LCD Touchscreen recommendation for pandaboard?

Clay Culver

Jan 14, 2011, 3:24:01 PM1/14/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
I apologize in advance, since this isn't strictly a panda question, but I'm hoping someone out there has some advice for me.

I recently purchased a PandaBoard + accessories.  I would like an LCD touchscreen for the current project I'm working on, but I have not found a solid recommendation on one to buy.  Specifically, I'm worried I'll buy an LCD touchscreen that's either incompatible with the PandaBoard hardware (unlikely, but it's possible), or that there won't be Linux kernel drivers to support it (for example, this looks great except for the fact that the touch portion doesn't work!  http://omappedia.org/wiki/IMO-AT7-Configure_and_Setup).

So my question is:  Has anyone out there successfully gotten an LCD touchscreen fully working (that is: touch + video) on the Panda/Ubuntu, and if so could you give a make/model for it?  I'm looking for something around 7"-11".

Thanks!
-Clay

prpplague

Jan 17, 2011, 2:41:38 PM1/17/11
to pandaboard
Clay,

there aren't any "off the shelf" items currently available for a 7 to
11 inch display. liquidware has a nice display that includes touch:

http://www.liquidware.com/shop/show/BB-BT/BeagleTouch

4-wire resistive touchscreens can be easily interface to the beagle/
panda via i2c or spi using a touchscreen controller such as the
TSC2007. in addition there are a wide range of 4-wire resistive
touchscreen controllers that support usb interface:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?WT.z_header=search_go&lang=en&site=us&keywords=360-2448-ND&x=0&y=0

digikey also carries a full line of touchscreen panels:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=525002&k=Touch%20Screens

there are so many possible solutions to your question, you may need to
narrow down your requirements first before moving forward.

thanks
Dave

On Jan 14, 2:24 pm, Clay Culver <clay.cul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I apologize in advance, since this isn't *strictly* a panda question, but
> I'm hoping someone out there has some advice for me.
>
> I recently purchased a PandaBoard + accessories.  I would like an LCD
> *touchscreen
> *for the current project I'm working on, but I have not found a solid
> recommendation on one to buy.  Specifically, I'm worried I'll buy an LCD
> touchscreen that's either incompatible with the PandaBoard hardware
> (unlikely, but it's possible), or that there won't be Linux kernel drivers
> to support it (for example, this looks great except for the fact that the
> touch portion doesn't work!http://omappedia.org/wiki/IMO-AT7-Configure_and_Setup).

Asad Akbar

Jan 18, 2011, 5:39:47 AM1/18/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Lilliput can also be a good candidate. Right now I am using http://www.lilliputweb.net/index.php?Controller=User_Product&action=ShowProduct&product_id=92.

Regards,
Asad Akbar

Mrityunjay

Jul 1, 2011, 7:32:06 PM7/1/11
to Asad Akbar, panda...@googlegroups.com

Hi Asad,
Is the Lilliput LCD+TS working on your Pandaboard ? Which OS are you
using on the Pandaboard, I am planning to buy a LCD + TS for
Pandaboard and would like to know this one works well.

Thanks,
Mrityunjay

On Jan 18, 6:39 am, Asad Akbar <asadak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lilliput can also be a good candidate. Right now I am usinghttp://www.lilliputweb.net/index.php?Controller=User_Product&action=S...
> .
>
> Regards,
> Asad Akbar
>

> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:41 AM, prpplague <dave123...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Clay,
>
> > there aren't any "off the shelf" items currently available for a 7 to
> > 11 inch display. liquidware has a nice display that includes touch:
>
> >http://www.liquidware.com/shop/show/BB-BT/BeagleTouch
>
> > 4-wire resistive touchscreens can be easily interface to the beagle/
> > panda via i2c or spi using a touchscreen controller such as the
> > TSC2007. in addition there are a wide range of 4-wire resistive
> > touchscreen controllers that support usb interface:
>

> >http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?WT.z_header=sear...

> > digikey also carries a full line of touchscreen panels:
>

> >http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=525002&k=Tou...

Siji Sunny

Oct 31, 2011, 8:37:49 AM10/31/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com, Asad Akbar
Hi Asad,
What's the price of this LCD/Touch for a single piece.

MasterX

Nov 16, 2011, 10:46:43 AM11/16/11
to pandaboard
Also, these guys offer plug-and-play solution for BeagleBoard and
PandaBoard: http://bb-lvds.blogspot.com
Price looks very reasonable for 10" LCD with capacitive touchscreen
and automatic brightness control.
I have their old LVDS board connected to Sharp LCD panel, and it works
OK with my BeagleBoard-xM revB.

Sean Keeney

Nov 30, 2011, 6:41:47 AM11/30/11
to pandaboard
Hi,

Do you know what the viewing angles are like on this? I'm looking at
using one with a Pandaboard as an Android car head-unit but obviously
in that environment the brightness and angles are critical.

Ta,

Sean

beada

Dec 7, 2011, 5:33:02 AM12/7/11
to pandaboard
This 7" LCD + Touch may fit your needs since it inlcudes an easy mount
support frame + Innolux AT070TN92 TFT designed especially for car
applications.
http://groups.google.com/group/pandaboard/browse_thread/thread/e779a7275313b7ce/73f6a5702d2c7eea?lnk=gst&q=7%22+LCD#73f6a5702d2c7eea

rajesh

Dec 13, 2011, 7:02:34 AM12/13/11
to pandaboard
Hi,

To use this LVDS LCD panel do we need to change in the kernel
source...or it will work out of the box

On Nov 16, 8:46 pm, MasterX <klim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, these guys offer plug-and-play solution for BeagleBoard and
> PandaBoard:http://bb-lvds.blogspot.com

> Price looks very reasonable for 10"LCDwith capacitive touchscreen
> and automatic brightness control.
> I have their old LVDS board connected to SharpLCDpanel, and it works

AceX

Dec 21, 2011, 3:14:15 PM12/21/11
to pandaboard
Hello Rajesh,

It will work out of the box, no kernel patch is required.

Ace.

Chuck Randy

Dec 21, 2011, 11:00:48 PM12/21/11
to pandaboard
Does anyone know if the Acer T231H multitouch monitor will work with
the panda board running Android ICS? I know that the monitor works in
Ubuntu because the functionality is built into the linux kernel since
2.6.32 I believe. If the Android developers didn't remove that
functionality then that would be a nice 23" multitouch monitor.

Radu Oprean

Feb 7, 2012, 3:05:47 AM2/7/12
to pandaboard
Dear AceX,

Do you know if it would work with Ubuntu as well?

Thank you!

MasterX

Feb 11, 2012, 6:14:54 AM2/11/12
to pandaboard
Let me answer. It works with Ubuntu, no prob. I used image from this
page: http://omappedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Pre-Built_Binaries

Nilesh

Mar 29, 2012, 2:43:49 AM3/29/12
to pandaboard

Dear MasterX,

Can i connect lvds lcd to pandaboard with ubuntu?
which ubuntu image is do this work.
i have tried alot but it dosnt work.
i have (chalk-elec) 10 in lcd+lvds.

David Anders

Mar 29, 2012, 11:36:25 AM3/29/12
to pandaboard
Nilesh,

the stock ubuntu builds do not support an lvds display via the DPI
interface currently.

new kernel images for ubuntu will be made available from TinCanTools
for their LVDS board that support ubuntu.

Dave

Milton

Mar 30, 2012, 12:26:38 AM3/30/12
to pandaboard
Nilesh

Yes LVDS display available at following link can be interfaced with
hardware modifications + expansion board

http://tenettech.com/category.php?id_category=303

Radu Oprean

Apr 4, 2012, 4:12:33 AM4/4/12
to pandaboard
Hi Dave,

I tried a bit of experimenting before actually buying an LCD panel -
that is I tried to enable the on-board DVI output and configure a
custom resolution for it, however I did not get any picture on the
screen and I had to revert to original settings. I used Ubuntu Oneiric
stock build, and the bootargs were the following:
vram=16M omapdss.def_disp=dvi omapfb.mode=dvi:1280x720MR-24@60

I am not sure if I did not do something REALLY stupid, I am not so
familiar with Linux stuff, just trying to learn a little.
If you have any idea about what could have been wrong, please let me
know.

Cheers,
Radu