Light Painting Workshop, Part 1 :: Monday, Feb. 23rd @ 8pm

Lauren Hutchinson

Feb 19, 2015, 5:46:34 PM2/19/15
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Just to let you know that Tim and Hugh have agreed to jointly hold us some persistence-of-vision light painting workshops over the next few weeks. These will teach us how to use light strips and an open shutter on our cameras to fill public spaces with ephemeral light graffiti and art of any design we can think of.

The first workshop in the series will be on Monday the 23rd, next week, at 8pm at the space.

This should be excellent, as both Tim and Hugh have a lot of experience with light painting.

Here is some of Tim's previous work:
And here is some of Hugh's previous laser and light work, though no light strip stuff:

http://www.hughpryor.co.uk/

Lastly, please see the light sign that Tim made us at our new location, up on the Oxhack site:

www.oxhack.org.

If you'd like to come along, please bring a computer if you can, ideas and/or pictures you'd like to use.

Pictures are best in 24-bit bitmap format if possible, with a maximum 60 pixel height.  In theory though, any picture can be used, so long as it fits in 60px height and/or you're ok with resolution not being great.

Please bring a rain jacket in case we have to use the outdoors rather than the darkened main hall to take our photos.

Hope to see you there, ;)

Lauren

Tim Stephens

Feb 22, 2015, 6:37:53 PM2/22/15
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
If you're coming and would like to make your own pictures, any/all of the following would be useful:

1) Ideas for cool pictures
2) Camera that can make long exposures (ideally 10s or more)
3) Tripod or mount for the camera
4) Laptop with a paint program, or photo editor to get images onto my LED strip (I use the GIMP, but pretty much anything should do as long as you know how to get 24b bitmaps out of it).

I'm also struggling to find my mini-displayport -> VGA adaptor (a.k.a. Thunderbolt -> VGA) so that I can show stuff on the TV. If you have one, please could you pop it in your bag.

Cheers,
Tim

Lauren Hutchinson

Feb 22, 2015, 9:17:58 PM2/22/15
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
What Tim said.

Also, you should know that within about 12 hours of advertising this, I received a call from an Oxford Mail reporter asking all about it, and about us and what a hackspace is. This is great because among other things, they didn't pick up the press release we jointly put out with Science Oxford about our proposed partnership. So hopefully this will help us a bit with exposure and put us on the radar.

So, an Oxford Mail photographer will be coming along a bit before the beginning of the workshop. S/he will only overlap with our part of the workshop by a little bit before leaving, because it's outside of their normal work hours, and they're making an exception for awesomeness.

So, if you're on the fence about coming along, do come help us put on a nice show! Be there from 7:40 if it's convenient because then you'll catch the photographer and we can try to get better pictures in the paper. Bring good ideas or images if you can and help Tim and Hugh be less freaked out. :D Apparently most images thus far are 90s video game references.

Thanks and see you later maybe,

Lauren
> To post to this group, send an email to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com.

iamthespaceinvader .

Feb 23, 2015, 3:35:16 AM2/23/15
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
What's the maximum resolution for the images?  I started to sprite work looking to make a favicon for the space which I might be able to finish off between getting home and 8pm...

Probably can't make it down though unfortunately.

Phil

Tim Stephens

Feb 23, 2015, 3:54:10 AM2/23/15
On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 08:34:55AM +0000, iamthespaceinvader . wrote:
> What's the maximum resolution for the images? I started to sprite work
> looking to make a favicon for the space which I might be able to finish off
> between getting home and 8pm...

60pixels tall by as long as you like (within reason).

Tim

iamthespaceinvader .

Feb 23, 2015, 4:47:26 AM2/23/15
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Cool cool.  I'll see what I can do.

Am I right in thinking it can do animated images, too?

I can supply some GIFs of sprite animations I made for the game I used to work on if that would be appreciated.

Phil

Jane Charlesworth

Feb 23, 2015, 5:13:06 AM2/23/15
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm guessing the animations on Tim's site are made by doing multiple exposures with different frames.

Jane Charlesworth

Feb 23, 2015, 5:31:08 AM2/23/15
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to do a roller-derby-themed image of some sort. Unfortunately our team logo has two large blackbirds in it, which won't work well. I'm going to try editing to turn them into white black-birds, but it may be unicorn pooping rainbows.

Glyn Kennington

Feb 23, 2015, 5:41:58 AM2/23/15
Lauren Hutchinson wrote:
> So, an Oxford Mail photographer will be coming along a bit before the beginning of the workshop. S/he will only overlap with our part of the workshop by a little bit before leaving, because it's outside of their normal work hours, and they're making an exception for awesomeness.

Presumably the Mail's photographer will be taking regular photos, not
the long-exposure kind?

We should put the Oxford Mail logo in front of... something.

Glyn

Jane Charlesworth

Feb 23, 2015, 5:54:52 AM2/23/15
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do long exposures. It's simply a matter of changing camera settings and keeping the camera stationary on a tripod. Good idea to do an Oxford Mail logo, though.

Jane Charlesworth

Feb 23, 2015, 5:59:50 AM2/23/15
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
ps some microbes would be awesome to do:

I'll have a play after work to make some appropriately sized ones.

iamthespaceinvader .

Feb 23, 2015, 6:05:13 AM2/23/15
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Phil

Nick Kolpin

Feb 23, 2015, 6:11:59 AM2/23/15
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Phil, a Wesnoth battle at OxHack would be cool to see...

Tim Stephens

Feb 23, 2015, 6:24:03 AM2/23/15
On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 10:54:51AM +0000, Jane Charlesworth wrote:
> Good idea to do an Oxford Mail logo, though.

Heh. I was thinking of our logo, although I'm not sure how well the various textures will show up. ;-D

Jane Charlesworth

Feb 23, 2015, 7:29:58 AM2/23/15
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Which logo is that?

Lauren Hutchinson

Feb 23, 2015, 7:54:33 AM2/23/15
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
I still say we need the back end of a receding badger in addition to a load of "Nope nope NOPE nOpE" floating in daft places around the scene, like along tree branches.

However, due to unforeseen events today it won't be me that can make that in time. Anyone else who wants to, please be my guest ;)

Hugh Pryor

Feb 23, 2015, 9:30:18 AM2/23/15
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com

Hey folks! Does anyone have 8 CR2016 3V penny batteries for the LEDs?

Just been to Poundland to find they're out. All the other shops are selling them for no less than £2.50 each whereas the'yre 4 for a pound...

Jane Charlesworth

Feb 23, 2015, 11:35:25 AM2/23/15
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Try Poundland near where you live?

On 23 February 2015 at 14:30, Hugh Pryor <pryorw...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey folks! Does anyone have 8 CR2016 3V penny batteries for the LEDs?

Just been to Poundland to find they're out. All the other shops are selling them for no less than £2.50 each whereas the'yre 4 for a pound...

iamthespaceinvader .

Feb 23, 2015, 1:36:23 PM2/23/15
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Aliased all to hell but it'll do at a pinch.

Phil
sprite logo.gif

iamthespaceinvader .

Feb 24, 2015, 3:45:26 AM2/24/15
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
So how did it go?

Phil

Jane Charlesworth

Feb 24, 2015, 4:40:59 AM2/24/15
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
It was great fun. Shame more people didn't turn up, though.

Glyn Kennington

Feb 24, 2015, 4:41:31 AM2/24/15
iamthespaceinvader . wrote:
> So how did it go?

The photographer got some shots of people moving around in a laser
beam, and of flames all over the stairs.

He also introduced a single flash at the start of the exposure, allowing
a well-lit shot of the whole scene and anyone in it, before they moved
off to draw light-shapes in the gloom.

After he'd gone, we messed about with pictures of a bacteriophage and a
cat's face. In the dark without the flash, this lost the effect of
super-imposing, but it was possible to add outlines by lighting up parts
of the wall with a torch.

As it was raining, we didn't try anything outside. We had some ideas
for further projects, mostly involving computer game sprites in open
spaces.

Glyn

iamthespaceinvader .

Feb 24, 2015, 4:58:10 AM2/24/15
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good.  Sorry I couldn't get there; I'll try to arrange it next time.

Sprites, I can supply, probably.  GPLed, even.

Phil

Peter Lister

Feb 24, 2015, 6:33:07 AM2/24/15

On 24/02/15 09:41, Glyn Kennington wrote:
> The photographer got some shots of people moving around in a laser
> beam, and of flames all over the stairs.
A casual glance at the picture might suggest that Tim really had set
fire to OVADA...

The photographer (apologies, Mr Photographer I forgot your name) seemed
to be having a good time. He also does wildlife photography and has
ideas about light painting against woodland trees. I pointed him towards
oxhack.org and this list for tech help.

All the best,
Peter