Troubleshooting PANDA install on our server

Tom Meagher

Jun 1, 2012, 2:19:00 PM6/1/12
to panda-pro...@googlegroups.com
Panda-teers,

I'm trying to get PANDA installed on our server here. Our IT
department set me up with a virtual machine with Ubuntu 11.10.
Followed the instructions, got the panda-setup.sh and ran it. It
appeared to work. The install log looks like it was successful (see
the tail below), but when I point my browser at the IP address or the
domain name for the server, I get this error:
uWSGI Error

Python application not found

Can you help me figure this out?

The tail of the panda-install-log:

uwsgi start/running, process 21825
+ wget -nv https://raw.github.com/pandaproject/panda/0.1.4/setup_panda/celeryd.conf
-O /etc/init/celeryd.conf
2012-06-01 13:06:28
URL:https://raw.github.com/pandaproject/panda/0.1.4/setup_panda/celeryd.conf
[322/322] -> "/etc/init/celeryd.conf" [1]
+ initctl reload-configuration
+ service celeryd start
celeryd start/running, process 21834
+ wget -nv https://raw.github.com/pandaproject/panda/0.1.4/setup_panda/panda.cron
-O /etc/cron.d/panda
2012-06-01 13:06:28
URL:https://raw.github.com/pandaproject/panda/0.1.4/setup_panda/panda.cron
[85/85] -> "/etc/cron.d/panda" [1]
+ echo 'PANDA installation complete.'
PANDA installation complete.

What am I missing?

Thanks, Tom

www.tommeagher.com // twitter @ultracasual // 347.328.9265

Tom Meagher

Jun 1, 2012, 2:38:42 PM6/1/12
to panda-pro...@googlegroups.com
My colleague in IT spotted this problem, which, of course, was just
above the tail of the install log:

+ sudo -u panda -E python manage.py syncdb --noinput
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "manage.py", line 3, in <module>
from django.core.management import execute_manager
ImportError: No module named django.core.management
+ sudo -u panda -E python manage.py migrate --noinput
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "manage.py", line 3, in <module>
from django.core.management import execute_manager
ImportError: No module named django.core.management
+ sudo -u panda -E python manage.py loaddata panda/fixtures/init_panda.json
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "manage.py", line 3, in <module>
from django.core.management import execute_manager
ImportError: No module named django.core.management
+ sudo -u panda -E python manage.py collectstatic --noinput
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "manage.py", line 3, in <module>
from django.core.management import execute_manager
ImportError: No module named django.core.management

For some reason Django wasn't installed correctly. Advice?

Tom

www.tommeagher.com // twitter @ultracasual // 347.328.9265

Joe Germuska

Jun 1, 2012, 2:43:10 PM6/1/12
to panda-pro...@googlegroups.com
Tom:

Can you put the whole install log up as a git gist or a pastebin or something?

Thanks
Joe
--
Joe Germuska
J...@Germuska.com * http://blog.germuska.com * http://twitter.com/JoeGermuska

"Learn to fear any church that fears drums." --Regie Gibson

Tom Meagher

Jun 1, 2012, 2:47:27 PM6/1/12
to panda-pro...@googlegroups.com
Sure, Joe. Here it is: https://gist.github.com/9446f5e0c928aaa92358

Thanks, Tom

www.tommeagher.com // twitter @ultracasual // 347.328.9265

Christopher Groskopf

Jun 1, 2012, 3:09:10 PM6/1/12
to panda-pro...@googlegroups.com
*Sigh* It looks like lxml timed out while downloading a dependency and
that blew up the whole requirements installation process. It should be
safe to rerun the setup script from the beginning. Let me know if it
happens again, but I suspect it's just somebody's glitchy webserver.

Chris

Tom Meagher

Jun 1, 2012, 3:16:11 PM6/1/12
to panda-pro...@googlegroups.com
I just re-ran the setup-panda.sh bash script and it looks like the
same errors got thrown on the lxml timeout and the later django
commands. I'll give it a try tomorrow and see if the servers are
cooperating a bit better then unless you think there's something else
I can/should do now.

Thanks, Tom

www.tommeagher.com // twitter @ultracasual // 347.328.9265

Christopher Groskopf

Jun 1, 2012, 3:36:42 PM6/1/12
to panda-pro...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm, curiously I was able to get it to install twice, so either you
had bad luck with PyPi (the dependency server) or something else is
awry. Off the top of my head I'm not sure what it would be. Can you
try manually running the lxml install command and see what happens?

sudo pip install lxml==2.3.1

Cheers,
Chris

Tom Meagher

Jun 1, 2012, 3:40:03 PM6/1/12
to panda-pro...@googlegroups.com
A very similar error:

admin@panda1:~$ sudo pip install lxml==2.3.1
Downloading/unpacking lxml==2.3.1
Downloading lxml-2.3.1.tar.gz (3.1Mb): 598Kb downloaded
Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip/basecommand.py", line 126, in main
self.run(options, args)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip/commands/install.py",
line 223, in
run
requirement_set.prepare_files(finder,
force_root_egg_info=self.bundle, bundl
e=self.bundle)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip/req.py", line 955, in prepare_files
self.unpack_url(url, location, self.is_download)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip/req.py", line 1072, in unpack_url
return unpack_http_url(link, location, self.download_cache, only_download)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip/download.py", line 441,
in unpack_h
ttp_url
download_hash = _download_url(resp, link, temp_location)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip/download.py", line 366,
in _downloa
d_url
chunk = resp.read(4096)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 380, in read
data = self._sock.recv(left)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 561, in read
s = self.fp.read(amt)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 380, in read
data = self._sock.recv(left)
timeout: timed out

Storing complete log in /home/sladmin/.pip/pip.log

www.tommeagher.com // twitter @ultracasual // 347.328.9265

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Christopher Groskopf

Joe Germuska

Jun 1, 2012, 3:41:47 PM6/1/12
On Jun 1, 2012, at 2:40 PM, Tom Meagher wrote:

> Downloading lxml-2.3.1.tar.gz (3.1Mb): 598Kb downloaded

that's weird, it's getting some of it and then timing out...

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
J...@Germuska.com * http://blog.germuska.com * http://twitter.com/JoeGermuska

"Participation. That's what's gonna save the human race." --Pete Seeger

Tom Meagher

Jun 1, 2012, 4:39:21 PM6/1/12
to panda-pro...@googlegroups.com
Success!!

I just tried to reinstall lxml. That worked, so I reran the panda bash
script and I'm in. Thanks for your help, Chris and Joe!