The fullscreen hw accelerated

black_panda

Nov 17, 2011, 4:07:11 AM11/17/11
to pandaboard, x-bo...@ti.com
Good day everyone,

First of all, thanks for Xavier Boudet 's support !
Yesterday I succeeded in setting the h/w accelerated up.
After that I meet a issue again.
In window mode the player runs well.
But when I change the player to the fullscreen mode ,

the image of the player is not continuing and with a little rock.

my test gst-pipeline :

gst-launch playbin2 uri="file:///myfile" video-sink="pvrvideosink"

my monitor :
samsung 2493hm

Any solutions ? What should I try next?

with regards,
forest

XavBoudet

Nov 17, 2011, 11:49:34 AM11/17/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hello Forest,

This shall work even if we are still facing some performance issues.

1- Can you please confirm if your filesystem and video clip are on the SD card .
If both filesystem and media are on SD Card, you might have some issues.
I would advise you to use USB Drive/stick for Filesystem:
Or at least try with video on USB drive/stick.

2- Can you try display settings with lower resolution? Does it help?

3- You can also try to install gnome-session-fallback in a way to be able to open a session in "Gnome Classical".
Can you try with such settings? Compositing will be then disabled and video performance improved.

Regards

Xavier.

XavBoudet

Nov 17, 2011, 11:23:20 AM11/17/11
to pandaboard
Hi Forest,

This shall work.

You shall try/check several think:
1- are you using filesystem on SD card? Do you have the video on the
SD card also?
I would advise whatever to have the FS on USB drive/stick, it is much
quicker then.
You can check:
http://omappedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_on_OMAP_FAQ#I_want_to_install_Ubuntu_on_external_USB_hard_disk_instead_of_sluggish_SD_card
At least put the video on USB drive and keep Filesystem on SD card.

2- Can you try with lower display resolution to see if the behavior is
the same?

3- Can you install gnome-session-fallback and log in into "Gnome
Classical" mode? In fact it will disable the compositing and that
might improve the situation.

Regards,

Xavier.

Raju

Nov 18, 2011, 12:09:19 AM11/18/11
to pandaboard
Hi Xavier,

I am also facing same issue.
My FS is on SD card and Video is on USB stick.

I will try same by moving FS to USB stick and let you know the status.

Thanks,
Raju.

On Nov 17, 9:23 pm, XavBoudet <xaaa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Forest,
>
> This shall work.
>
> You shall try/check several think:
> 1- are you using filesystem on SD card? Do you have the video on the
> SD card also?
> I would advise whatever to have the FS on USB drive/stick, it is much
> quicker then.

> You can check:http://omappedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_on_OMAP_FAQ#I_want_to_install_Ubuntu...

black_panda

Nov 18, 2011, 9:32:51 AM11/18/11
to pandaboard
Hi Xavier,

My SD card provides system 45MB/s speed ,
so I don't think the key reason is like what your said.
But "Gnome Classical" mode is a pretty good thing .
It make the system run more smoothly than before.

I suspect the cause is that when the video plays in fullscreen
mode,
the ratio of the image does not fit the screen.

I am new to multimedia technology,and always keep on studying.
Thank for your help!

Regards,

Forrest

> Hi Forest,
>
> This shall work.
>
> You shall try/check several think:
> 1- are you using filesystem on SD card? Do you have the video on the
> SD card also?
> I would advise whatever to have the FS on USB drive/stick, it is much
> quicker then.

> You can check:http://omappedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_on_OMAP_FAQ#I_want_to_install_Ubuntu...

su liangbiao

Nov 20, 2011, 2:03:37 AM11/20/11
to pandaboard
hi XavBoudet,

i am using filesystem on SD card, and have the video(1080p) on the sd
card,
when i lower the display resolution from 1920x1080 to 1280x720, it
play well under fullscreen mode.

Regards,

stevens

On Nov 18, 12:23 am, XavBoudet <xaaa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Forest,
>
> This shall work.
>
> You shall try/check several think:
> 1- are you using filesystem on SD card? Do you have the video on the
> SD card also?
> I would advise whatever to have the FS on USB drive/stick, it is much
> quicker then.

> You can check:http://omappedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_on_OMAP_FAQ#I_want_to_install_Ubuntu...

black_panda

Nov 20, 2011, 7:58:12 PM11/20/11
to pandaboard
Hi stevens,

Your situation is quite like mine.
I have used the same solution to overcome it.

Regards,
forest

E V

Nov 23, 2011, 11:04:02 AM11/23/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Is there any way to have *real* fullscreen with a pipeline like the one you wrote? Using that pipeline (gst-launch playbin2 uri="file:///myfile" video-sink="pvrvideosink") i get a "titlebar".

Duncan Cunningham

Nov 23, 2011, 12:13:56 PM11/23/11
to pandaboard
Can you share how you got h/w accelerated video working?

su liangbiao

Nov 27, 2011, 7:57:12 AM11/27/11
to pandaboard
hi, all

how can i scale video 1102x622 to 1280x720 using gst pipeline and
pvrvideosink on pandaboard?

thanks

stevens

Tuffeuffe

Nov 30, 2011, 4:03:51 PM11/30/11
to pandaboard
Hello everybody,

I was considering making a new thread, but I think this one fits well.

Similar to the creator of this thread, I'm having problems when I
maximize the window. My problem, however, is that the frames strangely
jerks when playing. It looks like a number of frames are played
correctly, then at constant intervals an old frame pops up. If for
example a man is walking, it looks like he once in a while is taking a
step back.

My configuration:
Panda Board rev A3
Ubuntu 11.10 (Preinstalled desktop image)
LG 32lk430 1080p display
installed ubuntu-omap4-extras
totem video player used
file system on SD-card
16GB class 10 SD-card
video on external harddrive
examples of files played:
http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/redirect-high-definition.php?file=hd_distributor_20th_century_fox.rar
http://downloads.dvdloc8.com/trailers/divxdigest/simpsons_movie_1080p_trailer.zip

For installation, I simply downloaded the image from the ubuntu
homepage, loaded it to the SD-Card, ran an update, and then
immediately installed the OMAP4 packages.

I'm sure that some hardware decoding is done, since it otherwise would
be about 1/100 fps (seen when using vlc). What surprises me is that I
get into problem even though I'm having the same setup as the
developers should have (or maybe I'm wrong here?). That makes me
wonder, has ANYBODY been able to play full-hd videos correctly on
ubuntu 11.10? If so, please let me know what is different in your
setup, so I hopefully can mimic it.

Thanks in advance!

Ulf

fisuk

Dec 1, 2011, 2:32:41 PM12/1/11
to pandaboard
I'm having exactly the same problem.

On Nov 30, 11:03 pm, Tuffeuffe <ulf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I was considering making a new thread, but I think this one fits well.
>
> Similar to the creator of this thread, I'm having problems when I
> maximize the window. My problem, however, is that the frames strangely
> jerks when playing. It looks like a number of frames are played
> correctly, then at constant intervals an old frame pops up. If for
> example a man is walking, it looks like he once in a while is taking a
> step back.
>
> My configuration:
> Panda Board rev A3
> Ubuntu 11.10 (Preinstalled desktop image)
> LG 32lk430 1080p display
> installed ubuntu-omap4-extras
> totem video player used
> file system on SD-card
> 16GB class 10 SD-card
> video on external harddrive

> examples of files played:http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/redirect-high-definition.php?file=h...http://downloads.dvdloc8.com/trailers/divxdigest/simpsons_movie_1080p...

black_panda

Dec 5, 2011, 1:59:55 AM12/5/11
to pandaboard
OK,let me give you some information.
Several weeks ago , I finished to set the dev env up on the pandaboard
by below steps.
1.download the precise-preinstalled-desktop-armel+omap4.img.gz
#gunzip precise-preinstalled-desktop-armel+omap4.img.gz
#sudo dd bs=4M if=precise-preinstalled-desktop-armel+omap4.img of=/dev/
sdb
2.reboot and configure the ubuntu
3.set the gtk env up
#sudo apt-get update
#sudo apt-get install gnome-core-devel
#sudo reboot
4.update the kernel
#sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
5.add the ppa to source.list (or click the addon shortcut twice)
#sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tiomap-dev/release
6.setup the omap4-addons
#sudo apt-get update
#sudo apt-get install ubuntu-omap4-extras*
#sudo apt-get autoremove
#sudo reboot
7.test the env
#totem mymovies.mov
8.test the player
#totem mymovies.mov

FIY:
If you use the gstreamer pipeline to play the 1080P movie in fullsreen
mode.
you need to use the pvrvideosink as videosink.
and set the videosink's porperty "force-aspect-ratio" to true.
Maybe also need to adjust your monitor to a reasonable display
resolution.
such like :#xrandr -s 1680x1050

May my info helps!

Regards,
yours forest

On 12月2日, 上午3时32分, fisuk <fisu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having exactly the same problem.
>
> On Nov 30, 11:03 pm, Tuffeuffe <ulf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hello everybody,
>
> > I was considering making a new thread, but I think this one fits well.
>
> > Similar to the creator of this thread, I'm having problems when I
> > maximize the window. My problem, however, is that the frames strangely
> > jerks when playing. It looks like a number of frames are played
> > correctly, then at constant intervals an old frame pops up. If for
> > example a man is walking, it looks like he once in a while is taking a
> > step back.
>
> > My configuration:
> > Panda Board rev A3
> > Ubuntu 11.10 (Preinstalled desktop image)
> > LG 32lk430 1080p display
> > installed ubuntu-omap4-extras
> > totem video player used
> > file system on SD-card
> > 16GB class 10 SD-card
> > video on external harddrive

> > examples of files played:http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/redirect-high-definition.php?file=h......

Ken M.Hwang

Dec 5, 2011, 2:53:29 AM12/5/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all

I wanted to build usbboot for PandaBoard.
Source from:
git clone git://github.com/swetland/omap4boot.git

Toolchain:
gcc version 4.5.2 (Sourcery G++ Lite 2011.03-41)

But an error occurred as follow:

assemble trusted.S
trusted.S: Assembler messages:
trusted.S:10: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode `smc 1'
make: *** [out/panda/target-obj/trusted.o] Error 1

trusted.S:
1 .global call_trusted
2
3 call_trusted:
4 stmfd sp!, {r4-r12,lr}
5 mov r6, #0xff
6 mov r12, #0
7 dsb
8 isb
9 dmb
10 smc 1
11 ldmfd sp!, {r4-r12,lr}
12 bx lr

I modified the Makefile as the description here:https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/4/18/249.
Unfortunately, it occurred another error:

assemble trusted.S
cc1: error: bad value (armv7-) for -march switch
make: *** [out/panda/target-obj/trusted.o] Error 1

Any help will very appreciate.

Best Regards,
Ken M.Hwang

christian667

Dec 6, 2011, 1:54:03 AM12/6/11
to pandaboard
Try to install openbox and log into the panda with selecting the clear
"openbox" session.
Right click, start a terminal, and totem your movie.
This runs for me like a charm with 1080p fullscreen mode (press "f").
regards

Nicolas Dechesne

Dec 6, 2011, 4:26:26 AM12/6/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 7:54 AM, christian667
<christ...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Try to install openbox and log into the panda with selecting the clear
> "openbox" session.
> Right click, start a terminal, and totem your movie.
> This runs for me like a charm with 1080p fullscreen mode (press "f").
> regards

indeed. the default Unity2D UI is enabling the 'compositing manager'
in metacity. it's enabled to offer the visual effects required by
Unity2D. Enabling this option will end up with a higer 'load' on the
GPU since the XRender extension is used.

since we also rely on GPU to render the video using GST pvrvideosink,
that might impact the overall performance.

if you switch to openbox (or any other non composited environment) the
net effect will be an increase in the video performance because the
GPU is not loaded by UI elements. You can use xfce (xubuntu) or even
install the Gnome standard desktop fallback to get the same effect.

Oliver Urbann

Dec 6, 2011, 1:48:50 PM12/6/11
to pandaboard
Hi,

all this does not work for me. Even with lxde desktop the totem plays
1080p mkv files jerky (by showing old frames). Only using gst-launch
playbin2 uri="file:///myfile" video-sink="pvrvideosink" works nearly
perfect, but then I do not have any buttons or a fullscreen mode.

Nicolas Dechesne

Dec 6, 2011, 4:47:51 PM12/6/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com

that looks like a different issue. if you can play the file with
playbin2 that rules out any issue with Ducati or pvrvideosink. somehow
totem is not generating the right pipeline.

can you run:

GST_DEBUG_DUMP_DOT_DIR=/tmp totem <your file>

and pastebin the content of the generate .dot files in /tmp?

Ken M.Hwang

Dec 7, 2011, 2:13:52 AM12/7/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com

Olivier Deprez

Dec 7, 2011, 9:41:31 AM12/7/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com

Ken,

temporarily solved this by using an earlier sourcery version e.g.
gcc version 4.4.1 (Sourcery G++ Lite 2010q1-202)

Note as well I had to define an empty function because of probable issues with floating point emulation options....

int raise() {
  return 0;
}

hope it helps

Olivier.

Erik Andresen

Dec 7, 2011, 4:22:48 AM12/7/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

try -mcpu=cortex-a9 instead of -march.

..or try older compiler. Worked for me with 2009 release.

greetings,
Erik

Oliver Urbann

Dec 7, 2011, 2:11:23 PM12/7/11
to pandaboard

On 6 Dez., 22:47, Nicolas Dechesne <nde...@gmail.com> wrote:

> that looks like a different issue. if you can play the file with
> playbin2 that rules out any issue with Ducati or pvrvideosink. somehow
> totem is not generating the right pipeline.
>
> can you run:
>
> GST_DEBUG_DUMP_DOT_DIR=/tmp totem <your file>
>
> and pastebin the content of the generate .dot files in /tmp?

here it is:
http://pastebin.com/9XnFcUwc

Thx for you help.

Nicolas Dechesne

Dec 9, 2011, 1:05:48 PM12/9/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com

quick update: we do in fact reproduce this problem as well. only in
full screen it's almost as if old frames gets re-displayed. it seems
to be related to gst-plugins-bad (this is where pvrvideosink is
implemented). with an older version we don't see the problem. we will
debug/fix and push an update in the PPA. thanks for reporting!

Dmytro F

Dec 24, 2011, 5:15:52 AM12/24/11
to pandaboard
Any progress?
BTW, where can I start if I want to implement YV12 & YUY2 for xv
extension of X.org driver?

Best regards,
Dmytro

Nicolas Dechesne

Dec 28, 2011, 4:53:57 AM12/28/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Dmytro F <fed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any progress?

not yet, likely early next year now since most folks are on vacations right now.

> BTW, where can I start if I want to implement YV12 & YUY2 for xv
> extension of X.org driver?

we used to support it with Ubuntu 10.10 OMAP4 extras. It was
implemented in our X11 driver (released as binary only). We are
currently working on a different implementation based on DRI2, see
http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2011-September/024812.html.

you might want to check with rob to see if he needs help.

Thanh H Tran

Jan 3, 2012, 9:04:36 PM1/3/12
to pandaboard
I'm facing this same issue. I.e the video plays slowly (like lost
frame when playing in full screen mode. It doesn't matter what
resolution the original video was at. My video is in the USB drive.
I'm using the prebuilt Ubuntu 11.04 arm for Omap4 image. I've
installed the Ubuntu-Omap4-extra package. The Ubuntu root file system
is also in the USB drive. The TV is a 1080p. The CPU utilization is
at 100% when the video is played at full screen. It plays fine when
it's in a small window. The video player is the mplayer.

I have no clue on how to set the pvrvideosink or videosink?

I see some errors in the dmesg: "OMAPLFBReInitFBDev: Could not reinit
device" (my dmesg is here: http://pastebin.com/bhJ6zpdY). Would this
cause the problem?

How do I solve this please?

Thanks

-Thanh

Nicolas Dechesne

Jan 4, 2012, 4:19:12 AM1/4/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
2012/1/4 Thanh H Tran <than...@gmail.com>:

> I'm facing this same issue. I.e the video plays slowly (like lost
> frame when playing in full screen mode. It doesn't matter what
> resolution the original video was at.  My video is in the USB drive.
> I'm using the prebuilt Ubuntu 11.04 arm for Omap4 image.  I've
> installed the Ubuntu-Omap4-extra package. The Ubuntu root file system

we never released h/w acceleration for 11.04. so if you use 11.04 ,
video will be decoded using s/w decoder only.

> is also in the USB drive. The TV is a 1080p.  The CPU utilization is
> at 100% when the video is played at full screen. It plays fine when

expected with s/w decoders.

> it's in a small window.  The video player is the mplayer.

for now we release video h/w acceleration as GST plugins, so you need
to use a GST based video player. mplayer is not using GST. so even if
your system had video h/w acceleration mplayer would not use it. totem
uses GST.

> I have no clue on how to set the pvrvideosink or videosink?
>
> I see some errors in the dmesg: "OMAPLFBReInitFBDev: Could not reinit
> device" (my dmesg is here: http://pastebin.com/bhJ6zpdY). Would this
> cause the problem?
>
> How do I solve this please?

reinstall with 11.10, dist-upgrade, install the OMAP extras, and use
GST based player. it will be using pvrvideosink by default.