2017 "Ride the Trail for Elizabeth"

已查看 17 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Steve Vowles

未读,
2017年4月12日 21:05:322017/4/12
收件人 ottawabi...@googlegroups.com
The following was posted to the club's facebook page, but I'm emailing it as well for those who might not use facebook.

To all Ottawa area cyclists:

I would like to invite all area cyclists to join in what I believe to be a very worthwhile cause, not only for riders here but across Canada, and in fact for all Canadians. After a horrific and deadly cycling accident on a highway in Alberta a movement was begun to build the Trans-Canada Trail. It was to cross the country and be isolated from all motorized traffic for the enjoyment and safety of users. The target date for completion was this year, 2017, Canada’s sesquicentennial. To date much of it is incomplete, impassable, 3500 km is designated waterways (!?), much of it is open to and used by ATVs and dirt-bikes, and a very large percentage is now designated roads and highways, a total contradiction of the original intent.

Edmund Aunger and his wife, Elizabeth Sovis, were avid cyclists who annually took cycling vacations until she was stuck and killed by a drunk driver shortly after leaving the TCT in PEI, following a designated “cycling route” along a busy highway to their accommodations. She did not like having to ride on roads and so it had been her intention to retire and devote herself to trying to promote proper completion of the trail. Edmund has now taken up the cause and is on a 5 year mission to cycle across Canada raising awareness and support for completion of the trail as originally envisioned. It will end at Hunter River in PEI where his beloved wife was killed.

The final part of his trip this year will start at Parliament Hill on May 10 at 10:00 am following a short presentation. I would like to encourage as many cyclists as possible to join him there and ride with him on his first leg to Wakefield, and even beyond if you’re able and so inclined. The more supporters we can muster, the greater will be the impact of his efforts. (The first day’s ride is about 47 km, not at a fast pace, and somewhat hilly).

There will be a memorial service for his late wife in Hunter River on July 15. If by chance anyone is planning a cycling vacation in PEI around that time, a show of support there would also be great.

You can find detailed information on his website, “Ride the Trail for Elizabeth” at

http://www.ridethetrail.ca/

An article from the Edmonton Journal: "Road routes make a mockery of Trans Canada Trail" sums up some of the issues quite clearly:

http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/columnists/opinion-road-routes-make-mockery-of-trans-canada-trail. You will find many other media reports on his website.

Please note that Edmund is also preparing a petition to Parliament requesting an act to set minimum standards for the trail. It can be found at  https://petitions.parl.gc.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-957. If you agree, please sign this petition and have everyone you know do so as well.

I believe this should provide all the information needed, but if you have questions please feel free to contact me, or Edmund at  edmund...@ridethetrail.ca. His daily progress and comments can be found on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ridethetrail4

Please help me support Edmund in this great endeavour. Your support and his success will benefit us all. Please spread the word to any clubs or associations that you may be involved with and all your cycling friends.

Thanks!

Steve Vowles

回复全部
回复作者