OWF Configuration - Creating Widgets enmass

Glaceau

Dec 1, 2014, 5:29:16 PM12/1/14
to ozoneplat...@googlegroups.com
I have over a dozen widgets that I need to set up. The process is click Create, enter the URL in the Import Widget field, click Load, click Apply, Close...repeat.

I was wondering if there were some way to automate this process...via a bash script possibly?

Tina Coleman

Dec 1, 2014, 6:19:48 PM12/1/14
to ozoneplat...@googlegroups.com

One of our Next Century team members contributed a owf-widget-load tool to the commuinty, available at https://github.com/kentbutler/owf-widget-load.  It uses cert-based authentication to interact with a running OWF instance as a user, and load the widgets or dashboards listed in a CSV file.  The tool was last tested against OWF7.0(.1??).  Rereading the description of the CSV fields, I also see that the tool will allow the CSV to indicate what groups a widget or dashboard should be granted to.

Another technique used to move widgets from OWF instance to OWF instance is to include them in a dashboard in one instance, make the dashboard available in a stack, and then export the stack.  That exported stack file will then include all of the information for the included widgets.  That file can then be used to import the same stack in another OWF instance, which will then bring in all of the widget definitions.  You would then assign widgets to groups.  Importing the stack does not mean that you’d need to assign the dashboard or the stack to users in your new instance: you could purely use the stack as a widget definition vehicle.

Tina Coleman

NEXTCENTURYCORPORATION
7075 Samuel Morse Drive, Suite 250 | Columbia, MD 21046
m 443.545.3100 | f 443.285.0799 |www.nextcentury.com

Glaceau

Dec 1, 2014, 6:37:46 PM12/1/14
to ozoneplat...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tina. My widgets are changing fairly regularly (new ones added, old ones removed, etc) so I think option 1 might be the best bet.

I'll give it a shot and report back.