OMAP5 Community Board Wishlist

David Anders

Aug 2, 2012, 8:10:34 PM8/2/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Greetings All,

if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide them!

Dave

Robert Nelson

Aug 3, 2012, 10:25:10 AM8/3/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Looking at the specs of the omap543x's, how about Panda like, but with
sata and an upgrade to the LSR TiWi5 module...

Of course, if the DRAM prices have fallen enough, 2GB of ram would be
nice too. ;)

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

Lioric

Aug 3, 2012, 11:46:01 AM8/3/12
to pandaboard
> > if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next
> > generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide
> > them!

Expansion (and LCD) headers already in place (even if it costs a
little more)

MicroSD or at least the SD more contained within the board

Instead of a switch for the boot order, a switch to select the
external wifi antenna (or another switch if the one for the boot order
is really used)

Remove the DB-9 serial port and instead put just a 10 pin header (that
will make it easier to place the debugger serial port in enclosures,
with a ribbon cable)

All of this is from a hobby perspective of course, so probably is not
in line with what you need. Anyway I was thinking on something as the
direction of the Exynos4412 Quad-core board (for $129) is heading to
(form-wise)

Lioric

Robert Nelson

Aug 3, 2012, 12:08:15 PM8/3/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Lioric <lioric...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next
>> > generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide
>> > them!
>
> Expansion (and LCD) headers already in place (even if it costs a
> little more)
>
> MicroSD or at least the SD more contained within the board
>
> Instead of a switch for the boot order, a switch to select the
> external wifi antenna (or another switch if the one for the boot order
> is really used)
>
> Remove the DB-9 serial port and instead put just a 10 pin header (that
> will make it easier to place the debugger serial port in enclosures,
> with a ribbon cable)

Sadly this brings back memories of the all the RMA's we had on the
Classic Beagle, as users would connect an incorrect header and think
the board was bad, when in reality it was perfectly fine...

Switching to a low profile usb-serial would be a better option, and
wouldn't take up as much room...

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller

Aug 3, 2012, 12:11:12 PM8/3/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
My suggestions based on PandaBoard ES Rev B1:

Am 03.08.2012 um 17:46 schrieb Lioric:

>>> if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next
>>> generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide
>>> them!
>
> Expansion (and LCD) headers already in place (even if it costs a
> little more)

++

> MicroSD or at least the SD more contained within the board

+/- I am indifferent

> Instead of a switch for the boot order, a switch to select the
> external wifi antenna (or another switch if the one for the boot order
> is really used)

I prefer to have both.

> Remove the DB-9 serial port and instead put just a 10 pin header (that
> will make it easier to place the debugger serial port in enclosures,
> with a ribbon cable)

Hm. The OTG-USB is also nearby and defines one edge of the enclosure.

What I would heavily suggest is to make it as flat as possible. I.e.
don't use vertically stacked 3.5mm and USB/RJ45 combination sockets.

> All of this is from a hobby perspective of course, so probably is not
> in line with what you need. Anyway I was thinking on something as the
> direction of the Exynos4412 Quad-core board (for $129) is heading to
> (form-wise)
>
> Lioric
>
> On Aug 3, 9:25 am, Robert Nelson <robertcnel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM, David Anders <danders....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Greetings All,
>>
>>> if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next
>>> generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide
>>> them!
>>
>> Looking at the specs of the omap543x's, how about Panda like, but with
>> sata and an upgrade to the LSR TiWi5 module...

++

>> Of course, if the DRAM prices have fallen enough, 2GB of ram would be
>> nice too. ;)

++

Måns Rullgård

Aug 7, 2012, 1:15:51 PM8/7/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
adco...@gmail.com writes:

> On Friday, August 3, 2012 10:11:12 AM UTC-6, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>>

>> > Remove the DB-9 serial port and instead put just a 10 pin header (that
>> > will make it easier to place the debugger serial port in enclosures,
>> > with a ribbon cable)
>
> Please don't ditch the DB9 connector, unless you intend to ship a
> header->DB9 ribbon setup with the board to compensate. I hate having
> to source extra parts just to get a board running the first time.

As long as there is _some_ raw RS232 available, I don't care what
connector it has. Just *please* no serial over USB.

--
Måns Rullgård
ma...@mansr.com

Victor Yankee

Aug 7, 2012, 4:29:10 PM8/7/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
shorter and smaller, more easily embedded.

Joaquin Castellanos

Aug 7, 2012, 6:14:11 PM8/7/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
If you could include a camera expansion connector with support for dual camera sensors similarly to blaze systems will be also great.   In that case we could try some 3D image processing.

Best regards
Joaquin

Christopher Friedt

Aug 7, 2012, 7:55:58 PM8/7/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
I'll echo the same things that most others are saying - SATA connector either on board or via expansion, lots of ram, please keep either raw rs232 pinouts / connector, and either a jumper or switch for boot select.

In terms of sw arch, it would be nice if the "ducati" firmware side was a little more transparent wrt the kernel interface though... kind of like what was done with the galaxy nexus and openmax... just my 2¢

The muscle in this chip is unreal compared to the omap parts from only 6 years ago ;-)

haunma

Aug 7, 2012, 8:32:24 PM8/7/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, August 7, 2012 4:55:58 PM UTC-7, Christopher Friedt wrote:
please keep either raw rs232 pinouts / connector, and either a jumper or switch for boot select.

I'm curious, now that at least three people chimed in for "keep the rs232":  Why?  What is it about serial over USB that's so problematic?  Many of you don't even *own* a PC with an old-fashioned serial port, and are presumably using USB<->serial cables.  Why not put that chip on the board so you don't need the special cable?  Is this a Windows vs Linux thing?

Speaking of old fashioned, does anyone know why google groups is setup to encourage top posting, complete with extra blank lines and the cursor positioned above the quoted text?  Does this mean it's now truly hopeless, and the forces of good^H^H^H^H interspersed-quote-and-reply have finally been vanquished? :)

Whew, time to go home and chase the kids off my lawn...

Vladimir Pantelic

Aug 7, 2012, 9:35:06 PM8/7/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com, David Anders
- lots of memory

- SATA port

- USB3.0 OTG

- serial debug over FTDI (USB powered) real serial on header if needed
(and micro USB, not that dreadful mini)

- boot order switch

- more LEDs on board, blinking leds have such high value to show stuff
to people

Måns Rullgård

Aug 7, 2012, 10:15:13 PM8/7/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
haunma <hau...@keteu.org> writes:

> On Tuesday, August 7, 2012 4:55:58 PM UTC-7, Christopher Friedt wrote:
>>
>> please keep either raw rs232 pinouts / connector, and either a jumper or
>> switch for boot select.
>>

> I'm curious, now that at least three people chimed in for "keep the
> rs232": Why? What is it about serial over USB that's so problematic?

USB, mainly. It is especially annoying when the entire board is powered
through this connector as is the case on the Beaglebone. On such
boards, catching the first few things printed to the serial console is
almost impossible since you can't start the terminal emulator before
connecting the board.

Even when the "serial port" does not power the board, it is far more
prone to failure than a raw RS232 port. When debugging early boot
problems (or any problem for that matter), a flaky console is the last
thing you want.

> Many of you don't even *own* a PC with an old-fashioned serial port, and
> are presumably using USB<->serial cables.

With a separate converter, you can buy ones that work well. With the
converter onboard, you're stuck with whatever crap the manufacturer
decided was cheap enough to use.

The FTDI chips popular as onboard converters are extra annoying for a
number of reasons. For example, they often have customised USB product
IDs, so stock drivers won't recognise them. The beagleboard list
archives are full of questions from people struggling to even get the
serial port recognised by their system, be it Linux, Mac, or Windows.

For the record, I have more machines with real serial ports than
without.

--
Måns Rullgård
ma...@mansr.com

Måns Rullgård

Aug 7, 2012, 10:15:47 PM8/7/12
Vladimir Pantelic <vlad...@gmail.com> writes:

> - serial debug over FTDI (USB powered) real serial on header if needed

It *is* needed.

--
Måns Rullgård
ma...@mansr.com

Tom Mitchell

Aug 8, 2012, 4:02:01 AM8/8/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 5:10 PM, David Anders <dande...@gmail.com> wrote:
Greetings All,

if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide them!

I think the wish list needs to start with the OMAP5 differences.
Two things stand out to me... Memory and the SATA link.
So more memory and expose the SATA link please.

USB -- I see one USB3 OTG and three USB2 host links
so there should be no need for hubs.  There is a power
out concern for four devices.

Ethernet....  10/100 is fine but a pair of 10/100/1000 links would be cool.

Power.... I think that power from a micro USB is proving less  than
ideal.  Tablets and friends are driving USB wall warts with enough
power but too many users do not read the fine print and use a 0.small watt
when a +1.0 watt wart is called for (slight exaggeration) but just go for
a 5VDC input or perhaps a 12VDC automotive battery safe power option.
SATA can be powered or not... SATA could decide power input solid state
SATA devices are quick.

SDmemory... switch to microSD and save some edge space.
A removable boot device that is easy to load is a good thing.

Two developer markets.   Phone and tablet.   My preference is
for the bigger hardware that a tablet would represent.   4GB
of RAM is on the horizon so look hard at 4GB of RAM.   It might
be nice to add a logic latch so the phone developer can hard
disable external chips/devices  that clutter his goals.

Video out: HDMI is nice but the chip supports more.
Cameras in golly up to four...   I have no idea how to
expose all these on a small inexpensive card.

WiFi and Bluetooth yes please.   Better documentation
would help folk discover how to connect an antenna.

And full clock speed of 2GHz too.

--
  T o m   M i t c h e l l

Joshi, Vikas

Aug 8, 2012, 5:08:42 AM8/8/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com

I captured the input so far, is it as below. Please keep the top list growing and as is and have your discussions below the list.

Around 15 members gave input, would like input from all. Please give input on all aspects of Panda to help us improve.

I will segregate it into OMAP5 wish-list, wiki wishlist, community wish-list etc etc – have more categories:

-          Upgrade to LSR TiWi5 module

-          Expansion and LCD headers – even if they cost more

-          Instead of or along with switch for boot-loader have a switch to select the external wifi antenna

-          Remove DB-9 serial port and instead just put a 10-pin header (easier in enclosures with ribbon cable)

o   Switch to low profile usb-serial would be better option

o   Make it as flat as possible – don’t use vertically stacked 3.5 mm and USB/RJ45 combination sockets

o   Please don’t ditch DB9 connector – hate to source extra parts just to get the board running first time

o   Have some _raw_ RS232 available – don’t care what connector it has

-          \

-          Include camera expansion connector with support for dual camera sensor – can try some 3D image processing

-          Have the board either 100% open or fully supported, don’t give answers like “not available or license restrictions”

-          Would be nice if “ducati” was more transparent wrt kernel interface – like what galaxy nexus and openmax did

-          More LED’s – blinking LED have high value to show off!

-          Expose SATA Link

-          1 USB3 OTG and three USB2 host links – so that no need for USB hub

-          Ethernet 10/100 is fine but a pair of 10/100/1000 links desirable

-          12VDC automotive battery safe power option

-          microSD – have ability for removable boot device

-          4GB of RAM if not at least 2GB

-          logic latch so the phone developer can hard disable external chips/devices  that clutter his goals

-          full clock speed of 2GHz

-          HDMI and whatever other display the chip exposes

-          Four camera

-          Wifi and Bluetooth

-          Better documentation

-          Shorter and smaller more easily embedded

-

Concerns

-          Power out concern for four USB devices

Joshi, Vikas

Aug 8, 2012, 7:00:35 AM8/8/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com

Got few more additions to the list:

Desirable:

-          Upgrade to LSR TiWi5 module

-          Expansion and LCD headers – even if they cost more

-          Instead of or along with switch for boot-loader have a switch to select the external wifi antenna

-          Selectable boot options from Flash or Jumpers

o   Default USB boot instead of MMC boot

-          Remove DB-9 serial port and instead just put a 10-pin header (easier in enclosures with ribbon cable)

o   Switch to low profile usb-serial would be better option

o   Make it as flat as possible – don’t use vertically stacked 3.5 mm and USB/RJ45 combination sockets

o   Please don’t ditch DB9 connector – hate to source extra parts just to get the board running first time

o   Have some _raw_ RS232 available – don’t care what connector it has

-          Flash on Board ( 1 MB , NAND ?? )

o   Boot From flash

-          All Connectors populated  ( either expansion connector / standard connector )

o    JTAG , Camera, LCD ,USB , SATA , PCIe , HDMI , etc or provision for expansion board which has connections for remaining

-          Include camera expansion connector with support for dual camera sensor – can try some 3D image processing

-          Have the board either 100% open or fully supported, don’t give answers like “not available or license restrictions”

-          Would be nice if “ducati” was more transparent wrt kernel interface – like what galaxy nexus and openmax did

-          More LED’s – blinking LED have high value to show off!

-          Expose SATA Link

-          1 USB3 OTG and three USB2 host links – so that no need for USB hub

-          Ethernet 10/100 is fine but a pair of 10/100/1000 links desirable

-          12VDC automotive battery safe power option

-          microSD – have ability for removable boot device

-          4GB of RAM if not at least 2GB

o   scalable memory if possible

-          logic latch so the phone developer can hard disable external chips/devices  that clutter his goals

-          full clock speed of 2GHz

-          HDMI and whatever other display the chip exposes

-          Four camera

-          Wifi and Bluetooth

-          Better documentation

-          Shorter and smaller more easily embedded

-          Container Box with power supply

o   110/230 V power supply box which can house panda5 board and bring out required connections out.

o   This would reduce ESD mis-handling.

-          ARM-DS5 community edition support continued

-          BIOS Firmware support

o   Something similar to Award BIOS on PC/desktops/laptops

o   Diagnostics/Self Test on Flash instead of using validation image.

o   splash screen

o   Ability to Flash BIOS

Bill Fleming

Aug 8, 2012, 7:39:04 AM8/8/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
I would also like a thinner board if possible. You could do away with the combo USB/ethernet and put just the ethernet and maybe just some USB headers. The customer could use USB header adapters to put the ports where they want, or not wire them up at all. (Assuming that headers would save board space/cost)
SATA booting would good.
I would like to see some embedded display port and/or regular display port on the board. (LCDs have been available for a few months now)
Having dual monitor capabilities (or quad) out of the box would be nice too. (no changing resistors, etc)
I would like to see the other LCD interfaces kept though, even if it means resistor changing. For instance there are some MIPI WUXGA displays that are under 10 inches, should be able to plug them right into a Pandaboard. In fact I like the idea of plugging 2 or 3 into one. Could make for a good dual screen device.
I also like the option of more RAM.
With dual channel DDR3 support maybe you could even put 2 desktop RAM slots on the board. 4/8/16GB dual channel kits are cheap now. (16GB for $80 now)
Since the new OMAP5 is gunning for the existing PC/laptop space I think we should try to support a good size of RAM.
BIOS support and some kind of boot loader would be nice. I don't know if this is supported already on the Panda but there are going to be people that want to dual boot on the OMAP5, especially if they are testing Windows RT and linux.

Lioric

Aug 8, 2012, 12:08:57 PM8/8/12
to pandaboard

On Aug 8, 6:39 am, Bill Fleming <billflemin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> SATA booting would good.

> Having dual monitor capabilities (or quad) out of the box would be nice

> I also like the option of more RAM.
> With dual channel DDR3 support maybe you could even put 2 desktop RAM slots

> Since the new OMAP5 is gunning for the existing PC/laptop space I think we
> should try to support a good size of RAM.

> BIOS support and some kind of boot loader would be nice. I don't know if
> this is supported already on the Panda but there are going to be people
> that want to dual boot on the OMAP5, especially if they are testing Windows
> RT and linux.

So you basically want a small Desktop PC board?
But then why not just buy an EXISTING Pico-ITX board, way more
powerful than the Panda, x86 (and probably x86-64 now) system,
upgradeable beyond what an embedded board will currently provide, more
gpu juice, more memory

I think that for this wishlist to be of any sense, first we need to
define what is a PandaBoard intended for, and where is it going
forward

Officially the PandaBoard is:

"PandaBoard is intended to be used as a platform for mobile software
development and OMAP™ 4 processors are intended for manufacturers of
Smartphones and other mobile devices."

Actually that is not really clear on what it is for and where it is
going (what exactly is mobile software?, does it count for the
software that is inside my workstation Core I7 16GB when I travel with
it?)

So what is the PandaBoard (TI) really targeting for? big manufacturers
only, embedded developers, hackers, the next desktop PC based on ARM,
just a marketing tool for the OMAP line, hobby, or what exactly?

Unless that is clearly defined, there will be a lot of contradicting
"wishlists"

Lioric

David Anders

Aug 8, 2012, 2:36:15 PM8/8/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Lioric,

agreed, TI and PandaBoard.org have failed to clearly state the purpose of PandaBoard and how it is different from BeagleBoard......

Dave

Thomas

Aug 8, 2012, 4:45:35 PM8/8/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Just so it doesn't get lost. As mentioned on IRC.
Print some of the core HFAQ on the board/PCB.

e.g. "Doesn't boot without properly prepared SD card!"
"Don't power over USB"

Bonus points for routing some additional balls out to test points, doesn't need to be on headers as the PCB will be crammed anyway.

Måns Rullgård

Aug 8, 2012, 5:46:47 PM8/8/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Thomas <dm8...@gmail.com> writes:

> Just so it doesn't get lost. As mentioned on IRC.
> Print some of the core HFAQ on the board/PCB.
>
> e.g. "Doesn't boot without properly prepared SD card!"
> "Don't power over USB"

Bonus point if powering over USB is not possible at all.

--
Måns Rullgård
ma...@mansr.com

Tom Mitchell

Aug 8, 2012, 8:30:55 PM8/8/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
As for target market.
I am a lucky man and have both a Pandaboard and a Raspberry-PI.

The Raspberry-Pi has the low budget low hanging fruit covered (pun intended).
It is a marvel and very much addresses  the goals of a worthy machine placed
in the hands of students.  Thus, no obvious reason to reach for that bit
of the low end market today.

The Pandaboard is a much more serious board.   More cores, more memory,
faster clock...   enough to make me want just a bit more.    It is constrained on
memory so windowing suffers as a desktop.   It is constrained on "disk"
so SATA would be a win.   So reach up and load the PandaNext with as much
as the current price point can buy.  Knowing how functional the Pandaboard
is, an OMAP5 with enough more functionality could justify a 10-15% cost  bump.

In one of the TI papers they mention that the tablet and phone world will
be needing more memory as per TI research.    As a phone+tablet dev.
platform this could be critical as would a good display connector.

Now if TI and friends are feeling rich, please do both price points justice with an OMAP5
upgrade to both.

Joshi, Vikas

Aug 9, 2012, 12:59:26 AM8/9/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com

Got more input from yesterday’s posts to the thread. Tried to capture them all and categorize them.

Some members mentioned message not clear about what Panda is for and where it is going.

Agree that we need to get a clear message out and we will do it in the short future.

We want to capture all input. Some members have mobile in mind and give input in that direction.

Some others have PC like in mind and give input in that direction. We want to hear the community, capture the input.

There is always opportunity for derivative boards if enough community members are leaning towards a segment!

Vikas

Desirable:

Dimensions, connectors and Usability:

-          Thinner board – possibly do away with combo USB/ Ethernet and just keep Ethernet and some USB headers

-          Pay thought for cable management since lot of people put the boards in racks

-          All Connectors populated  ( either expansion connector / standard connector )

o    JTAG , Camera, LCD ,USB , SATA , PCIe , HDMI , etc or provision for expansion board which has connections for remaining

-          Lower barrier for full-image test automation

o   Put programmable power controller on board – this can be exposed over USB or over serial

o   Perhaps having equivalent of MSP430 on board would be good

-          Print some HFAQ on board/PCB – i.e. “Don’t power USB”, “Doesn’t boot without properly prepared SD card”

-          Have the board either 100% open or fully supported, don’t give answers like “not available or license restrictions”

-          Better documentation

-          Shorter and smaller more easily embedded

-          Imaging connector that’s in some way compatible with the Leopard imaging modules

-          More LED’s – blinking LED have high value to show off!

-          logic latch so the phone developer can hard disable external chips/devices  that clutter his goals

-          full clock speed of 2GHz

-          ARM-DS5 community edition support continued

Display:

-          Embedded display port/

o   Have dual or quad monitor capability out of the box

o   Keep LCD interface even if resister changing

-          Expansion and LCD headers – even if they cost more

-          HDMI and whatever other display the chip exposes

Memory

-          Dual channel DDR3 support

o   Possibly put 2 desktop RAM slots on board

-          Flash on Board ( 1 MB , NAND ?? )

o   Boot From flash

-          Expose SATA Link

-          4GB of RAM if not at least 2GB

o   scalable memory if possible

Connectivity

-          Upgrade to LSR TiWi5 module

-          Wifi and Bluetooth

-          1 USB3 OTG and three USB2 host links – so that no need for USB hub

-          Ethernet 10/100 is fine but a pair of 10/100/1000 links desirable

Booting, debugging

[...]

Power

-          12VDC automotive battery safe power option

-          Container Box with power supply

o   110/230 V power supply box which can house panda5 board and bring out required connections out.

o   This would reduce ESD mis-handling.

Camera

-          Include camera expansion connector with support for dual camera sensor – can try some 3D image processing

-          Would be nice if “ducati” was more transparent wrt kernel interface – like what galaxy nexus and openmax did

-          Four camera

mr_sven

Aug 9, 2012, 1:29:47 AM8/9/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I would like to have a Place to add a RTC backup battery like on BeagleBoard. In case of a standalone unit it is very helpful.

Regards Sven

Alison Chaiken

Aug 9, 2012, 2:05:53 AM8/9/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
I love all the ideas everybody has, and agree with most of them of
them, especially making the "why doesn't my Panda boot when I plug in
my UltraLaser mouse?" FAQ go away, plus the support for SATA and
somehow making console easier. Don't forget though, that all these
changes make the board larger and more expensive. What I'd like to
see is some of the features that are planned offered as daughter cards
as with the Beagle, for example accelerometer, GPS and CAN bus
adapter. I'm not sure if the expansion connectors and interface of
the board could somehow be redesigned to make it more attractive for
companies to offer them or if the Panda ecosystem is simply too small
to be attractive to manufacturers. Would it be possible to make
Panda's expansion connections compatible with the Beagle XM in the way
that chipKIT products accept Arduino accessories?

--
Alison Chaiken
(650) 279-5600 (cell) {she-devel.com,

Dan MacDonald

Aug 9, 2012, 2:43:58 AM8/9/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
The next Pandaboard should basically be as powerful as TI can make it whilst avoiding:

* Adding any need for cooling devices. Def. the top reason I bought my Panda was that its totally silent yet offers me a decent amount of processing power - this feature needs to stay to retain my interest.

* Making the board any bigger than it already is. I'd like the next revision to retain the layout of the Panda /ES as much as poss but I agree about the high rise ports / UART should be optional.

* Making it expensive. There are people on here asking for 4GB RAM etc. I won't be buying the next Panda if it costs me 2x or 3x what this model has

That my short list of top things to avoid but another has come to me that really nagged me when I first got my board

* The test suite should be able to show its test results over DVI/HDMI if your DVI/HDMI port is functional - if you see no results over DVI well you know that parts knackered (if you have tested the cable and screen already) - you'd be able to confirm the video hardware is broken via UART if you have a cable + second machine.

Emmanuel Deloget

Aug 10, 2012, 10:09:34 AM8/10/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com

Some ideas and counter-ideas.

Le jeudi 9 août 2012 06:59:26 UTC+2, VJ a écrit :

-          Have the board either 100% open or fully supported, don’t give answers like “not available or license restrictions”

The most important here is "fully supported". Even if some IP vendors do not want to open their code, TI must make sure that every bit of functionnality is supported by the shipped blobs. For instance, it's not possible (or excessively difficult) to have OpenGL ES and HD video decoding without X on the current Panda (this should not be a prerequisite).

-          Flash on Board ( 1 MB , NAND ?? )

o   Boot From flash

In my personnal experience, I believe this is a bad idea. Boot from flash means that you'll have to put extra effort to design something that will not be brickable - having to buy another PB because the flash is corrupted is harsh, and most people here will not buy a JTAG (even if there are some inexpensive ones).

I understand that some people will think that booting from flash is a good thing, but for a development board like the Panda, I think one shall make sure that the board will always boot (and this is not something you can achieve with flash).

-          Ethernet 10/100 is fine but a pair of 10/100/1000 links desirable

There is no need to transform the PB into an ethernet router (not to mention that 2 links means that the board should integrate a switch) but a Gbe link would definitely be a good thing (and even better if it's not a USB-based PHY).

-          Remove DB-9 serial port and instead just put a 10-pin header (easier in enclosures with ribbon cable)

o   Switch to low profile usb-serial would be better option

o   Make it as flat as possible – don’t use vertically stacked 3.5 mm and USB/RJ45 combination sockets

o   Please don’t ditch DB9 connector – hate to source extra parts just to get the board running first time

o   Have some _raw_ RS232 available – don’t care what connector it has

I'm all in favor of keeping the DB9. Any other option is very likely to become a PITA (not to mention that we already have the cables :))

-          BIOS Firmware support

o   Something similar to Award BIOS on PC/desktops/laptops

o   Diagnostics/Self Test on Flash instead of using validation image.

o   splash screen

o   Ability to Flash BIOS

... and to brick the box.

I'm not sure that a BIOS would add any value to the box. It's not a PC, and the current bootloader perform well. Similar functionnality can be achieved using a 2 stage bootloader (the first one performs the CPU init, the second one offers a few higher leve functionalities).

That would require nvram or something like a serial eeprom (i2c).  And that would be a good thing IMHO.

But the most important thing are :

* keep the hardware simple and inexpensive. If you can lower the price, do it.
* support your product - far beyond scenarios that you envisionned. If you cannot provide the source, provide blobs that are not tied to a particular scenarios (or multiple blobs, for different scenarios). There are hackers here and there that really want to do things you didn't think of. And remember that Ubuntu is NOT an embedded platform.

best regards,

-- Emmanuel

Tom Mitchell

Aug 10, 2012, 2:20:24 PM8/10/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 11:43 PM, Dan MacDonald <all...@gmail.com> wrote:
The next Pandaboard should basically be as powerful as TI can make it whilst avoiding:

Good list....

Of critical importance to me is eliminating the risk of becoming a BRICK
so +1 on Dan's comments.

Those that want a BIOS can develop and build one then install it on the SD card.
A BIOS is just a bootstrap tool one of MANY.    For students of computer
science this low level stuff is is important to learn.    Lack of a fixed BIOS also permits
the development of true embedded systems.     Thin would be nice but for a development
board constrains what can be brought out.   I have no problem with the height and
know that should I want to build a "thin product" stuffing options would get me
to a product as would a slightly different lay out.   But without the development
platform the task at hand gets more difficult.   So this is a good thing.

David Anders

Aug 10, 2012, 2:31:08 PM8/10/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
just FYI on the "brick" comment. the OMAP3/4/5 all have an on board ROM that basically prevents the system from being "bricked". you can always boot from uart, usb, or sd card. other boot options that are being discussed such as boot from eMMC, and SATA are possible with OMAP5....

Dave

Tom Mitchell

Aug 10, 2012, 8:09:41 PM8/10/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 11:31 AM, David Anders <dande...@gmail.com> wrote:

> just FYI on the "brick" comment. the OMAP3/4/5 all have an on board ROM that basically prevents the system from being "bricked". you can always boot from uart, usb, or sd card. other boot options that are being discussed such as boot from eMMC, and SATA are possible with OMAP5....
>
> Dave

Thank you.
Good to know the value of the
various I/O options. Time for me to dig deeper
into the documentation.

Rob Clark

Aug 11, 2012, 10:47:37 AM8/11/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Emmanuel Deloget <log...@free.fr> wrote:

>> - Have the board either 100% open or fully supported, don’t give
>> answers like “not available or license restrictions”
>

> The most important here is "fully supported". Even if some IP vendors do not
> want to open their code, TI must make sure that every bit of functionnality
> is supported by the shipped blobs. For instance, it's not possible (or
> excessively difficult) to have OpenGL ES and HD video decoding without X on
> the current Panda (this should not be a prerequisite).

It is certainly a challenge to support every possible permutation of
windowing system, application that could use hw video encode/decode,
etc. We'd like to be able to support non-X11 environments as well,
but well.. some limitation about # of hours in a day and we need to
sleep for at least a couple of them :-P

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I *think* we have the most comprehensive
gpu and video encode/decode support for linux, compared to any of the
other community ARM boards. I think snowball and some of the others
may include x11+gles but I don't think they have hw video decode. We
do try to support as much as possible.

And this should improve once we are ready to push wayland/weston
support (which we are getting closer to).. weston is using gles
without x11, using a combination of kms/gbm and some egl extensions to
go between egl-images and buffer objects that you can pass to
drmModePageFlip(), etc. An application that wished to bypass X11
could do the same. It is a bit more complex than nullws, but this is
out of necessity as it is a lot more powerful (can deal with hotplug,
multiple displays, using hw overlays to bypass GPU when appropriate,
etc).

Obviously it would be much easier for us if we could just give out the
src code for the gles stuff.. if someone wanted something that we
didn't have time to implement ourselves, well they could always send a
patch. Sadly this is not an option. If it was, we would have done it
a long time ago.

BR,
-R

Go Arirang

Aug 12, 2012, 11:19:00 AM8/12/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I agree the $129 of Exynos-4412 ARM Quad-core board has a good direction.
Every developers will love the small form factor, rich (optional/official) interfaces, computing power as well as superior low cost.

2012/8/4 Lioric <lioric...@gmail.com>
> > if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next
> > generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide
> > them!

Expansion (and LCD) headers already in place (even if it costs a
little more)

MicroSD or at least the SD more contained within the board

Instead of a switch for the boot order, a switch to select the
external wifi antenna (or another switch if the one for the boot order
is really used)

Remove the DB-9 serial port and instead put just a 10 pin header (that
will make it easier to place the debugger serial port in enclosures,
with a ribbon cable)

All of this is from a hobby perspective of course, so probably is not
in line with what you need. Anyway I was thinking on something as the
direction of the Exynos4412 Quad-core board (for $129) is heading to
(form-wise)

Lioric

On Aug 3, 9:25 am, Robert Nelson <robertcnel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM, David Anders <danders....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Greetings All,
>
> > if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next
> > generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide
> > them!
>
> Looking at the specs of the omap543x's, how about Panda like, but with
> sata and an upgrade to the LSR TiWi5 module...
>
> Of course, if the DRAM prices have fallen enough, 2GB of ram would be
> nice too. ;)
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Robert Nelsonhttp://www.rcn-ee.com/

rahul

Aug 15, 2012, 3:39:18 PM8/15/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
I have two requests, and both are on the software side:

1. Pandaboard provided good Ubuntu support and it would be great to see that continue. Too many other dev boards are focused on Android only.
2. If possible, provide OpenCL drivers for the GPU.

thanks,
rahul

On Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:10:34 PM UTC-4, David Anders wrote:
Greetings All,

if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide them!

Dave

TheSmileMan

Aug 15, 2012, 10:03:33 PM8/15/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
OpenCL drivers at launch are a must. Getting the drivers for the current board has taken so long. We need to actually be able to access the hardware from the start with solid tools (or even beta tools).

Jim

David Anders

Aug 26, 2012, 11:28:10 PM8/26/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com, stu....@gmail.com
with the exception of the SGX GPU, every piece of the OMAP4 has driver support and is open source and fully supported.....

Dave

On Saturday, August 25, 2012 10:23:15 AM UTC-5, stu....@gmail.com wrote:
The OMAP4 is generally very cool, but it was the _nominal_ OpenCL support that really attracted me to it, and the lack of _actual_ OpenCL support that has delayed my developing on it.

My summary:

- start with the existing PandaBoard

- as part of replacing the OMAP4 with the OMAP5, _expose_ everything the latter can do (but not necessarily w/full hardware on the main board, daughterboards & headers are fine)

- SATA, SD and _all_ the USB ports (inter alia) should be connectorized, _not_ headers

- SATA, SD and USB boot all should be supported

- I would rather _not_ have flash on the main board (MicroSD is perfect)

- do not skimp on RAM (2GB is an absolute minimum and more is better)

I agree that drivers for each hardware subsystem must be fully open source and/or fully supported.

To facilitate moving beyond hobby scale development, provisions should be made for production volumes (obviously at non-subsidized prices).

All just IMHO, of course.

Emmanuel Deloget

Aug 29, 2012, 8:08:33 AM8/29/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com, jobe...@gmail.com
This will raise the price of the board and is unnecessary for many applications. I, for example, don't want that touchscreen. Farnell lists a capacitive touchscreen at 17,19 € (q >= 500) si I guess adding one of these to the PB will add at least 25-30$ to the price (if not more).

On Saturday, August 25, 2012 11:33:45 PM UTC+2, jobe...@gmail.com wrote:
+1 for 4.3'' LCD touchscreen already in place.

David Anders

Aug 31, 2012, 11:10:39 AM8/31/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com, bill.f...@teamfdi.com
just some clarifications:

1) MIPI is an organization which has a wide range of standards. the LCD panel you linked to is a MIPI DSI panel.
2) OMAP MIPI DSI support has been in the mainline kernel since before the release of the PandaBoard.
3) the PandaBoard-ES has a fully support 4 data lane MIPI DSI expansion header on the bottom of the board.

Dave

On Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:39:25 AM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
I'm personally interested in running one of these 8.9" 1920x1200 displays from the OMAP5 dev board.
It uses a MIPI interface. You should be able to run 2 or 3 from one OMAP5.
If all of the MIPI interfaces are brought out to headers it should be simple to build a hardware adapter board.
I am worried though about the software/drivers. If driver support is non-existent like it seemed to be on the Panda it could be really difficult to get them to run.

Austin Schuh

Aug 31, 2012, 6:49:11 PM8/31/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
The two features that I'd really like to see are an ethernet link that doesn't use a USB based PHY, and SATA.

SATA is one of the features that has me most excited about the new OMAP5.  I forsee owning a couple boards if it supports SATA.

Austin Schuh

Andy Tai

Nov 3, 2012, 12:51:59 AM11/3/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
This may be a dump question, but ARM hardware cannot offer support for PC style RAM slots?  Would that allow use of inexpensive RAM chips?  For development hardware, or server, is this possible?

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 10:03 AM, <mario...@gmail.com> wrote:
My qishlist for the next panda is simple just add micro PCI support
this way the users can equp it with wathever thy want
sata; sata; radio; rtc clock ...;
not just one 2 or 3 at the sides of the bord (the user needs to create a mounting board to fix the extra cards

thx
Mario

Am Freitag, 3. August 2012 02:10:34 UTC+2 schrieb David Anders:
Greetings All,

if you have a wishlist and/or things you wanted changed on the next generation OMAP5 community development board, now is the time to provide them!

Dave

--
Andy Tai, at...@atai.org, Skype: licheng.tai
Year 2012 民國101年

Chuck McManis

Nov 3, 2012, 8:59:44 PM11/3/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Andy Tai <at...@atai.org> wrote:
This may be a dump question, but ARM hardware cannot offer support for PC style RAM slots?  Would that allow use of inexpensive RAM chips?  For development hardware, or server, is this possible?

Not a dumb question, There isn't anything particularly difficult about adding a JEDEC compliant memory bus to the chip, just that demand has been non-existent. I expect that to change with AMD's Opteron ARM chips which are designed to be used in Servers (rather than embedded devices) so its a design feature that you can have 1, 2 or even 256 GB of RAM on them.

--Chuck

Dawid Ciężarkiewicz

Nov 3, 2012, 10:08:53 PM11/3/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Any information on when such a nice omap5 board would be available?

Regards,
Dawid

Ming Lei

Nov 9, 2012, 8:32:19 AM11/9/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Samsung A15 based Arndale board is coming now, see below:

http://www.arndaleboard.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Maybe OMAP5 Community Board can refer to Arndale's spec.

Hope it may be released soon, :-)

Thanks,
--
Ming Lei

Joaquin Castellanos

Nov 12, 2012, 1:33:17 PM11/12/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com

Here some (industrial)
system-on-module (SoM) based on omap5 that will be available soon.

http://www.embedded.rs/products/ti-omap5430-pico-itx-sbc

http://www.variscite.com/products/item/96-var-som-om54-omap5432
http://www.phytec.com/products/som/phycore/omap5.html

Best Regards
Joaquin

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 5:47 AM, spych102 <peters...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just noticed that the Arndale has a mechanical power switch and the Origen has this too. Very useful.

omap7777

Nov 30, 2012, 9:12:52 PM11/30/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com

Nicolas Dechesne

Mar 6, 2013, 2:06:13 AM3/6/13
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 8:28 PM, mitzals <pe...@student.chalmers.se> wrote:
> Some of your wishes may have come true. I have stumbled upon an
> unidentifiable dev pandaboard recently used by QNX - pause this video from
> youtube, after changing the resolution to max. What do you think?

oh oh... that sounds familiar to me ;-)

casso

Mar 6, 2013, 7:25:34 PM3/6/13
to panda...@googlegroups.com
That board looks similar to the Arndale board. The reasons why I think it is taken from the Arndale reference are the two USB OTG ports, the SATA port and the camera interface (bottom of picture). I don't know so much about the audio interfaces so I could be wrong. Either that USB header on the right is for USB3.0, or something is weird with their setup. Why else would you connect a USB to Ethernet adapter, yet have Ethernet support via a header on the left side?

casso

Mar 7, 2013, 8:03:42 PM3/7/13
to panda...@googlegroups.com, plug...@p10link.net

On Friday, March 8, 2013 3:33:10 AM UTC+11, plug...@p10link.net wrote:

On Thursday, March 7, 2013 12:25:34 AM UTC, casso wrote:
That board looks similar to the Arndale board.
The board in the video clearly had a pandaboard logo on to me. It seems highly unlikely that Ti would make a board with a competitors chip on it.

The reasons why I think it is taken from the Arndale reference are the two USB OTG ports, the SATA port and the camera interface (bottom of picture).
Two mini/micro USB ports is hardly unusual, with serial ports becoming less common it's quite common to have a dedicated USB device port connected to a USB to serial chip for debugging and a second for an OTG connection to the main processor.

I don't know so much about the audio interfaces so I could be wrong. Either that USB header on the right is for USB3.0, or something is weird with their setup. Why else would you connect a USB to Ethernet adapter, yet have Ethernet support via a header on the left side?
My guess would be that the onboard ethernet isn't working properly in their configuration.

 That answers that one then. Modified PandaBoard design with USB to serial and SATA onboard. I did notice the logo, but couldn't make it out because it was upside down. Now that you mentioned PandaBoard it does look familiar.

casso

Mar 7, 2013, 8:12:53 PM3/7/13
to panda...@googlegroups.com, plug...@p10link.net

Just watched whole clip (yes I deserve flaming for that). It's a stock PandaBoard earlier on in the clip for sure. What they end up using after around 2 minutes into this clip doesn't look stock, but you may certainly be right on it having the PandaBoard logo.

David Anders

Mar 11, 2013, 5:51:35 PM3/11/13
to panda...@googlegroups.com, plug...@p10link.net
yes it is an OMAP5432 based board....

Tom Mitchell

Mar 11, 2013, 7:32:09 PM3/11/13
to panda...@googlegroups.com, plug...@p10link.net
> yes it is an OMAP5432 based board....
That is cool.
So far the only omap5 boards I have found are a bit expensive but time will tell
if this is the follow up to the panda or someone else's special purpose product.

I am very happy with the pandaboard even with the annoyance that the
graphics drivers
are not open and in the main flow. Folk at Ti have been making progress but
it would be cleaner if they were not on an add on distribution.

To be fair the ARM universe is a minor tangle. With all the freedom
that ARM gives we have seen the
development of a number of binary compatible designs and issues.

My mental clock tells me that the contractors at Ti working on the
OMAP5 follow up to
the panda are about to pull the curtain back from their project. ;-)

The complexity of these modern systems on a chip has my brain hurting.

David Anders

Mar 13, 2013, 12:04:18 AM3/13/13
to panda...@googlegroups.com, plug...@p10link.net
uh no...

David Anders

Mar 21, 2013, 10:34:55 AM3/21/13
to panda...@googlegroups.com, plug...@p10link.net
what would have been the omap5 based pandaboard  is now available from svtronics by invitation only:

https://www.svtronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=33

Nicolas Dechesne

May 10, 2013, 5:07:31 AM5/10/13
to panda...@googlegroups.com, jnane...@gmail.com, plug...@p10link.net

Le 9 mai 2013 19:53, "Jnaneshwar" <jnane...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
>        I am Jnaneshwar from Bangalore, India.  I am new to this community.     I am specialist  in embedded system.   I would like to involve in software  development for omap5 based board and also I would like to open distribution centre in India.   Kindly share evaluation board for software development purpose  and process to become distributor for omap5 board.   Please share some more references.

Hmmm.. i am afraid it might be a little too late!

> Thanks and regards
> Jnaneshwar B.T.

Nicolas Dechesne

May 10, 2013, 6:41:40 AM5/10/13
to Jnaneshwar T, panda...@googlegroups.com

No private msg, please. Cc  pandaboard group.

Le 10 mai 2013 11:18, "Jnaneshwar T" <jnane...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Thank you for response.     Any suggestions to proceed further?  I am bit serious about it.  I would like to buy the hardware board.  How can I get it?

OMAP5 panda was cancelled. You should check out the 5432 EVM from svtronics which has lots in common with the never released panda5. However please note that this board is not a pandaboard.org board.

See https://www.svtronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=33

Jnaneshwar T

May 10, 2013, 2:17:11 PM5/10/13
to Nicolas Dechesne, panda...@googlegroups.com
Ok.   To begin I  can  start for my development activities on this board.

How can I  become distributor for the pandaboard &  all upcoming new boards ?   Do I need to become member for the same?     I am aware that it is bit too late.  Can I have hope for the same for all upcoming new boards?  If so,  can you please elaborate procedure to become h/w distributor. Please brief about the business strategy / partnership for the same.

Tom Mitchell

May 11, 2013, 12:08:31 AM5/11/13
to panda...@googlegroups.com, Nicolas Dechesne
Since TI canceled their project there is no procedure.
There are no upcoming new boards known to the public
and there are no rumors hinting at future products.

To the best of my knowledge these people (svtronics) now have rights to make
and distribute what might have been the next gen pandaboard board.
It would have had its own name and own community. The hardware
is just different enough that this group would likely find it a distraction.

See https://www.svtronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=33

Contact them and if you can build your product on top of it work with svtronics.
If you wish to modify the design or craft your own design you will have to start
talks with TI as well as the other chip vendors the board depends on.

For those of us that like to tinker there other options to look at.
One is to buy a $250 chromebook and load it with code of your own
invention. The chromebox is another hacking target. There are
a lot of low cost tablets out there many are very friendly to hacking.

So talk to svtronics

Bill

May 12, 2013, 8:19:26 AM5/12/13
to panda...@googlegroups.com, Nicolas Dechesne
What makes the SVTronics hardware a distraction? It seems to have about every feature that we asked for within reason.
The only things really different are that it has a microSD slot and a USB-TTL instead of a big bulky DB9. (and no Pandaboard logo)

The only negative thing I can see is the $330 price of the board. (being 10 layers has something to do with that I'm sure)
If you look at the spec document they seem to include the full schematics, and you can also get a copy of the BOM and gerbers apparently.
So if you really want to develop on the OMAP5 and don't want to purchase something like a SOMDIMM style pin-limited module, this is what you should buy.

However Samsung's Arndale board is $80 cheaper and it has better expansion options.

Bill

David Anders

May 23, 2013, 7:52:29 PM5/23/13
to panda...@googlegroups.com, Nicolas Dechesne
Bill,

the omap5432 uEVM is for all practical purposes the PandaBoard5 minus the logo as you point out.

the key difference is that TI no longer subsidizes the cost of the OMAP processor, for the OMAP5432 uEVM you are paying full price.....

that is where the cost difference comes from....

Dave

par...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2013, 11:02:21 AM6/13/13
to panda...@googlegroups.com

I thought this may be useful for individual developers who are looking for some discount for OMAP5432 EVM. Please use coupon code " 30OFF5432 " for getting $30 off on OMAP5432EVM when you purchase the boards from www.svtronics.com. you need to create a login to use this coupon

mult...@gmail.com

May 19, 2014, 5:52:32 AM5/19/14
to panda...@googlegroups.com
I must say, this OMAP5432 EVM is labeled as "Pandaboard5" in the official documentation. So yes, that seems to be the latest official Pandaboard available