Open Source Architecture Workshop | Thurs. Nov. 6th @ 6:30pm

Lauren Hutchinson

Nov 1, 2014, 2:47:55 PM11/1/14
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

An open source architecture workshop will be held in the space before social night this coming Thursday.  It will be one hour long plus questions, and it sounds like it should be pretty interesting.  Here's the description:

Workshop: "Soil is the Most Open Source Material"

Charlie Fisher is a local architect and activist who will be talking to us about the open source architecture (OSA) movement, the development of the WikiHouse open source construction set, and about a local citizen-surveying project using smartphones.

Charlie has been involved with the WikiHouse platform since 2012, when they began to discuss how to parametrize the kit in order to automate as many of the processes as possible, and the talk will include a live demo of the software on our TV.

He will also talk about OSA projects that are starting up or ongoing in the Oxford area, how to get involved with them, and how skills in web dev, engineering, and/or interest in housing social justice could be put to good use in these projects if you want to help.

Hopefully see you there,

Lauren

iamthespaceinvader .

Nov 1, 2014, 3:04:14 PM11/1/14
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Sounds interesting, I'll do my best to make it down.

Phil

Yves Conan

Nov 1, 2014, 3:28:02 PM11/1/14
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Any chance this could be recorded or broadcasted live?

Nov 1, 2014, 6:32:42 PM11/1/14
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com, Hugh Pryor
Cool, recording is good enough, I think. It's probably not worth the extra hassle to stream it.

Cheers,
Yves

Charlie is game if you can convince/set it up with Hugh.

Lauren Hutchinson

Nov 1, 2014, 6:36:00 PM11/1/14
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com, Hugh Pryor
​If you arrange it.  ;)

Kate

Nov 1, 2014, 7:40:02 PM11/1/14
On 01/11/14 22:32, Yves Conan wrote:
> Cool, recording is good enough, I think. It's probably not worth the
> extra hassle to stream it.

I have no idea how much trouble it would be to edit and transcode it
but uploading it to youtube, vimeo, archive.org would be good!

Personally I tend to watch youtube all the time - I'm currently watching
a bunch of stuff from the Kahn academy

thanks

kate

iamthespaceinvader .

Nov 1, 2014, 8:15:14 PM11/1/14
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Do we have an OxHack youtube channel?  If not, might be worth reserving it at least, if not uploading anything we get on video like this, or our announcement, or a few short clips like the ones Nick took when I was at microcontrollers and the video I never did actually see of the ArtWeeks Heath Robinson contraption firing in full.

Phil

Kate

Nov 1, 2014, 11:14:14 PM11/1/14
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
nope not as far as I know
and yes we should get it asap

it also leads into the education aspects of what we do,
one of the things I wish we could have is the infrastructure that would
allow any part of the space be used for creating a/v data
for example being able to hang lights if needed

nut that's a whole other thread waiting to happen

kate

On 02/11/14 00:14, iamthespaceinvader . wrote:
> Do we have an OxHack youtube channel? If not, might be worth reserving
> it at least, if not uploading anything we get on video like this, or our
> announcement, or a few short clips like the ones Nick took when I was at
> microcontrollers and the video I never did actually see of the ArtWeeks
> Heath Robinson contraption firing in full.
>
> Phil
>
> On 1 November 2014 23:39, Kate <dysh...@gmail.com
> <mailto:dysh...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> On 01/11/14 22:32, Yves Conan wrote:
> > Cool, recording is good enough, I think. It's probably not worth the
> > extra hassle to stream it.
>
> I have no idea how much trouble it would be to edit and transcode it
> but uploading it to youtube, vimeo, archive.org <http://archive.org>
> would be good!
>
> Personally I tend to watch youtube all the time - I'm currently watching
> a bunch of stuff from the Kahn academy
>
> thanks
>
> kate
>
> --

Jamie Lokier

Nov 2, 2014, 10:59:56 AM11/2/14
Kate wrote:
> nope not as far as I know
> and yes we should get it asap

Please *hold off* registering - I am on this case (no more than a week
- hassle me if not).

(I know it looks like nothing's happening up front but I'm working quite
hard on our web presence behind the scene and it'll come together. I've got
a bunch of our videos so I know we need a place for them.)

If you have videos, by all means get 'em ready, or send them to me if
you want.

There is an 'Oxford Hackspace' channel on *Vimeo*, and several videos
from the early days of Oxhack, that it would be good to keep. I'll
chase Oleg about that. If we have no use for it, at least we can get
the videos. (There's also #OxHack tag).

Youtube 'OxHack' is taken.

'Oxford Hackspace' isn't a permitted name - except by associating with
Google+. This is ok, all Oxhack G+ maintainers will be able to approve
and upload content, anyway like it or not, it's Youtube's future.

Make a Youtube channel *looks* like a no-brainer, but for a
non-personal channel it is possible to screw it up irreversibly.
Google is copying Facebook's social graph, and both currently are
nasty if accounts link up 'wrong'. (YT tends to link to a personal
Gmail account - and the only way to change the administrator later,
officially, is delete the person's Gmail account!)

(Trust me you don't want to know more, I spent hours chasing a similar
thing earlier this week, and I'll write up at some point.)

Best,
-- Jamie

iamthespaceinvader .

Nov 2, 2014, 11:28:31 AM11/2/14
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
No worries, won't do anything precipitate.

Phil

Kate

Nov 3, 2014, 12:17:49 AM11/3/14
On 02/11/14 15:59, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Kate wrote:
>> nope not as far as I know
>> and yes we should get it asap
>
> Please *hold off* registering - I am on this case (no more than a week
> - hassle me if not).

Just to make it clear, I am learning, this is something that falls
within your remit, it never even occurred to me that I should be doing
anything

> There is an 'Oxford Hackspace' channel on *Vimeo*, and several videos
> from the early days of Oxhack, that it would be good to keep. I'll
> chase Oleg about that. If we have no use for it, at least we can get
> the videos. (There's also #OxHack tag).

Oh wow

> Youtube 'OxHack' is taken.

drat - what about...

no I going to stop writing now as I have nothing useful to add

kate

Yves Conan

Nov 5, 2014, 5:19:23 PM11/5/14
to oxford-h...@googlegroups.com
Would anyone going to this event be able to produce a recording?  Video would be preferred over audio but either is fine.

I'll be awarding brownie points and kudos to any takers.