Introduction to Reverse Engineering Workshop || Saturday 13 Feb. @ 4pm

Lauren Hutchinson

Jan 29, 2016, 12:38:37 PM1/29/16
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

On Saturday, 13 February, from 4-6:15pm, Yvan will teach an introduction to reverse engineering workshop that delves into assembly and the workings inside programs.

It should be very illuminating, please invite your friends and see below for a description!

Cheers,

Lauren

=====================

Introduction to Reverse Engineering

Ever wanted to know what's actually happening in the program you're currently looking at? Interested in how things actually happen? Or how crackers broke the copy protection on your newly released application in your favourite App Store?  Well, those are things which can be taught.

Knowledge requirements

You are expected to know how to program - the language does not really matter.

Workshop contents:

We will first start out with a primer in assembly language for reverse engineering purposes, and explaining basic constructs such as registers, conditional jumps, memory access and functions.

Afterwards, we will start with looking at a small application Yvan has designed to poke and prod into. You will learn how to make it do what you want, and not what he designed it to do. When time permits, we will also take a look at simple challenges here.

Technical requirements:

Freeware or trial versions of all the required tools will be brought to the space by Yvan. All tools will be publicly available tools. You will have to be able to run Windows tools, but all tools are compatible with Wine, so you don't have to run Windows. Legal-wise, no commercial software will be touched, and the tools are being sold by reputable software vendors.

Beth McMillan

Feb 5, 2016, 8:39:08 AM2/5/16
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
John & I will be there :D

Lauren Hutchinson

Feb 11, 2016, 7:07:37 PM2/11/16
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Just a reminder that the Reverse Engineering workshop will be happening tomorrow, Saturday 13th, from 4:00-6:15pm. All welcome!

Cheers,

Lauren

Yvan Janssens

Feb 12, 2016, 5:12:03 AM2/12/16
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Good morning everybody,

I will be serving the course material and tools over RDP through my laptop. It will be a requirement to have an RDP client to  carry out the exercises.

Installation instructions:

Windows:
It's built in. Type "Remote desktop" in your start search thing and you're done.

Linux/Ubuntu:
Install Remmina from https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/saucy/remmina/ or your favourite distributions' package repository

OS X:
You can use the Microsoft Remote Desktop client from the Mac App Store, which would work fine. I personally prefer CoRD though, which can be found at http://cord.sourceforge.net/. Both work, and I should have a copy of CoRD on me on a USB drive.

Yvan
Kind regards,

Yvan Janssens

Sent using CompuServe 1.22

Beth McMillan

Feb 13, 2016, 11:04:46 AM2/13/16
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com

We're going to be slightly late, apologies.

Lauren Hutchinson

Feb 13, 2016, 11:13:53 AM2/13/16
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
All good. See you soon ;)

Jane Charlesworth

Feb 13, 2016, 12:04:49 PM2/13/16
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Aww, this sounds great, but I'm in San Francisco until tomorrow UK time.