Brad Cannon

Apr 2, 2012, 8:14:18 PM4/2/12
to oxford...@googlegroups.com
Mtb time trial Tuesday afternoon at 5:30! Meet at the whirlpool gate at 5 for a pre ride.

iteach...@aol.com

Apr 3, 2012, 10:21:08 PM4/3/12
to oxford...@googlegroups.com

Another cyclist hit on the bridge where Patrick Ytsma lost his life. Fortunately, this cyclist survived, and quick-thinking witnesses blocked the fleeing driver's attempted escape.

Interestingly, this driver will probably be the first driver charged with violating Pennsylvania's new 4 foot safe passing law. As I've maintained on several occasions, rather than being disappointed that police are not

tailing cyclists looking for buzzing violations, this enhanced ability to charge a driver post-crash is one of the real benefits of the safe passing laws.

http://bethlehempolice.blogspot.com/2012/04/another-expert-cyclist-hit-by-car-on.html

Rick

Jerry Wexler,lmt/nct
iteach...@aol.com

iteach...@aol.com

Apr 9, 2012, 3:05:44 PM4/9/12
to oxford...@googlegroups.com

7. HOW MANY CYCLISTS ARE KILLED AND INJURED EACH YEAR?

In 2001, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported that 728 bicyclists were killed in crashes with motor vehicles and 45,000 were injured. These numbers represent 2 percent of the total number of people killed and injured in traffic crashes. In 2000, the number of fatalities dipped below the 700 mark for the first time in the past decade. Recent data also shows that there has been a 14% reduction in fatalities among cyclists between 1997 and 2007.: Source : National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (PDF)
YearFatalitiesInjuries
200769843,000
200677244,000
200578645,000
200472741,000
200362946,000
200266548,000
200172845,000
200069051,000
199975051,000
199876053,000
199781458,000
199676559,000
199583361,000
1994802
1993816
1992723
1991843
1990859

Jerry Wexler,lmt/nct
iteach...@aol.com

Paxton Little

Apr 9, 2012, 7:00:51 PM4/9/12
to oxford...@googlegroups.com
This is the video of the hit and run from the traffic cameras.

iteach...@aol.com

Apr 9, 2012, 8:03:26 PM4/9/12
to oxford...@googlegroups.com
One would have to have full leave of one's senses to bike on that crowed bridge----legal or not!

Jerry Wexler,lmt/nct
iteach...@aol.com

Trigger

Apr 9, 2012, 8:04:07 PM4/9/12
to Oxford Cycling
So does the law in that state not require the cyclist to ride as far
right can be safely done?

Robert Garrett

Apr 9, 2012, 8:09:46 PM4/9/12
to oxford...@googlegroups.com
I agree, crazy place to ride.

Lane sign said...."Cyclist may take entire lane."

Chris Lee

Apr 9, 2012, 8:14:30 PM4/9/12
to oxford...@googlegroups.com

GREGORY J LOVE

Apr 9, 2012, 10:16:44 PM4/9/12
to oxford...@googlegroups.com
As a forum for cyclists, I would appreciate it if we stopped blaming victims.

This was a hit and run accident as the video clearly shows--and the guy was clearly in his right to ride there and in that manner (4' law in Penn).

From: GREGORY J LOVE <gjl...@olemiss.edu>
To: oxfordcycling <oxford...@googlegroups.com>

Robert Garrett

Apr 10, 2012, 8:11:30 AM4/10/12
to oxford...@googlegroups.com
I wasn't blaming the cyclist. I agreed with another post that I would never ride there, but if you looked at the next sentence in my post I stated that the cyclist had the right to the entire lane as stated by the sign on the road. He was not in the wrong but I thought common sense showed (me at least) that the bridge he was riding on was dangerous.

Robert

Sent from my iPad

Trigger

Apr 10, 2012, 11:29:20 AM4/10/12
to Oxford Cycling
I'm not blaming the cyclist either, but in this particular case, I'm
not gonna feel sorry for him either. There's the law and then there
is common sense. Just as we demand respect and courtesy from drivers,
they should expect the same from us. Just because we have the right
to the road doesn't mean we have to make asses of ourselves. If you
have the right to the whole road and you go up a hill in the middle of
the lane and back up traffic for half a mile, then your within your
rights I guess, but you're also an ass and certainly not helping the
cause of cyclists. Of course, this is just my personal opinion, you
may not agree.

On Apr 10, 7:11 am, Robert Garrett <rgarre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wasn't blaming the cyclist. I agreed with another post that I would never ride there, but if you looked at the next sentence in my post I stated that the cyclist had the right to the entire lane as stated by the sign on the road. He was not in the wrong but I thought common sense showed (me at least) that the bridge he was riding on was dangerous.
>
> Robert
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Apr 9, 2012, at 9:16 PM, GREGORY J LOVE <gjl...@olemiss.edu> wrote:
>

> > As a forum for cyclists, I would appreciate it if we stopped blaming victims.
>
> > This was a hit and run accident as the video clearly shows--and the guy was clearly in his right to ride there and in that manner (4' law in Penn).

Rael64

Apr 10, 2012, 11:57:58 AM4/10/12
to oxford...@googlegroups.com
Either one agrees with the idea of a bicycle being a vehicle just as a car is a vehicle, or not.  It's a choice, just as it is a choice to drive a car or not.  But the law says that a bicycle is a vehicle just as any motorized vehicle is a 'vehicle'.  That of course doesn't make me 'safe' on my bike, but the only reason I am more safe in my car is that I'm am better protected.

As a cyclist, though, I don't particularly want special treatment; simply the same respect that all other vehicles and their drivers receive and give one another (or at least, the theoretical respect given and received - but that is another issue entirely).  I've even kept my mouth shut about the bike lanes being built here in Oxford, but were I to vent a bit, I'd say they are a waste of money, and they actually make it more dangerous for the cyclist.  In short: does anyone really believe that a stripe down the road separating a bicyclist from a moving car will protect the cyclist any better?  Toss in (literally) debris, garbage cans, parked cars, and all the other trash that naturally accumulates on the side of the road, and a bike lane is nothing but a hazard.  To travel in one is to be expected to *stay* in one, i.e. become even more invisible than usual; and when you need to whip out into the 'car lane', you'd better be prepared to stop to be let in, lest you get smacked for changing a lane abruptly.

And find me that bike lane that is free and clear, like the nice big ones on campus...unless there is a game; the ones on Molly Barr...unless there is a truck parked in one, discarded lumber, or mounds of runoff.  Bike lane = gutter.

I am the most safe out in the road where I can, again, theoretically, be seen.  And that is where I ride, albeit towards the right.  I do play nice; I stop at signs and signals; I use arm signals when possible, but I take up the lane too when, as in the video, on a tight bridge.

As for the bridge vid, to designate it as 'unsafe' is to say it is unsafe for a bicycle, which is simply wrong, is to discriminate against a certain type of vehicle.  It is only unsafe when the cars behind do not slow down for the extra 15 seconds it will take them to cross.  Is it the best route for a cyclist?  It depends mostly upon how fast one can pedal.  At 15-20 mph, again, it may slow traffic, but a speed limit is a *maximum*, not a minimum.  Cars have no right to pass another car if it is doing 15 mph, which leads into that gray area of why is it okay to pass a bicycle when the road striping says otherwise.

Suffice it to say, if a person does not want to bike on a road, then don't.  But don't force me to ride in the gutter.  And don't make my bike anything less that what it is: a vehicle.

Don M.

Apr 12, 2012, 10:03:28 PM4/12/12
to oxford...@googlegroups.com
What a senseless fool. The biker was in the middle of the lane on a crowded bridge. There is even a section on the side for pedestrians. Come on people, use common sense. Victim or not, cyclists and car drivers should respect each other both ways. Just because there is a "law" protecting cyclists, doesn't mean that you have a protective force-field around you and you're supposed to be some invincible badass. As a road cyclists for 8+ years, I've seen plenty of this avoidable crap, and it needs to stop. Ride on the side of the far side of the road at all costs. Riding in the middle of the road in a situation like that is just asking for it.

Rael64

Apr 13, 2012, 12:12:43 PM4/13/12
to oxford...@googlegroups.com
So it is disrespectful to ride a bicycle in a legal manner?  Granted, bicycle accidents could be avoided completely...if cyclists just stayed off the road.  And to ride in the center of the road - which is not illegal, mind you, depending upon the circumstances, i.e. "as close as practicable" - do you really consider this "asking for it"?  That's shameful, man.  It's outrageous.  That is exactly the kind of attitude that leads to cyclists getting run down.  "Had it coming."  "Shouldn't have been on the road."

Again, the law states otherwise.  Whether that law is being enforced or not is an entirely different issue, but the law (a main one being: Miss. Code Ann. § 63-3-1307  (2012)) says the cyclist has the right to ride in the center of a lane when "of a substandard width", which when you've a concrete wall to your right and no escape, riding to the left of center may make some sense.

And while I'm griping, if you look at that video again, notice from the first view the bus coming up behind the cyclist.  The bus moves into the left lane to pass.  Now note the white vehicle and the black vehicle behind it.  The white vehicle ends up behind the cyclist because the black vehicle quickly moves over behind the bus.  The camera angle changes, during which we can pretty safely theorize that the bus continued on by, the white car had backed off the wheel of the bicyclist, and the black car decided to whip back around into the right lane to pass the bus, or at least not get "stuck" behind it (we all hate being behind those slow vehicles, don't we?), and BAM, he smacked into the bicyclist he didn't see.

In other words, it probably wouldn't have mattered much where the cyclist was.  And the black car can rather safely be said to be operating in an erratic, if not illegal (multiple lane changes) manner.  Fortunately, the cyclist looked okay, and fortunately as well, the driver of the bus saw the whole thing and stopped the guy.  One can only hope they pull the hit-and-run driver's license for, oh, life, fine him about 25K, and take his car (but buy him a bicycle).  Jail time would not do much good, imo.

But "asking for it"? Man, that is just so screwed up.

Don M.

Apr 13, 2012, 1:22:58 PM4/13/12
to oxford...@googlegroups.com
It's them damn "black cars" you have to look out for.

Jerry Wexler,lmt/nct
iteach...@aol.com

Apr 13, 2012, 1:33:25 PM4/13/12
to Oxford Cycling
Thanks for the video.

Some of you guys think that that bridge is crowded?! You guys need to
bicycle commute in a large city or suburban area.

The video never shows a single car in the left lane except when they
are passing the cyclist. Did you see what happened? There was the
bus - silver car - black car. The bus passed the cyclist right as the
black car went to pass both the silver car and the bus. The black car
moved back into the right lane to overtake the bus on the right and
rear ended the cyclist. The silver car was able to stop short of the
black car.

From what I see, the black car was DRIVING RECKLESSLY. Every single
other vehicle in that video was able to uneventfully pass the
bicyclist. The video was captured at 3 pm, not rush hour. Except for
the concrete barrier on the right, that would be a great road to ride
on -- it is completely underutilized with a wide open left lane to
safely pass the cyclist.

It looks like there are 3 bridges relatively close to one another. By
the maps and highway numbering, this bridge is the LEAST crowded of
the three.

Apparently this bridge itself has some history. Another local avid
cyclist was killed on it in December. 30 years ago it had dedicated
bicycle lanes. There used to be a sidewalk and a shoulder, but the
city closed the sidewalk, added jersey barriers to the shoulder and
created a new sidewalk. To access the sidewalk, a bicyclist would
need to stop and lift his bicycle over the jersey barrier. That
sidewalk is narrow. (1) The cyclist would have to ride up to the
bridge, STOP on the bridge, and move his bike over the jersey
barrier. The alternative is to ride down to the water and carry his
bike up 4 flights of stairs. (2) The cyclist would have to deal with
runners who are seen passing shoulder to shoulder. And (3) the
cyclist would be breaking the law by riding on the sidewalk.

iteach...@aol.com

Apr 13, 2012, 5:37:14 PM4/13/12
to oxford...@googlegroups.com
I had several people tell me that today there was a cyclist(female) on hwy 30.  One of them(male) was behind 10 other cars who could not pass the biker. He was angry. He said she obviously is on her leisure and  the people behind her are trying to get to work. She should have at least pulled off and let the congestion relieve, but she did not. This kind of behavior, even though it is legal, is not going to do us any good. The driving public will pass laws to keep us off of some roads if they get pissed off enough. 30 is not a good road to ride leisurely on a work day or any time for that matter.
I don't know what to do about these errant  cyclists. Whatever we're doing is not working.

Jerry Wexler,lmt/nct
iteach...@aol.com

Rael64

Apr 13, 2012, 6:37:37 PM4/13/12
to oxford...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious as to why a car could not pass a bicycle on Hwy. 30.

But if you think she shouldn't be on Hwy. 30, that it's "not a good road to ride...any time for that matter," then you already believe there are some roads bicyclists should not be on.  You should be happy errant cyclists are going to get themselves banned, right?

So, are you complaining or just trolling, looking for attention?

Peace...
Don M.

Sent: Friday, April 13, 2012 4:37 PM
Subject: [OxfordCycling:11611]

Chris Mogridge

Apr 13, 2012, 6:45:44 PM4/13/12
to oxford...@googlegroups.com
Heck, let's go for a ride tomorrow instead of talking about it!  9 am from the square.  40 miles at a steady pace, not too fast.

Sent from my iPhone

iteach...@aol.com

Apr 13, 2012, 7:27:40 PM4/13/12
to oxford...@googlegroups.com
Why are you so defensive? You are damn correct there are some roads that cyclists should not be on! You believe it is ok to hold up a line of traffic of people trying to get to work. It is a narrow road and no shoulder. Cars could not pass because the road is winding and hilly with on coming traffic.
Errant cyclists are going to get themselves run over not banned or have you not been paying attention.
Are you a moron or just pretending?

Jerry Wexler,lmt/nct
iteach...@aol.com

Bart Ryan

Apr 14, 2012, 6:41:56 PM4/14/12
to oxford...@googlegroups.com, Rael64
Let's look at this from a metaphorical perspective:

The law says that murder is socially unacceptable and punished by law. Does murder still happen? Yes, it does (even in the sense of bikers being killed on the roads, unfortunately). And, if you knowingly and provokingly walk into an area with a known high rate of crime (specifically a high murder rate) and start trouble, you better believe something bad is bound to happen.

Also, if the law made it legal for you to go jump off a bridge, would you do it? Or would you use common sense and not wander there. Yes, a little sarcastic, but you get my point?

I'm just saying, don't expect the law to protect you from cars riding on the road; whether it be a wide open country road, or a busy metropolitan street during rush hour.
Use. Common. Sense.
Move over, be aware of your surroundings, and USE GOOD JUDGEMENT. We will NEVER achieve a mutual respect between cars and bikers until we begin to hold up our end of the deal. I think all can and should agree on this. If not, you really don't need to be riding on the the road, because you are endangering the lives of others, as well as yourself. Take care and be safe.

Bart Ryan
CPhT, Baptist Hospital
The University of Mississippi
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to OxfordCycling-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

iteach...@aol.com

Apr 14, 2012, 8:27:14 PM4/14/12
to oxford...@googlegroups.com
Well  said. Finally, the voice of reason..........................

Jerry Wexler,lmt/nct
iteach...@aol.com

Paxton Little

Apr 16, 2012, 9:53:24 PM4/16/12
to oxford...@googlegroups.com
A role model all Oxford cyclists can learn from...

Eric Dahl

Apr 16, 2012, 10:29:23 PM4/16/12
to oxford...@googlegroups.com
first time I've laughed at a post from OC in months...thanks for the comic relief, Paxton...ouch