Workshop, Talk, and Theme Night Suggestions

Lauren Hutchinson

Nov 18, 2013, 8:18:15 AM11/18/13
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

At the AGM last month and in the space recently, many people expressed an interest in us getting some more regular workshops, talks, and/or theme nights going.

As promised, at social night the other night a few of us brainstormed some suggestions for these.

Keep in mind we can do trainings on tools, single workshops, a hierarchical set of workshops that get harder in difficulty (ie. you have to do part 1 before part 4), with some effort certifications (ie. London Hackspace has had amateur radio foundation courses before), talks which are either participatory or not, or other hands-on events or installations either inside or outside of the space.  We can also build large things collaboratively if we have enough interest, and we have one parking space to work with (carefully) if people wanted to do anything car-related.

We even have a busking licence for up to 10 people available for the moment (and they're not hard to get) if we want.

Here're the ideas:

Workshop, Talk, and Theme Night Suggestions
====================================

1)  Soldering 101.

2)  3D Printer Training : we have two after all!  And two members will soon be equipped to have us building 5 at a time in a workshop if we like.

3)  Introduction to Arduino.

4)  Oxhack Flashmob Collective!  (Seriously, how overdue is this in this city.  Bring on the whimsy!)

5)  Textile Hacking : sewing and knitting, plus Lilypads, conductive thread and other textile electronics.  (One sewing machine could use fixing first.  Motor?)

6)  Quadcopters Inc. : finish our one and/or build new ones for personal use or to join the swarm.

7)  Music Hacking: make instruments out of bonkers things, play with, explore, and make tools and tracks, and riff off each other.  (Oxhack anthem?)

8)  Lockpicking!

9)  Blender, Photoshop, Lightroom and/or CAD software training.

10)  Talks: sit around and drink cold things and listen to people talk about their work, hobbies and/or dreams!  Get speakers in from the Uni or elsewhere, if we like.

11)  3D Turntable Building: build a 3D turntable for scanning people and things to then 3D print them.  Uses a KINECT and the instructions are on Thingiverse. Thanks to Steve, who made one, for the idea!

How much fun is this all going to be?!   Thoughts?  Other ideas?

The ones with the most immediate interest I'll get working on setting up ASAP.

Lauren

Tim Stephens

Nov 19, 2013, 4:53:43 AM11/19/13
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
To get the ball rolling, I'm interested in:

> 2) 3D Printer Training : we have two after all! And two members will soon
> be equipped to have us building 5 at a time in a workshop if we like.

> 8) Lockpicking!
>
> 9) Blender, Photoshop, Lightroom and/or CAD software training.
>
> 10) Talks: sit around and drink cold things and listen to people talk
> about their work, hobbies and/or dreams! Get speakers in from the Uni or
> elsewhere, if we like.

And can maybe contribute something to these:
> 1) Soldering 101.
> 3) Introduction to Arduino.
(I can also possibly share some basic knowledge about 3D CAD, but only on the package that I've actually used (which is mostly Inventor) or image editing with the GIMP.

Tim

Jane Charlesworth

Nov 19, 2013, 5:04:36 AM11/19/13
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy to lead a knitting workshop or an origami one. Shall we say that Wednesdays are a textile hacking day and put that on a calendar and I'll commit to being there? I can lead a knitting for beginners workshop if enough people are interested.

Jane

Ben Ward

Nov 25, 2013, 11:43:26 AM11/25/13
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Would anyone fancy an Oxford Flood Network sensor workshop?

Although some progress was made on hardware at Sushack we're in need of some practical experimentation on robust outdoor hardware that'll last on batteries.

This will involve some skills and very much relies on us helping each other:

Electronics things:
  • Arduino programming
  • Raspberry Pi programming
  • NodeRed
  • Power optimisation
  • Basic radio TX/RX (Ciseco SRF)
Physical things:
  • Case & weatherproof experiments
  • Fixing and location experiments
  • Documentation of best ideas
Hands up if you're interested.

Ben

Peter Lister

Nov 25, 2013, 11:56:09 AM11/25/13
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Lockpicking

Peter Gamble of Pick'n'Mix Circus (pick-n-mix.co.uk) will do a lockpicking workshop at a very reasonable rate (this being a public list, I won't quote it).

He's based in Barry (S Wales) but will do sessions out this way. He'll be entertaining, and can accommodate 20 or so people with no problems: he has a huge box of locks and tools. We'd need upstairs room.

If we were interested, he also does other things like whip-cracking, so we could maybe combine the two. Whips would need the big space...

Thoughts?
Peter

Jane Charlesworth

Nov 25, 2013, 12:36:03 PM11/25/13
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that sounds excellent!

I don't have that many skills but am eager to learn (have done a wee bit of Arduino & Raspberry Pi, but not much)

Jane

Jane Charlesworth

Nov 25, 2013, 12:36:43 PM11/25/13
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Lockpicking is great fun so a yes from me.

Thanks for asking about this.

Jane

Igor Nikolic

Nov 25, 2013, 1:53:11 PM11/25/13
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Does anyone know what is the exact legal status of owning lock-picks in the UK? I read somewhere (on the internets) that you can be arrested just for having them on you, even if there is no  evidence of intent to use them.

Thanks
igor

Tim Stephens

Nov 25, 2013, 3:51:43 PM11/25/13
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Ben,

On 25 Nov 2013, at 16:43, Ben Ward <ben@> wrote:

> Would anyone fancy an Oxford Flood Network sensor workshop?

I'm interested. If possible, not Tuesday nights please.

Tim

Tim Stephens

Nov 25, 2013, 3:52:00 PM11/25/13
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Yes please.

Tim
t...@tjstephens.com

Rob Church

Nov 25, 2013, 6:13:22 PM11/25/13
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested in a lockpicking workshop.

-Rob.

Jane Charlesworth

Nov 26, 2013, 4:51:00 AM11/26/13
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Igor,

It's legal to buy and own lock picks, for use on your own locks. However if you carry them around and are stopped and searched for whatever reason, the police can charge you with planning to break in somewhere (even though, as this page points out, why pick a lock when breaking a window is quicker and easier: http://www.devonlocks.com/legal.htm)

cheers

Jane

Kate

Nov 26, 2013, 12:14:33 PM11/26/13
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
the UK people from TOOOL had them - albeit the ones I was speaking to
work as locksmiths so can argue legitimate need I suppose

Peter Lister

Nov 26, 2013, 1:30:38 PM11/26/13
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com

Hi Igor,

> Does anyone know what is the exact legal status of owning lock-picks in the UK? I read somewhere (on the internets) that you can be arrested just for having them on you, even if there is no  evidence of intent to use them.

Peter Gamble has been a special constable and he talks about legal status in the workshops, as this is the question everyone asks.

So I'll base my answer on what he said to me earlier this year, which is no, you can't be arrested just for having them.  However, you'd be charged with "going equipped" if you were found in the dead of night at the back of someone's house carrying them or if there was any reasonable evidence that you were intending to use them for breaking and entering.

Mind you, "reasonable" would initially be down to the opinion of the police officer dealing with you.  If you did happen to come to the notice of the police  for any reason then - no matter how innocent you were - you might spend quite some time answering questions. So it's probably not a brilliant idea to habitually carry them around, even if you won't actually end up in court.

The good news is that "hobby lockpicking" is a perfectly good reason for carrying a set of lockpicks if, for the sake of argument, you were stopped in the dead of night just outside OVADA heading home from a lockpicking workshop.

Peter

Víctor Emilio Esteve

Nov 27, 2013, 4:24:14 AM11/27/13
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com

4)  Oxhack Flashmob Collective!  (Seriously, how overdue is this in this city.  Bring on the whimsy!)
5)  Textile Hacking : sewing and knitting, plus Lilypads, conductive thread and other textile electronics.  (One sewing machine could use fixing first.  Motor?)
7)  Music Hacking: make instruments out of bonkers things, play with, explore, and make tools and tracks, and riff off each other.  (Oxhack anthem?)

(One sewing machine could use fixing first.  Motor?) Yes, it has been proved.
Music Hacking -> more on sampling, etc.

I cannot believe nobody picked the 4th. Am I getting a wrong or this could be a meet-up somewhere, do an installation/space hack/intervention?

Glyn Kennington

Nov 27, 2013, 1:17:47 PM11/27/13
Ben Ward wrote:
> Would anyone fancy an Oxford Flood Network sensor workshop?
>
> Although some progress was made on hardware at Sushack we're in need of
> some practical experimentation on robust outdoor hardware that'll last on
> batteries.

Yes, a workshop might be a good way to keep interest up and demonstrate the
current state of the technology.

Glyn

Glyn Kennington

Nov 27, 2013, 1:29:32 PM11/27/13
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Most of these suggestions are things I'd try to keep my diary clear for, but
the ones where I wish to know more are....

> 2) 3D Printer Training
> 3) Introduction to Arduino.
> 4) Oxhack Flashmob Collective!
> 8) Lockpicking!

And to some extent

> 10) Talks

as, depending on levels of interest, this could be a low-pressure alternative
to the lightning-talks of Oxford Geek Nights.

Glyn

Pablo Arquer

Dec 2, 2013, 5:32:58 PM12/2/13
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am interested in these topics:

2)  3D Printer Training : we have two after all!  And two members will soon be equipped to have us building 5 at a time in a workshop if we like.
8)  Lockpicking!

10)  Talks: sit around and drink cold things and listen to people talk about their work, hobbies and/or dreams!  Get speakers in from the Uni or elsewhere, if we like.

And maybe some flashmob... ;)

In addition, if someone is interested, I can contribute with an introduction to computer security: serial code patching, network sniffing, wifi password cracking, network exploits and cross scripting. I could prepare some simple tests to show the concepts (a linux machine will be required).

Pablo

PS: There is a mistake in the dates of the oxhack front page for next days.

James Berry

Dec 3, 2013, 6:19:07 AM12/3/13
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm definately up for the computer security talk/workshop idea.

James

Jenny List

Feb 6, 2016, 8:11:18 AM2/6/16
to Oxford Hackspace
At the AGM last month and in the space recently, many people expressed an interest in us getting some more regular workshops, talks, and/or theme nights going.

Would there be any interest in a workshop on getting your PCBs made overseas?

It wouldn't be the longest workshop ever, but there are some things to master. Suggest the following:

Design rule checks
Panellising
Manufacturer's CAM specifications.
Making gerber files
Picking a supplier
What to specify when ordering

No super-rocket-science, but things that sometimes take a little figuring out first time.

Jenny

yargh...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2016, 8:50:41 AM2/6/16
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com

I would attend that workshop.

Sent from Outlook Mobile

Peter Lister

Feb 6, 2016, 9:33:15 AM2/6/16

On 06/02/16 13:50, yargh...@gmail.com wrote:

I would attend that workshop.

Sent from Outlook Mobile

Likewise.

Have we looked into whether it's practical to mill PCBs ourselves, if someone wants a prototype board TODAY?

It might be nice to know what the choices are.

All the best,
Peter

Jenny List

Feb 6, 2016, 10:35:15 AM2/6/16
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com

>Have we looked into whether it's practical to mill PCBs ourselves, if someone wants a prototype board TODAY?

AFAIK we can, there are some nice samples floating around. No solder resist though, which will no doubt make SMD work fun.

However this is a different thing, i.e. proper professional production quality boards, albeit for the inconvenience of a wait.

Adrian Godwin

Feb 6, 2016, 10:39:30 AM2/6/16
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Solder mask used to be difficult when it was silkscreened, but it can be done photographically now, just like etch resist. Probably not by a mill. Though you might try a vinyl cutter.

I haven't tried yet, but as I use more SMD parts I'm tempted.

Jenny List

Feb 6, 2016, 10:45:22 AM2/6/16
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com

Design rule checks
Panellising
Manufacturer's CAM specifications.
Making gerber files
Picking a supplier
What to specify when ordering

I mustn't forget to add gerber viewers to that list.