questions about the status of ALSA (and JACK) on Panda - who maintains the Panda ALSA driver? Maybe they can tell me the command to get a clean mic input recording via arecord too hopefully!

What are the best OpenGL ES (2) apps that will run on the Panda anyone? Tonight I'll be trying XreaL and if that fails ioquake3. I heard Doom 3 was getting ported to GLE but I'm not holding my hopes up too much for running Doom 3 smoothly on Panda!

Apparently kwin makes use of GLE too but I've not checked that yet either.

Thanks for your help Rob!

Nicolas Dechesne

Jul 16, 2012, 5:08:16 AM7/16/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Dan MacDonald <all...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for giving me a couple more things to check - I had another look last
> night and realised where I'd gone wrong. I've not used my Panda for months
> until this weekend - I run it off SSD via USB and so I got caught out by /
> getting switched back to my SD card when I updated the kernel. I've not had
> time to get it set up again properly yet but I'll hopefully do that tonight.
> I should've noticed sooner with the drop in speed etc.

if you don't want that to happen again, you need to edit
/boot/boot.script and change the root= arguments there.

each time there is a kernel upgrade flash-kernel is executed, and it
re-generates the boot.scr from boot.script.

cheers

Stephen Neal

Jul 17, 2012, 2:13:57 PM7/17/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 4:16:27 AM UTC+1, lik...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,

First, thank you for the good job!

I tried to install by following the instructions and after reboot, Ubuntu UI seems to be very unstable with time by time flashing of the screen.
Then I try to switch to Ubuntu 2D as suggest, which I guess might be the cause for the unstableness. But after I disabled auto login option in System Settings, I could no longer login back into the system, it gave me a black screen with only cursor in the middle.

I did the same thing and the same thing happened.  I downloaded a clean 12.04 desktop image from ubuntu.com and imaged it to an 8GB SD card.  It booted and ran the Ubuntu installer fine on my Pandaboard ES.  I then added the TI ppa and did an apt-get update, apt-get diet upgrade, and then installed the omap4-extras.  I had an error in the final stage of this from Ubuntu (something to do with dkms?)

On rebooting as per the TI PPA announcement instructions I get the Ubuntu boot screen with the dots, but then my HDMI connection disappears and just flashes that boot screen intermittently.

I hadn't done anything about Unity 3D vs 2D nor had I done the post-install stuff -as the guide says to do this after the reboot?

My question is
- Do I have to enable auto login to use omap4-extras?

I had auto-login enabled and the same thing appears to happen to me.  Have repeated the procedure twice now...

- Is Ubuntu 3D the root cause of the system freeze?

Will try again - first by just installing the omap4 extras without doing a dist-upgrade (in case something new has broken them) and if that doesn't work I'll try 2D.

Thank you!

It's never as straightforward as you hope is it?

Liki

Stephen Neal

Jul 17, 2012, 2:20:01 PM7/17/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
When I follow the install instructions, my Pandaboard ES doesn't properly reboot - I get flashing HDMI output with no visible desktop flashing up after a rock solid boot screen with the Ubuntu logo and white/red dots appearing.

When I first install 12.04 on my ES I get an Ubuntu hardware driver install icon at the top of the screen which I've not done (as I assume installing the TI PPA does the same thing) - should I have installed the drivers that Ubuntu offers as well?  When I install the TI Omap Extras I get an Ubuntu error box appear shortly after I accept the TI Ts&Cs.

Also should I switch to 2D prior to my first reboot, and do the post-install stuff pre-reboot - the guide suggests post-reboot but that's not working for me.  Or is something in the dist-upgrade breaking stuff now?

Stephen Neal

Jul 17, 2012, 9:34:57 PM7/17/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
By the way - the ubuntu dialogue box error I get is to do with omap4-pvr-dkms (I'm doing the command line stuff from a terminal window on the desktop - I assume this is OK?)

Boudet, Xavier

Jul 18, 2012, 3:57:33 AM7/18/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hello Stephen and Liki,

Let's try first to answer your questions:
- Do I have to enable auto login to use omap4-extras?
No, you can use auto login or not, the only problem with autologin is that you cannot choose Ubuntu-2D directly, you need first to logout.
- Is Ubuntu 3D the root cause of the system freeze?
No, Ubuntu 3D is "almost" working with TI update, the only problem is that it is not really usable, we have many refresh issues when playing with menus/windows and system is a bit slow.
- I had an error in the final stage of this from Ubuntu (something to do with dkms?)
Indeed, when installing TI software, we are installing a dkms package for Graphics kernel module. Problem is that dkms is trying to install this module for the new kernel that was installed (it shall works for that one) and for the running kernel (default one). The compilation for the running kernel is failing, this is expected.
- When I first install 12.04 on my ES I get an Ubuntu hardware driver install icon at the top of the screen which I've not done (as I assume installing the TI PPA does the same thing) - should I have installed the drivers that Ubuntu offers as well?  When I install the TI Omap Extras I get an Ubuntu error box appear shortly after I accept the TI Ts&Cs.
You shall not install anything through "Ubuntu hardware driver install icon", TI PPA indeed do the same thing.
Nevertheless, I am a bit worried about the "error box" you are referring, I hope this is just regarding dkms problem.
- Also should I switch to 2D prior to my first reboot, and do the post-install stuff pre-reboot - the guide suggests post-reboot but that's not working for me.  Or is something in the dist-upgrade breaking stuff now?
In theory, this is not needed.

Apparently, several people are facing the same issue. We are currently investigating a potential issue at DSS level in the kernel.
If you can try with different display/monitor/TV it would be interesting to know if it works.
Do not hesitate to share your "dpkg -l", "lsmod", "uname -a" output + /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Regards,

Xavier Boudet

Dan MacDonald

Jul 18, 2012, 5:29:52 AM7/18/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi Forest!

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 7:37 AM, <fores...@cereson.com> wrote:

Hi all,
After upper steps , I can play 1080p movies with totem well.
But I still wanna know what pipeline is recommended to use.
Because the pipeline:
gst-launch playbin uri="file:///mymovie.mov" video-sink="dri2videosink"
can not play the 1080p movie smoothly.

I just play movies with Totem so I can't recommend the best gst pipeline but one thing I do know is that HD movies have to be stored and played from a USB HD/SDD or maybe local network - NOT SD card which doesn't have enough bandwidth.

Have you had chance to look at my latest crash report yet Rob (unmaximizing windows)?

Rob Clark

Jul 18, 2012, 8:53:45 AM7/18/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 4:29 AM, Dan MacDonald <all...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you had chance to look at my latest crash report yet Rob (unmaximizing
> windows)?

sorry, not yet.. although I haven't quite figured out how to enable
desktop-fx (not sure if that is related to why you are seeing these
issues and I am not?)

BR,
-R

Rob Clark

Jul 18, 2012, 12:55:42 PM7/18/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
btw, Xav has made a test build of kernel with some changes that we
think might help w/ the display issues. I have uploaded them here:

http://people.freedesktop.org/~robclark/try1

we'd be interested if folks who are having display difficulties could
try this kernel and report back. Thanks

BR,
-R

Dan MacDonald

Jul 18, 2012, 1:41:08 PM7/18/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
I disabled desktop fx under kde but the crash is under fluxbox. I never recompiled KDE or did anything fancy to get desktop FX - they're just enabled by default under KDE.

Could it not be the fact that I'm using KDM thats causing these issues for me? I think it was ndec who posted to this list earlier and mentioned something about LightDM not being able to log you in automatically to Unity 2D so I'd imagine thats the case for other environments too so it sounds like not much has changed with LightDM since I last tried configuring it and so I'd prefer to use KDM or none at all. Have you tried logging into fluxbox via KDM then reproducing my crash?

Let me know if there is any more info I could give to help solve this.

Thanks!

Dan

Rob Clark

Jul 18, 2012, 1:57:47 PM7/18/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Dan MacDonald <all...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I disabled desktop fx under kde but the crash is under fluxbox. I never
> recompiled KDE or did anything fancy to get desktop FX - they're just
> enabled by default under KDE.
>
> Could it not be the fact that I'm using KDM thats causing these issues for
> me? I think it was ndec who posted to this list earlier and mentioned
> something about LightDM not being able to log you in automatically to Unity
> 2D so I'd imagine thats the case for other environments too so it sounds
> like not much has changed with LightDM since I last tried configuring it and
> so I'd prefer to use KDM or none at all. Have you tried logging into fluxbox
> via KDM then reproducing my crash?

fwiw, I did install kdm and was using that.. I think I just used
kwin_gles (whatever was the default)..

BR,
-R

Rob Clark

Jul 18, 2012, 5:15:21 PM7/18/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
ok, uploaded another omap_pvr_drv.so

http://people.freedesktop.org/~robclark/omap_pvr_drv.so

458e8d839f8aa6ece27a3b5527fa8619 /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/omap_pvr_drv.so

this should fix the issues w/ lxterminal and xfce4-terminal

BR,
-R

Dan MacDonald

Jul 18, 2012, 6:44:59 PM7/18/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 10:15 PM, Rob Clark <robd...@gmail.com> wrote:
ok, uploaded another omap_pvr_drv.so

http://people.freedesktop.org/~robclark/omap_pvr_drv.so

458e8d839f8aa6ece27a3b5527fa8619  /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/omap_pvr_drv.so

this should fix the issues w/ lxterminal and xfce4-terminal

Indeed it has! Thanks Rob!

Its just the problem with the Fluxbox panel text/ clock etc not showing remaining now for me - I presume you don't see it either?

Dan

Rob Clark

Jul 18, 2012, 7:16:05 PM7/18/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
nope ;-)

> Dan

Dan MacDonald

Jul 19, 2012, 5:12:53 AM7/19/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 2:53 AM, <fores...@cereson.com> wrote:
Hi danbold,

FYI:Class 10 and upper SD card can be used to store the HD media.
Can anyone give some info about the pipeline which be used to play HD movies,
or where can I get the last totem sourcecode for pandaboard ?

I've got a 32GB class 10 card and its IO throughput does not compete with even an average USB HD, thats for sure. I've got a 64GB SSD thats bus powered and cost me about £60 - excellent investment and I'd recommend all Panda users do the same and only use SD cards to do the initial booting as its required.

I'm not saying what you claim about SD cards and HD video is incorrect but you will get better performance via USB and likely LAN too although I've not done anything strenuous with the Panda's ethernet yet and as I understand it its actually a USB ethernet port anyway.

Regards!
forrest
July 19

Rob Clark

Jul 19, 2012, 8:13:51 AM7/19/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 4:12 AM, Dan MacDonald <all...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 2:53 AM, <fores...@cereson.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi danbold,
>>
>> FYI:Class 10 and upper SD card can be used to store the HD media.
>> Can anyone give some info about the pipeline which be used to play HD
>> movies,
>> or where can I get the last totem sourcecode for pandaboard ?
>

> I've got a 32GB class 10 card and its IO throughput does not compete with
> even an average USB HD, thats for sure. I've got a 64GB SSD thats bus
> powered and cost me about £60 - excellent investment and I'd recommend all
> Panda users do the same and only use SD cards to do the initial booting as
> its required.
>
> I'm not saying what you claim about SD cards and HD video is incorrect but
> you will get better performance via USB and likely LAN too although I've not
> done anything strenuous with the Panda's ethernet yet and as I understand it
> its actually a USB ethernet port anyway.

The issue w/ SD cards is (allegedly) not their raw throughput, but
their random access performance, especially in the face of small
random write access. It is pretty well known that SD cards tend to
fall on their face with these sort of work loads. Some SD cards are
better than others, and usually the "class" rating has nothing to do
with it. (Probably mounting a few places like /tmp and /var/log as
tmpfs would at least reduce some of the small random writes, fwiw.)

I'm using a bus powered 2.5" SSD (60gb, $60) with one of my pandas.
Night and day difference. Even older 3.5" spinning disk drive was an
improvement.

BR,
-R

Boudet, Xavier

Jul 19, 2012, 11:52:37 AM7/19/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

I did a new test build kernel available here:

NOTE: people who installed "try1 kernel" need to remove it after installation of the new one...
Yesterday, I have created version 3.4.0-1485.2+dss-try1, having "-" in the version was a very bad idea.
Please install the 3 new packages then remove previous ones (if installed) with:
$ apt-get purge linux-image-3.4.0-1485.2+dss-try1-omap4 linux-headers-3.4.0-1485.2+dss-try1-omap4 linux-headers-3.4.0-1485.2+dss-try1

we'd be interested if folks who are having display difficulties could
try this kernel again and report back.  Thanks

Xavier Boudet

Boudet, Xavier

Jul 20, 2012, 2:31:35 AM7/20/12
to wb666...@gmail.com, panda...@googlegroups.com
Are you sure that you have executed:

$ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-omap4-extras

The linux-ti-omap4 meta package is a dependency of that one.

Xavier Boudet

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 8:53 PM, <wb666...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:02:28 AM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:

Problem is I get a crash on Package pvr-omap4-dkms after every reboot or logout/login, and attempting to report the problem fails because it is not an official Ubuntu package.

I sure hope better instructions find their way to the wiki.

I think the pvr-omap4-dkms is failing when starting from a stock Ubuntu 12.04 image because it depends on something from:

sudo apt-get build-dep linux-image-$(uname -r)

that is not installed by default.

As after I did this and rebooted, the crash on pvr-omap4-dkms didn't happen.
can't say there is a major improvement in the graphics, but scrolling, resizing,
dragging, etc. is smoother.

I plan to start a kernel compile to activate the SPIDEV driver before I go home for the day.

If I do Settings->System->Details the Graphics sidebar says:
Driver Unknown
Experience Standard

Is this "normal" or is something still not installed correctly?

I also note the "heartbeat" LED flash is not happening as it was with the Ubuntu 3.2 kernels.

Andrea Fadini

Jul 20, 2012, 4:30:50 AM7/20/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com, x-bo...@ti.com
Hi Xavier,
video problems persist. I used first try1/try2 and after a fresh installation with try2 files.

Thanks

Pandaboard ES REV B1

Boudet, Xavier

Jul 20, 2012, 5:06:38 AM7/20/12
to Andrea Fadini, panda...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Andrea for the test,

We will do another drop today I think.
A workaround was mentioned by one user: leave the HDMI cable unplugged while booting, and plug it in when lightdm is running...
Mouse pointer might be missing, login off/on shall recover from that situation or maybe restarting lightdm.

Note also that this problem is specific to some Monitor/Displays (at least many but not mine...)

Regards,

Xavier Boudet

Rob Clark

Jul 20, 2012, 1:57:01 PM7/20/12
On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 8:41 PM, <fores...@cereson.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I think the key issue is what pipeline should I use to play the HD movies.
> Obviously, the playbin can not work well as before.
> Eager for helps.

playbin2 should work, although you need to give
video-sink=dri2videosink (for x11) or video-sink=kmssink (for running
directly on console, with no x11 running)

BR,
-R

> Best regards!
> forest
> July 20

Rob Clark

Jul 20, 2012, 1:58:24 PM7/20/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Ok, another day, another test kernel:

http://people.freedesktop.org/~robclark/try3/

follow Xavier's instructions below.

We appreciate people testing this, because we aren't able to reproduce
the DSS/display issues with any of the monitors we have. Thanks!

BR,
-R

Dan MacDonald

Jul 22, 2012, 4:51:45 AM7/22/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
I've not tried these latest two test kernels as I'm presuming they are really only for people who aren't getting a display out of their Panda at all, otherwise they're the same as what you currently get from the TI PPA like what I'm running still right?

I've been using 12.04 w/ TI release PPA + Fluxbox a lot over the last week and unfortunately I've had to pull the power because X has frozen several times a day- I'm using a Mac keyboard and I can't be bothered working out how to do a Alt + Sysreq + k so I've just enabled CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE to kill X by creating an xorg.conf like this:

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier          "Keyboard Defaults"
    MatchIsKeyboard    "yes"
    Option              "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
EndSection

So hopefully having that feature will save me having to pull the plug so often.

Many of these freezes have occured when using gmail under Firefox. I have not been able to nail down a specific series of events that causes a freeze but I have seen the 'pop up menus' (ie like the contact auto-complete drop-down) cause X to freeze on several occasions but it doesn't happen every time.

Andrea Fadini

Jul 23, 2012, 2:27:22 AM7/23/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I've tried the last packages (try3) but the display issues persist (less than try2).

This is my configuration:
- fresh ubuntu 12.04
- LCD samsung S23B550 (HMDI connection)

I followed this procedure:
1- install ubuntu
2- update
3- upgrade
4- install omap-extra
5- install try3 linux image
6- install try3 linux header -
7- install try3 linux header _
8- modify the pipeline to dri2videosink

Is it correct?

p.s: I have not modified the apt file source.

Thanks!

Boudet, Xavier

Jul 23, 2012, 2:40:36 AM7/23/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

The last kernels are indeed for people having display issue at boot.
Have you been able to see some traces into dmesg or into /var/log/Xorg.0.log that would correspond to the freeze?
Can you try to disable ondemand governor and let me know if the freeze still occurs?
To do that, comment out line 27 form file /etc/init.d/ondemand:
echo -n ondemand > $CPUFREQ
Then reboot.
Thanks.

Boudet, Xavier

Jul 23, 2012, 2:47:16 AM7/23/12
to Oliver, panda...@googlegroups.com
Hello Olivier,

This is surprising.
Did you faced any issue when you have added TI OMAP release ppa:
add-apt-repository ppa:tiomap-dev/release

Your /etc/apt/sources.list file shall contains:
# Precise Canonical
deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ precise main universe multiverse restricted
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ precise main universe multiverse restricted
deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ precise-security main universe multiverse restricted
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ precise-security main universe multiverse restricted
deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ precise-updates main universe multiverse restricted
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ precise-updates main universe multiverse restricted

You shall have one file  /etc/apt/sources.list.d/tiomap-dev-release-precise.list with following content:

Do you have any error when doing "apt-get update"?
Can you first perform a dist-upgrade before to try to install ubuntu-omap4-extras?

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Oliver <werben...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Could somebody please help me with this problem:

 ubuntu-omap4-extras : Depends: ubuntu-omap4-extras-multimedia but it is not going to be installed
                       Depends: ubuntu-omap4-extras-graphics but it is not going to be installed
                       Depends: linux-ti-omap4 but it is not installable
                       Depends: linux-headers-ti-omap4 but it is not installable

This happens when I do

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-omap4-extras

Boudet, Xavier

Jul 23, 2012, 2:51:54 AM7/23/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the test.
Can you try to explain what do you mean by "issues persist (less than try2)"
Your procedure looks OK, the only remark is that it might be better to install linux-image and linux-headers x2 in the same command.
Message has been deleted

Boudet, Xavier

Jul 23, 2012, 5:54:21 AM7/23/12
to Andrea Fadini, panda...@googlegroups.com
I have one HDMI Display DELL ST2320L + one Dell 1704FPT with HDMI/DVI connector.
Both are working fine...
Have you tried the workaround that consist in plugging the display one minute after the boot?

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Andrea Fadini <andrea...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Xavier,
I'm sorry, the issues are the same not less.. after some test the issues are the same..

Anyway, I have tested the pandaboard with another display ( panasonic plasma VT20 HDMI connection) and the issues persist.

I'm waiting for a pin header connector to test this display ( http://www.chalk-elec.com/ )   and after I'm going to report any issues.

Wich type of display and connection have you tested?

thank you kindly for your work

Dan MacDonald

Jul 23, 2012, 12:39:39 PM7/23/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xavier!

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Boudet, Xavier <x-bo...@ti.com> wrote:
Hi Dan,

The last kernels are indeed for people having display issue at boot.
Have you been able to see some traces into dmesg or into /var/log/Xorg.0.log that would correspond to the freeze?
Can you try to disable ondemand governor and let me know if the freeze still occurs?
To do that, comment out line 27 form file /etc/init.d/ondemand:
echo -n ondemand > $CPUFREQ
Then reboot.
Thanks.

I have now made performance the default gov at boot as you described but I've been using it in perf. mode by setting it manually sometimes anyway and either way I'm getting frequent freezes under both fluxbox and KDE that cannot be recovered from by doing a CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to kill X - that does work (to kill X) before the freeze occurs though.

I've had a number of freezes today already but I've only just installed ssh server so next time it happens, which won't take long, I will hopefully be able to ssh in to look at dmesg for you.

Rob Clark

Jul 23, 2012, 3:36:20 PM7/23/12
On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 4:37 AM, <fores...@cereson.com> wrote:
> Hi rob,
>
> Nice to see your reply!
> My test pipeline is below:
> gst-launch playbin2 uri="file:///my1080p.mp4" video-sink="dri2videosink
> force-aspect-ratio=true".
> This pipeline can play the movie,but the ratio of width and height is not
> right.
> Does the dri2videosink has the "force-aspect-ratio" property?
> How can I adjust the output ratio of width and height ?

no, dri2videosink does not support aspect ratio.. if it is used in
combination w/ an app that handles aspect ratio (like totem) you
should get correct results. But the built-in window that it will
create if used from the cmdline does not support aspect-ratio

BR,
-R

> With thanks!
> forrest
> July 23

Rob Clark

Jul 23, 2012, 3:37:00 PM7/23/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com, x-bo...@ti.com
ok, yet another kernel to try for those having display issues:

http://people.freedesktop.org/~robclark/try4/

BR,
-R

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 2:30 AM, Andrea Fadini <andrea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Xavier,
> I'm sorry, the issues are the same not less.. after some test the issues are
> the same..
>
> Anyway, I have tested the pandaboard with another display ( panasonic plasma
> VT20 HDMI connection) and the issues persist.
>
> I'm waiting for a pin header connector to test this display (
> http://www.chalk-elec.com/ ) and after I'm going to report any issues.
>
> Wich type of display and connection have you tested?
>
> thank you kindly for your work

Boudet, Xavier

Jul 24, 2012, 3:23:28 AM7/24/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi Olivier,

I really don't understand what can be your issue.

Do you have any preferences file in /etc/apt?
Apparently, you can "see" package some TI metapackage like: ubuntu-omap4-extras-graphics

Can you please send the output of commands:
$ apt-cache policy ubuntu-omap4-extras-graphics
$ apt-cache policy linux-ti-omap4

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Oliver <oliver...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi Xavier,

yes, the sources files contains exactly this and I have no problems with any of the apt command. But maybe my apt is broken, since I cannot find the linux-ti-omap4 package using aptitude or apt-cache. Or did I install something wrong? What could cause that a package is not listed?

Oliver Urbann

Jul 24, 2012, 3:37:45 AM7/24/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xavier,

Am 24.07.2012 09:23, schrieb Boudet, Xavier:
> Do you have any preferences file in /etc/apt?

As far as I can see, no. That's the content:

apt.conf.d sources.list.d trustdb.gpg trusted.gpg~
preferences.d sources.list.distUpgrade trusted.gpg
sources.list sources.list.save trusted.gpg.d

> Apparently, you can "see" package some TI metapackage like:
> ubuntu-omap4-extras-graphics
>
> Can you please send the output of commands:
> $ apt-cache policy ubuntu-omap4-extras-graphics

ubuntu-omap4-extras-graphics:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 1.2.5
Version table:
1.2.5 0
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/tiomap-dev/release/ubuntu/
precise/main armel Packages

> $ apt-cache policy linux-ti-omap4

linux-ti-omap4:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: (none)
Version table:

I'm also very confused about that. I already deleted the content of
/var/lib/apt/lists to remove broken lists.
Anyway thanks for your help. If you also have no idea I will try to
reinstall the OS.

Best regards,
Oliver

Andrea Fadini

Jul 24, 2012, 4:27:10 AM7/24/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com, oliver...@googlemail.com
Hi Xavier,
I've installed the try4 packages. The display issues persist again.

Thanks

Dan MacDonald

Jul 24, 2012, 7:01:46 AM7/24/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com, andrea...@gmail.com
I've not read this whole and related threads so sorry if I'm stating the obvious or repeating stuff that was tried long ago but has Andrea and the others experiencing display probs tried plugging a desktop, laptop or whatever that has HDMI (or DVI) output and is running Ubuntu (even if just booting it off a live CD) and tried getting a picture out of that on the problematic displays, obviously using the exact same cable so that that would be getting ruled out as an issue too (if it worked)?

If they can get a picture under x86 Ubuntu with these displays, would there not be any useful info contained within their Xorg or dmesg log files that would help resolve these problems or another diagnostic tool they could run to get this problem resolved quicker?

Dan MacDonald

Jul 24, 2012, 7:12:45 AM7/24/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Oh yeah, and with the performance gov enabled by default I still get frequent freezes that can't be solved by killing X and I am unable to SSH in when the freeze occurs so its likely not just X crashing. Sometimes the screen goes black and the monitor and/or eventually the monitor gets no picture, sometimes the X desktop image remains frozen and I have to pull the plug.

Those crashes are very frequent but less frequently I have this issue where my SDD light goes into overdrive or I get other strange IO errors like the disk isn't there any more. ls comes back blank etc, menus start appearing empty etc. I've seen this sort of stuff occur when the machine is idling or only under light use ie just one terminal open not doing much as well as when its been under more load.

Dan MacDonald

Jul 24, 2012, 7:17:24 AM7/24/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Back on to those not getting a picture - if they can get a picture with their Pandaboards on the same display with the same cable but running an older version of Ubuntu - is there no info to be gleaned there that could help either?

I presume your monitor/X11 worked fine with your Panda under 11.10 did it Andrea?

Andrea Fadini

Jul 24, 2012, 9:03:25 AM7/24/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi danboid,
the display works fine on ubuntu 12.04 before installing OMAP4 packages.

What can I do to help the developers?

Thanks

Boudet, Xavier

Jul 25, 2012, 1:00:32 AM7/25/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi Oliver,

Your board is using armel and not armhf.TI OMAP release PPA support armhf only for precise.
How did you setup your filesystem?
Did you start with a fresh 12.04 install?

Oliver Urbann

Jul 25, 2012, 2:21:39 AM7/25/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

no, it's an older image updated with many dist-upgrades. Is there a
way to switch or do I have to use a new image?

MfG,

Oliver Urbann

Boudet, Xavier

Jul 25, 2012, 2:45:34 AM7/25/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, I thibk that you need to re-start form a fresh 12.04 armhf image.
I did not test/find any procedure to switch from armel to armhf.

Boudet, Xavier

Jul 25, 2012, 3:24:24 AM7/25/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

Are you having console on the UART? If yes, do you see any kernel crash?
After the crash occurs, it would be interesting to mount your filesystem on another machine to see the content of files kern.log, Xorg.0.log and syslog into var/log/
Can you share any crash or error in that files?

Regards,

Xavier

Dan MacDonald

Jul 25, 2012, 6:25:38 PM7/25/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xavier!

I had it freeze on me again earlier.

kern.log:

https://gist.github.com/3179050

Xorg:

https://gist.github.com/3179063

syslog:

https://gist.github.com/3179072

I was running KDE w/ performance gov, wicd and no desktop FX at the time. Due to how my Panda is mounted, I don't currently have access to its UART but I can unmount it if you tell tell whats causing my probs after looking at those logs.

Let me know if you need to know anything else - thanks!

Dan

Boudet, Xavier

Jul 26, 2012, 6:00:45 AM7/26/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dan,

Having a look to the traces I was not able to see any obvious failure...
I can see at least that you are having SGX HW recovery.
This might be due to one problem recently fixed for KDE environment.
I have published a new pvr-omap package yesterday, version is: 1.9.0.4.2.2-1
Have you installed this version?
Can you retry with this one?
If the problem is not fixed, it would be interesting to have UART output indeed...

One remark also, I can see that you are using bootargs: ro elevator=noop vram=40M mem=456M@0x80000000 mem=512M@0xA0000000 root=LABEL=pandadisk fixrtc quiet splash

vram parameter is no more needed, you shall replace "vram=40M mem=456M@0x80000000 mem=512M@0xA0000000" by "mem=1G@0x80000000"
You will also need "console=ttyO2,115200n8" and need to remove "quiet" for console output.

Regards,

Xavier

Dan MacDonald

Jul 26, 2012, 7:52:58 AM7/26/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xavier!

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Boudet, Xavier <x-bo...@ti.com> wrote:
Thanks Dan,

Having a look to the traces I was not able to see any obvious failure...
I can see at least that you are having SGX HW recovery.
This might be due to one problem recently fixed for KDE environment.
I have published a new pvr-omap package yesterday, version is: 1.9.0.4.2.2-1
Have you installed this version?

I did a dist-upgrade first thing this morning and saw the new pvr packages get installed. I have since rebooted and have been mainly using fluxbox but I am still getting occasional freezes/ black-outs. I have also noticed that I still can't see text under the fluxbox panel and under jaaa.

Can you retry with this one?
If the problem is not fixed, it would be interesting to have UART output indeed...

One remark also, I can see that you are using bootargs: ro elevator=noop vram=40M mem=456M@0x80000000 mem=512M@0xA0000000 root=LABEL=pandadisk fixrtc quiet splash

vram parameter is no more needed, you shall replace "vram=40M mem=456M@0x80000000 mem=512M@0xA0000000" by "mem=1G@0x80000000"

OK - I didn't know that. I'll change that now and see if it improves stability. Those boot args must've been created by the Canonical 12.04 installer. Should've the boot args been updated to this new form via updates?

Thanks!

Dan

Boudet, Xavier

Jul 26, 2012, 12:24:36 PM7/26/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com, oliver...@googlemail.com
Hi All,

We have a new kernel for people having display issues:

Please install the 3 package in a single "dpkg -i" command and let us know.

If the problem is still there (and even if the problem is fixed) could you please collect data by doing the following:

1- collect EDID info from the failing screen:
* boot the Panda
* install read-edid:
$ sudo apt-get install read-edid
* then collect edid info
$ sudo parse-edid /sys/devices/platform/omapdrm.0/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid
* send us back the data please

2- collect drm and dss info:
* update your bootargs to have "quiet drm.debug=7 omapdss.debug=1 text" and of course console
* boot the Panda
* as quickly as possible, connect on the console and redirect dmesg output into a file. If you do not have console, try with ssh.
* send us back dmesg

Regards,

Xavier

Andrea Fadini

Jul 27, 2012, 5:02:38 AM7/27/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com, oliver...@googlemail.com, x-bo...@ti.com
Hi Xavier,
first of all, thank you so much for all the work.

The issues are still there but less than before. To be more precise the flickering and freezing are less frequent than try4 and now I can use the OS without going insane.

The EDID and dmesg files:

Thanks

Dan MacDonald

Jul 27, 2012, 5:40:29 AM7/27/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear it Andrea - I'm sure it'll be a big relief to Xavier to hear you're finally making progress!

I have now got a version of Quake 3 WITH GLES 2 (!!) support compiled and ready to be tested - just need to get some working data files now as I don't own Q3.

Once I've got Q3 GLES working on my Panda I'll add a new section to the Panda Ubuntu Wiki on known working GLES accelerated software with tips on installation as required.

Rob Clark

Jul 27, 2012, 8:15:53 AM7/27/12
On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 4:02 AM, Andrea Fadini <andrea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Xavier,
> first of all, thank you so much for all the work.
>
> The issues are still there but less than before. To be more precise the
> flickering and freezing are less frequent than try4 and now I can use the OS
> without going insane.
>
> The EDID and dmesg files:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2947282/EDID
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2947282/dmesg

hmm, well, could you edit /boot/boot.script and add in the bootargs
drm.debug=7 omapdss.debug=1

also remove vram and the two mem args. (Even folks not debugging
display issues, once they update to the kernel in TI PPA should remove
vram and mem args)

You do seem to bet getting a GPU crash. Please make sure you've
updated to the latest pvr packages in the PPA because we've fixed some
pvr issues recently. If you do still see 'PVR_K: HWRecoveryResetSGX:
SGX Hardware Recovery triggered' traces after that, I'd like to know
what window mgr and apps are triggering this.

Thanks

BR,
-R

Rob Clark

Jul 27, 2012, 8:41:42 AM7/27/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com, oliver...@googlemail.com, x-bo...@ti.com
btw, for those who have display issues, one more experiment to try.
Please add the word 'text' in your bootargs (/boot/boot.script) and
run flash-kernel. This will stop the UI from starting automatically.
After bootup, manually start the UI (sudo service lightdm start). It
would be useful to know how many are having display issues even w/ the
text boot console, vs only when X11 starts.

Thanks

BR,
-R

Andrea Fadini

Jul 27, 2012, 10:09:16 AM7/27/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com, oliver...@googlemail.com, x-bo...@ti.com
Hi BR,
I'm sorry I forgot to run flash-kernel!

I don't understand what I should do..
after flash-kernel, reboot, lightdm start and send you the dmesg file(var/log/gmesg)?

Thanks

Andrea Fadini

Dan MacDonald

Jul 28, 2012, 11:56:11 AM7/28/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi list!

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM, RomeoC <romeo.v...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Rob,
When X11 is frozen, ssh remote terminal works ok and responds for a long period.

Regards,
Romeo

Thanks for that Romeo!

I presume your panda is connected to the network via ethernet is it? When I was trying to debug the X probs via SSH before I was trying to log in after the freeze via wifi but I've ran a cable to my Panda now so maybe I'll have more luck catching the error(s) this way?

I hope we can get to the bottom of this without having to use the UART as otherwise I have to unmount my panda from within its casing which is considerable time and effort I'm hoping to avoid.

Rob / Xavier:

So like this what should I do? Have my laptop doing a tail -f on syslog and/or X.org.log and/or dmesg on the Panda or need I only track one of those?

Dan MacDonald

Jul 28, 2012, 12:09:04 PM7/28/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hehe!

Literally within a minute of my last posting to this list my Panda froze on me again but it wasn't all bad as I got to verify that I can still log onto the Panda via ethernet SSH after these freezes and I also answered my previous question as syslog vomited up these lovelies for the amusement of our fearless TI devs!

https://gist.github.com/3193857

Thanks TI!

Dan

RomeoC

Jul 29, 2012, 3:56:19 AM7/29/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob,
Exactly, it connects trough ethernet. So looking at your log it seems to be a swap issue, right? I will try to disable it and see if it helps.

Regards
Romeo

Dan MacDonald

Jul 29, 2012, 5:01:52 AM7/29/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi Romeo!

Looks like you mistook my reply for Robs. Rob, Xavier and the other TI devs don't seem to work hence don't reply to probs on this list on the weekend - which is fair enough. Even TI devs need a break! :)

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 8:56 AM, RomeoC <romeo.v...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Rob,
Exactly, it connects trough ethernet. So looking at your log it seems to be a swap issue, right? I will try to disable it and see if it helps.

I know the first line of that dump mentions swap but it'd be strange if not having a swap file/partition is the problem because I have it commented out. Here is my fstab:

proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
LABEL=pandadisk / ext4 discard,defaults,noatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
#/SWAP.swap  none  swap  sw  0 0
tmpfs /tmp          tmpfs nodev,nosuid                  0 0
tmpfs /var/log      tmpfs nodev,nosuid                  0 0

Not having swap is supposed to improve performance

We'll have to wait for Rob or Xavier to have a look at my error log to get a good idea of what it is causing the freeze

Dan

Rob Clark

Jul 29, 2012, 9:03:07 AM7/29/12
On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Andrea Fadini <andrea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
> I'm sorry I forgot to run flash-kernel!
>
> I don't understand what I should do..
> after flash-kernel, reboot, lightdm start and send you the dmesg
> file(var/log/gmesg)?
>
> Thanks
>
> p.s: dmesg http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2947282/dmesg2

hmm.. in fact that looks all ok..

I wonder if you take 'quite splash' out of the bootargs and replace
with 'text' whether you get an fbcon text console up on the display?

BR,
-R

Rob Clark

Jul 29, 2012, 9:05:32 AM7/29/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:55 AM, RomeoC <romeo.v...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi to all,
>
> I have an PandaBoard ES and after installing omap4-extras, I still have some
> issues:
> - ubuntu desktop frezzes a lot, but after i'm being able to remote ssh and
> reboot

Please use unity-2d ("ubuntu 2d" session), rather than unity.. there
are still some issues w/ compiz. The last updated pvr packages should
get compiz closer to working, but not quite there yet.

> - TV (LG LE5500) does not display full desktop image when resolution is set

sounds like your monitor is overscanning. Some monitors may have a
configuration setting to disable this and show you the entire picture.

BR,
-R

> 1920x1080 and TV is not always detected by board so I have to plugin&plugout
> hdmi cable several times.
> - totem does not play smoothly movies
>
> Regards,
> Romeo

Rob Clark

Jul 29, 2012, 9:11:42 AM7/29/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
hmm, ok, I've seen a couple similar crashes.. at least one of them
that I spent a bit more time decoding the crashdump and looking at the
corresponding kernel disassembly appeared like a context switch
interrupting some mmap/munmap operations, and before returning back
the stack/memory is corrupted, so saved registers are trashed. We are
trying to catch this issue on our side w/ some instrumentation to
track context switches / irqs to get some hint about who the offender
is.

BR,
-R

> Thanks TI!
>
> Dan

Rob Clark

Jul 29, 2012, 9:14:40 AM7/29/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 4:01 AM, Dan MacDonald <all...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Romeo!
>
> Looks like you mistook my reply for Robs. Rob, Xavier and the other TI devs
> don't seem to work hence don't reply to probs on this list on the weekend -
> which is fair enough. Even TI devs need a break! :)

heheh, well sometimes on the weekend I am working on other projects :-P

> On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 8:56 AM, RomeoC <romeo.v...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Rob,
>> Exactly, it connects trough ethernet. So looking at your log it seems to
>> be a swap issue, right? I will try to disable it and see if it helps.
>

> I know the first line of that dump mentions swap but it'd be strange if not
> having a swap file/partition is the problem because I have it commented out.
> Here is my fstab:

no, don't think it is swap. I am pretty sure it is code that gets
interrupted by a context switch or irq, and then has some of it's
registers trashed. All hell breaks loose that way.

BR,
-R

Rob Clark

Aug 2, 2012, 4:55:46 PM8/2/12
On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Boudet, Xavier <x-bo...@ti.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We have a new kernel for people having display issues:
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~robclark/try5/

ok, now that freedesktop.org is back online:

http://people.freedesktop.org/~robclark/try9/

please give this a try if you are having display issues, and send logs
w/ omapdss.debug=1 drm.debug=7 in bootargs

BR,
-R

Rob Clark

Aug 4, 2012, 10:25:51 AM8/4/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com, oliver...@googlemail.com
btw, I forgot to mention, but compiz will now work properly with this
try9 kernel. It would be good to get some feedback to see if it is
fixing any hdmi issues, and that it is not breaking hdmi for anyone
where it was working before. It is missing dvi however. I do have an
updated branch:

https://github.com/robclark/kernel-omap4/commits/dispc-hl-split

which has dvi working again. We'll try to post pre-built kernel
packages for this next week.

BR,
-R

Rob McMullen

Aug 4, 2012, 11:44:36 PM8/4/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, July 29, 2012 6:11:42 AM UTC-7, rob wrote:
hmm, ok, I've seen a couple similar crashes..  at least one of them
that I spent a bit more time decoding the crashdump and looking at the
corresponding kernel disassembly appeared like a context switch
interrupting some mmap/munmap operations, and before returning back
the stack/memory is corrupted, so saved registers are trashed.  We are
trying to catch this issue on our side w/ some instrumentation to
track context switches / irqs to get some hint about who the offender
is.

I'm having the freeze issues, but usually I could ssh.  This latest time was a full on crash with a panic in an irq call so here's a backtrace if useful:

https://gist.github.com/3261433

At the time, I was using Totem to play a .mkv from an NFS share over the wired internet.

Rob

Dan MacDonald

Aug 6, 2012, 8:50:55 AM8/6/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xavier and TI!

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Boudet, Xavier <x-bo...@ti.com> wrote:
Thanks Dan,

Having a look to the traces I was not able to see any obvious failure...
I can see at least that you are having SGX HW recovery.
This might be due to one problem recently fixed for KDE environment.
I have published a new pvr-omap package yesterday, version is: 1.9.0.4.2.2-1
Have you installed this version?
Can you retry with this one?
If the problem is not fixed, it would be interesting to have UART output indeed...

One remark also, I can see that you are using bootargs: ro elevator=noop vram=40M mem=456M@0x80000000 mem=512M@0xA0000000 root=LABEL=pandadisk fixrtc quiet splash

vram parameter is no more needed, you shall replace "vram=40M mem=456M@0x80000000 mem=512M@0xA0000000" by "mem=1G@0x80000000"

After the initial 12.04 PPA release, I changed this mem kernel argument under both boot.scr which is in the root of my SD card boot partition and I also changed it under /boot/boot.script which is on my sda SSD / partition. However, I have only just realised that both files have been reverted back to:

vram=40M mem=456M@0x80000000 mem=512M@0xA0000000

After updating to this the latest TI-OMAP kernel and drivers, so I'm changing it back again.

What is causing these old kernel boot options to be enforced at upgrade?

Dan

Boudet, Xavier

Aug 7, 2012, 5:51:22 AM8/7/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
This is surprising.
In theory, when installing a new kernel the "flash-kernel" script is called.
This script will use /boot/boot.script as input to regenerate boot.scr.
As far as you have updated this file, there is no reason/mechanism to restore the previous bootargs.

Dan MacDonald

Aug 7, 2012, 6:42:02 AM8/7/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xavier!

I suspect I know what happened there now and its my fault. My / drive got trashed through having the power pulled too many times so I copied what was on my SD card root fs onto the SSD and I presume the boot.script in there had never been fixed. Something like that - I'm a bit vague on exactly what I've done to my machine myself so I wasn't going to file a bug for that one.

Rob Clark

Aug 9, 2012, 2:14:58 PM8/9/12
On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 10:59 AM, <kim.k...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> HI,
>

> I followed the installation instructions point by point and it worked.
>
> But unfortunately glxinfo tells me that the mesa-libs are still used by
> ubuntu instead of the HW-accelerated option. I also got an error from the
> omap.so file at the installation process. It tells something that the *.so
> returned an error code. Maybe here went something wrong?
>
> Anyone has an idea how to fix this?

Note that these devices (really all of the ARM SoC's) only support
gles(v2)+egl, and not desktop gl+glx. So there errors are "normal",
it does not mean that the gpu is not working or something is not
installed properly.

A lot of apps/frameworks that support gl/glx in the past is getting
gles/egl support.. and it is helped by the fact that mesa and the
desktop opensrc drivers have pretty good support gles and egl. Linaro
has done some work in various areas to add better egl/gles support.
And some desktop projects like wayland are supporting exclusively egl
(with gl or gles).

BR,
-R

> Greetings,
> Kim Kulling

ChuckMcM

Sep 22, 2012, 11:53:57 PM9/22/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com, x-bo...@ti.com
Pulled the latest today (9/22) and found pvrsinit in the repo now, thanks Rob! So one can init this stuff without start/stopping X. Does the Wayland stuff work? I'm pulling a new copy of Weston as we speak to see what it does (or doesn't) do...
--Chuck

karel....@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2013, 10:12:33 AM6/21/13
to panda...@googlegroups.com, Oliver, x-bo...@ti.com

Hello,

this is exactly also my issue. I've checked the content of sources.list and source.list.d/tiomap-dev-release-precise.list and it looks like you recommend. So I'm not sure why the installation of ubuntu-omap4-extras fails. FYI: my apt-get update output looks:

karel@panda:/etc/network$ sudo apt-get update
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise Release.gpg
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-security Release.gpg
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-updates Release.gpg
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com precise Release.gpg
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com precise-security Release.gpg
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com precise-updates Release.gpg
Hit http://ppa.launchpad.net precise Release.gpg
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-updates Release
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com precise Release
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com precise-security Release
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise/main armel Packages
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise/restricted armel Packages
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise/universe armel Packages
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise/multiverse armel Packages
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise/main TranslationIndex
Hit http://ppa.launchpad.net precise Release
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise/multiverse TranslationIndex
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com precise-updates Release
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise/restricted TranslationIndex
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise/universe TranslationIndex
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-security/main armel Packages
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-security/restricted armel Packages
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-security/universe armel Packages
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-security/multiverse armel Packages
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-security/main TranslationIndex
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-security/multiverse TranslationIndex
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-security/restricted TranslationIndex
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com precise/main Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com precise/restricted Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com precise/universe Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com precise/multiverse Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com precise-security/main Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com precise-security/restricted Sources
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-security/universe TranslationIndex
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-updates/main armel Packages
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-updates/restricted armel Packages
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-updates/universe armel Packages
Hit http://ppa.launchpad.net precise/main Sources
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-updates/multiverse armel Packages
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-updates/main TranslationIndex
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-updates/multiverse TranslationIndex
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-updates/restricted TranslationIndex
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-updates/universe TranslationIndex
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com precise-security/universe Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com precise-security/multiverse Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com precise-updates/main Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com precise-updates/restricted Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com precise-updates/universe Sources
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com precise-updates/multiverse Sources
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise/main Translation-en
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise/multiverse Translation-en
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise/restricted Translation-en
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise/universe Translation-en
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-security/main Translation-en
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-security/multiverse Translation-en
Hit http://ppa.launchpad.net precise/main armel Packages
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net precise/main TranslationIndex
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-security/restricted Translation-en
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-security/universe Translation-en
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-updates/main Translation-en
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-updates/multiverse Translation-en
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-updates/restricted Translation-en
Hit http://ports.ubuntu.com precise-updates/universe Translation-en
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net precise/main Translation-en_US
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net precise/main Translation-en
Reading package lists... 99%

Please note Ignoring of Translation files:

$ sudo apt-get update|grep Ign
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net precise/main TranslationIndex
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net precise/main Translation-en_US
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net precise/main Translation-en

Is that the error you are looking for?

Thanks!
Karel

On Monday, July 23, 2012 8:47:16 AM UTC+2, Boudet, Xavier wrote:
[...]

karel....@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2013, 10:14:07 AM6/21/13
to panda...@googlegroups.com, x-bo...@ti.com

Hi,

for several months update I read this:

Known Issues:
* BT is not supported

I'm really curious, is there any way how to make BlueTooth working on normal Pandaboard (not ES). I'm free also to install some older Ubuntu distro if this helps, but I need BT working to experiment with it a little bit.

Thanks!
Karel

On Friday, July 13, 2012 6:02:03 PM UTC+2, Boudet, Xavier wrote:
[...]

miels....@googlemail.com

Sep 20, 2013, 1:13:22 PM9/20/13
to panda...@googlegroups.com, x-bo...@ti.com
Hi,

I tried this and it does not work.

When trying the last quoted step (dist-upgrade), I get an error.
It says there's an unresolved dependency:

pvr-omap-libs: corrupted: pvr-omap4 (<1.9.0.7.1.5-1) but 1.7.10.0.1.21-0ubuntu1 should be isntalled

(I translated and typed this on a different machine because the ubuntu on the panda board runs veeeeeery slow and is not usable for anything, so sorry that the message is not the exact one I got)

What does that mean and how do I fix it?

On Friday, July 13, 2012 6:02:03 PM UTC+2, Boudet, Xavier wrote:
Hi there,

New installation procedure:
  1- Add TI OMAP release PPA:
    $ sudo su -
    # export http_proxy=<your proxy if any>
    # export https_proxy=<your proxy if any>
    # add-apt-repository ppa:tiomap-dev/release
  2- Perform the upgrade:
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Regards,

Xavier Boudet

ideas.sol...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2013, 3:16:41 AM11/28/13
to panda...@googlegroups.com, x-bo...@ti.com
Hi Xavier,

I would like to capture video from webcam using the command:

gst-launch-0.10 -ev  v4l2src brightness=120 contrast=140 hue=20  norm=PAL-B  device=/dev/video0 ! queue ! videorate ! video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480,framerate=\(fraction\)30/2 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! ducatih264enc bitrate=480  profile=main rate-preset=low-delay  ! h264parse  ! queue2 ! flvmux name=mux pulsesrc ! faac bitrate=44100 ! audio/mpeg,mpegversion=4,stream-format=raw  ! mux. mux. ! queue2 ! rtmpsink  location='rtmp://10.10.10.100/live/testing.sd'

But the CPU usage is too high. I read at http://e2e.ti.com/support/omap/f/849/p/250779/878252.aspx#878252 and Olivier said that I need to use omx_camera instead of v4l2src, but I can find out how to install omx_camera element. So Could you show me how to do that?

And I am using Ubuntu server without GUI so there is no
gstreamer-properties command. Could you help me how to change to dri2videosink?

Thank you so much!

BR,
PhongCao

Vào 23:02:03 UTC+7 Thứ sáu, ngày 13 tháng bảy năm 2012, Boudet, Xavier đã viết:
[...]

lo....@googlemail.com

Apr 6, 2014, 1:28:44 PM4/6/14
to panda...@googlegroups.com, x-bo...@ti.com
my pandaboard kernel panics after applying the update as described

On Friday, July 13, 2012 6:02:03 PM UTC+2, Boudet, Xavier wrote:
panda_kernelpanic.txt